Connect with us

Top News

An Indian family who was arrested for breaking lock rules died in police custody

Published

on

An Indian family who was arrested for breaking lock rules died in police custody

A fifth police officer will be arrested today, said K Shankar, a senior police officer from the Criminal Investigation Department in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu, where the killings took place.

The couple’s death last month exacerbated anger in India over police brutality, with male family members, politicians and human rights activists accusing officers of torturing couples before they died.

On Tuesday, Tamil Nadu’s highest court said there was enough evidence to charge police officers involved in the case with murder, based on injuries and official statements of the victims.

CNN has tried several times to contact local police to comment on the allegations. Initial police reports noted that the men maintained their injuries during the arrest. The officials have not commented openly about the allegations.

According to court documents, the state has transferred the case to the Central Investigation Bureau (CBI), which is basically the Indian FBI. But the Tamil Nadu Criminal Investigation Department is handling the case until CBI can begin its investigation.

In a statement Monday, the non-profit Commonwealth Human Rights Initiative said the case showed the need for India to enforce strong laws to ban and prosecute police torture and prisoner deaths.

“This sends a dire message about how broken the system is, the failure of the police and political leaders to step up accountability measures for illegality,” Indian chief executive committee commander Wajahat Habibullah words in a statement.

Habibullah also called on India to ratify the UN Convention Against Torture.

Indian politician Rahul Gandhi expressed his condolences to the family and begged the government to ensure justice for the two men.

“This is a tragedy when our protectors turn into oppressors,” he said words in a tweet last week.

What happened

On the night of June 19, Jeyaraj and his son Bennicks – which are only identified in court documents with their first names – sell mobile phones at their shop in Sathankulam, according to court documents.

When Delhi became the capital of the Indian coronavirus, the hospital struggled to overcome it
When they refused police requests to comply with the coronavirus locking rules stating that stores must be closed at night, they were arrested, according to documents. Tamil Nadu has recorded more than 90,000 cases of coronavirus and more than 1,200 deaths, making it one of the worst-hit states in India.

The father and son were detained in detention the next day after they conducted a medical examination, according to court documents.

See also  Lender of England holds prices regular and maintains bond acquiring degrees

At 7:45 pm on June 22, Bennicks was hospitalized, where he died less than two hours later, according to court documents. More than an hour after the death of his son, Jeyaraj was hospitalized in the same hospital and died the next morning, the document said.

It is not clear how the two men died. The Madras High Court, the highest court in the state, ordered the post-mortem of their bodies, but the results have not been released.

In a video statement in local mediaJeyaraj’s daughter, Persis – who only uses her first name – claimed her father was pushed to the floor and beaten by police.

According to Persis, when his brother, Bennicks, saw his father beaten, he tried to stop him but was also attacked.

Broader problem

Police in India “routinely use torture and arrest violation procedures with little or no accountability,” according to Human Rights Institute.

CNN has contacted several senior officers in Tamil Nadu on charges of brutality against the father and son but has received no response.

Indian court halts expansion of copper factory after deadly protests

On Tuesday, the Madras High Court said that local police “were trying to cause a loss of evidence.”

“In fact, they are brave enough to even intimidate court officials to place the spokes on the wheels of their investigation,” the court said.

In 2018, the last year in which statistics were available, 70 deaths were recorded throughout India under police custody, according to the National Criminal Records Bureau.

Tamil Nadu recorded 12 deaths – a very high number, given the state constitutes 5% of India’s population.

See also  Portuguese Treasury plans to issue 17.7 billion bonds in 2022 - Bonds

In India, several social media links the death of Jayaraj and Bennicks with the murder of George Floyd by police officers in the United States, which sparked protests against the excessive use of police to fight black people there.

But Shashi Tharoor, an MP and former Indian representative for the United Nations, compared the reaction to the deaths in India, where the case did not spark protests, with a global outpouring after Floyd’s death.

“Compare the anger caused by #GeorgeFloyd’s death around the world, to the absence of national anger here. Justice is denied?” tweeted Tharoor.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

Portuguese historical films will premiere on 29 December.

Published

on

Portuguese historical films will premiere on 29 December.

Method Media Bermuda will present the documentary FABRIC: Portuguese History in Bermuda on Thursday, December 29 at the Underwater Research Institute of Bermuda.

A spokesperson said: “Method Media is proud to bring Bermuda Fabric: Portugal History to Bermuda for its 5th and 6th showing at the Bermuda Underwater Observatory. In November and December 2019, Cloth: A Portuguese Story in Bermuda had four sold-out screenings. Now that Bermuda has reopened after the pandemic, it’s time to bring the film back for at least two screenings.

“There are tickets Ptix.bm For $ 20 – sessions at 15:30 and 18:00. Both screenings will be followed by a short Q&A session.

Director and producer Milton Raboso says, “FABRIC is a definitive account of the Portuguese community in Bermuda and its 151 years of history, but it also places Bermuda, Acors and Portugal in the world history and the events that have fueled those 151 years.

“It took more than 10 years to implement FABRIC. The film was supported by the Minister of Culture, the Government of the Azores and private donors.

Bermuda Media Method [MMB] Created in 2011 by producer Milton Raposo. MMB has created content for a wide range of clients: Bermuda’s new hospital renovation, reinsurance, travel campaigns, international sports and more. MMB pays special attention to artistic, cultural and historical content.

More about

#History of Bermuda #A photo #Portuguese

Model: Everybody, Entertainment, Movies/Movies, History, News

See also  Black Lives Matter protested throughout the US and the world: Immediate renewal
Continue Reading

Top News

CRISTANO RONALDO CAN MAKE UP A GIANT IN CARIOCA AND PORTUGUESE TECHNICIAN SAYS ‘There will be room’

Published

on

CRISTANO RONALDO CAN MAKE UP A GIANT IN CARIOCA AND PORTUGUESE TECHNICIAN SAYS 'There will be room'

News

This is a fact or event of journalistic interest. This may be new or recent information. This also applies to the novelty of an already known situation.

Article

Mostly original text. Expresses the opinion of the author, but not necessarily the opinion of the newspaper. It can be written by journalists or specialists from different fields.

Investigative

A report that contains unknown facts or episodes with a pronounced denunciatory content. This requires special methods and resources.

Content commerce

Editorial content that offers the reader conditions for making purchases.

Analysis

This is the interpretation of the news, taking into account information that goes beyond the facts told. It uses data, brings events and scenario forecasts, as well as past contexts.

Editorial

Analytical text translating the official position of the vehicle in relation to the facts covered.

Sponsored

This is an institutional article on a topic of interest to the company sponsoring the report.

fact checking

Content that confirms the accuracy and authenticity of the disclosed information or facts.

Context

This is an article that brings subsidies, historical data and relevant information to help understand a fact or news.

special

An exciting report that details the various aspects and developments of this topic. It brings data, statistics, historical context, as well as stories of characters that are affected by or directly related to the topic in question.

Criticism

A text with detailed analysis and opinions on products, services and works of art in a wide variety of fields such as literature, music, film and visual arts.

Continue Reading

Top News

Maestro de Braga is the first Portuguese in the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba.

Published

on

Maestro de Braga is the first Portuguese in the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba.

Maestro Filipe Cunha, Artistic Director of the Philharmonic Orchestra of Braga, has been invited to conduct the Cuban National Symphony Orchestra, as announced today.

According to a statement sent by O MINHO, “he will be the first Portuguese conductor to conduct this orchestra in its entire history.”

In addition to this orchestra, the maestro will also work with the Lyceo Mozarteum de la Habana Symphony Orchestra.

The concerts will take place on 4 and 12 March 2023 at the National Theater of Cuba in Havana.

In the words of the maestro, quoted in the statement, “these will be very beautiful concerts with difficult but very complex pieces” and therefore he feels “very motivated”.

From the very beginning, Rachmaninoff’s Piano Concerto No. 2 will be performed by an Italian pianist (Luigi Borzillo), whom the maestro wants to bring to Portugal later this year. In the same concert, Mendelshon’s First Symphony will be performed.

Then, at the second concert, in the company of the Mexican clarinetist Angel Zedillo, he will perform the Louis Sfora Concerto No. 2. In this concert, the maestro also conducts Tchaikovsky’s Fifth Symphony.

“This is an international recognition of my work. An invitation that I accept with humility and great responsibility. I was surprised to learn that I would be the first Portuguese member of the Cuban National Symphony Orchestra. This is a very great honor,” the maestro said in a statement.

“I take with me the name of the city of Braga and Portugal with all the responsibility that goes with it, and I hope to do a good job there, leaving a good image and putting on great concerts. These will be very special concerts because, in addition to performing pieces that I love, especially Rachmaninov and Tchaikovsky, I will be directing two wonderful soloists who are also my friends. It will be very beautiful,” concludes Filipe Cunha.

See also  Trump postponed the G7 meeting and sought to expand membership

Continue Reading

Trending