Connect with us

Top News

The Trump administration is suing Bolton for a book dispute

Published

on

National Security Advisor John Bolton (R) listens to U.S. President Donald Trump talk to reporters during a meeting of his cabinet in the Cabinet Room at the White House February 12, 2019 in Washington, DC.

The lawsuit, filed in Washington, DC, a federal court, alleges that the 500-page manuscript plus Bolton is “full of confidential information,” and prosecutors say that Bolton has resigned from the ongoing White House inspection process for the book he had made. obliged to do as a result of the agreement.

“(Bolton) bargained with the United States as a condition of his employment in one of the most sensitive and important national security positions in the United States Government and now wants to renege on the offer by unilaterally deciding that the pre-publication review process is complete and decided on its own “whether confidential information should be published,” wrote the prosecutor.

The lawsuit marked the latest White House effort on Bolton after months of back and forth between the National Security Council and Bolton representatives as to whether the book contained classified information. Simon & Schuster previously announced that Bolton’s book, “In the Room Where It Happened: A White House Memoir,” will be released on June 23.

Bolton’s books were sent to the warehouse before the scheduled release. He has recorded an interview with ABC which is scheduled to air on Sunday. And a source close to him said he intended to publish the book as scheduled on Tuesday, which meant he expected to deal with the consequences of the administration afterwards, not before.

CNN has contacted Bolton’s lawyer for comment. In a letter sent to NSC’s legal counsel last week, Chuck Cooper, Bolton’s lawyer, accused the White House of trying to block the book for “purely political reasons,” adding that “as a practical matter, it was (late) arriving.”

See also  Dragon Quest Builders is now available for iOS and Android (in Portuguese)

The tiring back and forth between Bolton, his lawyers and the White House regarding the pre-publication review process was detailed in the lawsuit. Bolton, who left the White House in September, submitted his original draft late last year to the White House for an inspection process, and was told shortly thereafter by a senior NSC official that it contained large amounts of confidential information, including material designated as top secret.

After several face-to-face meetings and editing rounds culminating in late April, Bolton appears to have completed a pre-publication review. Ellen Knight, the official who reviewed the book, has determined that the latest version of the manuscript no longer contains confidential information, the lawsuit said.

But less than a week later, another round of reviews began at the White House, this time by Michael Ellis, NSC’s senior director of intelligence. The review came at the request of Robert O’Brien, Bolton’s successor as national security adviser, according to the lawsuit.

O’Brien “is concerned that the manuscript appears to still contain confidential information, partly because the same administration that it serves is still in the office and the manuscript illustrates sensitive information about the ongoing foreign policy issues,” the lawsuit said.

Ellis completed his review on June 9 and found that there were still some examples of confidential information in the book – because news reports illustrated Bolton’s intention to move forward with the publication of the book on June 23, even without the White House’s approval.

In a letter sent to Bolton’s lawyer on Thursday, the NSC’s legal advisor wrote that “the text still contains confidential information, because, among other things, it includes information that he himself classifies and sets out for declassification only after a lapse of twenty five years . “

See also  "There will be no social distance" at the July 4 Mount Rushmore event attended by Trump, the governor said

Trump is increasingly irritated by the notion that his former national security adviser will publish public books, sources said. He told the staff that he wanted to stop publication and reflect personally about demanding that he stop it, a tactic that the previous president relied on when former officials or people close to him had written books that he thought would be unprofitable. He has a history of filing lawsuits which he then sent down.

On Monday, Trump incorrectly stated that conversations with him were classified and signaled the possibility of legal action.

“They are in court or they will be in court soon,” Trump said. “But he understands he is not completing the process or approaching the process.”

Trump said Bolton would have “criminal problems” if the book was published as is. The lawsuit filed Tuesday was a civil suit, and did not carry criminal penalties. Initially, Attorney General William Barr did not confirm that his party was preparing a lawsuit but said the government was focused on asking Bolton to complete the cleaning process to publish the book.

“People who come to work in government and have access to sensitive information generally sign an agreement that says when they leave the government, if they write something that refers to or might reflect some of the information they have access to, they must go through a cleaning process before they can publishing a book, “Barr said on Monday. “We don’t think Bolton has gone through that process, not yet completed that process.”

In addition to the delayed publication, the government asked the court to order Bolton publishers to “take and discard” copies of any books that were distributed. They also ask for whatever money the book gets from its sale – or the sale of film rights from it – if it is published without a complete pre-publication review.

See also  The artist's rainbow house in California brings her excitement but her neighbor is charming

This is an extraordinary story and will be updated.

CNN’s Kylie Atwood and Paul LeBlanc contributed to this report.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

Portuguese historical films will premiere on 29 December.

Published

on

Portuguese historical films will premiere on 29 December.

Method Media Bermuda will present the documentary FABRIC: Portuguese History in Bermuda on Thursday, December 29 at the Underwater Research Institute of Bermuda.

A spokesperson said: “Method Media is proud to bring Bermuda Fabric: Portugal History to Bermuda for its 5th and 6th showing at the Bermuda Underwater Observatory. In November and December 2019, Cloth: A Portuguese Story in Bermuda had four sold-out screenings. Now that Bermuda has reopened after the pandemic, it’s time to bring the film back for at least two screenings.

“There are tickets Ptix.bm For $ 20 – sessions at 15:30 and 18:00. Both screenings will be followed by a short Q&A session.

Director and producer Milton Raboso says, “FABRIC is a definitive account of the Portuguese community in Bermuda and its 151 years of history, but it also places Bermuda, Acors and Portugal in the world history and the events that have fueled those 151 years.

“It took more than 10 years to implement FABRIC. The film was supported by the Minister of Culture, the Government of the Azores and private donors.

Bermuda Media Method [MMB] Created in 2011 by producer Milton Raposo. MMB has created content for a wide range of clients: Bermuda’s new hospital renovation, reinsurance, travel campaigns, international sports and more. MMB pays special attention to artistic, cultural and historical content.

More about

#History of Bermuda #A photo #Portuguese

Model: Everybody, Entertainment, Movies/Movies, History, News

Continue Reading

Top News

CRISTANO RONALDO CAN MAKE UP A GIANT IN CARIOCA AND PORTUGUESE TECHNICIAN SAYS ‘There will be room’

Published

on

CRISTANO RONALDO CAN MAKE UP A GIANT IN CARIOCA AND PORTUGUESE TECHNICIAN SAYS 'There will be room'

News

This is a fact or event of journalistic interest. This may be new or recent information. This also applies to the novelty of an already known situation.

Article

Mostly original text. Expresses the opinion of the author, but not necessarily the opinion of the newspaper. It can be written by journalists or specialists from different fields.

Investigative

A report that contains unknown facts or episodes with a pronounced denunciatory content. This requires special methods and resources.

Content commerce

Editorial content that offers the reader conditions for making purchases.

Analysis

This is the interpretation of the news, taking into account information that goes beyond the facts told. It uses data, brings events and scenario forecasts, as well as past contexts.

Editorial

Analytical text translating the official position of the vehicle in relation to the facts covered.

Sponsored

This is an institutional article on a topic of interest to the company sponsoring the report.

fact checking

Content that confirms the accuracy and authenticity of the disclosed information or facts.

Context

This is an article that brings subsidies, historical data and relevant information to help understand a fact or news.

special

An exciting report that details the various aspects and developments of this topic. It brings data, statistics, historical context, as well as stories of characters that are affected by or directly related to the topic in question.

Criticism

A text with detailed analysis and opinions on products, services and works of art in a wide variety of fields such as literature, music, film and visual arts.

Continue Reading

Top News

Maestro de Braga is the first Portuguese in the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba.

Published

on

Maestro de Braga is the first Portuguese in the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba.

Maestro Filipe Cunha, Artistic Director of the Philharmonic Orchestra of Braga, has been invited to conduct the Cuban National Symphony Orchestra, as announced today.

According to a statement sent by O MINHO, “he will be the first Portuguese conductor to conduct this orchestra in its entire history.”

In addition to this orchestra, the maestro will also work with the Lyceo Mozarteum de la Habana Symphony Orchestra.

The concerts will take place on 4 and 12 March 2023 at the National Theater of Cuba in Havana.

In the words of the maestro, quoted in the statement, “these will be very beautiful concerts with difficult but very complex pieces” and therefore he feels “very motivated”.

From the very beginning, Rachmaninoff’s Piano Concerto No. 2 will be performed by an Italian pianist (Luigi Borzillo), whom the maestro wants to bring to Portugal later this year. In the same concert, Mendelshon’s First Symphony will be performed.

Then, at the second concert, in the company of the Mexican clarinetist Angel Zedillo, he will perform the Louis Sfora Concerto No. 2. In this concert, the maestro also conducts Tchaikovsky’s Fifth Symphony.

“This is an international recognition of my work. An invitation that I accept with humility and great responsibility. I was surprised to learn that I would be the first Portuguese member of the Cuban National Symphony Orchestra. This is a very great honor,” the maestro said in a statement.

“I take with me the name of the city of Braga and Portugal with all the responsibility that goes with it, and I hope to do a good job there, leaving a good image and putting on great concerts. These will be very special concerts because, in addition to performing pieces that I love, especially Rachmaninov and Tchaikovsky, I will be directing two wonderful soloists who are also my friends. It will be very beautiful,” concludes Filipe Cunha.

See also  Screenwriter Evan Spiliotopoulos opens a page in Studio City

Continue Reading

Trending