Connect with us

Top News

This man protected dozens of protesters at his home in Washington, DC, to protect them from arrest

Published

on

Why this 'sick to my stomach' quote proves exactly what is wrong with the Trump White House
Mayor Muriel Bowser ordered 7 pm to 6 am curfew the entire city on Monday in response to the sometimes violent protest against police brutality after George Floyd’s death last week in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

A protester told CNN that crowds marched away from the White House on Monday night and ended up in a residential neighborhood where they were surrounded by police.

The protesters, who asked to be identified only as Meka, told CNN that the protest was peaceful and people were just trying to figure out what to do.

“I think someone gave an order, and they just pushed us, sprayed a club, trampled on people, and that’s when everyone started to panic,” said the 22-year senior college.

He looked around and saw his friend running up the stairs to the nearest house and a man waved to enter.

“I just ran towards the stairs and ran up the stairs and just started to get in as fast as possible,” said Meka. “At the moment, I don’t know if it’s the right decision, but I think it’s right.”
He said he looked out the window and saw more police officers than he could count and many people were arrested outside.

Metropolitan Police Department chief Peter Newsham said on Tuesday that no protesters in the house were arrested and that officers “continued to communicate with the owner of the house throughout the night.”

Newsham said 300 people were arrested Monday night, including 194 in the area around Rahul Dubey’s home.

Dubey told me CNN WJLA affiliation that he was on the veranda and had let several protesters fill their phones inside and use his bathroom before the police entered. , and I describe it as a ‘human tsunami’ that is the best I can see for about a quarter of a block down the road, “he told WJLA.

He said he shouted “enter, enter the house” for about 10 minutes.
Dubey told WJLA that around 70 protesters entered and it was “chaos and chaos” for about an hour and a half when they tried to settle down and help people who had pepper sprayed.

See also  Portuguese Ch'ti brings the village back to life

CNN hasn’t been able to contact Dubey to comment.

Meka told CNN that he could not sleep on Monday night and the police tried several times to get the protesters out.

He said that at one time Dubey could get pizza and some members of the community also brought food.

Becca Thimmesch lives about two blocks away from Dubey and says he and three other people remained on the veranda overnight to observe police activity and check with protesters.

He said they also work to arrange trips to bring young children home once the curfew is lifted.

“Then around five o’clock, with an hour to go, community members began to appear left and right carrying food and water and cleaning their hands and cars and offering to bring people in,” said Thimmesch.

He said they had more volunteers than they needed when the protesters came out, so many of them stayed behind and helped clean up.

Earlier on Monday, authorities used rubber bullets and tear gas to clear protesters from Lafayette Park so President Trump could visit St. Episcopal Church John

Thimmesch said he saw several residents on the street letting protesters enter their home.

“There is currently a global pandemic, and we have been told, ‘don’t leave people in your home, don’t share space with people,'” he said. “And you know, these random people make what I consider to be a great sacrifice, to try and guarantee the safety of young people they don’t know about.”

Dubey told WJLA that he considered the family of the protesters young and that he was relieved to get texts and messages that they were all safe at home.

See also  Asian markets fall after grim U.S. GDP data

“I hope my 13-year-old son grows to be as amazing as they are,” he said.

“I hope they continue to fight and I hope they go there today peacefully, like they did yesterday, and don’t blink because our country needs them, and needs you and everyone more than ever now.”

Lauren Koenig from CNN contributed to this story.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

Thiago Monteiro in 14th and 15th before the arrival of the WTCR in Portugal – Observer

Published

on

Thiago Monteiro in 14th and 15th before the arrival of the WTCR in Portugal - Observer

Portuguese driver Thiago Monteiro (Honda) finished 14th and 15th this Sunday in the two World Touring Car Cup (WTCR) races held in Aragon, Spain, which precede the Vila Real race.

The Portuguese rider always rode in the tail, he was hindered by the fact that Honda had more excess weight than his rivals.

“If they told me that I would be in this position, I would not believe it. But the reality is that we have not been able to withstand a number of adversities. From the moment when the pace is much lower than other rivals, we are prepared in advance. It’s heartbreaking,” the Portuguese rider began his explanation after the fourth round of the championship.

The Portuguese rider struggled to find the best balance in his Civic, as did his teammate, Hungarian Attila Tassi.

THE PUB • CONTINUE TO READ BELOW

“We still had problems, and we could not reach the full potential of the car. It was very difficult, unpleasant and discouraging, especially since we are going to Vila Real and this scenario does not suit me. But we will have to continue to look for our own path and believe that everything will work out, ”Thiago Monteiro concluded.

Belgian Giles Magnus (Audi) and Spaniard Mikel Ascona (Hyundai) won both races on Sunday.

Ascona leads the league with 129 points, while Thiago Monteiro is 16th with 12 points.

The WTCR competition in Portugal will take place next weekend in Vila Real.

Continue Reading

Top News

Joao Almeida became the champion of Portugal in cycling

Published

on

Joao Almeida became the champion of Portugal in cycling

This Sunday, Portuguese cyclist João Almeida (UAE-Emirates) became the Portuguese champion in cross-country cycling for the first time, winning the elite national championships held in Mogaduro.

In his first online race since Joao Almeida was forced to pull out of the Vuelta Italia after testing positive for the coronavirus, he won his first national title since becoming time trial champion in 2021.

Almeida crossed the finish line in Mogadora, covering the 167.5 km distance in 4:08.42 hours, 52 seconds behind Thiago Antunes (Efapel) second, Fabio Costa (Glassdrive-Q8-Anicolor) third, and Rui Oliveira (UAE). – Emirates), fourth.

In the end, João Almeida stated that he was “very pleased” with the victory, admitting that the race “went very well” and thanking his teammates.

Former national champion José Neves (W52-FC Porto) did not finish the race, as did Rafael Reis (Glassdrive-Q8-Anicolor) who won the time trial title on Friday.

See also  Portuguese Ch'ti brings the village back to life
Continue Reading

Top News

Portuguese military admits ‘it will take time’ until territory is taken under control

Published

on

Portuguese military admits 'it will take time' until territory is taken under control

The “path” chosen for about a year in the fight against rebel groups in the province of Cabo Delgado in northern Mozambique is “the right one,” Brigadier General Nuno Lemos Pires said in an interview with Lusa.

“Now, while the situation is not fully under control, we all understand that, as in any other counter-terrorism situation in the world, it will take a lot of time,” added the head of the European military training mission, although he acknowledged that this “ does not mean that sometimes there are no fears and failures.

However, “this is part of what constitutes an action taken against terrorists who operate in a very wide area, who in themselves have the initiative and the ability to hide in a very wide area,” he said.

In fact, he stressed, many of the recent attacks that have taken place in the south of Cabo Delgado in recent weeks are due to the fact that Islamist extremist rebels had to “flight from the north” of the province.

“Because this was a consolidated military operation carried out in close cooperation between the Mozambique Defense and Security Forces (FSS), [e com as forças d]Rwanda and SAMIM (Southern African Development Community Mission (SADC) in Mozambique), who were clearing out the intervention areas that existed in the area, the reaction of many terrorists was to flee the area, go further south, where they were not pursued. , and make new attacks,” he explained.

“In such cases, the initiative almost always belongs to the terrorists. There are few of them, they hide among the population, they move over very large territories, with a lot of dense vegetation, it becomes very difficult to find them, but you can easily move,” he continued.

See also  Portuguese Ch'ti brings the village back to life

On the other hand, the Portuguese general emphasized, “it is now difficult for these groups” “to concentrate power and forces for large-scale operations, as was the case three years ago during the conquests, such as Mocimboa da Praia or Palma.” ,” he said.

“They don’t have that ability. Many of these attacks even demonstrate [estratégias] survival [clássicas das guerrilhas]. They’re looking for food, they’re looking for supplies, they’re searching deep down for a place where they can survive, because the area is already under quite a lot of control. [por parte] Mozambique FSS, Rwandan forces and SAMIM,” he explained.

In this context, Nuno Lemos Pires highlighted the “quick response” of the Mozambican authorities to each of these developments, starting with head of state Filipe Nyusi.

“I think it is exemplary that the moment there is a movement or a series of significant attacks in other areas, we immediately see the President of Mozambique heading north, linking up with his Chief of the General Staff of the Armed Forces (CEMGFA). , with the Minister of Defense, with the Minister of the Interior, and outline plans on the ground for a quick change of equipment and the ability to respond to such movements,” he said.

During one such trip to northern Mozambique in mid-June, Mozambican Interior Minister Arsenia Massingue said that Mozambican police were informing the “enemy” – the rebel forces in Cabo Delgado – about the positions of the FDS and allied forces on the ground.

However, Lemos Pires downplayed the situation. “We must be aware that there are infiltrations in any political system. It’s happening everywhere. Ignoring this dimension is tantamount to ignoring what is happening everywhere,” he said.

See also  Reopening Coronavirus: Grove, Americana mall getting ready

“I don’t know of a single case of insurgency, counterinsurgency, terrorist or counter-terrorist combat where these leaks didn’t happen frequently. You need to be careful. .

In addition to the vastness of the territory that has been the scene of conflict and the topography favorable to insurgent guerrilla strategies, the porous borders with Tanzania to the north of Cabo Delgado and Malawi to the northwest also pose a danger. challenges the SDF and allied forces of SAMIM and Rwanda.

Lemos Pires also relativized this question. “We are talking about transnational terrorism, and it is good to understand that the situation in the north of Mozambique, in Cabo Delgado, is not limited and is not limited – and has never been limited – exclusively and exclusively to this region. A phenomenon that exists throughout Africa. , namely in Central Africa,” he said.

The UETM commander even took advantage of this circumstance to formulate an “extended response” to “a broad problem, a regional one, and the solution must also be a broad regional one.”

Therefore, “it’s very good what we see here on the ground, in fact, this is the unification of the efforts of regional African forces to try to deal with a problem that really worries everyone,” he concluded.

“What happens in one region can affect another. That is why it is in everyone’s interest that these groups be fought, detained and that the narrative that they are currently spreading can be counteracted – we hope that there are fewer and fewer successes,” the Portuguese general stressed.

NPS // PYAA

See also  JetBlue leaves Long Beach Airport, moving operations to LAX

Lusa/The End

Continue Reading

Trending