Connect with us

Top News

Florida, Texas and California account for about one-fifth of the world’s new coronavirus cases

Published

on

Florida, Texas and California account for about one-fifth of the world's new coronavirus cases

Some one in five new cases of coronavirus reported around the world came from just three U.S. states — Florida, Texas and California, a new NBC News tally revealed Tuesday.

The 27,574 cases recorded in those states Monday accounted for 18.9 percent of the global total and represented more than a third of the 61,751 new cases reported in the U.S.

Meanwhile, the two-week death total in Texas was up 99 percent over the previous two weeks.

In Florida, the two-week death total rose by nearly 84 percent and in California it jumped by nearly 27 percent.

As of Tuesday afternoon, there were 3,407,556 confirmed coronavirus cases in the U.S. and the death toll was 136,832, NBC News figures showed.

Florida reported 9,194 more cases and 133 deaths from Monday. Texas added 7,489 more cases and 59 deaths. California recorded 5,063 more cases and 40 deaths.

Arizona, another state that has seen a big increase in new cases in recent weeks, reported 4,273 more infections and 92 more deaths.

Texas’ Hispanic community has been especially hard hit of late and Rep. Joaquin Castro, a Democrat whose district includes the city of San Antonio, blamed President Donald Trump and Texas Gov. Greg Abbott for being “slow to test people, slow to trace the infection and slow to treat people.”

They “tried to pretend like it wasn’t a big problem because they didn’t want to end up on the news every day the way New York did, and that’s had an incredible effect on this community, and in the last three weeks, it’s really exploded,” Castro told MSBNC’s Garrett Haake.

See also  Hot Property: Carson Palmer sells a special Del Mar house for $ 18 million

Trump and Abbott have both been accused to not moving fast enough to combat the coronavirus and it wasn’t until this month that the Texas governor mandated wear a mask in public. Trump wore a mask for the first time in public just two days ago and earlier this month he predicted the pandemic would “just disappear.”

The staggering new sums emerged on the same day that Admiral Brett Giroir, the Assistant Secretary of Health, insisted on “Today” that “we’re turning the corner on the current outbreak.”

“We are all very concerned about the outbreak,” Giroir said. “About half the cases are in four states, Texas, California, Florida, and Arizona. But we are in a much different place now than we were several months ago, a much better place.”

Maybe. But 41 states have seen an increase in cases over the last two weeks and eight states have seen a spike of more than 100 percent over the last 14 days, according to NBC News’ Medical Unit.

And when Vice President Mike Pence arrived Tuesday in Louisiana to meet with local officials about the pandemic, Attorney General Mike Landry was not there to greet him on the tarmac because he has tested positive, local media reported.

“Out of an overabundance of caution with the Vice President coming to our state, I was tested for Cornavirus,” Landry wrote in an email to staffers. “Though experiencing no symptoms, I tested positive for COVID-19.”

See also  Summer will not be fun for kids in NYC who are strapped for money amid coronavirus

In other developments:

  • U.S. Rep. Morgan Griffith, a Virginia Republican and member of the arch-conservative Freedom Caucus, announced he tested positive for the coronavirus. His diagnosis came five days after he and other members of the caucus appeared at a press conference where they stressed the need to reopen schools in the fall despite the pandemic. While Griffith brought a mask along, an NBC News producer who was there noted that Griffith didn’t wear it much.
  • Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan warned that he would shut down bars and eateries that fail to adhere to social distancing requirements or insist that patrons wear face mask while inside. “The vast majority of bars and restaurants in our state and in compliance, but some are flagrantly violating the law and endangering public health,” Hogan wrote. A Republican, Hogan has drawn widespread praise for taking decisive steps — well before the White House acted — to stop the spread of the coronavirus in his state.
  • The National Center for Assisted Living, which represents the nursing home industry, warned that the spike in new COVID-19 cases could “lead to a dramatic increase in cases in long term facilities.” In a letter to the National Governors Association, the group said speeding up testing is key to preventing another calamity.
  • Sen. Lindsay Graham, a South Carolina Republican and Trump ally, warned against any attempt to “undermine” Dr. Anthony Fauci, the the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. NBC News has reported that the White House was seeking to discredit Fauci, whose more sober assessments of the pandemic have been colliding with the rosier outlook that Trump has been pushing.

    “We don’t have a Dr. Fauci problem,” Graham said. “I have all the respect in the world for Doctor Fauci, I think any effort to undermine him is not going to be productive, quite frankly.” Trump has also denied trying to torpedo Fauci.

See also  Magic Johnson's $ 100 million coronavirus stimulus helps

“The amount of time it is taking to receive testing results is hurting the ability of long term facilities to fight the virus,” the letter states. “For nursing homes and assisted living communities to protect residents and staff, we need on-site testing with reliable and rapid results.

There was also a smidgen of troubling news out of New York, a state that back in April was posting Texas-sized case numbers and since then has succeeded in flattening the coronavirus curve.

Gov. Andrew Cuomo reported that 1.5 percent of the 60,045 COVID-19 tests performed on Monday came back positive.That is the highest positive rate in the state since June 5.

Cuomo also reported five more coronavirus deaths on Monday.

Two days earlier, the New York State Department of Health reporting there were zero COVID-19 deaths on Saturday the first time that has happened since March 13.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

Frankie Chavez releases single Cheguei Bem in Portuguese

Published

on

Frankie Chavez releases single Cheguei Bem in Portuguese


Franky Chavez, singer-songwriter and multi-instrumentalist, announces a new album and the first song in Portuguese. “Cheguei Bem” is the debut single, heralding the return to studio albums of one of the great names of Portuguese blues/folk.

The new single is now available on all digital platforms and is accompanied by a music video that can be viewed on the artist’s official YouTube channel.

“This topic appeared in December 2020. On a sunny and cold day in the heart of the Alentejo, music appeared in succession. I don’t know why, but I immediately remembered that I needed to send the recording that I made on my mobile phone to Pedro Puppe. Maybe because I was already thinking about starting to write lyrics in Portuguese and Pedro was one of my favorite lyricists. Two days later he sent me a text and a recording of his voice in addition to what he had done. I realized that the lyrics were talking about me, and by changing one here and the other there, I interpreted it as my own. Thus, Cheguey Bem was born. Chavez explains.

This is Frankie Chavez’s first adventure in which he explores the Portuguese language in writing his original songs, another new milestone in his career that has traveled all over the world. His repertoire is on a new path, which he adds to three studio albums and an EP.

Despite all these innovations, the unique characteristics of Chavez, the influence of blues, folk, tradition and electricity, past and present, as well as the future in his sound remain unchanged. It was his unmistakable music that allowed him to conquer the world, with numerous national and international tours that earned him critical acclaim and distinction.

See also  Magic Johnson's $ 100 million coronavirus stimulus helps

RR

Continue Reading

Top News

Former Portuguese minister criticizes the power of digital supercompanies

Published

on

Consolidation of the power of large digital conglomerates with a global reach is negatively affecting the global economy, as the power is concentrated in the hands of a few, and this situation requires a tough response from governments.

ConjurAccording to the former Minister of Economy of Portugal, the world has not adapted to the “new economy”.

This is the estimate of the former Minister of Economy of Portugal. Pedro Siza Vieira, who left his post in March this year after five years in the ministry. Participated in the X Lisbon Legal Forum organized by the Brazilian Institute of Education, Development and Research (IDP).

According to Vieira, the world has not yet adapted well to the “new economy”, and this must happen without delay.

“There are several phenomena that explain why the world is redefining the basic principles of the functioning of the global economy, and the most obvious is the emergence of new technologies. The emergence at the global level of companies that control the digital economy causes very big problems for companies that need to contact suppliers and customers through these platforms, which determines the functioning of the market, ”explained the former minister. “It requires legislative intervention to regulate this issue.”

In an interview with TV ConYur, the former Minister of Economy of Portugal also commented on the impact of Covid-19 and the war in Ukraine on the global economy. There is no small risk that the planet is going through a great recession, which could trigger a wave of company shutdowns in all countries, he said.

The 10th Lisbon Legal Forum was supported by FGV Knowledge, the Brazilian Institute of Insolvency (Ibajud), the Institute for the Reform of State-Company Relations (IREE) and Décio Freire Advogados.

See also  Hot Property: Carson Palmer sells a special Del Mar house for $ 18 million

Clique here watch the interview or watch below:

Continue Reading

Top News

Niteroi signs a cooperation agreement with the Portuguese village of Forgins – Niteroi City Hall

Published

on

Niteroi signs a cooperation agreement with the Portuguese village of Forgins – Niteroi City Hall

The city of Niteroi signed this Thursday (30th) the terms of cooperation with Vila de Forjães, located in the city of Esposende, in the district of Braga, in Portugal. The Portuguese village mapped a significant number of foreigners who had emigrated to Niteroi and turned to the municipality to strengthen relations between the localities. The signing, held at a virtual meeting, is part of the program dedicated to the 33rd anniversary of the erection in the village of Forhains.

According to the cooperation agreement, Niteroi and Forjães will carry out exchanges and cooperation in various ways in the fields of science and technology, economics and trade, sports, agriculture, health, education, culture and tourism, thus promoting prosperity and development. .

Niteroi Mayor Axel Grael recalled that last month, Niteroi and Braga ratified a sister city agreement, signed in fact in February this year, to create commercial partnerships and exchange information to stimulate and develop new business. The partnership also prompted Foryaes to approach the city of Niteroi with an offer to sign.

“We have taken this initiative very positively, and we will cooperate, no matter what the cost. In Niteroi we have one of the largest communities of foreigners and a very active and representative Portuguese club. I believe that Brazil and Portugal need to cooperate more and more to share experiences. This approach has a great synergistic effect and will certainly bring positive results,” he stressed.

The project management office of the Niteroi City Hall (EGP), together with the chairman of the parish meeting, will be responsible for coordinating the cooperation. Project Management Office Secretary Katherine Azevedo stressed that the activities will be developed between the municipality and the village.

See also  Sandra Bastos made history in Portuguese football - Arbitration

“We are promoting Niteroi’s internationalization strategy to stimulate development in various areas of the city through activities that benefit both parties and bring people together. There is a natural synergy between peoples, mainly due to the language that facilitates this exchange. During the conversations with the Forjães team, several activities were conceived, which will be detailed in the work plan,” he said.

Forhaes Parish Assembly President Carlos Manuel Gómez de Sa said that the Forhaes Parish Council is partnering with communities where people from Forhaes live. More than 10,000 Brazilians currently live in Braga, he said, and it is one of the fastest growing cities in recent years.

“Right now we are developing the Forjanenses around the World project which, of their own accord, aims to track Forjanenses expats, the community that we have in Niteroi is very important. We had many foreigners who emigrated there, highlighting the figure of Antonio Rodriguez Alves de Faria, the founder of the Companhia de Comércio e Navegação in 1909,” he specified.

Photos: Luciana Carneiro

Continue Reading

Trending