Connect with us

Top News

Why in Myanmar hundreds of thousands of people have never heard of Covid-19

Published

on

US coronavirus update: Latest news on cases, deaths and reopenings

Last June, the Myanmar government, led by State Adviser Aung San Suu Kyi, severed internet access nine cities in the area because of concerns that it was used to ignite fire clashes between Myanmar’s military and rebels.

One township service was restored in May, but eight other cities, with a total population of around 800,000 people, remain in the blackout.

Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International say the extended closure is endangering lives, not only because it prevents people from reporting possible human rights violations – but because they have cut off ties with public health campaigns about the coronavirus pandemic.

“With the armed conflict between the Myanmar military and the Arakan Army in Rakhine State in the midst of a pandemic, it is very important for civilians to get the information needed to stay safe,” Linda Lakhdhir, Asian legal adviser at Human Rights Watch words in a statement.
On Monday, Myanmar has recorded six deaths and 292 positive cases from more than 64,532 tests, according to Myanmar Ministry of Health.

Cases have been found in the cities of Maungdaw and Buthidaung in the northern state of Rakhine, where more than 100,000 Rohingya Muslims live in crowded camps. Many fled the “cleansing operation,” launched by the military against Rohingya guerrillas in 2018. The United Nations has called for the Myanmar military to face an international tribunal on charges of genocide for atrocities committed by Rohingya Muslims. Rakhine Buddhists who were displaced by newer battles also lived in camps in the area.

When the coronavirus pandemic spread around the world earlier this year, the Suu Kyi government launched an “No Person Left Behind” information campaign about disease prevention, such as social distance requirements.

See also  Luis Faria guarantees first Portuguese triumph at Maia Open II

But lawmaker Htoot May, who represents the Arakan National League for Democracy at the Parliamentary Assembly of the Myanmar Union, said on Sunday that many people living in northern Rakhine state and neighboring Chin did not receive public health notices circulated on Facebook, a shipping application message and government website.

“When I ask people in my constituency if they know Covid-19, I have to explain the global pandemic to them from the start,” Htoot May said. “I have to explain to them what social distance is and how to practice proper hand hygiene.”

“I cannot travel widely because of Covid-19, obviously, so there are only so many people I can warn about,” MP continued.

“They are not afraid of Covid-19 because they don’t know it, at this stage they are much more worried about fighting.”

CNN has approached Burma’s State Counselor Office spokesman Zaw Htay for comment.

Ongoing clashes

Fighting broke out in late 2018 between the Myanmar military, known as the Tatmadaw, and the complete Arakan Army, who wanted greater autonomy for Rakhine Buddhists, the majority of the population in the state of Rakhine.

When war broke out, the closure of the internet had resulted in more civilian deaths by rejecting people’s information directly, according to one Open letter published by a coalition of political groups and the Rakhine community to social media on Sunday.

Clashes have escalated in spite of the internet blackout, while 151 civilians were killed and 344 injured in the crossfire between January and May, according to the letter.

“This is not a conflict that can be won by both sides on the battlefield,” Myanmar independent analyst Richard Horsey said in a statement to The International Crisis Group. “This is basically a political problem where the people of Rakhine want more autonomy and talk more about their future. (Myanmar) needs to develop a political response and which is currently lacking.”

See also  Cristiano Ronaldo breaks another record; what else is missing in Portuguese?

The alternative is an ongoing war, said Horsey, and both the Arakan Army and Myanmar’s military have been accused of atrocities. Khine Kyaw Moe, an MP representing the Rakhine National Party, said that without an internet connection, the atrocities would not be reported and were not documented.

“The two forces committed human rights violations and, without the internet, people were cut off from journalists and from local and international NGOs where they might report these things to,” Khine Kyaw Moe said.

An open letter on Sunday, addressed to Suu Kyi and signed by 79 Rakhine stakeholder groups, said they were looking for a political solution, which would begin with the government reconnecting the internet.

“Freedom of speech and access to information are the basis of democracy. In this day and age, access to the internet is a standard of democracy. Equality demands ready information about the economy, education, health and society,” the letter reads.

Election Year

Like many other countries, Myanmar imposed a curfew, banning large gatherings and quarantine periods for foreign migrants in an effort to control the spread of the corona virus.

The government also imposes criminal penalties for people who do not obey the rules, including imprisonment for those who violate quarantine orders. At least 500 people, including children, have been sentenced to one year in prison.

The state’s response seems to have stemmed the spread of the virus, but not without criticism.

“Throwing hundreds behind bars in a dense and unhygienic prison defeats the purpose of holding back the spread of Covid-19,” said Phil Robertson of Human Rights Watch in a statement in May.

Suu Kyi’s approach to the pandemic could hit her as the country prepares to vote in elections later this year.

See also  Jim Carrey to play Joe Biden on SNL, new season kicks off October 3

MP Htoot May said the battle at Rakhine and the closure of subsequent communications could also erode voter support for Suu Kyi and her party, the National League for Democracy.

“In 2015 I believed in Suu Kyi and I enjoyed working with her,” MP Htoot May said. “I would think that Aung San Suu Kyi would help people in remote areas to get internet access, not break their relationship.”

“Human rights are not something Aung San Suu Kyi can talk about. She needs to practice it.”

On the other hand, Suu Kyi’s notes about the virus have nothing to do with the results of her election – because of the internet closure, a large number of people in the west end of the country might never know it happened.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

Portuguese tennis player Gonçalo Oliveira in the doubles final of the Lisbon Belém Open

Published

on

Portuguese coach praises the development of women's handball after the Iberian duel

Oliveira and Kolar defeated France’s Manuel Guinard and Venezuela’s Luis David Martínez in the semi-finals for first place in the series, in straight sets with partial scores of 6-1 and 6-2 after 58 minutes of play.

In the title match, they will take on the Ukrainian duo of Vladislav Manafov and Oleg Prikhodko, who eliminated Jivan Nedunchezhyan of India and Christopher Rungkat of Indonesia 6-4 and 6-2 in the semi-finals.

For the 27-year-old Portuguese tennis player, this will be his 31st doubles final at the ATP Challenger Tour and third at the Lisboa Belém Open after reaching the final in 2017 with compatriot Frederico Gil and champion in 2020 with Dominican Roberto Cid Subervi.

In singles, Italian Marco Cecchinato, semi-finalist of Roland Garros in 2018, beat Spaniard Carlos Taberner 7-6 (7-2) and 6-4, scheduling a meeting in the semi-final with the “Reserve” Kazakh Timofey Skatov, responsible for eliminating Frenchman Benoit Pera, in three matches, with a score of 6-4, 2-6 and 7-5.

The other semi-final of the Lisbon tournament will be discussed between Austrian Filip Mizolich, who defeated Giulio Zeppieri 6-4 today, and Frenchman Luca van Assche, the executioner of compatriot Alexander Müller, who finished seventh. parts 6-4 and 7-5.

See also  Lisbon and London return to the rhetoric of the ″oldest alliance in the world″
Continue Reading

Top News

Portuguese fund CA Património Crescente wins European award for highest return – Imobiliário

Published

on

Portuguese fund CA Património Crescente wins European award for highest return - Imobiliário

Open-ended real estate investment fund CA Património Crescente has once again received the MSCI European Property Investment Awards in the Diversified Portfolio category for 2021.

This is the 12th time that the Portuguese fund, established in 2005, has received this award, which distinguishes the national real estate portfolio with the best return. In 2021, CA Património Crescente’s real estate portfolio returned 7.8%, compared to 6.3% in the benchmark.

The largest share of real estate income was received through shopping centers and offices: 8.7% and 8.6% respectively, according to the Portuguese fund Negócios, which at the end of August had a portfolio of 141 assets worth 1,031 million euros.

CA Património Crescente is one of the six funds managed by Square Asset Management, with Grupo Crédito Agrícola being the custodian bank and responsible for its marketing and investments mainly in real estate destined for trade, offices, services, industry, logistics or hotels.

The CA Património Crescente fund returned an annualized return of 5.1% in April, which declined slightly to 4.23% after two years, rising to 4.72% after three years and 4.74% after five years. . The average ten-year yield was 3.95%.

Square AM was also once again awarded by Euromoney, which recognizes major leaders in real estate financial products and services, as the “Best Investment Manager” of 2022.

Square AM has been on the market for 17 years and is one of the largest real estate fund managers in Portugal with €1.3 billion in assets and over 25,000 investors.

See also  Jim Carrey to play Joe Biden on SNL, new season kicks off October 3
Continue Reading

Top News

Benfica announces a partnership with Portuguese driver Miguel Santiago.

Published

on

Benfica announces a partnership with Portuguese driver Miguel Santiago.



Young competes at the National Speed ​​Championship and the FIM GP Junior World Championship.

Benfica have announced a partnership with driver Miguel Santiago, a Portuguese driver who works in the National Speed ​​Championship and the FIM Junior World Championship. Santi, who started taking his first steps in motorsport in 2016, was pleased with someone during the presentation. “The dream has come true! When I was little, before riding motorcycles, I played football, went to Benfica’s school in Mafra, I always dreamed of becoming a Benfica athlete. I never thought! A few years ago, if you had asked me, I would have said no, I believed that one day I would be here, it is a great pride. I have no words. I just hope to reach the goals, glorify the club. I have the race, the desire and the ambition.” , repeated the 18-year-old BTV pilot.

Miguel Santiago is thinking about becoming the queen of motorcycle racing.

“In recent years, the FIM Junior GP has attracted many riders to the Moto GP where 20 out of 24 riders [que participam] come from this contest. Participation in Moto GP is considered the greatest school of prodigies, I am proud to be there and so close to the level of Moto GP,” he said.

Flavio Miguel Silva


four

leave your comment

See also  Lisbon and London return to the rhetoric of the ″oldest alliance in the world″
Continue Reading

Trending