Connect with us

Top News

Trudeau attacked Chinese ‘political’ detention of two Canadians, when prison letters sent from Beijing were issued

Published

on

Second Canadian possibly detained in China (2018)

Trudeau spoke a few days after Michael Kovrig and Michael Spavor were officially charged with spying and handling state secrets. The two men were first arrested at the end of 2018 in the weeks after the arrest at Meng Wanzhou, chief financial officer of the Chinese technology company, Huawei, on charges brought in the United States.

“It was clear from the start that this was a political decision made by the Chinese government and we regretted it,” Trudeau told reporters in Ottawa, adding that “we did not consider” the trade between the two men with Huawei executives who were arrested. Meng Wanzhou.

“Anyone who considers weakening our values ​​or weakening the independence of our justice system does not understand the importance of our values,” he added.

His remarks came after Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian criticized Canada and the US for their comments about the case. In a regular press conference this week, Zhao said that “China’s judicial organs handle cases independently and guarantee the legal rights of Canadian citizens according to law.”

“We urge Canadian leaders to respect the rule of law and the sovereignty of Chinese justice, and stop making irresponsible statements,” he added.

Chinese officials have not revealed any evidence of the two men or information detailing their alleged crimes, but said, “clear facts and strong evidence.”

Potential for prisoner exchange?

Pressure is mounting in Canada for the Trudeau government to do something about the “two Michaels” case as it is known there.

On Tuesday, the CBC interviewed a number of legal experts who agreed that Trudeau could intervene in the Meng case if he wanted to, even though the Prime Minister had said this would undermine judicial independence.

See also  NYC schools need to have real plans to reopen in September

“The question is not whether (the Canadian government) can, the question is whether they should,” Toronto-based lawyer Brian Greenspan told the broadcaster. “The minister has the right to withdraw the authority to continue and end the extradition process, and that is entirely at the discretion of the minister of justice.”

Someone familiar with the situation told CNN last year that Canadian diplomatic efforts had so far focused on efforts to solve what was still a complex political engagement.

There is a greater geopolitical game between China and the US, where Canada is somewhat caught in the middle, the person added, and the two Canadians pay the price.

Canada’s former deputy prime minister, John Manley, who served under Liberal Prime Minister Jean Chretien in the early 2000s, previous word that he would recommend “prisoner exchanges, as simple as they seem.”

“The young men are in prison in very difficult conditions for the only reason: the actions of the Canadian government, and the Canadian government must do everything to free them,” he added. “What I fear the most is … the United States signed a trade agreement with China. And withdrew extradition requests. And Mrs Meng was immediately released. We then had no influence and they would make us wait, and we might wait years to see a second the young man returned. “

Emotional letter

Speak to the Canadian Globe and Mail on MondayBennett Kovrig, father of one of the detained men, said that “failure to act now is the same as historic betrayal.”

“China has long signaled that they are only interested in Meng’s repatriation and will soon retaliate by freeing the two Michaels,” Bennett Kovrig said. “Trudeau continues to repeat that he will not seek such an agreement. But there is no alternative.”

Earlier this week, the newspaper issue a series of letters sent by Kovrig to his wife Vina Nadjibulla.

“He wrote about the meaning of life, the meaning of suffering,” Nadjibulla told the newspaper. “In one of his letters, he actually said, ‘I now believe the meaning of life is to reduce suffering.’ “

See also  Home of the Week: A Los Feliz Tudor was restored

While poignant and reflective, Kovrig’s letters, which are censored and monitored by Chinese authorities, offer some details about his situation. Consular visits have been stopped since January due to the coronavirus pandemic.

“If there is a faint silver lining to Hell, this is this: trauma that carved the cave of psychological pain through my mind,” Kovrig wrote in a letter. “When I try to heal and heal, I find myself filling those gaps with love for you and for a life that is broad, deep and more profound and entertaining than anything I’ve ever experienced before.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

Marseille in California. ″Where the Portuguese is, there is Portugal″

Published

on

Marseille in California.  ″Where the Portuguese is, there is Portugal″

“You are the future,” President Marcelo Rebelo de Souza told a three-year-old girl dressed in traditional Portuguese clothing who came out to greet him on the podium where he spoke at Artesia Portuguese Salon. The city, located on the outskirts of Los Angeles, has not hosted the President of the Portuguese Republic since 1989. This weekend, he did it with pomp and the setting of an ornate Portuguese-American community bursting with pride.

“We have never lost the honor and responsibility of being representatives of this beautiful flag,” said Jimmy Enes, a member of Artesia DES, a Portuguese descendant, in a welcoming speech delivered in perfect Portuguese. “When we are asked who we are, we always answer”i am portuguese“and not”Portuguese-American“or ‘Portuguese American’,” he said. “That’s why we’re trying step by step to protect our heritage on the outskirts of Los Angeles, one of the greatest cities in the world.”

Continue Reading

Top News

Cristiano Ronaldo is injured by the Portuguese national team and thanks the fans for their support

Published

on

Cristiano Ronaldo is injured by the Portuguese national team and thanks the fans for their support



Cristiano Ronaldo got a cut on his nose and needed a bandage (Photo: MICHAL CIZEK / AFP)

Photo: Lance!

Gratitude. It seems that the attacker Cristiano Ronaldo shared his social media with Portuguese fans after a clash with Czech goalkeeper Vaclik. In the auction, the assailant received a cut on his face and needed a bandage to stop the bleeding.

“Great game, important team win! We remain focused on our goal. Thanks to the Portuguese public for the fantastic support,” the striker wrote on his Instagram account.

The match was marked by a great performance Portugal national team, who beat the Czech Republic 4-0 to take the lead in Nations League Group 2 with ten points with one matchday to go in the group stage of the tournament. Cristiano Ronaldo ended up losing to his team.

After the match, the leader of the Portuguese national team appreciated the result achieved on the road. “It was a very important victory and all teammates should be congratulated on the result,” commented the 37-year-old striker.

With three wins, one draw and one defeat, the Portuguese team has the best attack in their group with eleven goals scored and a net difference of nine. The team is one draw away from qualifying for the tournament series. The next match against Spain is next Tuesday in the city of Braga.

+The best content in your email for free. Choose your favorite Terra newsletter. Click here!

See also  In Aden Yemen, coronavirus mortality rates are worse than war deaths
Continue Reading

Top News

Thomas Gouveia remains the best Portuguese in the Swiss Challenge

Published

on

Thomas Gouveia remains the best Portuguese in the Swiss Challenge

Writing with Lusa

Tournament of the second European circuit.

Thomas Gouveia solidified his status as the best Portuguese in the Swiss Challenge this Saturday by finishing the penultimate day of the second European round robin in a group of 31st placed golfers.

Thomas Gouveia hit the card with 73 shots, one over par on the course, after two birdies (one under par hole) and three bogeys (one over), after making 71 shots in the previous two days for a total of 215.

Thomas Bessa needed 75 hits, three over par and tied for scarecrows, he finished 48th with 218 total, five short of Vitor Lopez, 60th with 223, after today needs 78, with just one bird . to fit five scarecrows and a double scarecrow.

The Swiss Challenge, which concludes on Sunday in Folgensburg, France, is still led by France’s Chung Veon Ko with a total of 206 shots, one short of Denmark’s Martin Simonsen in second place.

See also  NYC schools need to have real plans to reopen in September
Continue Reading

Trending