Connect with us

Top News

Rachel Dolezal was ‘justified’ by the Black Lives Matter movement

Published

on

Rachel Dolezal was 'justified' by the Black Lives Matter movement

He still sees himself as a black person – and wants to play a role in encouraging racial equality.

But Rachel Dolezal, a white woman who claimed to be African-American in 2015, sparked a national scandal, ignoring the embarrassing years afterward, insisting she could help inspire fairer treatment of minorities.

“Race I identify as human, but culturally I identify as black,” Dolezal said in a telephone interview from his home in Spokane, Washington, where he made his living by braiding hair and selling his art.

“I really wish we could rework vocabulary. That’s part of challenging the racing world view. “

Dolezal, a single mother who changed her official name to Nkechi Amare Diallo in 2017 but left with Rachel socially, said she had been energized by a push for justice after George Floyd’s death.

But he acknowledged that the Black Lives Matter movement in his area had rejected his offer to get involved, even though he said he had good relations with individual protesters and members of the black community.

“Very much, most of the people I hear are black or mixed or non-white in some way and many people say this is your moment, you are justified,” Dolezal said. “I have received hundreds of messages. Most are very positive. “

He praised the sympathetic 2018 documentary, “The Rachel Divide,” for helping to change people’s minds about him.

“Netflix documentaries do help some people understand some context and background. I have received many apologies from people who have joined in on social media, “he said.

In June 2015, Dolezal claimed to be biracial when serving as president of the NAACP chapter in Spokane when a local news reporter revealed that his parents, Ruthanne and Lawrence Dolezal from Montana, were both white.

See also  The police detained gunmen near the Robert E. Lee monument in Virginia

The news broke the same month that Caitlyn Jenner was celebrated for her transition, but Dolezal lost her NAACP position and teaching work at Eastern Washington University. He struggled financially, he said, relying on friends to get money.

The sale of his memoir in 2018, “In Full Color,” helped, but he was later accused of welfare fraud for not reporting $ 84,000 in income to the state Department of Social Services and Health.

These days, Dolezal confuses political advocacy – he has undermined police, reparations and damaged “racist” monuments – with promoting his art, including a work he called “Truth be Told,” which featured white statues of George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Andrew Jackson and Franklin Roosevelt, covered in red paint.

Rachel Dolezal

Slaver, Rapist, Murderer, Racist, are the respective statements.

“It’s in a shadow box frame in four inches,” said Dolezal, who is hawking an effort for $ 1,000.

All of my art is for sale. This is a very bad deal compared to bananas stuck to the wall and sold for [$120,000]” he said with a laugh.

His family included his son, Franklin, 17, and Izaiah, 26, a foster brother to whom he obtained official guardianship. He also has a four-year-old child with autism. He said he planned to immediately move to Tucson to be with Franklin, a student at the University of Arizona.

There, he hoped for a new beginning.

“I have been waiting to move for 15 years,” he said. “It’s been a long time.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

The abolition of fees for teaching Portuguese abroad will not be accepted by parliament, MP says – Observer

Published

on

The abolition of fees for teaching Portuguese abroad will not be accepted by parliament, MP says - Observer

According to Socialist MP Paulo Pisco, the views of the BE, PCP and PAN on the abolition of fees for teaching Portuguese abroad were voted on Tuesday in a parliamentary committee.

The Committee on Foreign Affairs and Portuguese Communities voted on Tuesday in favor of four projects – from the Left Bloc, the Communist Party of Portugal, “People-Animal-Nature” and “Enough”, which mainly advocate the abolition of fees for teaching Portuguese abroad and free school textbooks.

According to Paulo Pisco, a socialist member of the commission, the opinions of the BE, PKP and PAN were approved, but Chega’s opinion deserved to be abstained from the PS because it contained “xenophobic elements” in its purpose.

The MP had in mind, in particular, the recipients of this teaching, which is currently intended not only for the Portuguese or the descendants of the Portuguese, but also for those who want to learn the Portuguese language, with which Chega allegedly disagrees, according to Paulo Pisco. .

THE PUB • CONTINUE TO READ BELOW

After the approval of these opinions, the abolition of the bribe would be discussed and voted on in the plenary session of the Assembly of the Republic, but Paulo Pisco said that they should not be approved, since the “commitment” of the government is different.

“The government’s obligation is to reduce the burden of the Portuguese” and this will always be determined “in every approved state budget”.

Continue Reading

Top News

Portuguese health minister rejects conflict of interest over marriage to president

Published

on

The health minister said there was no conflict of interest in her marriage to the current chairman of the Order of Dietitians, saying that the trusteeship of that body had been delegated to the Secretary of State for Health Promotion.


Portugal Digital with Lusa



“Honestly, I don’t think it exists. I have no doubt that this Lady Secretary of State will fill this leadership role,” Manuel Pizarro said on Monday (age 26) on the sidelines of the Pharmacist’s Day celebrations in Sintra, in the Lisbon area.

Aware of the possible conflict of interest, Manuel Pizarro explained that he took “the most appropriate measure (…)”, which was to entrust the functions of guardianship of the Order of Nutritionists to Margarida Tavares.”

“(…) Since I took office as a minister, I have been aware that, since professional organizations have an administrative oversight role, (…) there is a risk of conflict of interest, and I have taken the measures that seem to me the most appropriate, which from the very decided at the outset that he would delegate this oversight function over the Order of Nutritionists to the Secretary of State for Health Promotion,” he stressed.

When asked about the reasons why Margarida Tavares’ name still does not appear in the Diário da República, the official said that “it was necessary to wait for the inauguration of the secretaries of state” and then “to organize the whole process of delegation of authority.” .

“It’s even a good chance that there is a Secretary of State for Health Promotion. I think custody of the Order of Dietitians has been well handed over to the Secretary of State for Health Promotion,” he repeated, noting that “he definitely won’t go through the Minister’s order.” [da Saúde]”.

See also  Portuguese trio remains at the heart of ISA Junior World Cup - Surf

“If the secretary of state is responsible for this, it should not go through the minister,” he stressed.

Manuel Pizarro’s statements came after news that the government official may have a conflict of interest because he is married to the chairman of the Order of Dietitians, Alexandra Bento.

The Order of Dietitians was created in 2011 with the approval of the current Minister of Health, who at the time served as Secretary of State for Health.

In addition, Alexandra Bento was the only President of the Order of Occupational Health to attend the inauguration of Manuel Pizarro on 10 September.

Continue Reading

Top News

Portuguese newspaper criticizes CR7: “Less Ronaldo, more Portugal” | international football

Published

on

Portuguese newspaper criticizes CR7: "Less Ronaldo, more Portugal" |  international football

The cover of one of the most important sports newspapers in Portugal this Monday drew a critical tone against the greatest player in the history of the country.

+ See League of Nations table

On the eve of the day when the Portuguese national team will play with Spain and draw for reaching the semi-finals of the League of Nations, the daily newspaper “A Bola” printed a photo Cristiano Ronaldo stating that the player had lost influence in the team commanded by Fernando Santos.

“Less Ronaldo, more Portugal,” reads the headline.

The publication reports that the 37-year-old striker could start on the bench and lists some of the positives of his possible absence, such as the buffing of protagonist Bruno Fernandes. See below:

This Tuesday’s cover of A Bola is being printed by Cristiano Ronaldo – Photo: Reproduction

+ After shock and bleeding, Cristiano Ronaldo trains with a black eye in Portugal

Cristiano Ronaldo started and assisted in a 4–0 thrashing of the Czech Republic on the last round. He has only scored twice in his last eight caps, both against Switzerland.

Czech Republic 0 x 4 Portugal highlights in UEFA Nations League 2022

For Manchester United in the 2022/23 season, he started in three of the eight games played. In the last of them, against Sheriff from Moldova, in the Europa League, he scored for the first time.

Continue Reading

Trending