Connect with us

Top News

Trump cannot divert military funds to the border wall, the federal appeals court said

Published

on

Trump cannot divert military funds to the border wall, the federal appeals court said

In decision 2-1The 9th US Circuit Court of Appeals said that a $ 2.5 billion Congressional transfer was circumvented, which held the authority to obtain appropriate money.

The legal battle over Defense Department funds stems from Trump’s national emergency declaration on the US-Mexico border last year. Trump extended this declaration last February, even as border arrests began to decline.

“The Executive Branch does not have an independent constitutional authority to authorize the transfer of funds,” wrote Chief Circuit Judge Sidney Thomas for the majority. “The Panel notes that the US Constitution Allocation Clause exclusively gives the wallet strength to Congress. The Panel believes that the transfer of funds violates the Allocation Clause, and therefore, violates the law.”

While Friday’s ruling was a victory for environmental groups and states challenging the use of military funds, a permanent Supreme Court, issued last year that allowed the funds to be used, remains in force today.

The American Civil Liberties Union praised Friday’s decision. “President Trump’s xenophobic walls have leveled protected land, tarnished cultural sites, and destroyed wildlife,” said Dror Ladin, staff attorney for the ACLU National Security Project. “No damage has been done, but we will return to the Supreme Court to finally stop this destructive wall.”

In his three years as president, Trump has faced a number of legal challenges over his border walls and his efforts to increase efforts with additional funding from other government accounts.

Even so, the President has been touting the progress of his border wall. The administration called Trump’s first trip in 2020 to the border this week a celebration of the completion of the 200-mile new wall system.

See also  "Favoritism? In the end, we will be able to tell if we were at the level to win.”

“My government has done more than any administration in history to secure our southern border. Our borders have never been safer,” he told officials. The government says it will build 450 miles by the end of this year.

Last summer, the Supreme Court paved the way for the Trump administration to use $ 2.5 billion from the Pentagon to build sections of the wall along the southwestern border.

The decision allows the Department of Defense money to be spent now while court battles are played out whether the government has the authority to divert funds that are not appropriate for the wall. The Supreme Court voted 5-4, along ideological lines, to allow funds to be used while appeals were appealed.

The Department of Justice and Homeland Security did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

Every Portuguese wastes 183 kg of food a year, and this is “inconceivable”.

Published

on

Every Portuguese wastes 183 kg of food a year, and this is "inconceivable".

President of the Portuguese Federation of Food Banks Against Hunger Isabelle Jonet considers food waste unacceptable and absurd, as every Portuguese wastes 183 kg of food a year.

As World Food Loss and Waste Awareness Day is celebrated, speaking at a conference on the subject in Lisbon, the official recalled statistics released by the National Statistical Institute and said the situation was “worse than expected.”

The data, official and published for the first time, refers to 2020 and shows that 1.89 million tons of food was wasted in Portugal this year, so each Portuguese wasted an average of 183.6 kilograms of food.

INE statistics show that families spend the most. The figures show that over 1.2 million tons of food was wasted by families this year, followed by catering with over 237 thousand tons, trade and distribution with 214 thousand tons, primary production with over 101 thousand tons and food . industry, about 61 thousand tons.

“We buy too much, we buy bad, we let it go bad. It is unacceptable that a third of what is produced ends up in the trash,” the official said, speaking at a debate organized by the United Movement Against Waste.

Ana Cristina Carrola of the Portuguese Environmental Protection Agency (APA), who also took part in the debate, stressed that the average amount of waste per year per inhabitant in the European Union is 173 kg, less than the 183 kg that is thrown away by the Portuguese.

“This is unthinkable in our day,” he lamented.

See also  "Favoritism? In the end, we will be able to tell if we were at the level to win.”

Continue Reading

Top News

Thanks to goals from Evanilson and Pepe, Porto beat Braga in Portuguese; Sporting wins too

Published

on

Thanks to goals from Evanilson and Pepe, Porto beat Braga in Portuguese;  Sporting wins too



Evanilson scored four goals in eight matches in the 2022/23 Portuguese Liga (Photo: MIGUEL RIOPA/AFP)

Photo: Lance!

After the draw in the last round Portuguese Championship, Porto won again. This Friday, the defending champions thrashed Braga 4-1 at the Dragau Stadium. Goals came from Evanilson, Eustaquio, Pepe and Galeno. Defender Pepe, against, got to the opponent.

Ex-Fluminense Evanilson opened the scoring in the 32nd minute of the opening stage. Eustaquio tried to make a cross and the Brazilian forward appeared on the second post to prop up his chest. Two minutes later, Pepe filed Eustaquio, who sent the ball into an empty net.

In the final stage, the Portuguese-Brazilian defender Pepe tried to cut off a low cross, but sent him into his own net. Pepe, the former Gremio who assisted, got it from Taremi after a beautiful move that extended the game in the 18th minute. In addition, the Brazilian Galeno closed the account in the north of Portugal.

– I am very happy to score again and, above all, for this victory. A match we knew would be difficult, against a strong opponent who was in good sequence, but in which we managed to impose our rhythm and win three points in front of our fans. Now it’s time to rest and get back to work, already thinking about the next challenge, which is also very important for us, – said Evanilson after the match.

SPORTING TOO WINS

Another great player to take the field this Friday is Sporting CP. In Lisbon, on José de Alvalade, the Lions beat Gil Vicente 3-1. For Rubén Amorim’s side, Morita, Pote Gonçalves and Rocinha scored. Fran Navarro scored in stoppage time.



Sporting CP are the vice-leaders of Portugal (Photo: PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)

Sporting CP are the vice-leaders of Portugal (Photo: PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)

Photo: Lance!

+The best content in your email for free. Choose your favorite Terra newsletter. Click here!

See also  European shares and Dow futures rise soon after Trump unilaterally extends jobless gains
Continue Reading

Top News

Portuguese tennis player Gonçalo Oliveira in the doubles final of the Lisbon Belém Open

Published

on

Portuguese coach praises the development of women's handball after the Iberian duel

Oliveira and Kolar defeated France’s Manuel Guinard and Venezuela’s Luis David Martínez in the semi-finals for first place in the series, in straight sets with partial scores of 6-1 and 6-2 after 58 minutes of play.

In the title match, they will take on the Ukrainian duo of Vladislav Manafov and Oleg Prikhodko, who eliminated Jivan Nedunchezhyan of India and Christopher Rungkat of Indonesia 6-4 and 6-2 in the semi-finals.

For the 27-year-old Portuguese tennis player, this will be his 31st doubles final at the ATP Challenger Tour and third at the Lisboa Belém Open after reaching the final in 2017 with compatriot Frederico Gil and champion in 2020 with Dominican Roberto Cid Subervi.

In singles, Italian Marco Cecchinato, semi-finalist of Roland Garros in 2018, beat Spaniard Carlos Taberner 7-6 (7-2) and 6-4, scheduling a meeting in the semi-final with the “Reserve” Kazakh Timofey Skatov, responsible for eliminating Frenchman Benoit Pera, in three matches, with a score of 6-4, 2-6 and 7-5.

The other semi-final of the Lisbon tournament will be discussed between Austrian Filip Mizolich, who defeated Giulio Zeppieri 6-4 today, and Frenchman Luca van Assche, the executioner of compatriot Alexander Müller, who finished seventh. parts 6-4 and 7-5.

See also  Hundreds of Sacramento-location firms shut due COVID-19, Yelp stories
Continue Reading

Trending