Connect with us

Top News

The Supreme Court blocked Trump from ending the DACA

Published

on

Jeffrey Toobin explains Supreme Court decision on DACA

In writing that opinion, Roberts once again sided with the liberals on the bench in an important dispute which would anger the still-bitter judicial conservatives that he had once voted in favor of Obamacare.

The ruling stressed that the administration failed to provide sufficient reasons to justify ending the DACA program.

“We do not decide whether the DACA or its cancellation is a good policy,” Roberts wrote in the majority opinion. “The ‘wisdom’ of the decision ‘is none of our business.’ We only discuss whether the agent meets the procedural requirements given a reasonable explanation for his actions. “

This is a severe blow to the Trump administration, because immigration reform has been key to Trump’s agenda. This means that for now, participants in the program can continue to renew membership in the program offering them work permits and temporary protection from deportation.

In his first reaction to the decision, President Donald Trump resubmitted a tweet showing the dissent of Judge Clarence Thomas.

The decision was “an attempt to avoid decisions that are politically controversial but are legally correct,” Thomas wrote.

Trump also seems to have blown up the DACA decision and an opinion issued earlier this week that expanded the anti-discrimination protection for LGBTQ workers.

“These terrible and politically charged decisions that come out of the Supreme Court are shotgun blasts in the faces of people who are proud to call themselves Republicans or Conservatives,” he wrote.

Former President Barack Obama also considered the decision Indonesia Thursday morning, wrote the recipient of DACA: “Today, I am happy for them, their families, and all of us.”

“We may look different and come from everywhere, but what makes us Americans is our shared ideals,” Obama wrote, noting the program was made eight years ago this week.

RELATED: DACA with numbers

However, the Trump administration can move, once again, to try to cancel the program, but this time the government must provide a better explanation based on policy for reasons of termination.

See also  Portuguese for the love that will be there

“Today’s decision allows Dreamers to breathe temporary relief,” said Professor Stephen Yale-Loehr of Cornell Law School. “The government might try to stop the DACA program with better justification, but it will take months or years. Meanwhile, Congress must enact permanent assistance for Dreamers to end this drama forever.”

Luz Chavez, a Maryland-based DACA recipient, was on the steps of the Supreme Court when the ruling was issued Thursday.

“Now, in the end, our community won, right? We have long pushed for this. Immigrant youth is the reason why the DACA was announced and created,” Chavez told CNN. “How fun.”

Created by Obama after the congress standoff

DACA, established in 2012, is available to any undocumented immigrant who comes to the US under the age of 16, who has lived in the US since at least June 2007, is enrolled in high school or graduated and has never been convicted of certain certainty. violation.

An individual must also not pose a threat to national security or public safety. Recipients who meet the criteria become eligible for a two-year “deferred” grant from removal. They also qualify for job authorization and social security numbers. However, in return, they must provide certain identification information to the government.

After Trump came to power, Attorney General Jeff Sessions announced that the program had been made “without proper authority” and only after Congress rejected the proposed law. The following day, Elaine Duke, Secretary of Homeland Security who was acting at the time, announced it would be removed, indicating that he had “legal and constitutional defects.”

See also  Discover Portuguese Pear Varieties – Observer

A few months later, after legal challenges had been launched, Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen issued a new memo outlining more policy-based justifications to stop the program. He said, for example, that the program increased the risk of damaging public confidence in the rule of law.

The Federal Court intervened and said that the government had acted arbitrarily when removing the program illegally. The court pointed to the administration’s narrow justification – the reason Roberts and the Supreme Court finally agreed.

The administration moved aggressively asking the Supreme Court to revoke the order, and the President predicted success.

“We want to be in the Supreme Court at DACA,” Trump said. But the judges sat on the petition for months, before finally giving the certificate last season.

The plaintiff, including the University of California, a handful of states and DACA recipients argued to the Supreme Court that this termination violated the Administrative Procedure Act, a federal law governing how agents can make regulations.

Why was appointed Supreme Court Trump Neil Gorsuch only protecting LGBTQ rights

One hundred and forty-three business associations and companies submitted a brief report to support the DACA by emphasizing that its termination would endanger the economy. A short point for research from the libertarian Cato Institute which estimates that companies will face around $ 6.3 billion in fees to replace Dreamers “if they can even find new employees to fill vacant positions.”

And Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, submitted a brief report to support DACA by noting that his company employed 443 Dreamers from 25 countries and four different continents.

“We do not hire them because of goodness or charity,” Cook argues. “We did it because Dreamers embodied Apple’s innovative strategy,” he said. “They come from diverse backgrounds and display a variety of skills and experiences that equip them to tackle problems from a variety of perspectives.”

See also  Hot Property: John Lautner's private residence sells at Silver Lake

After the judge heard the argument in this case, supporters of DACA recipients also told the court that around 27,000 recipients worked on the front lines to fight Covid-19.

This story broke and will be updated.

Priscilla Alvarez and Jamie Ehrlich from CNN contributed to this report.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

Portuguese historical films will premiere on 29 December.

Published

on

Portuguese historical films will premiere on 29 December.

Method Media Bermuda will present the documentary FABRIC: Portuguese History in Bermuda on Thursday, December 29 at the Underwater Research Institute of Bermuda.

A spokesperson said: “Method Media is proud to bring Bermuda Fabric: Portugal History to Bermuda for its 5th and 6th showing at the Bermuda Underwater Observatory. In November and December 2019, Cloth: A Portuguese Story in Bermuda had four sold-out screenings. Now that Bermuda has reopened after the pandemic, it’s time to bring the film back for at least two screenings.

“There are tickets Ptix.bm For $ 20 – sessions at 15:30 and 18:00. Both screenings will be followed by a short Q&A session.

Director and producer Milton Raboso says, “FABRIC is a definitive account of the Portuguese community in Bermuda and its 151 years of history, but it also places Bermuda, Acors and Portugal in the world history and the events that have fueled those 151 years.

“It took more than 10 years to implement FABRIC. The film was supported by the Minister of Culture, the Government of the Azores and private donors.

Bermuda Media Method [MMB] Created in 2011 by producer Milton Raposo. MMB has created content for a wide range of clients: Bermuda’s new hospital renovation, reinsurance, travel campaigns, international sports and more. MMB pays special attention to artistic, cultural and historical content.

More about

#History of Bermuda #A photo #Portuguese

Model: Everybody, Entertainment, Movies/Movies, History, News

See also  Discover Portuguese Pear Varieties – Observer
Continue Reading

Top News

CRISTANO RONALDO CAN MAKE UP A GIANT IN CARIOCA AND PORTUGUESE TECHNICIAN SAYS ‘There will be room’

Published

on

CRISTANO RONALDO CAN MAKE UP A GIANT IN CARIOCA AND PORTUGUESE TECHNICIAN SAYS 'There will be room'

News

This is a fact or event of journalistic interest. This may be new or recent information. This also applies to the novelty of an already known situation.

Article

Mostly original text. Expresses the opinion of the author, but not necessarily the opinion of the newspaper. It can be written by journalists or specialists from different fields.

Investigative

A report that contains unknown facts or episodes with a pronounced denunciatory content. This requires special methods and resources.

Content commerce

Editorial content that offers the reader conditions for making purchases.

Analysis

This is the interpretation of the news, taking into account information that goes beyond the facts told. It uses data, brings events and scenario forecasts, as well as past contexts.

Editorial

Analytical text translating the official position of the vehicle in relation to the facts covered.

Sponsored

This is an institutional article on a topic of interest to the company sponsoring the report.

fact checking

Content that confirms the accuracy and authenticity of the disclosed information or facts.

Context

This is an article that brings subsidies, historical data and relevant information to help understand a fact or news.

special

An exciting report that details the various aspects and developments of this topic. It brings data, statistics, historical context, as well as stories of characters that are affected by or directly related to the topic in question.

Criticism

A text with detailed analysis and opinions on products, services and works of art in a wide variety of fields such as literature, music, film and visual arts.

Continue Reading

Top News

Maestro de Braga is the first Portuguese in the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba.

Published

on

Maestro de Braga is the first Portuguese in the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba.

Maestro Filipe Cunha, Artistic Director of the Philharmonic Orchestra of Braga, has been invited to conduct the Cuban National Symphony Orchestra, as announced today.

According to a statement sent by O MINHO, “he will be the first Portuguese conductor to conduct this orchestra in its entire history.”

In addition to this orchestra, the maestro will also work with the Lyceo Mozarteum de la Habana Symphony Orchestra.

The concerts will take place on 4 and 12 March 2023 at the National Theater of Cuba in Havana.

In the words of the maestro, quoted in the statement, “these will be very beautiful concerts with difficult but very complex pieces” and therefore he feels “very motivated”.

From the very beginning, Rachmaninoff’s Piano Concerto No. 2 will be performed by an Italian pianist (Luigi Borzillo), whom the maestro wants to bring to Portugal later this year. In the same concert, Mendelshon’s First Symphony will be performed.

Then, at the second concert, in the company of the Mexican clarinetist Angel Zedillo, he will perform the Louis Sfora Concerto No. 2. In this concert, the maestro also conducts Tchaikovsky’s Fifth Symphony.

“This is an international recognition of my work. An invitation that I accept with humility and great responsibility. I was surprised to learn that I would be the first Portuguese member of the Cuban National Symphony Orchestra. This is a very great honor,” the maestro said in a statement.

“I take with me the name of the city of Braga and Portugal with all the responsibility that goes with it, and I hope to do a good job there, leaving a good image and putting on great concerts. These will be very special concerts because, in addition to performing pieces that I love, especially Rachmaninov and Tchaikovsky, I will be directing two wonderful soloists who are also my friends. It will be very beautiful,” concludes Filipe Cunha.

See also  Coronavirus pandemic could be above in two a long time - WHO head

Continue Reading

Trending