Connect with us

Top News

Melbourne will reinstate the corona virus locking for six weeks as Australia faces a potential second wave

Published

on

Melbourne will reinstate the corona virus locking for six weeks as Australia faces a potential second wave

Starting from 11:59 pm on Wednesday, residents in the Melbourne metropolitan city will no longer be allowed to leave their homes except to shop for groceries, care, exercise or work, Victoria’s Prime Minister Daniel Andrews announced Tuesday.

The steps, which are expected to remain in effect for six weeks, come when the state of Victoria sees another record in daily corona virus cases, with 191 new infections recorded for Tuesday. The state reported a previous high of 127 new cases on Monday.

“We know we are at the peak of something that is very, very bad if we don’t resolve this,” Andrews told reporters in Melbourne on Tuesday, describing the surge in cases as unsustainable.

“I think satisfaction has penetrated us when we let our frustrations be better than ours. I think each of us knows someone who hasn’t followed the rules as they should. I think each of us knows that we have no choice by taking steps which is very difficult, “Andrews said.

Victoria has previously re-applied local locking in dozens of suburbs around Melbourne. On Monday, authorities announced the border between Victoria and New South Wales (NSW) – the two most populous states in Australia – would close on Tuesday night, effectively cutting Victoria off from other parts of the country.

The border restrictions will also apply to the metropolitan Melbourne and Mitchell Shire, Victoria’s regional region, on Wednesday night to limit the spread of outbreaks throughout the state, Andrews said.

“We have talked about this virus which is like a public health fire. By installing rings around the metropolitan Melbourne, we are basically placing a perimeter to protect regional Victoria residents,” he said in a statement.

See also  YouTube star Trevi Moran came out as a transgender woman

“It’s clear we are at the peak of our second wave and we cannot let this virus penetrate our community.”

Under the new locking steps, cafes and restaurants that were allowed to reopen last week will return only to be brought home and sent. Beauty and personal services will be closed, as well as cultural and entertainment venues.

The school will extend their vacation for another week, but high school students and students in specialist schools will return to school as planned on Monday.

“This is not the place we want to be, but we must face the reality of our situation. Doing something else will have deadly consequences,” Andrews said.

Of the 191 new cases detected on Tuesday, 13 came from nine public housing units under “hard locking.”

About 3,000 residents in the densely populated tower were totally locked up late Saturday night, not allowed to leave their homes for any reason. So far, a total of 69 cases have been detected in this plantation, and the authorities aim to test each resident.

“The strategy here is to complete the test and then as soon as possible, after the test is completed, to have nine towers moved to the same footing that the rest of Melbourne will move at 11:59 p.m. tomorrow night – stay – at home with four reasons to leave,” said Andrews.

Coronavirus has infected more than 2,800 people and killed 22 in Victoria. Across Australia, more than 8,700 people have been infected and 106 have died, according to Johns Hopkins University calculations.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

Every Portuguese wastes 183 kg of food a year, and this is “inconceivable”.

Published

on

Every Portuguese wastes 183 kg of food a year, and this is "inconceivable".

President of the Portuguese Federation of Food Banks Against Hunger Isabelle Jonet considers food waste unacceptable and absurd, as every Portuguese wastes 183 kg of food a year.

As World Food Loss and Waste Awareness Day is celebrated, speaking at a conference on the subject in Lisbon, the official recalled statistics released by the National Statistical Institute and said the situation was “worse than expected.”

The data, official and published for the first time, refers to 2020 and shows that 1.89 million tons of food was wasted in Portugal this year, so each Portuguese wasted an average of 183.6 kilograms of food.

INE statistics show that families spend the most. The figures show that over 1.2 million tons of food was wasted by families this year, followed by catering with over 237 thousand tons, trade and distribution with 214 thousand tons, primary production with over 101 thousand tons and food . industry, about 61 thousand tons.

“We buy too much, we buy bad, we let it go bad. It is unacceptable that a third of what is produced ends up in the trash,” the official said, speaking at a debate organized by the United Movement Against Waste.

Ana Cristina Carrola of the Portuguese Environmental Protection Agency (APA), who also took part in the debate, stressed that the average amount of waste per year per inhabitant in the European Union is 173 kg, less than the 183 kg that is thrown away by the Portuguese.

“This is unthinkable in our day,” he lamented.

See also  Scheduling.com is laying off up to 25% of its workforce because of to coronavirus downturn

Continue Reading

Top News

Thanks to goals from Evanilson and Pepe, Porto beat Braga in Portuguese; Sporting wins too

Published

on

Thanks to goals from Evanilson and Pepe, Porto beat Braga in Portuguese;  Sporting wins too



Evanilson scored four goals in eight matches in the 2022/23 Portuguese Liga (Photo: MIGUEL RIOPA/AFP)

Photo: Lance!

After the draw in the last round Portuguese Championship, Porto won again. This Friday, the defending champions thrashed Braga 4-1 at the Dragau Stadium. Goals came from Evanilson, Eustaquio, Pepe and Galeno. Defender Pepe, against, got to the opponent.

Ex-Fluminense Evanilson opened the scoring in the 32nd minute of the opening stage. Eustaquio tried to make a cross and the Brazilian forward appeared on the second post to prop up his chest. Two minutes later, Pepe filed Eustaquio, who sent the ball into an empty net.

In the final stage, the Portuguese-Brazilian defender Pepe tried to cut off a low cross, but sent him into his own net. Pepe, the former Gremio who assisted, got it from Taremi after a beautiful move that extended the game in the 18th minute. In addition, the Brazilian Galeno closed the account in the north of Portugal.

– I am very happy to score again and, above all, for this victory. A match we knew would be difficult, against a strong opponent who was in good sequence, but in which we managed to impose our rhythm and win three points in front of our fans. Now it’s time to rest and get back to work, already thinking about the next challenge, which is also very important for us, – said Evanilson after the match.

SPORTING TOO WINS

Another great player to take the field this Friday is Sporting CP. In Lisbon, on José de Alvalade, the Lions beat Gil Vicente 3-1. For Rubén Amorim’s side, Morita, Pote Gonçalves and Rocinha scored. Fran Navarro scored in stoppage time.



Sporting CP are the vice-leaders of Portugal (Photo: PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)

Sporting CP are the vice-leaders of Portugal (Photo: PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)

Photo: Lance!

+The best content in your email for free. Choose your favorite Terra newsletter. Click here!

See also  Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa meets this Wednesday with the President of Bulgaria and attends a plaque honoring Fernando Pesoa - Observer
Continue Reading

Top News

Portuguese tennis player Gonçalo Oliveira in the doubles final of the Lisbon Belém Open

Published

on

Portuguese coach praises the development of women's handball after the Iberian duel

Oliveira and Kolar defeated France’s Manuel Guinard and Venezuela’s Luis David Martínez in the semi-finals for first place in the series, in straight sets with partial scores of 6-1 and 6-2 after 58 minutes of play.

In the title match, they will take on the Ukrainian duo of Vladislav Manafov and Oleg Prikhodko, who eliminated Jivan Nedunchezhyan of India and Christopher Rungkat of Indonesia 6-4 and 6-2 in the semi-finals.

For the 27-year-old Portuguese tennis player, this will be his 31st doubles final at the ATP Challenger Tour and third at the Lisboa Belém Open after reaching the final in 2017 with compatriot Frederico Gil and champion in 2020 with Dominican Roberto Cid Subervi.

In singles, Italian Marco Cecchinato, semi-finalist of Roland Garros in 2018, beat Spaniard Carlos Taberner 7-6 (7-2) and 6-4, scheduling a meeting in the semi-final with the “Reserve” Kazakh Timofey Skatov, responsible for eliminating Frenchman Benoit Pera, in three matches, with a score of 6-4, 2-6 and 7-5.

The other semi-final of the Lisbon tournament will be discussed between Austrian Filip Mizolich, who defeated Giulio Zeppieri 6-4 today, and Frenchman Luca van Assche, the executioner of compatriot Alexander Müller, who finished seventh. parts 6-4 and 7-5.

See also  YouTube star Trevi Moran came out as a transgender woman
Continue Reading

Trending