Connect with us

Top News

At least 8 Secret Service agents were trapped in Phoenix with coronavirus after Pence’s trip

Published

on

At least 8 Secret Service agents were trapped in Phoenix with coronavirus after Pence's trip
Last month, up to 15 agents who tested positive for the virus got into the car and drove home, avoiding flights after being infected while preparing for President Donald Trump’s campaign, according to other sources familiar with the situation.
And in South Dakota, agents have been on the ground for days preparing for Trump’s visit to Mount Rushmore – but also for what some see as inevitable that one or many of them will contract the virus.

On Thursday morning, a group of about 20 security officers, including Secret Service agents, carried out a walk-through of an event that was clustered close together, observing the seats on the top of the Mount Rushmore amphitheater, the press area and the stage where the President would speak. Only two members of the group wore masks; a separate group of half a dozen uniformed officers who installed a magnetometer at the park entrance did not wear masks. But every screening agent present at the entrance was closed a few hours later.

As Trump and Pence continue their regular travel itinerary after months of being locked out by a pandemic, the risk posed by a large contingent of US Secret Service personnel who accompanied them became clear because about two dozen agents – if not more – had tested positive for the virus, sources familiar with the situation.

Health hazards have emerged as a bitter point for many people in the agency, where sources describe an increased sense of anxiety and anger because they are placed on what some consider to be an unreasonable risk. One agency source said there was “increased anger and frustration” among some at the Secret Service over what they considered “unnecessary travel and exposure” because of Trump and Pence’s trip.

“Even passionate Trump supporters are fed up,” said one agency source. “We signed up to take a bullet for him, we didn’t register to get sick for him for no apparent reason.”

See also  In Day 1 of Spring Mets 2.0 training

In addition to agents who became ill, many more had to be quarantined after making contact with other people who tested positive, putting pressure on the number of agencies because Trump and Pence continued to schedule trips throughout the country. Each trip requires several teams of agents, who work in turns to ensure proper rest.

White House spokesman Judd Deere said the President “takes the health and safety of all those who travel to support himself and all White House operations very seriously.”

“When preparing and carrying out any trip, White House Operations work closely with Doctors to the President and the White House Military Office, to ensure plans include current CDC guidelines and best practices to limit COVID-19 exposure as far as possible,” he said in a statement.

In the agency, some people wondered how important the trip was carried out by Trump and Pence, especially the source of the campaign event previously explained to CNN as a means to improve the mood of the President.

Pence’s recent trips have all focused on coronaviruses – including in the Sun Belt countries where cases are soaring – and aides say it is important that the vice president get a direct view of the crisis.

The vice president’s office did not immediately return CNN’s request for comment.

“President Trump wants me to be here to tell you and the Arizona people that we are with you,” Pence said Wednesday when he met with the governor of the state. “We will make sure you have what you need, when you need it, to fulfill this moment.”

But Pence’s trip also had the effect of lending urgency to the pandemic response that Trump alleges had alternately damaged and ignored. And before that Pence communicated widely with the governor through teleconferences.

The tasks required by agents often complicate federal guidelines on social distance, even though the agency says they are trying to protect the safety of their employees.

See also  Porto beat Sporting and maintain a 100% success in Portuguese

“The health and safety of our workforce, their families and the people we protect remains a top priority for the agency,” Secret Service communications director Catherine Milhoan said in a statement. “The agency continues to operate in accordance with the recommendations of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention through the US Secret Service Office for the Safety, Health and Environment Program.”

Neither Trump nor Pence commented publicly about the two dozen agents who tested positive. When news emerged ahead of his Tulsa event that some staff and agents had received positive results, the President was very angry that it was coming out ahead of the rally, overshadowing the event itself.

At least eight Secret Service agents assigned to Pence details ahead of his trip to Arizona this week tested positive for the corona virus just before the vice president was scheduled to travel there, law enforcement sources told CNN.

It is unclear whether there is any overlap with agents from Tulsa and Phoenix.

Positive tests force a one-day delay in travel so the Secret Service can exchange in healthy teams – Pence has been scheduled to go to Arizona on Tuesday, but instead travels on Wednesday. Ahead of Pence’s trip, the state reported record highs for new daily cases and deaths since the country began posting data to the public in mid-March.

After testing positive, agents were quarantined at a hotel in Phoenix, said people who were aware of the problem. Some symptoms and are being treated by doctors, although do not require hospitalization, said the source.

Pence’s trip initially included several more public stops, including in Yuma, but the trip was scaled back amid a recent surge in the Covid case in Arizona. While there, Pence received directions and the latest information from local officials and did not leave the airport.

See also  Corruption from the Portuguese Valley

That happened more than a week after Trump’s march in Oklahoma, which disappointed the President because of the low number but kept pushing many cases among his staff and the details of the Secret Service.

Although the number of publicly released agents who tested positive while working at the Tulsa rally was two, sources familiar with the matter say the actual number is closer to 15.

Secret Service agents were tested in Tulsa on June 19, one day before the rally, and those who tested positive received the results within 48 hours – meaning some or all could be on the rally itself without knowing that they had tested positive. All were tested again in Washington six days after the rally.

To avoid aircraft, agents who tested positive drove back to their bases – including Dallas and Houston – to enter quarantine for at least 14 days. Agents tested negative from Tulsa are also required to quarantine at home for 14 days; most have now been cleared to return to work soon after this weekend.

In addition to Secret Service personnel, a number of Trump’s campaign staff tested positive for coronavirus while working at the Tulsa rally. Many campaign officials entered quarantine after the event as a precaution. All were tested again a few days after the general meeting.

At least one important presidential supporter who attended the rally, former presidential candidate Herman Cain, was hospitalized after being exposed to the corona virus. The spokesman said it was impossible to find out if he contracted the virus at a public meeting, where he was seen without a mask.

CORRECTION: This story has been corrected to reflect that not everyone who pre-shows goes through a Secret Service agent.

Betsy Klein and Nikki Carvajal from CNN contributed to this report.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

Portuguese historical films will premiere on 29 December.

Published

on

Portuguese historical films will premiere on 29 December.

Method Media Bermuda will present the documentary FABRIC: Portuguese History in Bermuda on Thursday, December 29 at the Underwater Research Institute of Bermuda.

A spokesperson said: “Method Media is proud to bring Bermuda Fabric: Portugal History to Bermuda for its 5th and 6th showing at the Bermuda Underwater Observatory. In November and December 2019, Cloth: A Portuguese Story in Bermuda had four sold-out screenings. Now that Bermuda has reopened after the pandemic, it’s time to bring the film back for at least two screenings.

“There are tickets Ptix.bm For $ 20 – sessions at 15:30 and 18:00. Both screenings will be followed by a short Q&A session.

Director and producer Milton Raboso says, “FABRIC is a definitive account of the Portuguese community in Bermuda and its 151 years of history, but it also places Bermuda, Acors and Portugal in the world history and the events that have fueled those 151 years.

“It took more than 10 years to implement FABRIC. The film was supported by the Minister of Culture, the Government of the Azores and private donors.

Bermuda Media Method [MMB] Created in 2011 by producer Milton Raposo. MMB has created content for a wide range of clients: Bermuda’s new hospital renovation, reinsurance, travel campaigns, international sports and more. MMB pays special attention to artistic, cultural and historical content.

More about

#History of Bermuda #A photo #Portuguese

Model: Everybody, Entertainment, Movies/Movies, History, News

See also  Corruption from the Portuguese Valley
Continue Reading

Top News

CRISTANO RONALDO CAN MAKE UP A GIANT IN CARIOCA AND PORTUGUESE TECHNICIAN SAYS ‘There will be room’

Published

on

CRISTANO RONALDO CAN MAKE UP A GIANT IN CARIOCA AND PORTUGUESE TECHNICIAN SAYS 'There will be room'

News

This is a fact or event of journalistic interest. This may be new or recent information. This also applies to the novelty of an already known situation.

Article

Mostly original text. Expresses the opinion of the author, but not necessarily the opinion of the newspaper. It can be written by journalists or specialists from different fields.

Investigative

A report that contains unknown facts or episodes with a pronounced denunciatory content. This requires special methods and resources.

Content commerce

Editorial content that offers the reader conditions for making purchases.

Analysis

This is the interpretation of the news, taking into account information that goes beyond the facts told. It uses data, brings events and scenario forecasts, as well as past contexts.

Editorial

Analytical text translating the official position of the vehicle in relation to the facts covered.

Sponsored

This is an institutional article on a topic of interest to the company sponsoring the report.

fact checking

Content that confirms the accuracy and authenticity of the disclosed information or facts.

Context

This is an article that brings subsidies, historical data and relevant information to help understand a fact or news.

special

An exciting report that details the various aspects and developments of this topic. It brings data, statistics, historical context, as well as stories of characters that are affected by or directly related to the topic in question.

Criticism

A text with detailed analysis and opinions on products, services and works of art in a wide variety of fields such as literature, music, film and visual arts.

Continue Reading

Top News

Maestro de Braga is the first Portuguese in the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba.

Published

on

Maestro de Braga is the first Portuguese in the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba.

Maestro Filipe Cunha, Artistic Director of the Philharmonic Orchestra of Braga, has been invited to conduct the Cuban National Symphony Orchestra, as announced today.

According to a statement sent by O MINHO, “he will be the first Portuguese conductor to conduct this orchestra in its entire history.”

In addition to this orchestra, the maestro will also work with the Lyceo Mozarteum de la Habana Symphony Orchestra.

The concerts will take place on 4 and 12 March 2023 at the National Theater of Cuba in Havana.

In the words of the maestro, quoted in the statement, “these will be very beautiful concerts with difficult but very complex pieces” and therefore he feels “very motivated”.

From the very beginning, Rachmaninoff’s Piano Concerto No. 2 will be performed by an Italian pianist (Luigi Borzillo), whom the maestro wants to bring to Portugal later this year. In the same concert, Mendelshon’s First Symphony will be performed.

Then, at the second concert, in the company of the Mexican clarinetist Angel Zedillo, he will perform the Louis Sfora Concerto No. 2. In this concert, the maestro also conducts Tchaikovsky’s Fifth Symphony.

“This is an international recognition of my work. An invitation that I accept with humility and great responsibility. I was surprised to learn that I would be the first Portuguese member of the Cuban National Symphony Orchestra. This is a very great honor,” the maestro said in a statement.

“I take with me the name of the city of Braga and Portugal with all the responsibility that goes with it, and I hope to do a good job there, leaving a good image and putting on great concerts. These will be very special concerts because, in addition to performing pieces that I love, especially Rachmaninov and Tchaikovsky, I will be directing two wonderful soloists who are also my friends. It will be very beautiful,” concludes Filipe Cunha.

See also  Porto beat Sporting and maintain a 100% success in Portuguese

Continue Reading

Trending