Connect with us

Top News

Liquor rules threaten reopening NYC restaurants

Published

on

Liquor rules threaten reopening NYC restaurants

A blacklist ordered by the government for New York City restaurants that have been left behind because their liquor bills threaten evil plans to reopen this week, The Post has learned.

The so-called Phase Two Reopening for Big Apple on Monday allowed 26,000 restaurants and city bars to resume dining outside after spending months under locking of coronaviruses which had restricted them from being taken out and shipping.

But when thirsty customers start filling the sidewalk tables, cash-strapped restaurant owners will save every last penny to keep beer, cocktails and rosé flowing.

That’s because state regulations dictate that restaurants whose monthly liquor bills are not paid in full cannot use credit or borrow funds to buy alcohol. This tight cash payment condition is very unlikely to be fulfilled for most restaurants closed in the city, according to industry officials.

The Tribeca Terroir – a neat wine and tapas place that holds 65 people in the room – ordered around $ 30,000 of liquor in late February, a few weeks before it was closed by a lockout ordered by Governor Andrew Cuomo on March 16. To add insult to injury, owner Paul Greico noted the wine list was not ready for the upcoming season change.

“I don’t have rosé,” Grieco regretted. “Now suddenly that makes up 50 percent of your wine sales, and I need to buy roses and I don’t have money to do that.”

The “Delinquent List” of the State Liquor Agency, which forces restaurant owners who have not paid their monthly liquor bills in full to pay for liquor orders, usually snare less than 5 percent of the city’s restaurants at normal times, according to Robert Bookman, an expert alcohol regulation which acts as an adviser to the New York City Hospitality Alliance.

See also  European confirmation for Portuguese handball | handball

The SLA cannot provide the right number of businesses currently on its delinquency list, but Bookman estimates that it is now likely to swallow a “large majority” of New York City restaurants and bars.

“Theoretically, you can open a place and in a few days they run out of the alcohol they have for March,” Bookman said. “This can really have a negative impact on opening and their ability to move again and bring in more income.”

Darryl and Melissa Burnette are among the lucky ones who can refill before reopening. They used part of a $ 132,000 Small Business Administration loan to get their restaurant, Belle Harlem, off the naughty list last week.

But the list kept them from closing because it prevented them from ordering wine for sale. That means they cannot take advantage of the soaring demand for liquor from locked up consumers.

“We will be able to do well enough if we can increase our stock,” Darryl Burnette told The Post.

The New York State Restaurant Association has asked the SLA to relax regulations for at least 30 days to help restaurants get back up, said Chief Executive Melissa Fleischut. But state officials state that it is unfair for wholesalers, he said.

“I tried to explain to them that wholesalers will not get their money,” Fleischut told The Post. “[Restaurant owners] can’t pay. “

Wholesalers cannot give restaurants a break on their own because state law states that they report rogue customers. The law also contains rules governing prices and credit that would prevent wholesalers and restaurants from working on payment plans, according to SLA spokesman William Crowley.

See also  Noose was found in the NASCAR driver's garage, Bubba Wallace

Crowley did not explain why the SLA did not relax the rules. But he said officials had taken other steps to help restaurants and bars during the crisis – such as letting them sell cocktails to go and extending the license-renewal-fee deadline.

“We understand the difficulties these businesses face and will continue to support them as the country’s economy continues to reopen,” Crowley said in an email.

Terroir Tribeca’s Grieco said he had “a few shekels at the bank” to buy rosels worth $ 1,000 before he reopened on Wednesday. But with the reopening fee and about $ 200,000 in outstanding bills, he estimates he will not be able to pay his old liquor bill for another six to eight weeks.

He blamed inflexible state laws, which prevented him from making agreements with liquor wholesalers as he could with food vendors or their owners.

“Everybody is willing to have a conversation and I can’t be with that group of vendors, and your back is pressed against the wall,” Grieco said.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

Portuguese historical films will premiere on 29 December.

Published

on

Portuguese historical films will premiere on 29 December.

Method Media Bermuda will present the documentary FABRIC: Portuguese History in Bermuda on Thursday, December 29 at the Underwater Research Institute of Bermuda.

A spokesperson said: “Method Media is proud to bring Bermuda Fabric: Portugal History to Bermuda for its 5th and 6th showing at the Bermuda Underwater Observatory. In November and December 2019, Cloth: A Portuguese Story in Bermuda had four sold-out screenings. Now that Bermuda has reopened after the pandemic, it’s time to bring the film back for at least two screenings.

“There are tickets Ptix.bm For $ 20 – sessions at 15:30 and 18:00. Both screenings will be followed by a short Q&A session.

Director and producer Milton Raboso says, “FABRIC is a definitive account of the Portuguese community in Bermuda and its 151 years of history, but it also places Bermuda, Acors and Portugal in the world history and the events that have fueled those 151 years.

“It took more than 10 years to implement FABRIC. The film was supported by the Minister of Culture, the Government of the Azores and private donors.

Bermuda Media Method [MMB] Created in 2011 by producer Milton Raposo. MMB has created content for a wide range of clients: Bermuda’s new hospital renovation, reinsurance, travel campaigns, international sports and more. MMB pays special attention to artistic, cultural and historical content.

More about

#History of Bermuda #A photo #Portuguese

Model: Everybody, Entertainment, Movies/Movies, History, News

See also  Noose was found in the NASCAR driver's garage, Bubba Wallace
Continue Reading

Top News

CRISTANO RONALDO CAN MAKE UP A GIANT IN CARIOCA AND PORTUGUESE TECHNICIAN SAYS ‘There will be room’

Published

on

CRISTANO RONALDO CAN MAKE UP A GIANT IN CARIOCA AND PORTUGUESE TECHNICIAN SAYS 'There will be room'

News

This is a fact or event of journalistic interest. This may be new or recent information. This also applies to the novelty of an already known situation.

Article

Mostly original text. Expresses the opinion of the author, but not necessarily the opinion of the newspaper. It can be written by journalists or specialists from different fields.

Investigative

A report that contains unknown facts or episodes with a pronounced denunciatory content. This requires special methods and resources.

Content commerce

Editorial content that offers the reader conditions for making purchases.

Analysis

This is the interpretation of the news, taking into account information that goes beyond the facts told. It uses data, brings events and scenario forecasts, as well as past contexts.

Editorial

Analytical text translating the official position of the vehicle in relation to the facts covered.

Sponsored

This is an institutional article on a topic of interest to the company sponsoring the report.

fact checking

Content that confirms the accuracy and authenticity of the disclosed information or facts.

Context

This is an article that brings subsidies, historical data and relevant information to help understand a fact or news.

special

An exciting report that details the various aspects and developments of this topic. It brings data, statistics, historical context, as well as stories of characters that are affected by or directly related to the topic in question.

Criticism

A text with detailed analysis and opinions on products, services and works of art in a wide variety of fields such as literature, music, film and visual arts.

Continue Reading

Top News

Maestro de Braga is the first Portuguese in the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba.

Published

on

Maestro de Braga is the first Portuguese in the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba.

Maestro Filipe Cunha, Artistic Director of the Philharmonic Orchestra of Braga, has been invited to conduct the Cuban National Symphony Orchestra, as announced today.

According to a statement sent by O MINHO, “he will be the first Portuguese conductor to conduct this orchestra in its entire history.”

In addition to this orchestra, the maestro will also work with the Lyceo Mozarteum de la Habana Symphony Orchestra.

The concerts will take place on 4 and 12 March 2023 at the National Theater of Cuba in Havana.

In the words of the maestro, quoted in the statement, “these will be very beautiful concerts with difficult but very complex pieces” and therefore he feels “very motivated”.

From the very beginning, Rachmaninoff’s Piano Concerto No. 2 will be performed by an Italian pianist (Luigi Borzillo), whom the maestro wants to bring to Portugal later this year. In the same concert, Mendelshon’s First Symphony will be performed.

Then, at the second concert, in the company of the Mexican clarinetist Angel Zedillo, he will perform the Louis Sfora Concerto No. 2. In this concert, the maestro also conducts Tchaikovsky’s Fifth Symphony.

“This is an international recognition of my work. An invitation that I accept with humility and great responsibility. I was surprised to learn that I would be the first Portuguese member of the Cuban National Symphony Orchestra. This is a very great honor,” the maestro said in a statement.

“I take with me the name of the city of Braga and Portugal with all the responsibility that goes with it, and I hope to do a good job there, leaving a good image and putting on great concerts. These will be very special concerts because, in addition to performing pieces that I love, especially Rachmaninov and Tchaikovsky, I will be directing two wonderful soloists who are also my friends. It will be very beautiful,” concludes Filipe Cunha.

See also  Cuomo 'himself is to blame' for the death in the COVID-19 nursing home

Continue Reading

Trending