Connect with us

Top News

The NYC business wanted to enter Phase Two, but was confused by de Blasio

Published

on

The NYC business wanted to enter Phase Two, but was confused by de Blasio

Confusion is rampant when the Big Apple business is trying to open under Phase Two as soon as next week wrestling with unclear guidance from Mayor Bill de Blasio – and whether they will be able to survive in a world affected by the corona virus.

“The State of New York came out with a few guidelines, but does the city follow that or does it have its own guidelines?” asked James O’Brien, co-owner of the Brooklyn Popina restaurant, Wednesday.

“It’s not that I just sit back and relax [city] the website is looking for a guide every day, I’m here working to save this business, “Cobble Hill restaurant owner told The Post.

Governor Andrew Cuomo said on Wednesday that New York City was on the right track to enter Phase Two of the state’s four phase reopening plan next Monday, but de Blasio was still not committed to that date and continued to say only that the meal plan out of town will come “soon.”

Rita Ragone, a celebrity beauty expert who operates a Midtown hair salon that can eventually be reopened for business in Phase Two, complains, “When the governor and mayor don’t see firsthand the reopening date for the service industry such as a salon … it really becomes a frustrating problem for us . business and livelihood.

“So many who hang in balance decide to open or leave New York City forever. But for those of us who are willing and more than ready to open, we can’t order, can’t re-employ employees, and our business plan is in limbo, “Ragone said.” That’s just ridiculous. “

Restaurants and bars can be opened for outdoor dining under Phase Two, as well as office space, real estate services, in-store retail, barber salons and hair salons, car dealers and houses of worship – all with limited capacity.

See also  Attempts to reach out to homeless MTA failed, the inspector general found

“It’s frustrating because we can’t really prepare,” said Victor Ortega, co-owner of Black Iron Burger, who owns two outposts – one in Midtown and the other in Park’s Slope Brooklyn, where the mayor has two houses.

Andrew Rigie, head of the NYC Hospitality Alliance, told The Post, “There is tremendous uncertainty and even despair among many restaurant owners who can no longer manage financial burdens because they are closed by the government.”

“Getting outdoor dining requirements launched as soon as possible so they can plan is very important, but small business owners also need to know when they will be allowed to open so they can plan and start bringing some money into their business,” Rigie added.

De Blasio had previously said the Big Apple restaurant would be able to temporarily make a seat on the sidewalk, in the parking lot and on the open streets during Phase Two – and had said that the city would identify new open streets on commercial strips with a large number of restaurants and bars – but still haven’t revealed the location of the streets.

Abi Yavuz, 41, owner and manager of Verde, a restaurant on Smith Street in Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn said that Smith Street, known as Brooklyn’s Restaurant Row, is a natural contender for turning into an open road.

“From Union Street to Atlantic Avenue, there are 80 percent of restaurants,” Yavuz said, explaining that four tables he could only put six feet away in the backyard of his restaurant would not be enough.

“Nobody can make money,” he said.

See also  Fernando Pimenta wants to "reinforce" his international medalist at the World Championships - Observer

With more space to lay tables, Yavuz said he could serve up to 40 people, not just a maximum of 16 people in the restaurant’s backyard.

“At least if we have outside seating in front of the restaurant I can put 10 tables for four, which means 40 people, so I will not lose 60, 70 percent of the business,” he said.

The de Blasio administration says that one of the 26,000 Big Apple restaurants can utilize roadside seating as long as they comply with city guidelines and register online through the self-certification process.

Stephen Elkins, owner of Forest Hills Station House, a bar in Forest Hills, Queens, said that the “uncertainty” around the reopening process was “extraordinary.”

“It’s terrible just trying to find a way to do business. I don’t understand why the mayor doesn’t want to use stamps [the Phase Two date], “Elkins said, adding that businesses in watering holes had dropped 75 percent.

“I am only excited for Phase Two because it makes us closer to Phase Three when we can have a crowd in a 50 percent capacity room.”

Those in the real estate industry are just as excited.

“We are ready for this because it has opened up in our markets in California, Texas and Florida. We are ready for it, we are queuing for everything we need to do,” said Douglas Elliman president Scott Durkin.

“It would be great if the state and local governments in New York would decide that we would reopen on Monday,” Durkin said, noting that the city’s real estate world was ready to boom.

See also  World wide report: US Democrats urged to skip convention as Covid-19 scenarios surge | Coronavirus outbreak

“Among our agents who are ready and try a little to get back to work, they are encouraged by their buyers and sellers to return to work because everyone has needs,” he said. “We have never seen a hidden demand like this.”

Retail stores also can’t wait to welcome customers back.

Arthur Lee, a manager at The Gold Standard, a jewelry and pawnshop in Forest Hills, Queens, said, “A large part of our business is helping people who need cash, and I love dealing with them more personally. and respectful ways, where there are fewer obstacles. “

He hopes the city will move to Phase Two on Monday so he can really allow customers to shop to try jewelry too.

Lee claimed that the mayor “wasn’t committed to many things, and when he did it was usually the wrong choice.”

“I don’t think in the end he will agree on Monday. I think he will push it to the first week of July. But we will see. We watch, “Lee said.

Linda Pagan, owner of The Hat Shop in Soho, echoed those words about de Blasio, saying, “He doesn’t seem to take decisive action. This can be frustrating. “

“I just want to do it the right way, in an organized way, so we can put it behind us and then go back to business,” Pagan said.

Additional reporting by Lia Eustachewich

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

Portuguese historical films will premiere on 29 December.

Published

on

Portuguese historical films will premiere on 29 December.

Method Media Bermuda will present the documentary FABRIC: Portuguese History in Bermuda on Thursday, December 29 at the Underwater Research Institute of Bermuda.

A spokesperson said: “Method Media is proud to bring Bermuda Fabric: Portugal History to Bermuda for its 5th and 6th showing at the Bermuda Underwater Observatory. In November and December 2019, Cloth: A Portuguese Story in Bermuda had four sold-out screenings. Now that Bermuda has reopened after the pandemic, it’s time to bring the film back for at least two screenings.

“There are tickets Ptix.bm For $ 20 – sessions at 15:30 and 18:00. Both screenings will be followed by a short Q&A session.

Director and producer Milton Raboso says, “FABRIC is a definitive account of the Portuguese community in Bermuda and its 151 years of history, but it also places Bermuda, Acors and Portugal in the world history and the events that have fueled those 151 years.

“It took more than 10 years to implement FABRIC. The film was supported by the Minister of Culture, the Government of the Azores and private donors.

Bermuda Media Method [MMB] Created in 2011 by producer Milton Raposo. MMB has created content for a wide range of clients: Bermuda’s new hospital renovation, reinsurance, travel campaigns, international sports and more. MMB pays special attention to artistic, cultural and historical content.

More about

#History of Bermuda #A photo #Portuguese

Model: Everybody, Entertainment, Movies/Movies, History, News

See also  A BOLA - Sporting without wildcards, FC Porto is the only Portuguese club in the championship (handball).
Continue Reading

Top News

CRISTANO RONALDO CAN MAKE UP A GIANT IN CARIOCA AND PORTUGUESE TECHNICIAN SAYS ‘There will be room’

Published

on

CRISTANO RONALDO CAN MAKE UP A GIANT IN CARIOCA AND PORTUGUESE TECHNICIAN SAYS 'There will be room'

News

This is a fact or event of journalistic interest. This may be new or recent information. This also applies to the novelty of an already known situation.

Article

Mostly original text. Expresses the opinion of the author, but not necessarily the opinion of the newspaper. It can be written by journalists or specialists from different fields.

Investigative

A report that contains unknown facts or episodes with a pronounced denunciatory content. This requires special methods and resources.

Content commerce

Editorial content that offers the reader conditions for making purchases.

Analysis

This is the interpretation of the news, taking into account information that goes beyond the facts told. It uses data, brings events and scenario forecasts, as well as past contexts.

Editorial

Analytical text translating the official position of the vehicle in relation to the facts covered.

Sponsored

This is an institutional article on a topic of interest to the company sponsoring the report.

fact checking

Content that confirms the accuracy and authenticity of the disclosed information or facts.

Context

This is an article that brings subsidies, historical data and relevant information to help understand a fact or news.

special

An exciting report that details the various aspects and developments of this topic. It brings data, statistics, historical context, as well as stories of characters that are affected by or directly related to the topic in question.

Criticism

A text with detailed analysis and opinions on products, services and works of art in a wide variety of fields such as literature, music, film and visual arts.

Continue Reading

Top News

Maestro de Braga is the first Portuguese in the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba.

Published

on

Maestro de Braga is the first Portuguese in the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba.

Maestro Filipe Cunha, Artistic Director of the Philharmonic Orchestra of Braga, has been invited to conduct the Cuban National Symphony Orchestra, as announced today.

According to a statement sent by O MINHO, “he will be the first Portuguese conductor to conduct this orchestra in its entire history.”

In addition to this orchestra, the maestro will also work with the Lyceo Mozarteum de la Habana Symphony Orchestra.

The concerts will take place on 4 and 12 March 2023 at the National Theater of Cuba in Havana.

In the words of the maestro, quoted in the statement, “these will be very beautiful concerts with difficult but very complex pieces” and therefore he feels “very motivated”.

From the very beginning, Rachmaninoff’s Piano Concerto No. 2 will be performed by an Italian pianist (Luigi Borzillo), whom the maestro wants to bring to Portugal later this year. In the same concert, Mendelshon’s First Symphony will be performed.

Then, at the second concert, in the company of the Mexican clarinetist Angel Zedillo, he will perform the Louis Sfora Concerto No. 2. In this concert, the maestro also conducts Tchaikovsky’s Fifth Symphony.

“This is an international recognition of my work. An invitation that I accept with humility and great responsibility. I was surprised to learn that I would be the first Portuguese member of the Cuban National Symphony Orchestra. This is a very great honor,” the maestro said in a statement.

“I take with me the name of the city of Braga and Portugal with all the responsibility that goes with it, and I hope to do a good job there, leaving a good image and putting on great concerts. These will be very special concerts because, in addition to performing pieces that I love, especially Rachmaninov and Tchaikovsky, I will be directing two wonderful soloists who are also my friends. It will be very beautiful,” concludes Filipe Cunha.

See also  A BOLA - Sporting without wildcards, FC Porto is the only Portuguese club in the championship (handball).

Continue Reading

Trending