Connect with us

Top News

UFC star Conor McGregor: I retired from battle

Published

on

UFC star Conor McGregor: I retired from battle

Conor McGregor, considered the biggest star in UFC history, posted on Twitter on Saturday night that he retired from Octagon.

The announcement, which came after Amanda Nunes’ impressive flying class defensive title at UFC 250, came as a surprise, but someone already believed it to be insincere and could be more a publicity stunt. Retirement is often used as a bargaining tool in combat sports.

The 31-year-old McGregor, who has a 22-4 record in mixed martial arts, recently fought on January 18 when he scored a first round TKO victory over Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone at UFC 246.

“Hi, comrades, I have decided to retire from battle,” McGregor tweeted. “Thank you for the great memories! A very pleasant trip! “

The skepticism of this retirement announcement came from the fact that controversial fighters had made this doubtful statement before. Now this is the third time in four years the former champion of the two divisions announced his resignation. He also said he had finished fighting in 2016 and 2019, only to return.

McGregor recently didn’t sound like a warrior ready to stop. On May 28, he did posted on Twitter that he would accept the fight with Anderson Silva, another UFC legend. According to ESPN, this summer McGregor was once bound to a potential battle with current lightweight competitor Justin Gaethje, and there are also speculations of a trilogy battle, a tiebreaker fight against Nate Diaz.

Earlier this week, UFC president Dana White said McGregor might be better served to wait and face the winner of the title fight between Gaethje and Khabib Nurmagomedov, McGregor’s mortal enemy who won over him.

See also  Portuguese Minister of Defense to become Commander of the French Legion of Honor

After McGregor’s victory over Cerrone, there was also speculation that he would fight Floyd Mayweather again. But a rematch against Mayweather will be a little more challenging to hype again after McGregor clearly lost the 10th round TKO defeat on August 26, 2017.

Although White is likely to like having McGregor in another high-level battle, he told reporters Saturday night that if “The Notorious” wants to retire, he should call it quits, but also notes that people have behaved strangely during the coronavirus pandemic.

“Nobody presses anyone to fight,” White said after the UFC 250. “And if Conor McGregor feels he wants to retire, you know how I feel about retiring – you should really do it. And I like Conor … there are some people who make this very fun for me. And he is one of them. “

White, who has been a feud between UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones and star Jorge Masvidal, said “the number of people I shot at me right now is crazy.”

But the famous promoter, who has also been at odds with HBO host John Oliver, noted the many intrigues of the UFC up to turbulent times.

“If that’s what Conor feels right now – Jon Jones, Jorge Masvidal, I feel you,” White said. “It’s not like I’m leaving,” Oh my God—, this is crazy, this is crazy. “There is nothing crazy and crazy now, because everything is crazy and crazy now, to some degree. I really understood it and got it.”

See also  “Zaidu speaks some Portuguese but is very funny in his naivety”

McGregor, who has been the subject of controversy throughout his career, has made a lot of history at Octagon. When McGregor defeated Eddie Alvarez to win the light belt at UFC 205 on November 12, 2016, he became the first UFC fighter to hold two titles in two different weight classes simultaneously.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

Pioli ‘pulls’ Leao by the ears and says the Portuguese ‘must make a dash’

Published

on

Pioli 'pulls' Leao by the ears and says the Portuguese 'must make a dash'

FROMTefano Pioli, Milan coach, gave an interview on the Italian radio program Sky Calcio Club on Sunday in which he talked about Rafael Leao’s participation in the 2022 Mundial, a test in which the Portuguese striker was a replacement for Fernando Santos. ‘, indicating that he has been talking to his player over the past few days.

“If we talk? They have an obligation to call me at the end of the game. He is happy because Portugal is doing well. It is clear that he would like to play more. I can take advantage of this for a contract extension,” said Pioli, who also spoke about the Portuguese’s renewal process.

“He is fine with us and management and Rafael are talking. We are waiting for good news,” the Transalpine coach fired.

Looking at his player’s short playing time at this 2022 World Cup, Pioli admitted that Rafael Leau would like to have more playing time for the national team, but hinted that the Portuguese striker is not unhappy.

“If he plays a little? It’s hard to judge because Portugal has a very high quality team. Rafael is happy because Portugal is having a good World Cup, but there is a lot of quality and competitiveness in the attacking sector of the Portuguese team. “, – stressed the coach of the Italian, who also left a small warning to Rafael Leau.

“When you see him in training, you immediately understand that he has incredible potential. He has technique and speed that few others have. Over the course of a period, he had to develop and adapt to the reality at Milan, where the pressure is different from what he is. he was in Lille. It took time, but his potential to become a great player was always there. But he still needs to make the leap to become a champion because he can be even more decisive in the opponent’s zone,” he stressed.

See also  Portuguese Minister of Defense to become Commander of the French Legion of Honor

“If you think about Rafael from two years ago, he has made tremendous progress. He’s missing a few things, but he’s smart and approachable. I can give him all the ideas he wants, but his talent must be left free. should improve his heading, given his physique,” he concluded.

Read also: Spaniards say Carlo Ancelotti is “in love” with Rafael Leao

Always be the first to know.
Sixth year in a row Consumer Choice and Five Star Online Press Award.
Download our free app.

Apple Store Download

Continue Reading

Top News

Portugal, nuts and the Portuguese consumer: a successful trilogy

Published

on

Portugal, nuts and the Portuguese consumer: a successful trilogy

Nuts have become part of a limited group of Portuguese agri-food sectors that manage to achieve much-desired food self-sufficiency. In the case of almonds it is 170% and in the case of chestnuts it is 116% in relation to the national consumption.

The value of Portuguese agricultural production in 2021 was 9.6 billion euros, representing a growth rate of 14.6% compared to 2020, and therefore it is fair to say that dried fruits today, with a production of 80,000 tons and exports reaching 100 million euros contributed. to this success.

Continue Reading

Top News

Ronaldo scores first goal in World Cup playoffs | international football

Published

on

Ronaldo scores first goal in World Cup playoffs |  international football

Portugal’s Cristiano Ronaldo, the top scorer in the history of the Portuguese football team, is still looking for the first stage goal to knock out the World Cups, with Switzerland, the next opponent in the 2022 World Cup, one of the last options.

Continue Reading

Trending