Connect with us

Top News

Trump passed sanctions on the International Criminal Court

Published

on

Trump passed sanctions on the International Criminal Court

Under the orders of the new executive, any individual who is “directly involved in any attempt by the ICC to investigate, arrest, detain or prosecute any United States personnel without the consent of the United States” or has made the same effort against US allies without the country’s consent may be subject to sanctions.

The latest move comes months after the ICC allowed an investigation into alleged war crimes committed in Afghanistan by US and Afghan forces as well as alleged war crimes and crimes against humanity committed by the Taliban. It also follows a push by Chief Prosecutor Fatou Bensouda to investigate the potential crimes committed by Israel against Palestine – a prospect that Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said they were “very concerned about.”

The green light to sanction ICC officials has drawn the attention of officials in international institutions and human rights organizations.

Trump administration officials have long rejected ICC authorities – noting that the US is not a party to an international tribunal – and have taken steps intended to deter investigations, including revoking Bensouda’s entry visa last year.

“The act of the International Criminal Court is an attack on the rights of the American people and threatens to violate our national sovereignty,” White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany said in a statement.

“As explained in the President’s Executive Order, the United States will continue to use all means necessary to protect our citizens and allies from unfair prosecutions by the International Criminal Court,” he said.

Speaking at the State Department Thursday, Pompeo said, “We cannot and we will not stand because our people are threatened by the kangaroo court.”

See also  Portuguese parliament flips state budget and opens doors for early elections

Pompeo said economic sanctions would be determined on a case-by-case basis. He also said visa restrictions would include family members of targeted officials.

“That doesn’t give us joy to punish them, but we can’t let ICC officials and their families come to the United States to shop, travel, and instead enjoy American freedom because these same officials are trying to sue the defenders of that very freedom,” said the top US diplomat.

CNN has contacted the ICC to comment.

Defense Secretary Mark Esper said that the government expects “information about alleged violations by our people will be submitted to US authorities so that we can take appropriate action because we have consistently done so in the past.”

“In the end, our justice system ensures that our people are held accountable under the United States Constitution, not the International Criminal Court or other intergovernmental bodies,” Esper said at the State Department along with Pompeo, Attorney General William Barr and national security adviser Robert O’Brien.

None of the officials answered press questions.

In his remarks on Thursday, Barr said “the US government has reason to doubt the honesty of the ICC.” He claimed the Justice Department had “substantial, credible information” about “financial corruption and long-standing irregularities at the highest level of the prosecutor’s office” and expressed concern “that foreign powers such as Russia are also manipulating the ICC in pursuing their own agenda …” Barr did not elaborate or provide evidence for those claims, which are also contained in McEnany’s statement. Russia withdrew as a signatory to the founding law of the ICC in 2016.

‘Serious problem’

In early June, the Military Coalition, “a group of 34 military, veterans and uniformed service organizations,” write for Trump to express “deep concern” at the ICC investigation in Afghanistan. In mid-May, dozens of MPs from the bipartisan party House and Senate wrote to Pompeo to oppose a potential international tribunal investigation of Israel.

However, the government’s move to prevent this investigation through sanctions has drawn criticism on the world stage. On Thursday, the European Union’s High Representative for Foreign Affairs Josep Borrell called Trump’s executive order “a serious problem.”

See also  Michael Hiltzik: Disaster work in state and local recruitment

UN spokesman Stephane Dujarric said the planned sanctions report “worried us,” adding that they would “keep abreast of developments” on the matter.

Washington’s Human Rights Watch director Andrea Prasow condemned the move, saying it “showed contempt for the rule of global law.”

“Countries that support international justice must openly oppose this striking obstruction effort,” Prasow said in a statement.

Bensouda requested authorization in November 2017 to open an investigation into the crime related to the conflict in Afghanistan. According to a statement from that time, Bensouda’s office “determined that there was a reasonable basis for believing” that members of the Afghan National Security Forces, the US armed forces and the CIA had committed “war crimes,” and that Taliban members had committed war crimes and crimes against humanity .

Although Bensouda’s initial request for authorization to open an inquiry was denied in April 2019, in March, the ICC Appeals Chamber decided unanimously in favor of allowing the investigation.

This story has been updated to include additional reactions.

Jamie Crawford from CNN, Casey Riddle, David Shortell, Richard Roth and James Frater contributed to this report.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

Portuguese historical films will premiere on 29 December.

Published

on

Portuguese historical films will premiere on 29 December.

Method Media Bermuda will present the documentary FABRIC: Portuguese History in Bermuda on Thursday, December 29 at the Underwater Research Institute of Bermuda.

A spokesperson said: “Method Media is proud to bring Bermuda Fabric: Portugal History to Bermuda for its 5th and 6th showing at the Bermuda Underwater Observatory. In November and December 2019, Cloth: A Portuguese Story in Bermuda had four sold-out screenings. Now that Bermuda has reopened after the pandemic, it’s time to bring the film back for at least two screenings.

“There are tickets Ptix.bm For $ 20 – sessions at 15:30 and 18:00. Both screenings will be followed by a short Q&A session.

Director and producer Milton Raboso says, “FABRIC is a definitive account of the Portuguese community in Bermuda and its 151 years of history, but it also places Bermuda, Acors and Portugal in the world history and the events that have fueled those 151 years.

“It took more than 10 years to implement FABRIC. The film was supported by the Minister of Culture, the Government of the Azores and private donors.

Bermuda Media Method [MMB] Created in 2011 by producer Milton Raposo. MMB has created content for a wide range of clients: Bermuda’s new hospital renovation, reinsurance, travel campaigns, international sports and more. MMB pays special attention to artistic, cultural and historical content.

More about

#History of Bermuda #A photo #Portuguese

Model: Everybody, Entertainment, Movies/Movies, History, News

See also  Is flying safe in the middle of coronavirus? Guess what the airline said
Continue Reading

Top News

CRISTANO RONALDO CAN MAKE UP A GIANT IN CARIOCA AND PORTUGUESE TECHNICIAN SAYS ‘There will be room’

Published

on

CRISTANO RONALDO CAN MAKE UP A GIANT IN CARIOCA AND PORTUGUESE TECHNICIAN SAYS 'There will be room'

News

This is a fact or event of journalistic interest. This may be new or recent information. This also applies to the novelty of an already known situation.

Article

Mostly original text. Expresses the opinion of the author, but not necessarily the opinion of the newspaper. It can be written by journalists or specialists from different fields.

Investigative

A report that contains unknown facts or episodes with a pronounced denunciatory content. This requires special methods and resources.

Content commerce

Editorial content that offers the reader conditions for making purchases.

Analysis

This is the interpretation of the news, taking into account information that goes beyond the facts told. It uses data, brings events and scenario forecasts, as well as past contexts.

Editorial

Analytical text translating the official position of the vehicle in relation to the facts covered.

Sponsored

This is an institutional article on a topic of interest to the company sponsoring the report.

fact checking

Content that confirms the accuracy and authenticity of the disclosed information or facts.

Context

This is an article that brings subsidies, historical data and relevant information to help understand a fact or news.

special

An exciting report that details the various aspects and developments of this topic. It brings data, statistics, historical context, as well as stories of characters that are affected by or directly related to the topic in question.

Criticism

A text with detailed analysis and opinions on products, services and works of art in a wide variety of fields such as literature, music, film and visual arts.

Continue Reading

Top News

Maestro de Braga is the first Portuguese in the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba.

Published

on

Maestro de Braga is the first Portuguese in the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba.

Maestro Filipe Cunha, Artistic Director of the Philharmonic Orchestra of Braga, has been invited to conduct the Cuban National Symphony Orchestra, as announced today.

According to a statement sent by O MINHO, “he will be the first Portuguese conductor to conduct this orchestra in its entire history.”

In addition to this orchestra, the maestro will also work with the Lyceo Mozarteum de la Habana Symphony Orchestra.

The concerts will take place on 4 and 12 March 2023 at the National Theater of Cuba in Havana.

In the words of the maestro, quoted in the statement, “these will be very beautiful concerts with difficult but very complex pieces” and therefore he feels “very motivated”.

From the very beginning, Rachmaninoff’s Piano Concerto No. 2 will be performed by an Italian pianist (Luigi Borzillo), whom the maestro wants to bring to Portugal later this year. In the same concert, Mendelshon’s First Symphony will be performed.

Then, at the second concert, in the company of the Mexican clarinetist Angel Zedillo, he will perform the Louis Sfora Concerto No. 2. In this concert, the maestro also conducts Tchaikovsky’s Fifth Symphony.

“This is an international recognition of my work. An invitation that I accept with humility and great responsibility. I was surprised to learn that I would be the first Portuguese member of the Cuban National Symphony Orchestra. This is a very great honor,” the maestro said in a statement.

“I take with me the name of the city of Braga and Portugal with all the responsibility that goes with it, and I hope to do a good job there, leaving a good image and putting on great concerts. These will be very special concerts because, in addition to performing pieces that I love, especially Rachmaninov and Tchaikovsky, I will be directing two wonderful soloists who are also my friends. It will be very beautiful,” concludes Filipe Cunha.

See also  Is flying safe in the middle of coronavirus? Guess what the airline said

Continue Reading

Trending