Connect with us

Top News

Covid-19 attacks Xavante native Brazilians, with 13 deaths in 5 days

Published

on

Covid-19 attacks Xavante native Brazilians, with 13 deaths in 5 days

According to the latest figures released by the government’s Special Indigenous Public Health Service (SESAI), at least 13 Xavante have caused people to die over the past five days, and 50 other cases were confirmed during the same period.

As many as 16 Covid-19 deaths have now been recorded in the Xavante region, which is located in the corner of Mato Grosso state in the Amazon, making it the second worst indigenous territory in Brazil, according to SESAI. The indigenous community in Alto Solimoes has recorded 25 deaths related to the pandemic, the agency said.
Last week, Xavante Crisanto leader Rudzo Tseremeywa released a the video about him in a hospital bed on social media. He and his parents were infected in June. In the video, he warns Xavante people about the severity of the disease and asks them to seek treatment immediately if they begin to experience symptoms.

At first, the community did not believe that the virus would enter the Xavante region, Lucio Lucio Terowa’a, secretary of the Federation of Indigenous Peoples and Organizations Mato Grosso, told CNN. The local government has not drawn up contingency plans to fight the virus or raise awareness about protective measures, he added. “That is why we are experiencing this rapid contamination,” said Terowa’a.

Brazil National Indian Foundation, FUNAI, a government agency that oversees customary affairs, installed travel barriers in nine regions of Xavante earlier this year. “But it came too late, the disease was already in,” said Terowa’a, who had lost six people close to her family to Covid-19.

About 22,000 indigenous people live in the Xavante region, surrounded by soybean farms and animal husbandry. As of last Tuesday, 126 Xavante people were infected by Covid-19 and 46 others were suspected, according to SESAI.

See also  Confederation, the statue of Columbus was destroyed throughout the US amid protests

In Barra dos Garças, a municipality that houses the traditional land of São Marcos where Terowa’a and his family live, two-thirds of all inpatients last week were Xavante people. Terowa’a is worried that the hospital will collapse in the coming weeks. “If (the virus) spreads further, it will not be able to offer treatment to everyone,” he said.

According to SESAI, as of June 30, 156 Brazilian native people had died and 6,488 were infected by the corona virus since the beginning of the pandemic.

According to calculations by the Brazilian Indigenous Peoples Association (APIB), which includes cases and deaths of indigenous people living in urban areas (while SESAI only covers those living in traditional villages), 380 indigenous people have died and 9,414 were infected with Covid-19 on June 28.
Overall, corona virus cases have surged in Brazil. On Wednesday, according to Johns Hopkins global tracker, Brazil has recorded more than 1.4 million cases with near-60,000 fatalities.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

Portuguese historical films will premiere on 29 December.

Published

on

Portuguese historical films will premiere on 29 December.

Method Media Bermuda will present the documentary FABRIC: Portuguese History in Bermuda on Thursday, December 29 at the Underwater Research Institute of Bermuda.

A spokesperson said: “Method Media is proud to bring Bermuda Fabric: Portugal History to Bermuda for its 5th and 6th showing at the Bermuda Underwater Observatory. In November and December 2019, Cloth: A Portuguese Story in Bermuda had four sold-out screenings. Now that Bermuda has reopened after the pandemic, it’s time to bring the film back for at least two screenings.

“There are tickets Ptix.bm For $ 20 – sessions at 15:30 and 18:00. Both screenings will be followed by a short Q&A session.

Director and producer Milton Raboso says, “FABRIC is a definitive account of the Portuguese community in Bermuda and its 151 years of history, but it also places Bermuda, Acors and Portugal in the world history and the events that have fueled those 151 years.

“It took more than 10 years to implement FABRIC. The film was supported by the Minister of Culture, the Government of the Azores and private donors.

Bermuda Media Method [MMB] Created in 2011 by producer Milton Raposo. MMB has created content for a wide range of clients: Bermuda’s new hospital renovation, reinsurance, travel campaigns, international sports and more. MMB pays special attention to artistic, cultural and historical content.

More about

#History of Bermuda #A photo #Portuguese

Model: Everybody, Entertainment, Movies/Movies, History, News

See also  Confederation, the statue of Columbus was destroyed throughout the US amid protests
Continue Reading

Top News

CRISTANO RONALDO CAN MAKE UP A GIANT IN CARIOCA AND PORTUGUESE TECHNICIAN SAYS ‘There will be room’

Published

on

CRISTANO RONALDO CAN MAKE UP A GIANT IN CARIOCA AND PORTUGUESE TECHNICIAN SAYS 'There will be room'

News

This is a fact or event of journalistic interest. This may be new or recent information. This also applies to the novelty of an already known situation.

Article

Mostly original text. Expresses the opinion of the author, but not necessarily the opinion of the newspaper. It can be written by journalists or specialists from different fields.

Investigative

A report that contains unknown facts or episodes with a pronounced denunciatory content. This requires special methods and resources.

Content commerce

Editorial content that offers the reader conditions for making purchases.

Analysis

This is the interpretation of the news, taking into account information that goes beyond the facts told. It uses data, brings events and scenario forecasts, as well as past contexts.

Editorial

Analytical text translating the official position of the vehicle in relation to the facts covered.

Sponsored

This is an institutional article on a topic of interest to the company sponsoring the report.

fact checking

Content that confirms the accuracy and authenticity of the disclosed information or facts.

Context

This is an article that brings subsidies, historical data and relevant information to help understand a fact or news.

special

An exciting report that details the various aspects and developments of this topic. It brings data, statistics, historical context, as well as stories of characters that are affected by or directly related to the topic in question.

Criticism

A text with detailed analysis and opinions on products, services and works of art in a wide variety of fields such as literature, music, film and visual arts.

Continue Reading

Top News

Maestro de Braga is the first Portuguese in the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba.

Published

on

Maestro de Braga is the first Portuguese in the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba.

Maestro Filipe Cunha, Artistic Director of the Philharmonic Orchestra of Braga, has been invited to conduct the Cuban National Symphony Orchestra, as announced today.

According to a statement sent by O MINHO, “he will be the first Portuguese conductor to conduct this orchestra in its entire history.”

In addition to this orchestra, the maestro will also work with the Lyceo Mozarteum de la Habana Symphony Orchestra.

The concerts will take place on 4 and 12 March 2023 at the National Theater of Cuba in Havana.

In the words of the maestro, quoted in the statement, “these will be very beautiful concerts with difficult but very complex pieces” and therefore he feels “very motivated”.

From the very beginning, Rachmaninoff’s Piano Concerto No. 2 will be performed by an Italian pianist (Luigi Borzillo), whom the maestro wants to bring to Portugal later this year. In the same concert, Mendelshon’s First Symphony will be performed.

Then, at the second concert, in the company of the Mexican clarinetist Angel Zedillo, he will perform the Louis Sfora Concerto No. 2. In this concert, the maestro also conducts Tchaikovsky’s Fifth Symphony.

“This is an international recognition of my work. An invitation that I accept with humility and great responsibility. I was surprised to learn that I would be the first Portuguese member of the Cuban National Symphony Orchestra. This is a very great honor,” the maestro said in a statement.

“I take with me the name of the city of Braga and Portugal with all the responsibility that goes with it, and I hope to do a good job there, leaving a good image and putting on great concerts. These will be very special concerts because, in addition to performing pieces that I love, especially Rachmaninov and Tchaikovsky, I will be directing two wonderful soloists who are also my friends. It will be very beautiful,” concludes Filipe Cunha.

See also  NYC tourist arrested in Hawaii for violating blockade; Instagram pics showed him on the beach

Continue Reading

Trending