Connect with us

Top News

The carnival cruise ship was named for demolition amid the Covid-19 crisis

Published

on

The carnival cruise ship was named for demolition amid the Covid-19 crisis

(CNN) – A large cruise ship with only 23 years of service has been destined for a pile of garbage amid a decline caused by coronavirus for the shipping industry.

Following an announcement by the giant shipping company Carnival Corporation that they hoped to remove several ships from its fleet, it was revealed that one of them was Costa Victoria, a 2,394-passenger vessel that debuted in 1996.

While Carnival has not yet identified one of the ships set to be deactivated, the fate of Costa Victoria is questioned when the mayor of the Italian city of Piombino, Francesco Ferrari, announced on Facebook that the ship had arrived there to prepare for demolition.

Ferrari said he would welcome the captain of the ship, Gianfranco La Fauci, to the city on Tuesday morning and celebrate the moment as a step forward in Piombino’s economic recovery.

Costa Victoria was midway through when the Covid-19 pandemic struck earlier this year. The 827-foot ship arrived at Civitavecchia, in Italy, on March 25, where passengers were quarantined.

Earlier in the voyage, a passenger tested positive for coronavirus and got off the ship in Greece. Another passenger died from Covid-19 after returning from Italy to Australia.

‘Negative impact’

Passengers on the Costa Victoria await departure after the ship docked in the Italian port of Civitavecchia, returning in March.

ANDREAS SOLARO / AFP through Getty Images

“The company already has an initial agreement for the disposal of six ships which are expected to leave the fleet in the next 90 days and is currently working towards an additional agreement,” the statement said.

See also  Previous New Jersey Starbucks personnel arrested for allegedly spitting in law enforcement officers' beverages

In the report, Carnival also discussed the economic impact of a series of canceled cruise ships.

“The lag in guest operations continues to have a material negative impact on all aspects of the company’s business. The longer the lag in guest operations continues the greater the impact on company liquidity and financial position.”

The statement said Carnival expects “gradual re-entry of its ships, removal of capacity from its fleet and delays in the delivery of new vessels.”

When contacted by CNN Travel to confirm whether Costa Victoria was one of the ships to be sold, Carnival Corporation spokesman Roger Frizzell said: “We have not announced names or details regarding the six ships at this time.”

When the cruise ships retire

Costa Victoria in the port of Civitavecchia on March 25, 2020.

Costa Victoria in the port of Civitavecchia on March 25, 2020.

ANDREAS SOLARO / AFP through Getty Images

This is not the right time for the shipping industry: cruise ships are canceled all summer after Covid-19 stops shipping.

Usually, if a big brand like Carnival decides the ship is no longer needed, it is likely to sell it to a smaller company that will change the image of the ship. Ships can then sail for years to come.

But in the current climate, shipping companies are not inclined to invest in new vessels.

Take Cruise & Maritime Voyages (CMV), a British shipping company that operates several old ships that were originally built for other shipping lines.

The fleet included MV Vasco da Gama – which made headlines in March when passengers were quarantined on Australia’s Rottnest Island after the pandemic. Vasco da Gama, built in 1993, previously was Statendam America and P&O Cruises Australia Eden in the Netherlands.

See also  Rulers, a multiplayer competitive digital card game, in Portuguese.

CMV also operates Marco Polo, from 1965, plus MV Astoria, the oldest cruise ship operating since 1948. Astoria will retire this year.

CMV also operates a former carnival ship, MS Magellan, formerly known as the Holiday Carnival.

UK Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) announced on Monday that they had confiscated five CMV vessels, including Vasco da Gama, Astoria and Marco Polo, because of concerns about crew welfare and late payment of wages.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

Portuguese plan to save energy, explosions on Russian gas pipelines and other TSF events

Published

on

Portuguese plan to save energy, explosions on Russian gas pipelines and other TSF events

Details of the energy saving plan laid out by the government were released on Tuesday. The document, published in Diário da República, includes measures for the efficient use of water, public lighting and temperature limits in air conditioners.

For example, from December 6, 2022 to January 6, 2023, Christmas lighting in Portugal should only be on from 18:00 to 24:00.

Continue Reading

Top News

The abolition of fees for teaching Portuguese abroad will not be accepted by parliament, MP says – Observer

Published

on

The abolition of fees for teaching Portuguese abroad will not be accepted by parliament, MP says - Observer

According to Socialist MP Paulo Pisco, the views of the BE, PCP and PAN on the abolition of fees for teaching Portuguese abroad were voted on Tuesday in a parliamentary committee.

The Committee on Foreign Affairs and Portuguese Communities voted on Tuesday in favor of four projects – from the Left Bloc, the Communist Party of Portugal, “People-Animal-Nature” and “Enough”, which mainly advocate the abolition of fees for teaching Portuguese abroad and free school textbooks.

According to Paulo Pisco, a socialist member of the commission, the opinions of the BE, PKP and PAN were approved, but Chega’s opinion deserved to be abstained from the PS because it contained “xenophobic elements” in its purpose.

The MP had in mind, in particular, the recipients of this teaching, which is currently intended not only for the Portuguese or the descendants of the Portuguese, but also for those who want to learn the Portuguese language, with which Chega allegedly disagrees, according to Paulo Pisco. .

THE PUB • CONTINUE TO READ BELOW

After the approval of these opinions, the abolition of the bribe would be discussed and voted on in the plenary session of the Assembly of the Republic, but Paulo Pisco said that they should not be approved, since the “commitment” of the government is different.

“The government’s obligation is to reduce the burden of the Portuguese” and this will always be determined “in every approved state budget”.

Continue Reading

Top News

Portuguese health minister rejects conflict of interest over marriage to president

Published

on

The health minister said there was no conflict of interest in her marriage to the current chairman of the Order of Dietitians, saying that the trusteeship of that body had been delegated to the Secretary of State for Health Promotion.


Portugal Digital with Lusa



“Honestly, I don’t think it exists. I have no doubt that this Lady Secretary of State will fill this leadership role,” Manuel Pizarro said on Monday (age 26) on the sidelines of the Pharmacist’s Day celebrations in Sintra, in the Lisbon area.

Aware of the possible conflict of interest, Manuel Pizarro explained that he took “the most appropriate measure (…)”, which was to entrust the functions of guardianship of the Order of Nutritionists to Margarida Tavares.”

“(…) Since I took office as a minister, I have been aware that, since professional organizations have an administrative oversight role, (…) there is a risk of conflict of interest, and I have taken the measures that seem to me the most appropriate, which from the very decided at the outset that he would delegate this oversight function over the Order of Nutritionists to the Secretary of State for Health Promotion,” he stressed.

When asked about the reasons why Margarida Tavares’ name still does not appear in the Diário da República, the official said that “it was necessary to wait for the inauguration of the secretaries of state” and then “to organize the whole process of delegation of authority.” .

“It’s even a good chance that there is a Secretary of State for Health Promotion. I think custody of the Order of Dietitians has been well handed over to the Secretary of State for Health Promotion,” he repeated, noting that “he definitely won’t go through the Minister’s order.” [da Saúde]”.

See also  Rulers, a multiplayer competitive digital card game, in Portuguese.

“If the secretary of state is responsible for this, it should not go through the minister,” he stressed.

Manuel Pizarro’s statements came after news that the government official may have a conflict of interest because he is married to the chairman of the Order of Dietitians, Alexandra Bento.

The Order of Dietitians was created in 2011 with the approval of the current Minister of Health, who at the time served as Secretary of State for Health.

In addition, Alexandra Bento was the only President of the Order of Occupational Health to attend the inauguration of Manuel Pizarro on 10 September.

Continue Reading

Trending