Connect with us

Top News

Foreign students must leave the US if the class is online

Published

on

Foreign students must leave the US if the class is online

International students will be forced to leave the US or move to other colleges if their school offers classes entirely online this fall, under new guidelines issued Monday by federal immigration authorities.

The guidelines, issued by US Customs Immigration and Enforcement, provide additional pressure for universities to reopen even amid growing concerns about the recent spread of COVID-19 among young adults. The college received guidance on the same day that several institutions, including Harvard University, announced that all instructions would be offered remotely.

President Donald Trump urged schools and colleges to return to direct teaching as soon as possible. Shortly after the guide was released, Trump repeated on Twitter that schools had to reopen this fall, adding that Democrats wanted to make schools closed “for political reasons, not for health reasons.”

“They think it will help them in November. Wrong, people understand! “Trump writes.

Under the updated rules, international students must take at least some of their classes directly. New visas will not be given to students in schools or programs that are fully online. And even in colleges that offer a mix of private and online courses this fall, international students will be barred from taking all their classes online.

This created an urgent dilemma for thousands of international students who were stranded in the US last spring after coronavirus forced their schools to move online. Those who attend schools that remain online must “leave the country or take other actions, such as transferring to schools with direct instruction,” according to the guidelines.

See also  Marriage companies deny a refund after a man's fiance dies

The American Council on Education, which represents the university president, said the guidelines were “terrible” and would cause confusion when schools looked for ways to reopen safely.

Of particular concern are provisions which say that students will not be exempt from regulations even if an outbreak forces their schools online during the fall. It is not clear what will happen if a student ends up in that scenario but faces travel restrictions from their home country, said Terry Hartle, senior council vice president.

“That will cause tremendous confusion and uncertainty,” Hartle said. “ICE clearly creates incentives for institutions to reopen, regardless of whether a pandemic is needed or not.”

The NAFSA international education group condemned the regulations and said schools must be given the authority to make the right decisions for their own campus. The guidelines said it was “dangerous for international students and endangering the health and well-being of them and the entire tertiary education community.”

Nearly 400,000 foreigners received student visas in the 12-month period ending September 30, down more than 40% from the previous four years. The school administration partly blames the visa processing delay.

Colleges across the US are already expecting a sharp drop in international registration this fall, but losing all international students can be a disaster for some. Many depend on income from tuition fees from international students, who usually pay a higher level of tuition. Last year, US universities attracted nearly 1.1 million students from abroad.

Trump’s critics quickly attacked the new guidelines. Senator Bernie Sanders, an independent Vermont, said “this White House cruelty knows no bounds.”

See also  Tesla inventory surges just after Piper Sandler boosts cost concentrate on earlier mentioned $2300

“Foreign students are threatened with choices: the risk of your life going to class directly or being deported,” Sanders said in a tweet. “We must support Trump fanaticism. We must keep all our students safe. “

Dozens of colleges say they plan to offer at least a few classes directly this fall, but some say it’s too risky. The University of Southern California last week turned its back on plans to bring students to campus, saying classes will be held primarily or online. Harvard on Monday said it would invite first-year students to live on campus, but the class would remain online.

Immigration authorities deferred certain requirements for international students at the start of the pandemic, but colleges are waiting for guidance on what will happen this fall. ICE notified schools about the change on Monday and said there would be formal rules.

The announcement was a strike related to Trump’s latest pandemic administration to legal immigration. Last month, authorities extended a new green card ban for many people outside the United States and expanded the freeze to include many temporary work permits, including in high-tech companies, multinational companies and seasonal employers.

Administrations have long sought deep cuts for legal immigration, but their goals are difficult to understand before the corona virus.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

Every Portuguese wastes 183 kg of food a year, and this is “inconceivable”.

Published

on

Every Portuguese wastes 183 kg of food a year, and this is "inconceivable".

President of the Portuguese Federation of Food Banks Against Hunger Isabelle Jonet considers food waste unacceptable and absurd, as every Portuguese wastes 183 kg of food a year.

As World Food Loss and Waste Awareness Day is celebrated, speaking at a conference on the subject in Lisbon, the official recalled statistics released by the National Statistical Institute and said the situation was “worse than expected.”

The data, official and published for the first time, refers to 2020 and shows that 1.89 million tons of food was wasted in Portugal this year, so each Portuguese wasted an average of 183.6 kilograms of food.

INE statistics show that families spend the most. The figures show that over 1.2 million tons of food was wasted by families this year, followed by catering with over 237 thousand tons, trade and distribution with 214 thousand tons, primary production with over 101 thousand tons and food . industry, about 61 thousand tons.

“We buy too much, we buy bad, we let it go bad. It is unacceptable that a third of what is produced ends up in the trash,” the official said, speaking at a debate organized by the United Movement Against Waste.

Ana Cristina Carrola of the Portuguese Environmental Protection Agency (APA), who also took part in the debate, stressed that the average amount of waste per year per inhabitant in the European Union is 173 kg, less than the 183 kg that is thrown away by the Portuguese.

“This is unthinkable in our day,” he lamented.

See also  US military planes intercepted two Russian bombers and jets off the coast of Alaska for the second time in a week

Continue Reading

Top News

Thanks to goals from Evanilson and Pepe, Porto beat Braga in Portuguese; Sporting wins too

Published

on

Thanks to goals from Evanilson and Pepe, Porto beat Braga in Portuguese;  Sporting wins too



Evanilson scored four goals in eight matches in the 2022/23 Portuguese Liga (Photo: MIGUEL RIOPA/AFP)

Photo: Lance!

After the draw in the last round Portuguese Championship, Porto won again. This Friday, the defending champions thrashed Braga 4-1 at the Dragau Stadium. Goals came from Evanilson, Eustaquio, Pepe and Galeno. Defender Pepe, against, got to the opponent.

Ex-Fluminense Evanilson opened the scoring in the 32nd minute of the opening stage. Eustaquio tried to make a cross and the Brazilian forward appeared on the second post to prop up his chest. Two minutes later, Pepe filed Eustaquio, who sent the ball into an empty net.

In the final stage, the Portuguese-Brazilian defender Pepe tried to cut off a low cross, but sent him into his own net. Pepe, the former Gremio who assisted, got it from Taremi after a beautiful move that extended the game in the 18th minute. In addition, the Brazilian Galeno closed the account in the north of Portugal.

– I am very happy to score again and, above all, for this victory. A match we knew would be difficult, against a strong opponent who was in good sequence, but in which we managed to impose our rhythm and win three points in front of our fans. Now it’s time to rest and get back to work, already thinking about the next challenge, which is also very important for us, – said Evanilson after the match.

SPORTING TOO WINS

Another great player to take the field this Friday is Sporting CP. In Lisbon, on José de Alvalade, the Lions beat Gil Vicente 3-1. For Rubén Amorim’s side, Morita, Pote Gonçalves and Rocinha scored. Fran Navarro scored in stoppage time.



Sporting CP are the vice-leaders of Portugal (Photo: PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)

Sporting CP are the vice-leaders of Portugal (Photo: PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)

Photo: Lance!

+The best content in your email for free. Choose your favorite Terra newsletter. Click here!

See also  Marriage companies deny a refund after a man's fiance dies
Continue Reading

Top News

Portuguese tennis player Gonçalo Oliveira in the doubles final of the Lisbon Belém Open

Published

on

Portuguese coach praises the development of women's handball after the Iberian duel

Oliveira and Kolar defeated France’s Manuel Guinard and Venezuela’s Luis David Martínez in the semi-finals for first place in the series, in straight sets with partial scores of 6-1 and 6-2 after 58 minutes of play.

In the title match, they will take on the Ukrainian duo of Vladislav Manafov and Oleg Prikhodko, who eliminated Jivan Nedunchezhyan of India and Christopher Rungkat of Indonesia 6-4 and 6-2 in the semi-finals.

For the 27-year-old Portuguese tennis player, this will be his 31st doubles final at the ATP Challenger Tour and third at the Lisboa Belém Open after reaching the final in 2017 with compatriot Frederico Gil and champion in 2020 with Dominican Roberto Cid Subervi.

In singles, Italian Marco Cecchinato, semi-finalist of Roland Garros in 2018, beat Spaniard Carlos Taberner 7-6 (7-2) and 6-4, scheduling a meeting in the semi-final with the “Reserve” Kazakh Timofey Skatov, responsible for eliminating Frenchman Benoit Pera, in three matches, with a score of 6-4, 2-6 and 7-5.

The other semi-final of the Lisbon tournament will be discussed between Austrian Filip Mizolich, who defeated Giulio Zeppieri 6-4 today, and Frenchman Luca van Assche, the executioner of compatriot Alexander Müller, who finished seventh. parts 6-4 and 7-5.

See also  Hot Property: List of Van Felith's heritage in Los Feliz worth $ 8.3 million
Continue Reading

Trending