Connect with us

Top News

The tsar yoga DOE was expelled from high school after a vote of no confidence

Published

on

Barnaby Spring, the city’s Department of Education tsar yoga and “mindfulness director” in her own style, was removed as a school principal in Brooklyn after staff gave her a motion of no confidence.

“We are all united against him,” a former staff member told The Post. “We used to describe it as being in a ditch. We fight against it. “

After a faculty uprising at EBC High School for Public Service in Bushwick, the city’s Department of Education moved Spring to the Brooklyn field office. Years later, he met Cheryl Watson-Harris, who became Chancellor Richard Carranza’s representative in 2018. A month after his promotion, he assigned Spring to his role as “the foremost mindfulness work,” DOE said. He made $ 195,000 last year.

Kripalu Lenox Massachusetts Yoga Center
Kripalu Lenox Massachusetts Yoga CenterAlamy Stock Photo

While Spring repeatedly calls himself DOE’s “attention director” in speeches and interviews with yoga media, it is not an official title, officials said.

Spring formed a partnership with the Kripalu Center for Yoga & Health in the Berkshires, where he arranged to send 30 DOE executives on a retreat. He also helped manage a $ 111,000 grant from Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams, a yoga practitioner, to train Brooklyn educators in yoga and attention.

Richard Carranza meditated with Eric Adams.
Richard Carranza meditated with Eric Adams.Indonesia

In 2011, his faculty at Bushwick Middle School made a letter to DOE officials who denounced his leadership.

NYCDOE leaders at RISE / Kripalu
NYCDOE leaders at RISE / Kripalu

“For the past three years, Mr. Spring has been devaluing and not appreciating experienced and successful teachers and staff, ignoring the academic needs of EBC students, learning disabilities, and isolating many parents and students,” he said.

See also  White Home states Trump followed CDC steerage after Atlanta mayor accuses him of breaking mask law

The staff quoted Spring 2010’s policy to ask parents to sign a letter to the school to send students who acted disrespectfully or roamed the hall.

“Apart from the guidance team’s concern that it would be dangerous for students to get out on the road without supervision during school hours, that there was no tracking system to monitor the frequency of these dismissals, and other interventions were suggested, this disciplinary step was put in place,” the letter said.

A 2011 salutator, Marco Salazar, wrote in a student publication: “My school struggles to buy textbooks, and often two or more students are allowed to share one of us. Our classrooms are so crowded that some of us have to stand, or sit at a table. “

Reached last week, Salazar recalled schooling as “understaffed.” It does not offer advanced classes in trigonometry, physics, and calculus, so he taught himself, Salazar said. A teacher pays for the Advanced Placement exam.

Spring “blames the teacher. No teacher likes it, “said Salazar, now a software engineer in Manhattan.

DOE said EBC was a school that struggled “in turnaround,” and voices of distrust contributed to the decision to remove Spring in 2011.

“There is an understanding between supervisors, Mr. Spring, and the school community that a change of leadership is needed,” officials said.

Continue Reading
Click to comment