Connect with us

Top News

PGA Tour reinforces ‘historic’

Published

on

PGA Tour reinforces 'historic'

On Monday, PGA Tour officials, players and caddies will meet at Colonial Country Club in Fort Worth, Texas, to begin preparations for the Charles Schwab Challenge.

This will be the first PGA Tour event since the Players Championship was canceled on March 12 as a result of the spread of COVID-19. And when the match starts with the opening round on Thursday, it will be 90 days since the last tournament round is played.

Suffice it to say: It’s been a long time. For golf and for sports.

The PGA tour resumed its season before the NBA and NHL continued and before Major League Baseball was even about to start. When the competition starts Thursday, it will mark the first mainstream sport in America (with apologies to NASCAR and UFC) to take place since the world was paralyzed by the pandemic.

Because the PGA Tour rearranged its schedule in April after the cancellation caused by the corona virus crisis, the Charles Schwab Challenge was set to lead among the first four events announced – all of which were played without spectators and under very strict safety regulations which included testing for all “important” personnel on the grounds.

“This will be historic,” said Michael Tothe, director of the Charles Schwab Challenge tournament, last week.

“We are happy to be part of the first four,” said Steve Wilmot, director of the RBC Heritage tournament, who finished second in the bat. “This will be unique.”

Nathan Grube, director of the Travelers Championship, the third event on the schedule, said, “We all want to do it the right way. We all have an awareness of the responsibility to do this right, to help bring the Tour back, to do it in a safe and hopefully event after we can learn from us. “

See also  China harboring armed forces-connected fugitive scientist at San Francisco consulate, FBI says

What will the results look like without an audience?

“When a TV camera turns on, it won’t look different, but without an audience, it will really be quiet here,” Tothe said. “There will be no buzz that you normally have with 25,000 fans every day. It will be strange. “

These first four events will likely feel like a championship with a talent club.

We felt a bit of it with two charity events played last month – a skin game at the Seminole Golf Club involving Rory McIlroy, Dustin Johnson, Rickie Fowler and Matthew Wolff, and the match between Tiger Woods and Peyton Manning against Phil Mickelson and Tom Brady at the Medals .

But it was an exhibition that each involved only four players and a limited TV production crew.

For the first four full field events on the revised PGA Tour schedule – this week at Colonial, then the RBC Heritage, Travelers Championship, and Rocket Mortgage Championship – the curiosity factor is significant.

And that curiosity is not limited to the audience watching TV, but for the players who will compete in the midst of what will surely be a frightening silence and for tournament organizers who have struggled to arrange their events in a way they have never done before. must before.

“When we learned that we were moving to June back in early April, I thought our stress levels were very high, because there were many things that needed to be done so we didn’t have an answer,” Tothe said. .

This is a unique time when several people have answers to many questions. That is why Tothe and fellow tournament directors of the first four events leaned against each other as they tiptoed into this new territory.

See also  Nearly 1 in 3 pilots in Pakistan have fake licenses, the flight minister said

“More than anything, it’s fun to ask people to talk to,” Wilmot said. “We are all different. We all have different places, different markets, facilities, sponsors, partners. ‘

RBC is the most different of the four, because the golf course intertwines with the resort community and is filled with houses, where there will be spectators watching golf from the deck and backyard.

“There are no houses to rent on the golf course,” Wilmot said. “Everything is rented out. There are people who rent a house during the week for their family vacation and suddenly they will leave, ‘Oh, there is a PGA Tour event in my backyard.’

What Wilmot, Grube and Langwell have that Tothe will not be able to see how the event is before their event is over.

“That will be a big advantage for us,” Grube said.

“The tour has told us, ‘We will not know certain things until we pass through the Colonial,'” Wilmot said. “And I’m sure Nathan was told,” We won’t know certain things before we go through two events before you. “All other tournaments will learn from us all.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

Portuguese rider Miguel Oliveira in 16th place after the first free practice in Assen – DNOTICIAS.PT

Published

on

Portuguese rider Miguel Oliveira in 16th place after the first free practice in Assen – DNOTICIAS.PT

Portuguese rider Miguel Oliveira (KTM) finished the first two free practices of the MotoGP Grand Prix in Assen in 16th place.

Oliveira finished the day with a time of 1.34.676 minutes, 1.402 seconds behind the best rider of the day, Italy’s Francesco Banagia (Ducati). Spaniard Aleix Espargaro (April) was second with 0.178 seconds and French champion Fabio Quartararo (Yamaha) was third with 0.305 seconds.

After the first session in the rain, in which the rider from Almada was sixth fastest, the rain stopped before the start of the second session.

The riders started with intermediate tires, but as the track in Assen in the Netherlands, considered the “cathedral” of motorsport, dried up, they installed dry tires (slicks).

Under these conditions, Miguel Oliveira was losing ground in the table, ending the day in 16th place, despite an improvement of about nine seconds from the morning’s record, in rain, in which Australian Jack Miller (Ducati) was the fastest. , fifth in the afternoon.

On Saturday there will be two more free practices and qualifications.

The 10 fastest in the set of the first three sessions go directly to the second stage of qualification (Q2), and the remaining 14 “brawl” in Q1, resulting in the two fastest qualifying to the next stage.

Fabio Quartararo enters this 11th round of the season leading the championship with 172 points, while Miguel Oliveira is in 10th place with 64 points.

See also  Hot Property: Former Lakers cut deal for Woodland Hills house
Continue Reading

Top News

Portuguese MNEs defend that Mercosur is a “natural partner” of the European Union at the moment – Observer

Published

on

Portuguese MNEs defend that Mercosur is a "natural partner" of the European Union at the moment - Observer

This Thursday, Portugal’s foreign minister said that at a time when the European Union (EU) seeks to diversify suppliers and markets, MERCOSUR is a natural partner whose importance cannot be “underestimated”.

For Portugal, “the current delicate context makes us appreciate even more the mutual advantages of the Agreement between the EU and MERCOSUR,” João Gomes Cravinho said, without directly referring to the conflict between Russia and Ukraine.

“At a time when the EU is seeking to diversify suppliers and markets in order to ensure greater strategic autonomy, MERCOSUR is a natural partner, whose importance we cannot underestimate“, the minister added at a conference entitled “Brazil and Portugal: perspectives for the future”, which takes place from Thursday to Friday at the Gulbenkian Foundation in Lisbon.

The Southern Common Market (MERCOSUR) is a South American economic bloc created in 1991, whose founding members are Brazil, Argentina, Paraguay and Uruguay.

THE PUB • CONTINUE TO READ BELOW

But still, within the framework of the European Union, Joao Gomes Cravinho believed that EU strategic partnership with Brazil left ‘untapped’.

The Minister stressed that in the context of the EU, Portugal “always knew how to use its position in favor of strengthening relations with Brazil.”

Therefore, it was during the Portuguese presidency, in 2007, that a “strategic partnership with Brazil” was established, he stressed.

However, according to the head of Portuguese diplomacy, this is “a partnership that has clearly not been used for a variety of reasons and which still retains the ability to position Brazil as Europe’s great interlocutor for South America.”

See also  Mets reliever Brad Brach among those who haven't been in Spring 2.0

With regard to bilateral relations between the two countries, the minister emphasized that “in this context of global turmoil, the wisdom of the central characteristic common to the foreign policy of Brazil and Portugal, which is active participation in many multilateral structures, in recognition of the indispensability of multilateralism, international cooperation and global rules based order.

Portugal meets with Brazil in all areas of Portuguese foreign policy. We are Atlantic, we are Ibero-American and Portuguese-speaking,” he said.

In the Atlantic dimension, “Portugal and Brazil are united by an ocean, which we recognize as growing in importance in the context of new, complex and truly existential issues,” he said.

According to João Gomes Cravinho, “Some of these problems can be answered in the Atlantic Center, co-founded by Portugal and Brazil”, and “the other part of the huge ocean problems will be addressed in detail at the great Summit.” Oceans”, which will be held in Lisbon next week.

“In any of the areas, new prospects are opening up for Portuguese-Brazilian relations,” he stressed.

With regard to Ibero-America, the minister believes that Portugal and Brazil share “an enormous strategic space with the Castilian-speaking countries, where a joint Portuguese-Brazilian reflection is undoubtedly recommended on the potential to exploit opportunities and create synergies”.

“Value of CPLP [Comunidade de Países de Língua Portuguesa] is gaining more and more recognition at the international level – and the evidence of this is the growing number of states that become associate observers” of the organization, he believes.

“Because they want to engage with us and reinforce the value of the linguistic, cultural and historical ties that unify lusophony and create a unique dynamic for relationships with third parties,” he stressed.

See also  Coronavirus and udate news live from all over the world

But even at this level, he argued that there was an urgent need to find a “convergence of visions and desires” that “allows us to enhance” our “separate realities.”

The minister also mentioned that “despite the break caused by the pandemic”, Portugal has a “real air bridge” with Brazil, consisting of more than 74 weekly TAP flights, which is a cause and effect of “a dynamic that is being updated and reinvented”. relations between the two countries.

This dynamic, according to Gomes Cravinho, is also reflected in economic and commercial relations.

Thus, “Brazil is the first Latin American export market for Portuguese merchandise and is already the fourth largest merchandise export destination (outside the EU).

“However, the conviction remains that the potential is far from being realized, and that nostalgia for the future entails a vision of a different profile of our exchanges, a technological, creative profile that corresponds to global geo-economic transformations,” he defended. .

At this stage, João Gomes Cravinho also underlined the potential of the port of Sines, “whose strategic importance, which has long been noted, takes on new importance in the troubled times that we are going through.”

Continue Reading

Top News

A cycle of Portuguese cinema will be held in New York from Friday.

Published

on

A cycle of Portuguese cinema will be held in New York from Friday.

Dand from June 24 to 30, an event called “New Stories from Portuguese Cinema” will present the perspectives of a new generation of filmmakers “whose films embody the artistic, social and political reflections that mark the 21st century,” according to the organization in a statement.

Balad o batrachio by Leonor Teles, Amor, Avenidas Novas by Duarte Coimbra and O Cordeiro de Deus by David Pinheiro Vicente are three of the 20 films that are part of this cinematic cycle.

Pedro Cabeleira, Laura Carreira, Susana Nobre, Joao Rosas, Tomas Paula Marquez, Catarina de Souza and Nick Tyson, Maya Cosa and Sergio da Costa, Christel Alves Meira, Paulo Carneiro, Pedro Peralta, Diogo Salgado, Catarina Vasconcelos and Aya Korezli other directors integrated into this movie cycle.

In addition to FLAD, this event is also the result of a partnership with New York-based Anthology Film Archives, an iconic venue for independent and experimental filmmaking, hosting a Portuguese film cycle featuring Francisco Valente.

“Anthology Film Archives has been a reference space for over 50 years. It seemed to us ideal to promote the works of these directors, emphasizing their uniqueness and quality. We believe that Portuguese cinema can gain more space in the United States and we want to do our part to internationalize it,” said FLAD President Rita Faden.

Francisco Valente, guest programmer, explained that the 18 selected directors are distinguished by “their unwavering commitment to using the screen to express their personal freedom, reflect their racial and gender identity, and develop narratives that comment on and expand our reality.” – in Portugal, in the United States, or in that beautiful and imaginary country called cinema.

See also  The effort to fire a strong NY prosecutor appears to be the latest step to protect Trump

This connection between Portugal and the United States of America is also expressed in the documentary “In the Footsteps of Utopia”, based on the testimonies of “weird” teenagers from Queens, filmed by Catarina de Souza and Nick Tyson, who will come to New York to find out their joint production, which closes this cycle.

The program of the cycle is available in the Screenings section of the Anthology Film Archives “website” (anthologyfilmarchives.org) and on the FLAD “website” (https://www.flad.pt/wp-content). /uploads/2022/02/new_tales_final_bx.pdf).

See also: Michael J. Fox received a humanitarian “Oscar”, and Diane Warren – an honorary “Oscar”.

Always be the first to know.
6th year in a row Consumers Choice and Five Star Award for Online Press.
Download our free app.

Continue Reading

Trending