Connect with us

Top News

The unemployment rate fell to 13.3% in May amid a decline in coronavirus

Published

on

April unemployment rate in California 15.5%; 2.3 million jobs lost

The government reported on Friday that the unemployment rate fell to 13.3% last month after surging to 14.7% in April, an unexpected positive change that suggested a recession caused by a pandemic might have hit rock bottom.

Most analysts expect the rate to continue to rise, perhaps as high as 20%.

But on the contrary, employers also added 2.5 million jobs in May after losing 20.7 million positions in the previous month, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

“We will return and we will open our country,” President Trump said in a hastily arranged appearance on Friday at the White House Rose Garden. He urged countries to continue to loosen coronavirus restrictions.

Democrats note that the country is still suffering from the biggest unemployment crisis since the Great Depression.

“And Trump said he was happy?” said Tom Perez, chairman of the Democratic National Committee. “Families are struggling. The hospital is overwhelmed. Business has been closed forever. And Americans are dying every day – all this can be prevented. “

Unemployment and employment statistics in California for May will be released in two weeks and will likely follow the country’s rebound, largely due to a mix of industries and the fact that it is slower to lift business restrictions and restrictions. The state unemployment rate in April was 15.5%.

The increase reflects the reopening of business in many parts of the country, and it was a big surprise for analysts.

The average economist expects another loss of around 7.5 million jobs in May, according to Moody’s Analysis.

See also  Jabari Parker was seen playing tennis after a positive coronavirus test

Moody’s labor economist Sophia Koropeckyj notes that the collection rate for the survey of domestic work and salaries – from which unemployment and employment figures are derived – is lower than normal.

And government statisticians say the actual unemployment rate in May might be 3 percentage points higher because many people might have misclassified themselves by saying they are absent from work, even though they were laid off and should be counted as unemployment.

Although the report provides good news, most mainstream economists worry that the recovery will be long and slow.

“Reflection starts again earlier than expected, but don’t get too excited about this one month’s data,” said Nick Bunker, director of research at Indeed Hiring Lab. “Job growth rose by 2.5 million and the unemployment rate fell by more than a percentage point is a positive development. But it is not clear how this will last long. In addition, the labor market is still in a terrible place with jobs only 87% of the places before the coronavirus crisis began. “

No matter how quickly or fully America opens its doors to business again, many analysts say, a full recovery is expected to take at least three to five years. If a second large wave of infection occurs in the fall, as epidemiologists say in at least in some parts of the country, the prospect can become darker.

“The hole we are in is very deep,” said Heidi Shierholz, former chief economist at the US Department of Labor and now with the Institute for Economic Policy. “Even if you get a quick reflection back, it can still be bad. I think it will be long. “

See also  Black doctor said he was "scared" after the protest, coronavirus

Before Friday’s report, David Shulman, a senior UCLA economist, said he expected May to be the lowest point of the recession. “Now it looks like April is the basis,” he said.

Shulman said he and his colleagues at UCLA Anderson Forecast are now likely to revise their views, to be released June 24. Earlier he said unemployment for the country and nation was likely to remain in double digits until 2022. “That might be off the table,” he said.

At the same time, Shulman and other economists said the latest jobs report appeared to be inconsistent with government data showing more than 31 million people received unemployment benefits in May. “So do 10 million people receive salaries from employers and collect unemployment benefits as well?” asked Christopher Rupkey, chief financial economist at MUFG Bank in New York.

What’s more, last week’s national protest was just a complicated matter, with economic uncertainty created by damage to businesses and the potential increase in COVID-19 infections as a result of people leaving social distance in mass demonstrations.

Stephen Moore, a member of President Trump’s economic task force, also predicted the increasing economic suffering as a result of protests: “These riots are making a new round in all respects. That’s bad from an economic perspective. Right when the business starts to reopen and we start making a little progress – then boom! – we got hit by this. “

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

Thiago Monteiro in 14th and 15th before the arrival of the WTCR in Portugal – Observer

Published

on

Thiago Monteiro in 14th and 15th before the arrival of the WTCR in Portugal - Observer

Portuguese driver Thiago Monteiro (Honda) finished 14th and 15th this Sunday in the two World Touring Car Cup (WTCR) races held in Aragon, Spain, which precede the Vila Real race.

The Portuguese rider always rode in the tail, he was hindered by the fact that Honda had more excess weight than his rivals.

“If they told me that I would be in this position, I would not believe it. But the reality is that we have not been able to withstand a number of adversities. From the moment when the pace is much lower than other rivals, we are prepared in advance. It’s heartbreaking,” the Portuguese rider began his explanation after the fourth round of the championship.

The Portuguese rider struggled to find the best balance in his Civic, as did his teammate, Hungarian Attila Tassi.

THE PUB • CONTINUE TO READ BELOW

“We still had problems, and we could not reach the full potential of the car. It was very difficult, unpleasant and discouraging, especially since we are going to Vila Real and this scenario does not suit me. But we will have to continue to look for our own path and believe that everything will work out, ”Thiago Monteiro concluded.

Belgian Giles Magnus (Audi) and Spaniard Mikel Ascona (Hyundai) won both races on Sunday.

Ascona leads the league with 129 points, while Thiago Monteiro is 16th with 12 points.

The WTCR competition in Portugal will take place next weekend in Vila Real.

Continue Reading

Top News

Joao Almeida became the champion of Portugal in cycling

Published

on

Joao Almeida became the champion of Portugal in cycling

This Sunday, Portuguese cyclist João Almeida (UAE-Emirates) became the Portuguese champion in cross-country cycling for the first time, winning the elite national championships held in Mogaduro.

In his first online race since Joao Almeida was forced to pull out of the Vuelta Italia after testing positive for the coronavirus, he won his first national title since becoming time trial champion in 2021.

Almeida crossed the finish line in Mogadora, covering the 167.5 km distance in 4:08.42 hours, 52 seconds behind Thiago Antunes (Efapel) second, Fabio Costa (Glassdrive-Q8-Anicolor) third, and Rui Oliveira (UAE). – Emirates), fourth.

In the end, João Almeida stated that he was “very pleased” with the victory, admitting that the race “went very well” and thanking his teammates.

Former national champion José Neves (W52-FC Porto) did not finish the race, as did Rafael Reis (Glassdrive-Q8-Anicolor) who won the time trial title on Friday.

See also  Note to Joe Biden: You are not Barack Obama
Continue Reading

Top News

Portuguese military admits ‘it will take time’ until territory is taken under control

Published

on

Portuguese military admits 'it will take time' until territory is taken under control

The “path” chosen for about a year in the fight against rebel groups in the province of Cabo Delgado in northern Mozambique is “the right one,” Brigadier General Nuno Lemos Pires said in an interview with Lusa.

“Now, while the situation is not fully under control, we all understand that, as in any other counter-terrorism situation in the world, it will take a lot of time,” added the head of the European military training mission, although he acknowledged that this “ does not mean that sometimes there are no fears and failures.

However, “this is part of what constitutes an action taken against terrorists who operate in a very wide area, who in themselves have the initiative and the ability to hide in a very wide area,” he said.

In fact, he stressed, many of the recent attacks that have taken place in the south of Cabo Delgado in recent weeks are due to the fact that Islamist extremist rebels had to “flight from the north” of the province.

“Because this was a consolidated military operation carried out in close cooperation between the Mozambique Defense and Security Forces (FSS), [e com as forças d]Rwanda and SAMIM (Southern African Development Community Mission (SADC) in Mozambique), who were clearing out the intervention areas that existed in the area, the reaction of many terrorists was to flee the area, go further south, where they were not pursued. , and make new attacks,” he explained.

“In such cases, the initiative almost always belongs to the terrorists. There are few of them, they hide among the population, they move over very large territories, with a lot of dense vegetation, it becomes very difficult to find them, but you can easily move,” he continued.

See also  Black doctor said he was "scared" after the protest, coronavirus

On the other hand, the Portuguese general emphasized, “it is now difficult for these groups” “to concentrate power and forces for large-scale operations, as was the case three years ago during the conquests, such as Mocimboa da Praia or Palma.” ,” he said.

“They don’t have that ability. Many of these attacks even demonstrate [estratégias] survival [clássicas das guerrilhas]. They’re looking for food, they’re looking for supplies, they’re searching deep down for a place where they can survive, because the area is already under quite a lot of control. [por parte] Mozambique FSS, Rwandan forces and SAMIM,” he explained.

In this context, Nuno Lemos Pires highlighted the “quick response” of the Mozambican authorities to each of these developments, starting with head of state Filipe Nyusi.

“I think it is exemplary that the moment there is a movement or a series of significant attacks in other areas, we immediately see the President of Mozambique heading north, linking up with his Chief of the General Staff of the Armed Forces (CEMGFA). , with the Minister of Defense, with the Minister of the Interior, and outline plans on the ground for a quick change of equipment and the ability to respond to such movements,” he said.

During one such trip to northern Mozambique in mid-June, Mozambican Interior Minister Arsenia Massingue said that Mozambican police were informing the “enemy” – the rebel forces in Cabo Delgado – about the positions of the FDS and allied forces on the ground.

However, Lemos Pires downplayed the situation. “We must be aware that there are infiltrations in any political system. It’s happening everywhere. Ignoring this dimension is tantamount to ignoring what is happening everywhere,” he said.

See also  A #MeToo Minute Emerges for Military Ladies Soon after Soldier’s Killing

“I don’t know of a single case of insurgency, counterinsurgency, terrorist or counter-terrorist combat where these leaks didn’t happen frequently. You need to be careful. .

In addition to the vastness of the territory that has been the scene of conflict and the topography favorable to insurgent guerrilla strategies, the porous borders with Tanzania to the north of Cabo Delgado and Malawi to the northwest also pose a danger. challenges the SDF and allied forces of SAMIM and Rwanda.

Lemos Pires also relativized this question. “We are talking about transnational terrorism, and it is good to understand that the situation in the north of Mozambique, in Cabo Delgado, is not limited and is not limited – and has never been limited – exclusively and exclusively to this region. A phenomenon that exists throughout Africa. , namely in Central Africa,” he said.

The UETM commander even took advantage of this circumstance to formulate an “extended response” to “a broad problem, a regional one, and the solution must also be a broad regional one.”

Therefore, “it’s very good what we see here on the ground, in fact, this is the unification of the efforts of regional African forces to try to deal with a problem that really worries everyone,” he concluded.

“What happens in one region can affect another. That is why it is in everyone’s interest that these groups be fought, detained and that the narrative that they are currently spreading can be counteracted – we hope that there are fewer and fewer successes,” the Portuguese general stressed.

NPS // PYAA

See also  Jabari Parker was seen playing tennis after a positive coronavirus test

Lusa/The End

Continue Reading

Trending