Connect with us

Top News

Why this Japan-China island dispute could become the next hotspot of Asian military

Published

on

China flexes military muscle amid coronavirus pandemic

Both Tokyo and Beijing claim uninhabited islands, known as Senkakus in Japan and Diaoyus in China, as their own, but Japan has managed them since 1972.

Tension over a rocky chain, 1,200 miles (1,900 kilometers) southwest of Tokyo, has been boiling for years, and with claims for those from hundreds of years ago, neither Japan nor China would likely retreat in areas deemed birthright nationally in both capitals.

In that respect, the islands are no different from the rocky heights of the Himalayas, where decades of tension at the unclear border between China and India erupted late Monday, triggering clashes that left at least 20 Indian troops dead. .

The battle, though deadly, was relatively limited – and both sides have eased tensions in the days since then.

But the unexpected turmoil in Senkaku / Diaoyus could trigger a military confrontation between China and the United States.

That’s because the United States has a joint defense agreement with Japan. If Japanese territory is attacked by foreign powers, the United States must defend it.

Concerns about a possible confrontation escalated last week with announcements from Japanese coast guards that Chinese government ships have been seen in waters near the Senakaku / Diaoyu Islands every day since mid-April, setting a new record for the number of consecutive days.

On Friday, the apparition reached 67 consecutive days.

Take a strong attitude

Responding to the increasing presence of Chinese people, Yoshihide Suga, Japan’s chief cabinet secretary, reiterated Tokyo’s determination at a press conference last Wednesday.

“The Senkaku Islands are under our control and there is no doubt that our territory is historically and international law. It is very serious that this activity continues. We will respond to the Chinese side firmly and calmly,” Suga said.

In a statement Friday, the Chinese Foreign Ministry echoed the sentiment of the Japanese government, from the opposite perspective.

“Diaoyu Island and its affiliated islands are an inherent part of Chinese territory, and it is our right to conduct patrols and law enforcement activities in these waters.”

Similar comments were recently published in China Government-run Global Times newspaper. The report entitled “Japanese Conservatives disrupted the restoration of Sino-Japanese relations by igniting the Diaoyu Islands dispute,” criticizing ongoing efforts in Okinawa’s prefecture to change the administration of the islands, noting that it could jeopardize Japan-China relations.

On the surface, the move, proposed by the Ishigaki city council, where the islands are managed, seems harmless.

See also  Trump, Pelosi solid blame as unemployment ends

According to Japan’s Asahi Shimbun, the council wants to separate the islands from the densely populated parts of Ishigaki to streamline administrative practices.

But in a resolution before the Ishigaki City Council, the city “confirmed the islands were part of Japanese territory.”

This is the type of language that tickles in Beijing.

“Changing administrative appointments at this time can only make disputes more complicated and carry more crisis risks,” Li Haidong, a professor at the Institute of International Relations at the Chinese Foreign Relations University, told the Global Times.

A vote in Ishigaki is expected at a council meeting Monday.

Before last week, the latest “crisis” in the islands occurred in 2012.

That year, Japan nationalized privately owned islands to ward off planned sales to the then governor of Tokyo, a hard-line nationalist who reportedly hoped to develop the islands.

People take pictures of Japanese cars damaged during protests against Japan's nationalization & # 39; The disputed Diaoyu Islands, also known as the Senkaku Islands in Japan, in the Chinese city of Xi, on 15 September 2012.
The plan sparked massive and highly unusual street protests throughout China, amid a wave of nationalist sentiment.

The demonstration turned violent when protesters threw rubble at the Japanese Embassy in Beijing, searched Japanese shops and restaurants and overturned Japanese cars.

In a vivid illustration of how the islands burned into Chinese consciousness, a Chinese man was beaten to a coma by his compatriot just because he was driving a Toyota Corolla.

History of contention

China says its claims to the islands reached the 1400s, when they were used as staging points for Chinese fishermen.

However, Japan said it did not see traces of Chinese control over the islands in the 1885 survey, so officially recognized them as Japan’s sovereign territory in 1895.

A group of settlers produce dried fish and collect fur, with islands that have more than 200 inhabitants at one point, according to the Japanese Foreign Ministry.

See also  More than 4 million homeowners missed mortgage payments amid coronavirus

Japan then sold the islands in 1932 to descendants of the original migrants, but the factory failed around 1940 and the islands were eventually abandoned. Japan surrendered at the end of World War II in 1945 only served to further obscure this problem.

The islands were managed by US occupation forces after the war. But in 1972, Washington returned them to Japan as part of their withdrawal from Okinawa.

Divided Japanese people & # 39; The Rising Sun ' The flag was installed on dead fish during a demonstration in Taipei on September 14, 2010, above the disputed Senkaku / Diaoyu island chain.

Self-governing Taiwan, which Beijing considers a Chinese province, also claims ownership of the chain.

And objections to the administrative reclassification of the islands in Taiwan shows the depth that connects each of the complainant islands.

Tsai Wen-yi, a city council member in Taiwan’s Yilan County, said if Japanese changes occur, he would arrange a fleet of fishing vessels from the area to “defend” the islands from Japan, according to a report from the Taipei Times.
Japanese Land Self Defense Forces' amphibious assault vehicles hit the beach during amphibious landing exercises in the Philippines in 2018.
The Senkaku / Diaoyus Defense has been a priority of the Japanese Self Defense Forces (JSDF) in recent years. Council on Foreign Relations Tokyo records have established a new military base nearby to protect the islands. JSDF has also built its marines and drilled it in the island war.

Although the islands are uninhabited, there are economic interests involved, according to the CFR.

The islands “have potential oil and natural gas reserves, are close to famous shipping routes, and are surrounded by rich fishing grounds,” he said.

What could trigger a clash

That all adds to the potential problems, said William Choong, a senior colleague at ISEAS-Yusof Ishak Institute in Singapore

“Compared to other flashpoints in the region – the South China Sea, Taiwan and North Korea’s weapons program – the East China Sea combines a unique and flammable mix of history, honor and region,” Choong wrote this month in The Interpreter, a blog from the Lowy Institute in Australia.
Asia Maritime Transparency Initiative (AMTI) painted the screenplay where something easily imaged – a defective crew or landing an aircraft on one of the islands – can turn into a serious international incident.
Small islands that could explode China-Vietnam relations

“If a Chinese fishing crew, coast guard, or military member lands on the Senkakus, then the Japanese Coast Guard will definitely try to move them in law enforcement actions. But given that China does not recognize Japanese claims, it is certainly possible that Beijing can see this as escalation, which might result in a substantial military response from China, “the AMTI website said.

In the current climate in the Indo-Pacific, China indicates it is ready to push its claim. For example, in the South China Sea, China has moved planes to the artificial islands it has built; has sunk one Vietnamese fishing boat and crashed into another; it has harassed the survey vessel chartered by Malaysia and sent one of its belongings to waters claimed by Indonesia; in the past few weeks alone, Chinese warplanes have been warned by Taiwanese fighters at least five times.

And with an ironic nod to what happened in the East China Sea, Beijing reclassified the claims of the island in the South China Sea, making the Spratly / Nansha and Paracel / Xisha islands more prominent in the country’s government hierarchy.

Then there is the India-China border in the Himalayas. Before and after the deadly clashes last Monday, Chinese state-run media were full of stories and images of new military hardware that Beijing could take to the mountains.

Choong believes it is unwise to think Senkakus / Diaoyus was not marked for the same attention at some point.

See also  Foreign students must leave the US if the class is online

“The question is not whether China, which is now the target of a full press trial by the Americans, wants to challenge Japan over the islands. The question is when, and how? This is what keeps Japanese (and American) policymakers awake at night,” Choong wrote.

Junko Ogura, Kaori Enjoji, Shawn Deng, and Katie Hunt from CNN contributed to this report.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

Miguel Oliveira qualified eighth for the Japanese Grand Prix.

Published

on

Miguel Oliveira qualified eighth for the Japanese Grand Prix.

Portuguese rider Miguel Oliveira (KTM) qualified this Saturday in eighth position at the Japanese MotoGP Grand Prix, 16th of 20 races of the season, despite a last-minute crash.

The Portuguese from the Austrian brand set his best lap of 1.55.895 minutes, finishing 0.681 seconds behind fastest Spaniard Marc Marquez (Honda). France’s Johann Zarco (Ducati) was second with 0.208 seconds and South African Brad Binder (KTM) was third with 0.323 seconds.

“I had good speed and potential in the second quarter and on this particular lap. [a última], but I was on the floor in the ninth turn. It was a shame, but I have confidence in tomorrow (Sunday),” commented the Portuguese rider in statements released by the KTM team. “It was difficult to prepare for the race, but we’ll see.” [o que vai acontecer]”- concluded Miguel Oliveira.

The Portuguese left the third row of the grid after falling just three minutes before the end of the session, marred by rain that caused a delay of more than an hour and had already forced the cancellation of the third free game. training session, at night. The fall of the Portuguese rider occurred in the third sector of the track, at a time when his results were improving. When 15 minutes of this second qualifying stage (Q2) ended, Oliveira finished in fourth place.

However, several riders were still halfway to the last lap and the Almada rider ended up being overtaken by Spaniards Jorge Martin (Ducati), Brad Binder and Aprilia Spaniards Aleix Espargaro and Maverick Viñales.

See also  Reopening Coronavirus: small shops struggle with the process

Pole position was won by Marc Marquez 1,071 days after he was the fastest in qualifying for the MotoGP World Championship, namely the 2019 Japanese Grand Prix.

“I am very pleased with the pole position. This morning I felt very strong on the wet track and decided to give it a try. This is very important for us and for the future. Tomorrow, on a dry surface, everything will be different. history,” said the Spanish rider, who has already become world champion eight times.

The rain that hit the Motegi track became a headache for the riders and the organization, which was forced to interrupt the Moto2 qualifying nine minutes before the end and cancel the third free practice in MotoGP.

Traffic on the track only resumed after more than an hour, and the wet track was the cause of several accidents, including that of a Portuguese KTM rider who slid off the pavement without physical consequences.

Johann Zarco’s Ducati was the fastest today, reaching 302 kilometers per hour, while Oliveira’s KTM lost 30 kilometers per hour in a straight line (the maximum speed achieved by the Portuguese was 270 kilometers per hour). Luca Marini’s Ducati was the slowest, reaching 255.9 kilometers per hour, leaving the Italian in 10th place.

Champion and championship leader Fabio Quartararo (Yamaha) of France finished ninth behind Miguel Oliveira, while World Cup runner-up Francesco Bagnaia (Ducati) of Italy finished 12th and last in the second quarter, bringing together the top 10 fastest in free practice and the top two in the first quarter.

See also  Coronavirus threatens 4 million Southern California jobs

Already the Italian Enea Bastianini (Ducati), the winner of the previous stage in Aragon, remained in Q1, where he fell without physical consequences.

Continue Reading

Top News

Arapiraquense makes humorous videos to give Portuguese advice: “You learn and laugh” | alagoas

Published

on

Arapiraquense makes humorous videos to give Portuguese advice: "You learn and laugh" |  alagoas

“You learn and you laugh” is how Erivaldo Amancio defines the Portuguese language content he offers online. Born in Arapiraque, Alagoas, he humorously gives advice and answers questions about the Portuguese language.

  • Share on whatsapp
  • Share on Telegram

Erivaldo has 767k followers on Instagram and over 17.5k followers on YouTube. It all started a year and a half ago when he got scolded in a comment on social media.

Because the swearing contained several grammatical errors, Erivaldo responded by posting a video teaching a “lesson” to the hater.

“It happened more than once. Some of these videos were posted on humorous Instagram profiles. It made me stand out,” he said.

A literature student at the Federal University of Alagoas (Ufal), Erivaldo wants to prepare even more for face-to-face classes when he is near the end of the course. He says the purpose of the profile is to encourage followers to seek out more knowledge.

“Tips on the web are just a seed, the fruit of which can be curiosity about objects,” he explained.

Through social media, Erivaldo responds to his followers’ doubts about the Portuguese language.

Erivaldo’s profile is also in demand by contestants and students preparing for Enem.

“[Os seguidores] it is said to be a very interesting way of learning. Many regret not learning from teachers who use humor in the classroom,” he said.

Watch the latest videos of g1 AL

Continue Reading

Top News

Who is the Portuguese that FIFA 23 has included in the list of potential stars?

Published

on

Who is the Portuguese that FIFA 23 has included in the list of potential stars?

FIFA 23 is available September 30th, and EA Sports is starting to shed some light on some of the game’s oddities.

If you like to develop talent in Career Mode, you should have a list of young people at hand: these are the 20 players with the most growth potential, that is, those who can improve their general. Among them is a Portuguese.

Diogo Monteiro is one of the “hidden gems” of FIFA 23 for EA Sports. The 17-year-old centre-back who plays for Servette has general 54, but with a potential of 24 points, he could at best go up to 78.

Who is this young Portuguese? Despite his young age – born in 2005 – he already has some experience. Moreover, this season he played three matches for Servette with a total duration of 17 minutes, divided between the championship and the Swiss Cup.

Diogo Monteiro, the son of Portuguese, was born on Swiss soil and started training at Etoile Carouge, but arrived in Servette to play for the under-15 team. In the 2020/21 season, he made his debut in the first team at the age of 16 years and 37 days, having the status of the youngest representative of the Geneva club.

The central defender has made 33 appearances for the Portuguese youth teams, which he has represented since his youth. He is the captain of the 2005 generation, and it was with this status that he reached the European U-17 Championship played this year, in which Portugal reached the semi-finals, having been eliminated from France. Diogo Monteiro, by the way, worked every minute of the competition.

See also  Foreign students must leave the US if the class is online

He was recently called up by Rui Bento to the under-19 team.

Check out the respective gallery to see which players have the most growth potential in FIFA 23.

Continue Reading

Trending