Connect with us

Top News

Japanese floods killed at least 18 people after record-breaking rainfall

Published

on

Japanese floods killed at least 18 people after record-breaking rainfall

Local authorities confirmed that at least 18 people were killed and 14 were missing in the prefectures of Kumamoto and Kagoshima, with images from the worst affected areas showing houses completely destroyed by the force of flood waters.

The Japan Meteorological Agency issued a warning Saturday for unprecedented rainfall, calling on residents in Kyushu to take “maximum caution.” At least 270,000 people were ordered to evacuate in four prefectures throughout the island.

The village of Kuma in Kumamoto witnessed a record-breaking rainfall of 83.5 millometers in an hour on Saturday morning, according to the meteorological agency, while the city of Kanoya in Kagoshima had 109.5 mm in an hour on Monday, the highest ever.

Heavy rain warning stay in place for most of Kumamoto and Kagoshima on Monday, with greater flooding expected.

Officials in Kumamato prefecture say that 16 other people are currently in cardiopulmonary detention and are feared dead, after a nursing home in Kuma Village was completely flooded when the nearby Kuma River destroyed its banks on Saturday.

Japanese Self Defense Forces and security authorities continue search and rescue operations in Kumamato and Kagoshima prefectures. However, efforts were complicated by conditions on the ground, with floods and landslides severing contact with hundreds of communities in highly mountainous regions.

A car stands in front of it after being overturned by a flood after the nearby Kuma River overflowed, on July 5 in Hitoyoshi, Japan.

Speaking at a press conference on Monday, Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga said that more than 800 people had been saved so far by emergency services.

According to the Japan Fire and Disaster Management Agency, thousands of households have been isolated and 20,000 firefighters are currently trying to reach them. Authorities used 28 helicopters, four planes and two search ships to survey the area on Monday.

See also  Portuguese football | Frederico Varandas pushes opponents and says: "Sporting is the only big player on four fronts."

Officials told CNN that they were still gathering information about the number of deaths and hoped to update their figures in the coming days.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

Portuguese historical films will premiere on 29 December.

Published

on

Portuguese historical films will premiere on 29 December.

Method Media Bermuda will present the documentary FABRIC: Portuguese History in Bermuda on Thursday, December 29 at the Underwater Research Institute of Bermuda.

A spokesperson said: “Method Media is proud to bring Bermuda Fabric: Portugal History to Bermuda for its 5th and 6th showing at the Bermuda Underwater Observatory. In November and December 2019, Cloth: A Portuguese Story in Bermuda had four sold-out screenings. Now that Bermuda has reopened after the pandemic, it’s time to bring the film back for at least two screenings.

“There are tickets Ptix.bm For $ 20 – sessions at 15:30 and 18:00. Both screenings will be followed by a short Q&A session.

Director and producer Milton Raboso says, “FABRIC is a definitive account of the Portuguese community in Bermuda and its 151 years of history, but it also places Bermuda, Acors and Portugal in the world history and the events that have fueled those 151 years.

“It took more than 10 years to implement FABRIC. The film was supported by the Minister of Culture, the Government of the Azores and private donors.

Bermuda Media Method [MMB] Created in 2011 by producer Milton Raposo. MMB has created content for a wide range of clients: Bermuda’s new hospital renovation, reinsurance, travel campaigns, international sports and more. MMB pays special attention to artistic, cultural and historical content.

More about

#History of Bermuda #A photo #Portuguese

Model: Everybody, Entertainment, Movies/Movies, History, News

See also  L.A rents fell 3% in May because coronavirus slowed the economy
Continue Reading

Top News

CRISTANO RONALDO CAN MAKE UP A GIANT IN CARIOCA AND PORTUGUESE TECHNICIAN SAYS ‘There will be room’

Published

on

CRISTANO RONALDO CAN MAKE UP A GIANT IN CARIOCA AND PORTUGUESE TECHNICIAN SAYS 'There will be room'

News

This is a fact or event of journalistic interest. This may be new or recent information. This also applies to the novelty of an already known situation.

Article

Mostly original text. Expresses the opinion of the author, but not necessarily the opinion of the newspaper. It can be written by journalists or specialists from different fields.

Investigative

A report that contains unknown facts or episodes with a pronounced denunciatory content. This requires special methods and resources.

Content commerce

Editorial content that offers the reader conditions for making purchases.

Analysis

This is the interpretation of the news, taking into account information that goes beyond the facts told. It uses data, brings events and scenario forecasts, as well as past contexts.

Editorial

Analytical text translating the official position of the vehicle in relation to the facts covered.

Sponsored

This is an institutional article on a topic of interest to the company sponsoring the report.

fact checking

Content that confirms the accuracy and authenticity of the disclosed information or facts.

Context

This is an article that brings subsidies, historical data and relevant information to help understand a fact or news.

special

An exciting report that details the various aspects and developments of this topic. It brings data, statistics, historical context, as well as stories of characters that are affected by or directly related to the topic in question.

Criticism

A text with detailed analysis and opinions on products, services and works of art in a wide variety of fields such as literature, music, film and visual arts.

Continue Reading

Top News

Maestro de Braga is the first Portuguese in the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba.

Published

on

Maestro de Braga is the first Portuguese in the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba.

Maestro Filipe Cunha, Artistic Director of the Philharmonic Orchestra of Braga, has been invited to conduct the Cuban National Symphony Orchestra, as announced today.

According to a statement sent by O MINHO, “he will be the first Portuguese conductor to conduct this orchestra in its entire history.”

In addition to this orchestra, the maestro will also work with the Lyceo Mozarteum de la Habana Symphony Orchestra.

The concerts will take place on 4 and 12 March 2023 at the National Theater of Cuba in Havana.

In the words of the maestro, quoted in the statement, “these will be very beautiful concerts with difficult but very complex pieces” and therefore he feels “very motivated”.

From the very beginning, Rachmaninoff’s Piano Concerto No. 2 will be performed by an Italian pianist (Luigi Borzillo), whom the maestro wants to bring to Portugal later this year. In the same concert, Mendelshon’s First Symphony will be performed.

Then, at the second concert, in the company of the Mexican clarinetist Angel Zedillo, he will perform the Louis Sfora Concerto No. 2. In this concert, the maestro also conducts Tchaikovsky’s Fifth Symphony.

“This is an international recognition of my work. An invitation that I accept with humility and great responsibility. I was surprised to learn that I would be the first Portuguese member of the Cuban National Symphony Orchestra. This is a very great honor,” the maestro said in a statement.

“I take with me the name of the city of Braga and Portugal with all the responsibility that goes with it, and I hope to do a good job there, leaving a good image and putting on great concerts. These will be very special concerts because, in addition to performing pieces that I love, especially Rachmaninov and Tchaikovsky, I will be directing two wonderful soloists who are also my friends. It will be very beautiful,” concludes Filipe Cunha.

See also  L.A rents fell 3% in May because coronavirus slowed the economy

Continue Reading

Trending