Connect with us

Top News

Governor Gavin Newsom Orders Most CA Schools Closed Due to Coronavirus – Deadline

Published

on

Governor Gavin Newsom Orders Most CA Schools Closed Due to Coronavirus – Deadline

At his Friday news conference, California Governor Gavin Newsom ordered counties on the state’s coronavirus watch list to shut down school campuses this fall, at least to begin the school year. The 32 counties on the list — which include Los Angeles and most of Southern California — must switch to virtual instruction only. The state’s two largest districts, Los Angeles Unified and San Diego Unified, had already announced plans to begin the new academic year with online-only courses.

The mandate applies to private as well as public schools, according to Newsom.

In order to physically reopen schools, counties will have to meet the state’s attestation requirements. Los Angeles, Orange, Ventura, San Diego and Riverside counties are on the watch list.

Counties can reopen schools if the region has been off the state monitoring list for 14 days.

The announcement comes as the state saw another sky-high number of new coronavirus cases over the past 24 hours, at 9,986. That’s up from 8,241 the day before and represents the third-highest one-day total since the pandemic began. Likewise the new count of 130 deaths. That is also the third-highest one-day total in that category since the pandemic began.

For the 26 counties not on the state watchlist, students in grades 3 to 12, along with staff, would be required to wear them. Those who refuse could be sent home for distance-only learning. Kids in grades 2 and under will be encouraged to wear masks.

Staff at those schools must keep 6 feet between themselves and others. Students are encouraged to do the same.

The school day for those campuses that stay open will start with “symptom checks,” including temperature checks. Staff will be tested monthly for coronavirus.

See also  This is how loved ones want us to remember George Floyd

“We all prefer in-class instruction,” said Newsom, “but only if it can be done safely. Safety is foundational.”

Any class that sees one case of COVID-19 will be sent home. An entire school will be sent home if “multiple cohorts” or more than 5 percent of the students test positive. An entire district will be sent home if 25 percent of their campuses are closed within a 14 day period.

He said distance-learning must be “rigorous.”

“We want daily, live interaction with teachers and other students,” said the governor. “Clearly, we have work to do to make sure that we are doing rigorous distance learning.” Newsom said all students must have access to the technology to engage effectively in distance learning. The state allocated $5.3 billion last year to address the issue of “equity in learning,” said Newsom, and those funds will help distance learning.

An L.A. Unified School District report detailed on Thursday revealed that nearly every category of students — sorted by race, income and learning needs — included large numbers who did not regularly participate in distance learning after schools closed physically in March. Low-income students and Black and Latino students showed participation rates between 10 and 20 percentage points lower than white and Asian peers, according to the study as cited by The L.A. Times.

More than 50,000 Black and Latino middle and high school students in Los Angeles did not regularly participate in the school system’s main platform for virtual classrooms after campuses closed in March, reflecting the disparities faced by students of color amid the COVID-19 pandemic and the difficulties ahead as the LAUSD prepares for continued online learning, it was reported Thursday.

See also  Attempts to reach out to homeless MTA failed, the inspector general found

The LAUSD study examined the period between March 16, the Monday after schools closed, and May 22. It described how students engaged at various levels online. For example, some students simply logged in and did little else. Others only viewed their work. Those whom the report described as “participating” were students who submitted work, took tests, posted on a discussion board or created a message.

Using that measure, the report found that on an average day only about 36 percent of middle and high school students participated online. About 25 percent logged on or viewed work only. And about 40 percent were absent, The Times reported.

“None of us want to see virtual education,” said Newsom. “The more we do [in terms of social distancing, wearing masks, staying home] the quicker these counties come off this list and kids are back in school.”

California now has 366,164 confirmed cases of COVID-19, resulting in 7,475 deaths. The number of COVID-related deaths increased by 1.8 percent from the previous total of 7,345. The number of COVID-19 diagnostic test results in California reached a total of 6,044,099, an increase of 128,591 tests day-over-day. The rate of positive tests over the last 14 days is 7.4 percent, which is slightly down. California’s hospitalizations due to COVID-19 increased by 31.

The positivity rate of tests averaged over the past 7 days was 7.1 percent. That’s down from 7.4 percent on Monday but, cautioned the governor, “I’ve gotta just say as a point of caution that those 7-day positivity rates can fluctuate largely.”

Hospitalizations have seen “a 22 increase over the 14-day period,” said Newsom. ICUs are “up about 15 percent” over the past 14 days.

See also  Rui Costa will go down in the history of Portuguese cycling with new equipment

Earlier this week, Newsom ordered all counties to close their restaurants, movie theaters, family entertainment centers, wineries and zoos for indoor service. Bars were to close totally.

“We are moving back into a ‘modification mode’ of our original stay-at-home order,” said Newsom on Monday. “This is a new statewide action, effective today.”

Additionally, L.A. and 31 other counties on the state’s monitoring list must close fitness centers, places of worship, nail and hair salons and indoor malls.

On Thursday, the 14-day average of daily new coronavirus cases in California has broken 8,000 for the first time since the pandemic began. By comparison, one month ago that average was 2,704. That’s a 295 percent increase in 30 days.

The rise is a result of both a steep increase in cases and what have now become regular, near-record spikes in the past 10 days. On July 7, the state saw an all-time high of 11,694 new cases. That was followed by spikes of 11,126 on 7/14 and 8,544 today.

COVID-related deaths in California are also spiking. Thursday’s number of new deaths, 118, is the third-highest total California has seen since the virus hit the state. The two higher results have come in the past week, with 140 yesterday and the all-time high reported last Thursday with 149 lives lost. The previous peak had been 115 deaths.

The school closings place another burden on parents, who must now stay home or hire someone to care for their children, as the state’s unemployment rate sits at 19.4 percent. The 19.4 percent rate is well above the 4.4 percent rate from the pre-coronavirus
era of June 2019.

City News Service contributed to this report.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

The abolition of fees for teaching Portuguese abroad will not be accepted by parliament, MP says – Observer

Published

on

The abolition of fees for teaching Portuguese abroad will not be accepted by parliament, MP says - Observer

According to Socialist MP Paulo Pisco, the views of the BE, PCP and PAN on the abolition of fees for teaching Portuguese abroad were voted on Tuesday in a parliamentary committee.

The Committee on Foreign Affairs and Portuguese Communities voted on Tuesday in favor of four projects – from the Left Bloc, the Communist Party of Portugal, “People-Animal-Nature” and “Enough”, which mainly advocate the abolition of fees for teaching Portuguese abroad and free school textbooks.

According to Paulo Pisco, a socialist member of the commission, the opinions of the BE, PKP and PAN were approved, but Chega’s opinion deserved to be abstained from the PS because it contained “xenophobic elements” in its purpose.

The MP had in mind, in particular, the recipients of this teaching, which is currently intended not only for the Portuguese or the descendants of the Portuguese, but also for those who want to learn the Portuguese language, with which Chega allegedly disagrees, according to Paulo Pisco. .

THE PUB • CONTINUE TO READ BELOW

After the approval of these opinions, the abolition of the bribe would be discussed and voted on in the plenary session of the Assembly of the Republic, but Paulo Pisco said that they should not be approved, since the “commitment” of the government is different.

“The government’s obligation is to reduce the burden of the Portuguese” and this will always be determined “in every approved state budget”.

Continue Reading

Top News

Portuguese health minister rejects conflict of interest over marriage to president

Published

on

The health minister said there was no conflict of interest in her marriage to the current chairman of the Order of Dietitians, saying that the trusteeship of that body had been delegated to the Secretary of State for Health Promotion.


Portugal Digital with Lusa



“Honestly, I don’t think it exists. I have no doubt that this Lady Secretary of State will fill this leadership role,” Manuel Pizarro said on Monday (age 26) on the sidelines of the Pharmacist’s Day celebrations in Sintra, in the Lisbon area.

Aware of the possible conflict of interest, Manuel Pizarro explained that he took “the most appropriate measure (…)”, which was to entrust the functions of guardianship of the Order of Nutritionists to Margarida Tavares.”

“(…) Since I took office as a minister, I have been aware that, since professional organizations have an administrative oversight role, (…) there is a risk of conflict of interest, and I have taken the measures that seem to me the most appropriate, which from the very decided at the outset that he would delegate this oversight function over the Order of Nutritionists to the Secretary of State for Health Promotion,” he stressed.

When asked about the reasons why Margarida Tavares’ name still does not appear in the Diário da República, the official said that “it was necessary to wait for the inauguration of the secretaries of state” and then “to organize the whole process of delegation of authority.” .

“It’s even a good chance that there is a Secretary of State for Health Promotion. I think custody of the Order of Dietitians has been well handed over to the Secretary of State for Health Promotion,” he repeated, noting that “he definitely won’t go through the Minister’s order.” [da Saúde]”.

See also  AOC supports challenger Eliot Engel in the Bronx congress competition

“If the secretary of state is responsible for this, it should not go through the minister,” he stressed.

Manuel Pizarro’s statements came after news that the government official may have a conflict of interest because he is married to the chairman of the Order of Dietitians, Alexandra Bento.

The Order of Dietitians was created in 2011 with the approval of the current Minister of Health, who at the time served as Secretary of State for Health.

In addition, Alexandra Bento was the only President of the Order of Occupational Health to attend the inauguration of Manuel Pizarro on 10 September.

Continue Reading

Top News

Portuguese newspaper criticizes CR7: “Less Ronaldo, more Portugal” | international football

Published

on

Portuguese newspaper criticizes CR7: "Less Ronaldo, more Portugal" |  international football

The cover of one of the most important sports newspapers in Portugal this Monday drew a critical tone against the greatest player in the history of the country.

+ See League of Nations table

On the eve of the day when the Portuguese national team will play with Spain and draw for reaching the semi-finals of the League of Nations, the daily newspaper “A Bola” printed a photo Cristiano Ronaldo stating that the player had lost influence in the team commanded by Fernando Santos.

“Less Ronaldo, more Portugal,” reads the headline.

The publication reports that the 37-year-old striker could start on the bench and lists some of the positives of his possible absence, such as the buffing of protagonist Bruno Fernandes. See below:

This Tuesday’s cover of A Bola is being printed by Cristiano Ronaldo – Photo: Reproduction

+ After shock and bleeding, Cristiano Ronaldo trains with a black eye in Portugal

Cristiano Ronaldo started and assisted in a 4–0 thrashing of the Czech Republic on the last round. He has only scored twice in his last eight caps, both against Switzerland.

Czech Republic 0 x 4 Portugal highlights in UEFA Nations League 2022

For Manchester United in the 2022/23 season, he started in three of the eight games played. In the last of them, against Sheriff from Moldova, in the Europa League, he scored for the first time.

Continue Reading

Trending