Connect with us

Top News

The mattress business bounces back after coronavirus locking is over

Published

on

The mattress business bounces back after coronavirus locking is over

The US mattress business has bounced back after months of shutdown from the coronavirus pandemic driving customers away.

Sales at Holder Mattress Co. rose about 30 percent last month, compared to a year ago, after the company began letting people return to two stores in northern Indiana, said Lauren Taylor, president and grandson of the company’s founder.

“There are a lot of hidden requests” for beds, he said, “or people see spending money at home, because they can’t spend it on things like holidays.”

Holder is one of several small businesses tracked by Reuters through this decline and recent recovery. Millions of small businesses in the US face an uncertain future after the new coronavirus pandemic closed shops, restaurants, schools and traveling in the world’s largest consumer economy.

Taylor said the company had adapted to rules and boundaries he had never imagined before the crisis. When he first reopened a month ago, for example, Taylor asked customers to make an appointment to shop, so they could control who was in the store and clean the surface between each shopper.

Indiana moves into the fourth phase of reopening on Friday, when retail stores can operate at full capacity. Taylor said that he would allow many buyers at the time, adding “we will not turn anyone away.”

Another important part of his business, home delivery, still faces limitations. To limit the potential exposure for his workers, for example, he requires the buyer to have only one person at home who is related to the shipping crew, and for that person to fill out a health questionnaire beforehand.

See also  Portuguese Champion Contenders: See List

Last month’s strong sale was a bright spot for Taylor, but he is still nervous about the coming months.

The company received more than $ 100,000 from the Payroll Protection Program, a federal program aimed at keeping people employed during closure. Taylor has never laid off any of his nine employees.

Taylor said PPP funds would run out this week and he was sure he would get a loan that was forgiven by handing over detailed records of how he had spent the money. The program stipulates that most, but not all, of the funds are used to keep workers working. “We have documented more than needed,” he said, adding the spread sheet he received from his bank did not require details of the expenditure he had collected.

He was also approved for the $ 282,600 Economic Disaster Loan. It was a 30-year loan with an interest rate of 3.75 percent, which he said would provide an important buffer for his company.

The biggest surprise so far has been the attitude of customers about masks, he said.

Customers at their store in Carmel, Ind., A suburb of Indianapolis, with a population of 95,000, were happy to wear face masks, he said, while many customers at the Kokomo store, India, balked. Kokomo is 58,000 population, a blue-collar city.

With the country’s new reopening guidelines, that will no longer be a problem, Taylor said. “Masks will change from being suggested to be optional – we will no longer pressure people to wear them,” he said, although staff will continue to be disguised for the near term.

See also  LeBron James calls Laura Ingraham for defending Drew Brees

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

Portuguese traveling the world on a minimoto will meet Ramos Horta on Timor – Observer

Published

on

Portuguese traveling the world on a minimoto will meet Ramos Horta on Timor – Observer

The young Portuguese, who has been traveling the world on a mini-motorcycle since 2020, will arrive in Timor-Leste on Monday and meet with the country’s president, the motorcyclist said on Wednesday.

With a residence in Oliveira de Azemeis, in the Aveiro region, and starting his journey in Avis, in Portalegre, André Souza left Portugal on July 12, 2020 to try for a world record, and since then he has driven over 55,000 kilometers through 40 countries, always on a Honda Monkey 125 with nine horses and a height of 70 centimeters.

The 26-year-old is currently based in Darwin, Australia, and it was there that he met two United Nations lawyers who, after working for several years in Timor and personal with Jose Ramos Hortarecognized in the Portuguese trip the type of gamble that would have interested the current president of Timor, the 1996 Nobel Peace Prize laureate.

This friendly couple took care of everything, connected us, and now it was agreed with Ramos Horta’s adviser that I would meet with the president on August 23, although without a motorcycle, which leaves Australia only by boat on the 24th and will not be. arrive on time to appear in the photo,” says Andre Souza Luce from Darwin.

THE PUB • CONTINUE TO READ BELOW

The absence of a car at an official meeting does not prevent the motorcyclist from admitting with satisfaction: “Once I realized that I could drive Timor, it became a dream. I wanted to get to know the country that was a former Portuguese colony, and especially I wanted to get to know Ramos Horta for everything he did for the independence of this land.”

See also  Mark Cuban tried to recruit Michael Jordan to Mavericks when they first met

Initiallypassage through Timor was not planned in the Ride That Monkey project, but became part of the scenario when the direction of the trip had to be changed to get around the fact that in mid-2020 most international borders were still closed or severe mobility restrictions were imposed due to Covid-19.

The idea was to go directly from Europe to Asia, but I had to change the direction of travel and start from America. That is why now, being in Australia and so close to Timor, I decided to go there and through Indonesia before heading to Malaysia and Thailand, ”explains the Portuguese.

Myanmar, India, Pakistan, Iran, Turkey and “some countries in North Africa” ​​are the next destinations, so travel effectively cross “all the continents of the globe” before returning to Portugal scheduled for May or June 2023.

Meanwhile in Darwin, Andre Sousa continues to recover from injuries sustained in his back after he was hit by a truck in California, USA, which left him there for two months. The problem was alleviated with physical therapy and required regular medication, but the pain worsened in Australia after several days of consecutive desert crossings between Cairns and Darwin, covering a total of 2,500 kilometers.

A young Portuguese man traveling the world on a mini-motorcycle is injured in the US.

I had to lie in bed for a week, completely motionless, and now I am accompanied by a chiropractor who has already offered me three consultations for $ 110 each as support for the project,” emphasizes Andre Souza.

The motorcyclist also notes that the trip turned out to be “much more expensive than expected”, due to the difficulties associated with the pandemic and unforeseen health problems. The accident in the United States, for example, involved two months of commercial residence in the Beverly Hills area, where “the simplest hamburger cost at least 10 euros” and, just to transport a motorcycle and driver from Santiago de Chile to Sydney, “the cost was 6000”, in addition to the cost of “a number of documents” that the Australian authorities require when crossing from Darwin to Timor.

See also  New Orleans shuts down bars, yet again, and bans go cups at restaurants amid coronavirus uptick | Coronavirus

Facing these and other budget changes was only possible thanks to the sponsors of the project and the “donations and support of many different people from all over the world” – as in the case of a Portuguese family that this week welcomes André Sousa to Darwin and 40 subscribers from different countries who donated 50 or 100 euros in exchange for having their name engraved on the minimoto’s fuel tank.

In the next stages of the journey through Asia and Africa, “there will be even more bureaucracy”, but in order to reduce the cost of accommodation and food, the young man will strive to circulate through areas where Portuguese emigrants live what they can get. André Sousa admits that he was welcomed mostly by foreigners, but he does not hide his preference: “I always like to stay with the Portuguese. They do everything they can to help me and make my life easier, and when we’re together, it’s like coming home for a while.”

Continue Reading

Top News

″We are not at the time when the Portuguese come here and discover football″

Published

on

″We are not at the time when the Portuguese come here and discover football″

The writing

Abel Ferreira has already earned some criticism from Cookie, and now the tone has especially risen after a conference with Atlético Goianiense coach Jorginho.

In Brazil, they continue to discuss Abel’s trip to the locker room in the quarter-final match against Libertadores. Jorginho, the coach of Atlético Goianiense, who has already criticized the Portuguese coach, explained what would happen if the Brazilian team’s technical leader showed the same behavior.

“If a Brazilian coach went into the dressing room to listen to music during a penalty kick, he would be called a coward. But when he wins, nothing happens, everything is right,” he said in press statements.

Jorginho raised his tone and delivered a more general criticism of the Portuguese coach, recalling that football had already been invented in Brazil and that the reigning two-time South American champion had a tougher job ahead of him.

“Abel is a very good coach, period. The question of his abilities is not discussed. It is discussed, especially in this situation, that he did not discover football. football! What happened to Jorge Jesus was extraordinary, what happens to Abel too, but that’s because they have a team like Flamengo and Palmeiras. I want to see him do what he does here at Atlético Goianiense. Come here to become the champion of Brazil,” he explained.

See also  Portuguese organized group involved in Guimarães riots confirms MAI

Continue Reading

Top News

Francisco J. Marques: “It seems that the evil of Portuguese football is the behavior of the FC Porto bank…” – FC Porto

Published

on

Francisco J. Marques: "It seems that the evil of Portuguese football is the behavior of the FC Porto bank..." - FC Porto



Dragons Communications Director Thinks Judges Are Overzealous

Francisco J. Márquez once again criticized the strict actions of the refereeing teams against the FC Porto bank, especially Sergio Conceição, citing as an example what happened in Wiesel compared to what happened in Casa Pia Benfica. The Communications Director of FC Porto considered it an exaggeration how the referees penalize the banks. “The strange thing is what is happening, it seems that the evil of Portuguese football is the behavior of the banks, especially FC Porto. It’s a bit strange that after two days of announcing the new recommendation, this so-called zero tolerance is limited to the Porto FC bench, when in the Casa Pia Benfica game we saw the reaction of the Benfica bench. I think it’s nothing to worry about, it’s normal in any championship, but with zero tolerance for these people should be warned. In the case of a yellow card, Sergio Conceição in Wiesel, the rules were strictly observed because he left the technical area, one can warn with a yellow card, but how many times the coaches leave the technical area “Jorge Jesus played on touch line as if he were a full back I admit that Sergio Conceição left a little technical area but this whole situation does not make sense, let’s hope that common sense will prevail and not force unnatural behavior There are players, coaches and managers who live the game intensively, there are different views on the game, I think that what is happening is a clear exaggeration and this needs to be edit,” Francisco J. Marquez said in an interview with Porto. Channel. .

By appointment


6

leave your comment

Continue Reading

Trending