Connect with us

Top News

My Senate / Diaoyu dispute: Japan’s vote to change the status of the islands is also claimed by China

Published

on

China flexes military muscle amid coronavirus pandemic

Ishigaki City Council in Japan’s Okinawa prefecture approved a law that changed the administrative status of the uninhabited island group, 1,200 miles (1,931 kilometers) southwest of Tokyo.

The islands, known as Senkakus in Japan and Diaoyus in China, have been managed by Japan since 1972, but both Tokyo and Beijing say their claims to the group have been around for hundreds of years.

China warned before Monday’s vote of a change in the status quo in the islands.

“Diaoyu Island and its affiliated islands are territories inherent in China,” a statement from the Chinese Foreign Ministry said Friday. “We ask Japan to adhere to the spirit of consensus of four principles, avoid creating new incidents on the Diaoyu Islands problem, and take practical action to maintain the stability of the East China Sea situation.”

One of the four principles is that Japan recognizes that sovereignty over the islands is in dispute.

But a bill passed on Monday in Ishigaki brushed aside concerns about how the move might be felt in Beijing.

“The approval of this case does not consider the influence of other countries, but is considered to improve the efficiency of administrative procedures,” the council said.

Earlier, Japan’s Asahi Shimbun newspaper reported the bill “insisted the islands were part of Japanese territory.”

This is the type of language that tickles in Beijing.

A a story in the Global Times run by the Chinese government this month also warned of the consequences of any change in island status.

“Changing administrative appointments at this time can only make disputes more complicated and carry more crisis risks,” Li Haidong, a professor at the Institute of International Relations at the Chinese Foreign Relations University, told the Global Times.

See also  Hong Kong to suspend all schools because of a surge in coronavirus cases

Concerns about the possibility of confrontation escalated last week with announcements from Japanese coast guards that Chinese government vessels have been seen in waters near the Senakaku / Diaoyu Islands every day since mid-April, setting a new record for the number of consecutive days.

On Monday, the sightings had reached 70 consecutive days, with Japanese coast guards saying four Chinese ships were in the area at the time the vote took place in Okinawa.

Responding to the increasing presence of Chinese people, Yoshihide Suga, Japan’s chief cabinet secretary, reiterated Tokyo’s determination at a press conference last Wednesday.

“The Senkaku Islands are under our control and there is no doubt that our territory is historically and international law. It is very serious that this activity continues. We will respond to the Chinese side firmly and calmly,” Suga said.

This aerial photo taken on September 15, 2010 shows the disputed islands known as Senkaku in Japan and Diaoyu in China in the East China Sea.

Violent protests in China

Before Monday’s vote, the latest “crisis” over the islands occurred in 2012.

That year, Japan nationalized privately owned islands to ward off planned sales to the then governor of Tokyo, a hard-line nationalist who reportedly hoped to develop the islands.

The plan sparked massive and highly unusual street protests throughout China, amid a wave of nationalist sentiment.

The demonstration turned violent when protesters threw rubble at the Japanese Embassy in Beijing, searched Japanese shops and restaurants and overturned Japanese cars.

In a vivid illustration of how the islands burned into Chinese consciousness, a Chinese man was beaten to a coma by his compatriot just because he was driving a Toyota Corolla.

What complicates the dispute about the islands, if it continues to rise to the point of military confrontation, is that the United States is obliged to maintain them as part of Japanese territory under a joint defense pact with Tokyo.

See also  Abel Ferreira tries to extend Portuguese rule in Libertadores

William Choong, a senior colleague at ISEAS-Yusof Ishak Institute in Singapore, recently warned that the Senkakus / Diaoyu might be more powdery than other contested areas in East Asia.

“Compared to other flashpoints in the region – the South China Sea, Taiwan and North Korea’s weapons program – the East China Sea combines a unique and flammable mix of history, honor and region,” Choong wrote this month on The Interpreter, a blog from the Lowy Institute in Australia.

“The question is not whether China, which is now the target of a full press trial by the Americans, wants to challenge Japan over the islands. The question is when, and how? This is what keeps Japanese (and American) policymakers awake at night,” Choong wrote.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

PORTUGUESE PARACHET JUMP IN THE NETHERLANDS

Published

on

PORTUGUESE PARACHET JUMP IN THE NETHERLANDS

Members of the Airborne Operational Battalion of the Parachute Regiment of the Portuguese Army during the annual Falcon Jump exercise on September 17, 2022 over the Ede launch zone, 18 km west of Arnhem, in the province of Gelderland, the Netherlands. A Portuguese skydiver is equipped with a SPEKON RS 2000 parachute from the German manufacturer SPEKON Sächsische Spezialkonfekion GmbH. Above him are US paratroopers with T-11 parachutes.

Photo by M. Bienik | 6 barrels per day

The annual Falcon Leap 2022 exercise, based in Eindhoven, in the south of the Netherlands, took place from 5 to 16 September 2022 in the Netherlands and Belgium. During the first week, the exercise focused on cargo drop operations, and the second week focused on drop operations. It was attended by more than 1 thousand soldiers representing 13 countries, including Portugal, with the participation of the Operational Detachment of 22 soldiers from the Airborne Operational Battalion of the Parachute Regiment of the Ground Forces.

The exercise officially ended on September 17, 2022, commemorating the 78th anniversary of Operation Market Garden, which began on the same day in 1944, during World War II, as part of the largest airborne operation in which more than 40,000 troops serving in the 1st Airborne Division of Great Britain, the 1st Independent Parachute Brigade of Poland, the 101st and 82nd Airborne Divisions of the United States of America. These commemorations were marked by the launch of paratroopers over the original drop zones of the Operation.

The photo was taken by the Polish soldier M. Benek, seconded to the 6th Airborne Brigade (BPD) – Brigadier General Stanisław Sosabowski, a unit that is the result of the historical legacy of the 1st Separate Polish Airborne Brigade, which jumped during the operation ” Bazaar Garden “, in 1944 under the command of General. Stanislav Sosabovsky – whose name is a suffix (as patron) of the current unit.

See also  Fox Sports eyeing ESPN soccer analyst Jon Vilma

Article published in partnership with “Espada & Escudo”

Comments

Comments


Continue Reading

Top News

Luana Piovani goes to Portugal’s Golden Globes with her boyfriend

Published

on

Luana Piovani goes to Portugal's Golden Globes with her boyfriend



Luana Piovani

Photo: Instagram/@luanapiovani/Famous and Celebrities

This Sunday, the 2nd, actress Luana Piovani went to the Portuguese Golden Globes along with her boyfriend Lucas Bittencourt. In her Instagram, the actress praised the outfits they were wearing.

Ready for the Golden Globes. Great guy. We are very, very luxurious, my love,” said Luana. While Lucas was wearing a black suit, she was wearing a short white lace dress with green accents at the waist.



Luana Piovani at the Golden Globes.  -

Luana Piovani at the Golden Globes. –

Photo: Instagram/@luanapiovani/Famous and Celebrities

“Long live the Golden Globes and long live you, my love, who accompanied me and constantly gave me a hand, because I have very high heels and I have a problem knee,” the actress shared.

Luana Piovani revealed the reason for the breakup with Pedro Scooby

Actress Luana Piovani finally revealed the real reason behind his breakup with surfer and former BBB Pedro Scooby. In the documentary “A Vida é Irada, Vamos Curtir”, the actress recalled the tense moment they went through due to the inattention of the athlete, which eventually became the trigger for the divorce.

While they are traveling with their family, Pedro forgot to extend their stay, leaving Luana with nowhere to go with her children and several problems to deal with. “I had to leave before 13:00 the next day because the property was already rented out. With three children and twelve suitcases, Luna remembered. “When I hung up, I took the ring off my finger, put it on the table and said, ‘My marriage just ended.’ indicated.

+The best content in your email for free. Choose your favorite Terra newsletter. Click here!

See also  Nicosia, the only divided capital city in the world. The Portuguese says that "the border is a difficult task."
Continue Reading

Top News

Portugal loses to meet Slovenia in the 1/8 finals of the Table Tennis World Cup – Observer

Published

on

Portugal loses to meet Slovenia in the 1/8 finals of the Table Tennis World Cup - Observer

The Portugal men’s table tennis team lost 3-1 to Denmark on Tuesday, but have already secured their place in the 1/8 finals of the World Team Championship, in which they will play with Slovenia.

Portugal, ranked ninth in the world rankings, proved itself in the previous two rounds against Slovakia with a score of 3:1 and against Brazil with a score of 3:2, thus guaranteeing not only access to the playoffs of the World Cup, which occupies a place in Chengdu, China, but also a victory in Group 6.

Without Marcos Freitas, the Portuguese player best positioned in the world hierarchy in which he is ranked 33rd, the national team won one game, Joao Heraldo, world number 49, over Anders Lind, 156th in the rankings, at 3- 1, with ends 11-9, 11-9, 8-11 and 11-5.

Diogo Chen (692nd), who replaced Marcos Freitas, lost the first two games he played in the tournament to Thor Christensen (891st) 3-0 (6-11, 9-11 and 8-11) and Anders Lind . , with a score of 3-1 (8-11, 11-6, 5-11 and 14-16), while João Monteiro (83rd) was surprised by Tobias Rasmussen (363rd) with a score of 3-0, with ends 12-14, 9-11 and 8-11.

THE PUB • CONTINUE TO READ BELOW

The Portuguese team could not get even with an exception introduced by Denmark in the round of 16 of the 2021 European Championship.which suffered its first setback in the competition and did not even shake the first place in the group, as it had the advantage of head-to-head with Brazil and Slovakia, who faced each other on Tuesday, with the South Americans winning 3-0.

See also  Kamala Harris urges Democrats to vote irrespective of obstructions on third night time of conference

Portugal finished level with Brazil, while Slovakia was third and Denmark fourth, and will face Slovenia, the 14th team in the world, with Darko Jocic standing out as eighth in the individual pecking order and second in Europe.

The Slovenian national team, which beat Thailand (3:0), Puerto Rico (3:1) and the USA (3:0) in Chengdu and lost only to the hosts and the very favorite China (3:0), beat Portugal in the final of the Mediterranean Games 2022 year in Oran (Algeria).

Women’s representation, which reached the 1/8 finals of the World Cup for the first timewill play against Luxembourg, the 25th team in the world rankings.

Continue Reading

Trending