Connect with us

Top News

International students may need to leave the US if their university transitions into online learning only

Published

on

International students may need to leave the US if their university transitions into online learning only

This step can affect thousands of foreign students who come to the United States to attend university or participate in training programs, as well as non-academic or vocational studies.

National universities began to make the decision to switch to online courses as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. At Harvard, for example, all course instructions will be sent online, including for students who live on campus. For international students, it opens the door for them to have to leave the US.

“There is so much uncertainty. This is very frustrating,” said Valeria Mendiola, 26, a graduate student at Kennedy Government School at Harvard. “If I have to go back to Mexico, I can go back, but many international students can’t.”

In the Monday news release, ICE said that students who are under certain visas “may not take the full online course load and remain in the United States,” added, “the US State Department will not issue visas for students enrolled in schools and / or programs that are fully online for the fall semester and US Customs and Border Protection will not allow this student to enter the United States. “

The agency recommends that students currently registered in the US consider other steps, such as transferring to school with direct instruction. There are exceptions for universities that use hybrid models, such as a mixture of online classes and classes.

Brad Farnsworth, vice president of the American Council on Education, said the announcement surprised him and many others.

“We think this will create more confusion and uncertainty,” said Farnsworth, whose organization represents around 1,800 colleges and universities. “What we expect is more appreciation for all the different nuances that the campus might explore.”

See also  Jets fans were surprised Instagram comments attracted the anger of Jamal Adams

One concern with this new guideline, said Farnsworth, is what will happen if the public health situation deteriorates in the fall and universities that have offered classes directly feel that they have to change all programs online to stay safe.

Visa requirements for students are always strict and coming to the US to take online courses is prohibited.

“These are not some fly-by-night universities, this is not fraud, this is a legitimate university that usually has a personal curriculum but for coronaviruses,” said Theresa Cardinal Brown, director of immigration and cross-border policy at the Bipartisan Policy Center.

“The bigger problem is that some of these countries have travel restrictions and they can’t go home, so what do they do?” he added. “It’s a puzzle for many students.”

Harvard University President Larry Bacow said in a statement late Monday that “we are very concerned that the guidelines issued today by US Immigration and Customs Enforcement apply a blunt approach, a measure for all complex problems in delivering international students, especially those in online programs. , some options outside leaving the country or transferring schools. “

Guidance, continued Bacow, “undermines the thoughtful approach taken on behalf of students by so many institutions, including Harvard, to plan for continuing academic programs while balancing the health and safety challenges of a global pandemic.”

“We will work closely with other colleges and universities across the country to map the path forward,” he said.

The Trump administration has made a series of changes to the US immigration system, citing the coronavirus pandemic, which has resulted in restrictions on immigrant plots to come to the country.

Last month, the White House issued an immigration proclamation that dramatically restricted legal immigration to the US that sent hundreds of people and businesses into disputes to understand whether their future plans were foiled.

In the proclamation, the government argued that the “extraordinary circumstances” caused by coronavirus called for the suspension of work-based visas. But immigrant advocates, industry and experts say the government is taking advantage of a pandemic to make immigration changes and advance its agenda to cut legal immigration.

See also  Woman jailed for assaulting police with toilet roll holders

Monday’s announcement, like the changes that preceded it, could also result in many foreign students often paying high school fees to return to their home countries.

According to the Migration Policy Institute, a think tank based in Washington, DC, about 1.2 million students included in the affected visa are registered and registered at more than 8,700 schools throughout the country by March 2018.

Farnsworth said he saw the announcement as part of a larger pattern of movement by the government that “has not yet set the right tone.”

“This will make me think more of the anxiety of international students, and for those who are still thinking about where they are going in the fall, I think this can encourage them towards attending a university in another country,” he said.

While students may have the choice of moving to a college or university that offers courses directly, it may be difficult to obtain amid ongoing concerns about coronavirus. Some schools have announced plans to bring students back but shorten the semester, and cancel almost all classes directly through the semester.

This story has been updated with quotes and additional information.

CNN’s Catherine Shoichet contributed to this report.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

September, Holiday Month for the Deaf – Portuguese (Brazil)

Published

on

Mutirão Opens To Negotiation Of Individuals' Overdue Debts - Português (Brazil)

September is a very important and visible month for deaf people, with three dates that raise awareness and celebrate achievements that are part of the entire community’s trajectory and struggle. These are: – International Sign Language Day, September 23; – Day of the Deaf, 26 September; and Libra National Interpreter and Translator Day on September 30th. With a focus on the deaf community, the Department of Education is promoting several initiatives in this area.

The first is aimed at changing the scenario of educational and language policy based only on the inclusive perspective of including a deaf student in the school environment without guaranteeing procedures that enhance accessibility in his education. The National Guidelines for Bilingual Education for the Deaf integrate all stages of basic education and are based on the promotion of bilingual curricula and pedagogical practices for the deaf: Brazilian Sign Language (Libras) and written Portuguese.

Through the Department of Special Education, the MEC coordinates with interested municipalities the construction, renovation or expansion of bilingual schools for the deaf. To date, 11 locations in Brazil have shown interest in the project. To complement this phase, the Libras National Textbook Program (PNLD) provides accessible formats to deaf students and public school teachers of basic education in the country.

In the academic world, in partnership with universities, advanced training courses are offered for teachers, managers and professionals who want to work with bilingual education for the deaf. Thanks to the projects of various institutions, there are currently 3,520 vacancies for teaching the deaf.

See also  Jets fans were surprised Instagram comments attracted the anger of Jamal Adams

On the Internet, Canal Libras is a space for communication and content distribution with a focus on the national educational network, from early childhood education to higher education.

INES

Another important date: The National Institute for Education for the Deaf (Ines) turns 165 on the same Libra and the Deaf Day, September 26th. Within the structure of the Ministry of Education, the Institute stands out as a national reference in the field of deafness, necessary to support the formulation of public policies, and then for their implementation in the field. The Institute works to promote education for deaf children, youth and adults.

With information from Ministry of Education.

Continue Reading

Top News

Mother of autistic boy attacked by CR7 criticizes Portuguese again

Published

on

Mother of autistic boy attacked by CR7 criticizes Portuguese again

The case of Cristiano Ronaldo’s aggression against an autistic fan continues to be heard in England. Sarah Kelly, mother of Jake Harding, has asked the English Football Federation to punish the Portuguese star.

Advertising from partner Metropoles 1
Metropoles 2 affiliate advertising
Metropoles 3 affiliate advertising

Sarah’s complaint comes after the league filed a complaint against a Manchester United player for aggression against Jake in the Manchester team’s match against Everton on April 9 last season in the Premier League. After an unsuccessful result, the Portuguese dropped a fan’s mobile phone on the way to the locker room.

According to Sarah, she and her son once again became victims of offenses in social networks after the announcement of the complaint against the attacker.

“People are following me, saying that I am rebelling again, but I didn’t know anything about it. The case should have been heard six months ago. My son talks every day about what happened to him. He still hasn’t returned his phone,” he said.

See also  Hot Property: The surface of Robert Conrad's house in Malibu is for sale

Jake’s mother still asks how the player manages to sleep at night after what happened. “Let’s hope he finally gets the right punishment. He can’t keep getting away with it. Your behavior is unacceptable…” Sarah concluded.

Continue Reading

Top News

Marseille in California. ″Where the Portuguese is, there is Portugal″

Published

on

Marseille in California.  ″Where the Portuguese is, there is Portugal″

“You are the future,” President Marcelo Rebelo de Souza told a three-year-old girl dressed in traditional Portuguese clothing who came out to greet him on the podium where he spoke at Artesia Portuguese Salon. The city, located on the outskirts of Los Angeles, has not hosted the President of the Portuguese Republic since 1989. This weekend, he did it with pomp and the setting of an ornate Portuguese-American community bursting with pride.

“We have never lost the honor and responsibility of being representatives of this beautiful flag,” said Jimmy Enes, a member of Artesia DES, a Portuguese descendant, in a welcoming speech delivered in perfect Portuguese. “When we are asked who we are, we always answer”i am portuguese“and not”Portuguese-American“or ‘Portuguese American’,” he said. “That’s why we’re trying step by step to protect our heritage on the outskirts of Los Angeles, one of the greatest cities in the world.”

Continue Reading

Trending