Connect with us

Top News

UK unemployment is expected to reach levels that were last seen in the 1980s

Published

on

UK unemployment is expected to reach levels that were last seen in the 1980s

LONDON – Unemployment in the UK is widely expected to reach levels not seen since the mid-1980s over the coming months as a result of a recession caused by the corona virus.

Although the number of people officially labeled unemployment remained stable in April, the first full month after closing, analysts said Tuesday, it was only a matter of time before the full impact of the economic collapse was seen.

That’s because the efforts of the British government to protect the labor market from economic damage due to closure will soon be over. Under the Job Retention Scheme, he has paid up to 80% of the salary of retained workers, up to $ 3,150 a month.

Many companies refrain from cutting jobs, with 1.1 million employers so far taking advantage of this scheme by relaxing 9.1 million people at a cost to the government of $ 26 billion.

Given the colossal costs involved, the head of the Ministry of Finance Rishi Sunak said that starting in August, the company had to start contributing, and the scheme would be closed two months later.

The end of this scheme has raised concerns about a surge in unemployment to potentially more than 3 million for the first time since 1987. In April, the internationally recognized unemployment measure in the UK was 1.34 million, or 3.9%, according to figures. published on Tuesday by the Office for National Statistics.

Some of the leave workers will return to their jobs on Monday reopening of non-essential shops in Britain for the first time in almost three months.

See also  What happens in Santorini when the 'engine' of tourism stops

But it is clear that not everyone will be able to come back given that many companies tend to go bankrupt as a result of lockouts. Last week’s figures show The UK economy shrank by 20% in April alone.

“While this policy softens blows for workers who have fallen in difficult times in all industries, some unskilled workers will end up unemployed in time, especially in service industries such as retail and travel where demand will remain structurally lower after this pandemic has going well, “said Kallum Pickering, senior economist at Berenberg Bank.

Deep dive into the figures from the statistical agency shows that major changes are imminent. In particular, he noted that the number of people in the UK claiming work-related benefits increased by 23.3% monthly in May to 2.8 million. The so-called claimant count – which includes people who work with reduced or long-term income and those who are truly unemployed – is 125.9% higher than in March, the month when lockout restrictions were imposed.

“If the public health crisis is just beginning to subside, today’s figures show that the unemployment crisis has just begun,” said Tony Wilson, director of the Institute for Employment Studies.

He said that unemployment rose faster than during the Great Depression of the 1930s and was set to top 3 million this summer.

Trade unions and employers are urging more support from the government. Sunak is expected to announce a large fiscal stimulus in the coming weeks.

“Unemployment falls unevenly in society and leaves the scars of the last generation,” said Matthew Percival, director of people and skills at the Confederation of British Industry.

See also  Richard Quest: I got Covid-19 two months ago. I am still discovering new areas of damage

“The urgent priority must be to create jobs that are inclusive today, with turbo filling a sustainable industry in the future,” he added.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

Portuguese historical films will premiere on 29 December.

Published

on

Portuguese historical films will premiere on 29 December.

Method Media Bermuda will present the documentary FABRIC: Portuguese History in Bermuda on Thursday, December 29 at the Underwater Research Institute of Bermuda.

A spokesperson said: “Method Media is proud to bring Bermuda Fabric: Portugal History to Bermuda for its 5th and 6th showing at the Bermuda Underwater Observatory. In November and December 2019, Cloth: A Portuguese Story in Bermuda had four sold-out screenings. Now that Bermuda has reopened after the pandemic, it’s time to bring the film back for at least two screenings.

“There are tickets Ptix.bm For $ 20 – sessions at 15:30 and 18:00. Both screenings will be followed by a short Q&A session.

Director and producer Milton Raboso says, “FABRIC is a definitive account of the Portuguese community in Bermuda and its 151 years of history, but it also places Bermuda, Acors and Portugal in the world history and the events that have fueled those 151 years.

“It took more than 10 years to implement FABRIC. The film was supported by the Minister of Culture, the Government of the Azores and private donors.

Bermuda Media Method [MMB] Created in 2011 by producer Milton Raposo. MMB has created content for a wide range of clients: Bermuda’s new hospital renovation, reinsurance, travel campaigns, international sports and more. MMB pays special attention to artistic, cultural and historical content.

More about

#History of Bermuda #A photo #Portuguese

Model: Everybody, Entertainment, Movies/Movies, History, News

See also  Portuguese Talent Awards PlayStation Contest - Observer
Continue Reading

Top News

CRISTANO RONALDO CAN MAKE UP A GIANT IN CARIOCA AND PORTUGUESE TECHNICIAN SAYS ‘There will be room’

Published

on

CRISTANO RONALDO CAN MAKE UP A GIANT IN CARIOCA AND PORTUGUESE TECHNICIAN SAYS 'There will be room'

News

This is a fact or event of journalistic interest. This may be new or recent information. This also applies to the novelty of an already known situation.

Article

Mostly original text. Expresses the opinion of the author, but not necessarily the opinion of the newspaper. It can be written by journalists or specialists from different fields.

Investigative

A report that contains unknown facts or episodes with a pronounced denunciatory content. This requires special methods and resources.

Content commerce

Editorial content that offers the reader conditions for making purchases.

Analysis

This is the interpretation of the news, taking into account information that goes beyond the facts told. It uses data, brings events and scenario forecasts, as well as past contexts.

Editorial

Analytical text translating the official position of the vehicle in relation to the facts covered.

Sponsored

This is an institutional article on a topic of interest to the company sponsoring the report.

fact checking

Content that confirms the accuracy and authenticity of the disclosed information or facts.

Context

This is an article that brings subsidies, historical data and relevant information to help understand a fact or news.

special

An exciting report that details the various aspects and developments of this topic. It brings data, statistics, historical context, as well as stories of characters that are affected by or directly related to the topic in question.

Criticism

A text with detailed analysis and opinions on products, services and works of art in a wide variety of fields such as literature, music, film and visual arts.

Continue Reading

Top News

Maestro de Braga is the first Portuguese in the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba.

Published

on

Maestro de Braga is the first Portuguese in the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba.

Maestro Filipe Cunha, Artistic Director of the Philharmonic Orchestra of Braga, has been invited to conduct the Cuban National Symphony Orchestra, as announced today.

According to a statement sent by O MINHO, “he will be the first Portuguese conductor to conduct this orchestra in its entire history.”

In addition to this orchestra, the maestro will also work with the Lyceo Mozarteum de la Habana Symphony Orchestra.

The concerts will take place on 4 and 12 March 2023 at the National Theater of Cuba in Havana.

In the words of the maestro, quoted in the statement, “these will be very beautiful concerts with difficult but very complex pieces” and therefore he feels “very motivated”.

From the very beginning, Rachmaninoff’s Piano Concerto No. 2 will be performed by an Italian pianist (Luigi Borzillo), whom the maestro wants to bring to Portugal later this year. In the same concert, Mendelshon’s First Symphony will be performed.

Then, at the second concert, in the company of the Mexican clarinetist Angel Zedillo, he will perform the Louis Sfora Concerto No. 2. In this concert, the maestro also conducts Tchaikovsky’s Fifth Symphony.

“This is an international recognition of my work. An invitation that I accept with humility and great responsibility. I was surprised to learn that I would be the first Portuguese member of the Cuban National Symphony Orchestra. This is a very great honor,” the maestro said in a statement.

“I take with me the name of the city of Braga and Portugal with all the responsibility that goes with it, and I hope to do a good job there, leaving a good image and putting on great concerts. These will be very special concerts because, in addition to performing pieces that I love, especially Rachmaninov and Tchaikovsky, I will be directing two wonderful soloists who are also my friends. It will be very beautiful,” concludes Filipe Cunha.

See also  Fox News looked the opposite when the US passed a bleak deathstone

Continue Reading

Trending