Connect with us

Top News

Look inside at fans who see a little of Charles Schwab’s Challenge

Published

on

Look inside at fans who see a little of Charles Schwab's Challenge

FORT WORTH, Texas – The sound of silence should be deafening this week at Colonial Country Club.

The sound of crickets is considered all players will hear when competing at the Charles Schwab Challenge, the first of four PGA Tour events on the revised COVID-19 schedule to be played without spectators.

But what sounds could be heard from one corner of the Colonial, applause and cheers of the players and even a speaker announcer who introduced the players as they walked to the 16th tee?

Who said this week there were no spectators at Colonial?

Not Pat Henggeler, whose house faces the 15th and 16th green tees on the golf course.

Henggeler, as a colonial member with 9 defects known in this section for gathering one or two good parties at his home during the Colonial week, has created the only party in town for the Charles Schwab Challenge this week.

On Monday, he has a grandstand set up next to his house that offers views of the 15th green and the 16th tee. If you have watched CBS broadcasts from the tournament and you have heard occasional applause, it comes from the Henggeler stands.

In what will always be a strange week for players with a quiet spectator golf course, Henggeller’s pop-up party has become a welcome oasis for them as is the case for 100 or more people who have visited. cool off with drinks from the Henggeller outdoor bar.

One of the coincidental tour stars for the Henggeler show is Mason Michell, who is organically an unofficial announcer.

See also  The freight train is still rolling despite a decline in coronavirus

“Mason did a very good job and we were like,” That’s our person, “Henggeler said.

So Michell, equipped with a cheat sheet that he created with facts on each player, booming introductions as each reached the 16th tee.

The highlight of this week is when Michell, recognizing Bryson DeChambeau who was recently introduced, introduced him on Friday as if he were a boxer entering the ring for a heavyweight battle.

“I think it’s amazing what they do, saying I came in with 300 or whatever pounds, that’s funny,” DeChambeau said. “I really enjoyed it. It’s nice to have people rooting for you once in a while out there. We don’t get that very much now. ‘

Michell, who just graduated from Texas A&M will start working as an accountant, said, “I’m not trying to say anything controversial or anything. We want the players to come back and enjoy coming here. Phil [Mickelson] got a kick out of us when we talked about how he hit the bomb. He enjoyed it. ‘

When 54-hole leader Xander Schauffele finished a birdie putt on the 15th green to reach 13-under and tied Jordan Spieth to lead at the time, an explosion of applause was heard in the background of the Henggeller stands, and CBS broadcaster Jim Nantz said to his colleague, Nick Faldo: “Remember what the crowd sounded like, Nick?”

Mason Michell announced the players on the 16th hole at the Charles Shwab Challenge on Saturday in the emergency stands at a nearby home.
Mason Michell announced the players on the 16th hole at the Charles Schwab Challenge on Saturday in the emergency stands at a nearby home.Mark Cannizzaro

Previously, during my visit, the first intro I heard was:

See also  Lufthansa approved a $ 10 billion bailout with the German government

“Coming to number 16 in the green is the 2017 Colonial winner, Kevin Kisner,” Michell’s voice shouted over the loudspeaker with a good dose of pro-wrestling decoration. “And with him are‘ Mr. 58 ‘and former US Open winner, Jiiiiim Fuuuuryk.’

During my visit to the party, each player acknowledged love and attention.

“I think maybe they are also starving for fans,” Henggeler said.

“By the time they get here, you can tell the players that there are 15 holes and they have never seen anyone but their caddy,” John Eckelbarger, who works for Henggeler, said. “Then they got here and there were 100 people supporting them.”

This is a love work for Henggeler, who estimates he spends nearly $ 20,000 on set-ups, which include closed stands, widescreen TVs, fans to fight 100-degree temps, bartenders, liquor, food and portable toilets.

Henggeler doesn’t charge money to enter. The people there are friends, coworkers and neighbors, some of whom have offered donations that Henggeler plans to make for charity.

The only negative for this program, as far as I know, is the lack of social distance between the people who are there. There, too, there were no signs of faces covering anyone – besides me – during my visit.

Apparently, when it comes to face masks, Texas hasn’t gotten a memo about masks.

“I don’t think about it at all,” Henggeler said when asked about the concern of having 100 people so close to each other in the middle of a pandemic. “In our restaurant (they have a Mexican place in Arlington), we have served 30,000 people since May 1. I am not a scientist.”

See also  Former Portuguese minister criticizes the power of digital supercompanies

He also doesn’t play it on TV.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

5-star hotels lead the way in the restoration of Portuguese tourist sites

Published

on

5-star hotels lead the way in the restoration of Portuguese tourist sites

In October, the number of overnight stays in 5-star hotels increased by 15.9% compared to the same month in 2019, which, according to additional information, namely from the DMC (Tourist Inception Agency), is associated with a strong increase in tourism from the United States. states.

Information published today by INE indicates that in October, compared to the same month before the pandemic, the number of overnight stays in tourist establishments in Portugal increased by 6.2%, with the strongest increase in hotels, at 8.2%. in which, therefore, 62.1% is concentrated. overnight stays.

The information shows that 4-star hotels, where the largest number of beds are concentrated, had 48.9% of overnight stays in October, totaling 2.05 million, which is +7.6% or more than 144.7 thousand than in October 2019.

This was followed by 3-star hotels with 927.3k, but this increase was about half of 5-star hotels, by 7.6% or 65.5k, to 927.3k, and then 5-star hotels with 857. 4 thousand overnight stays, an increase of 15.9%. or 117.6 thousand compared to the same pre-pandemic month.

In contrast to the evolution in these categories, there were 2- and 1-star hotels, in which the number of overnight stays decreased by 2.7%, or ten thousand, to 360.8 thousand.

The cheapest apart-hotels (three and two stars) also saw a decrease in overnight stays, from -20.9% or less than 24.4 thousand, in hotels and farms in Madeira, from -0.4% or less, to about 300, and in tourist settlements, from -7.7. % or less than 17.5 thousand.

At the same time, the number of apart-hotels increased by 1.2%, or 8.5 thousand, to 717.5 million, due to the increase in 5-star hotels by 6.7%, or 6.6 thousand, to 104.9 thousand, and 4-star, by 5.4 thousand% or 26.4 thousand to 519.9 thousand.

See also  The Dylan Minnette actor offers Atwater Village bungalows

Overnight stays in tourist apartments also increased by 3.2%, or 13.6 thousand, to 437.8 million, local accommodation, by 0.6%, or 5.5 thousand, to 901.2 thousand, and , primarily tourism in rural areas and housing, with an increase of 45.2% or 67.3 thousand to 216.5 thousand people.

The INE data also shows that Portuguese tourist sites were the best in October in terms of overnight stays this year, with peaks achieved by 5-, 4- and 3-star hotels, 5- and 4-star apartment hotels, accommodation . and rural tourism and housing development.

See also:

The US market is already setting new annual records in Portuguese hotels

The Portuguese hospitality industry experienced the best October in terms of number of guests and overnight stays.

Continue Reading

Top News

Government approves strategy to combat “Portuguese underrepresentation” in Brussels

Published

on

Government approves strategy to combat "Portuguese underrepresentation" in Brussels

This afternoon the Council of Ministers will approve a national strategy to combat what it considers “underrepresentation de Portugal” in European institutions, in particular the European Commission.

“There is a significant shortage of Portuguese, especially those working for the Commission,” explains the Secretary of State for European Affairs in statements to Renaissance🇧🇷 The problem, according to Thiago Antunes, is not limited to middle management: “This is the first time Portugal does not have a CEO in the European Commission”.

The government wants to “correct this imbalance and fight this deficit in order to win.”ability to influence in decisions.” But it is not possible to increase the number of vacancies for the Portuguese, if only because there are no national quotas for employees working in institutions.

To go to Brussels or even work in Portugal on a full-time basis, you need to pass a series of tests prepared by EPSO (European Personnel Selection Office). 🇧🇷These are very difficult competitions.with very concrete evidence,” the official explains.

The strategy will be based on several pillars: training, increasing grants and encouraging the mobility of civil servants. The Portuguese government is going to create a national training center to “better prepare our candidates for competitions”; to bet on “dissemination of opportunities; increase the balls (by quantity and value); and create a statute that allows those who work in the public administration of Portugal to move into the European public administration.

The aim is to achieve “greater representation” in the European Commission in order to have “greater influence” on the decision. Although the strategy is to strengthen the Portuguese presence in Brussels and the employees do not work for Portugal.it doesn’t matter that they are portuguese“, he defends.

See also  Former Portuguese minister criticizes the power of digital supercompanies

Fruits may not appear early or may not even be measurable. “It will take some time until we see results,” admits the former secretary of state to the prime minister. But the wait does not stop the Portuguese government. “We have to start right now,” Thiago Antunes insists, pointing to the demographic problem among those working in Brussels. “There are a lot of Portuguese who came in at the time of our accession and are now retiring.”

The strategy aims to reverse the cycle of loss of Portuguese representation among the 27. The diploma will be approved this Wednesday in the Council of Ministers.

Continue Reading

Top News

“His manager is Portuguese and…”; The agent changes plans, and Luis Castro “arranges” the problem in the protection of “Botafogo”

Published

on

"His manager is Portuguese and...";  The agent changes plans, and Luis Castro "arranges" the problem in the protection of "Botafogo"

Botafogo

The defender must return from loan ahead of schedule, and the Glorioso coach will have to make a decision at the beginning of the preseason.

Photo: Jorge Rodriguez/AGIF.  First, Luis Castro does not have Diego Loureiro for 2023.
Photo: Jorge Rodriguez/AGIF. First, Luis Castro does not have Diego Loureiro for 2023.

With the end of the season Botafogo its reformulation is already underway with the participation of Luis Castro. Names like Carlinhos, for example, have already left General Severiano, but there is a tendency for the “purge” to continue a little longer. Especially with the return of borrowed athletes during the year.

goalkeeper case Diego Loureiro, who played on loan at Atlético GO, promoted to Serie B. Curiously, the Botafogo archer has a contract at Goiania until the end of 2023, but Dragao president Adson Batista is pessimistic about the player’s consistency.

“Diego Loureiro is a bit off because he still has a contract with Botafogo, his manager is Portuguese and he has a different vision.” said the director in an interview with radio Sagres from the capital of Goiás.

The goalkeeper played only two games for Atlético-GO, who were betting on Renan in the starting lineup. If he returns to Rio, Loureiro will likely see high competition in the black and white net as Luis Castro now has alternatives to Gatito Fernandes and Lucas Perry.

See also  Pets go on a strict diet after getting 'Quarantine 15' when locked
Continue Reading

Trending