Connect with us

Top News

Imaging of William Barr ‘waste of time’ Democrats said above

Published

on

Imaging of William Barr 'waste of time' Democrats said above

WASHINGTON – US Attorney General William Barr deserves to be convicted of firing a federal prosecutor whose office has investigated President Donald Trump’s personal lawyer, but the effort will be a “waste of time,” a prominent Democratic lawmaker said on Sunday.

Jerrold Nadler, chairman of the House of Representatives Judiciary Committee who helped lead Trump’s impeachment session last year, told CNN’s “United State” that the Republican-led Senate would block any efforts to sanction Barr.

“I think he deserves impeachment. He certainly deserves impeachment. But again, it’s a waste of time because Republicans in the Senate won’t see that and we have, we have another way to get this, “Nadler said.

A Justice Department spokesman did not immediately respond to requests for comment

The Berman shootings are the latest in a series of movements by Barr that critics say aims to benefit Trump politically and undermine the independence of the Justice Department.

Nadler’s comments on Sunday underlined the challenges facing Democrats on Capitol Hill in trying to control Barr with a Republican Senate who was wary of criticizing Trump before the November 3 presidential election.

Nadler said his panel would investigate the shooting of Trump prosecutor Geoffrey Berman on Saturday after a deadlock over the independence of one of the country’s most important federal prosecutors’ offices.

US lawyers for the Southern District of New York have not shied away from taking figures in Trump’s orbit and have investigated his personal lawyer, Rudy Giuliani.

US Representative Adam Schiff, the main prosecutor in Trump’s impeachment, told NBC “Meet the Press” the motivation to fire Berman was suspected, “given the patterns and practices of the two presidents in finding ways to use the justice system to respect friends, punish enemies, protect their loved ones. and Bill Barr’s willingness to bring the water to the president. “

See also  Ruth Bader Ginsburg discharged from the healthcare facility and performing nicely

Nadler said he had asked Berman to give testimony in the Justice Committee’s investigation of political interference in the Department of Justice launched earlier this year.

Nadler said he did not know whether Berman would testify at a hearing on Wednesday with reporters from the department, “but I am sure he would testify” at some point.

The dispute began Friday night when Barr announced Berman was stepping down and would be replaced by US Securities and Exchange Commission Chair Jay Clayton. Berman refused to resign until the Senate confirmed his successor, saying the investigation of his office would continue.

Only after Barr stepped down from his plan to elect the acting US attorney himself, which allowed Berman’s deputy, Audrey Strauss to take control, Berman agreed to resign on Saturday.

Several Democratic lawmakers, including Senator Elizabeth Warren, called for the impeachment of Barr. The Senate, in which the Republican Party holds 53 of the 100 seats, will never vote for it so the Democrat-led House must pursue alternative measures, Nadler said, citing his proposal to cut $ 50 million in funding from Barr’s personal budget.

On Saturday night, at least 135 former federal prosecutors weighed a political storm with a petition criticizing Trump and Barr for “undermining confidence in our criminal justice system.”

Clayton’s link to Wall Street – Deutsche Bank AG was among his clients at the law firm Sullivan & Cromwell – could require him to resign from a number of investigations. Deutsche Bank, one of the largest creditors for hotels, golf courses and other Trump properties, is still under investigation by the Justice Department.

See also  COP26: Portuguese activist recognizes the radicalization of environmental movements | Climate

Republican Senator Tim Scott on Sunday played down concerns that Clayton might try to neutralize the inquiry related to Trump and his business.

“There is no indication that the investigation will stop,” Scott told ABC “This Week,” calling Clayton a “straight shooter.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

Every Portuguese wastes 183 kg of food a year, and this is “inconceivable”.

Published

on

Every Portuguese wastes 183 kg of food a year, and this is "inconceivable".

President of the Portuguese Federation of Food Banks Against Hunger Isabelle Jonet considers food waste unacceptable and absurd, as every Portuguese wastes 183 kg of food a year.

As World Food Loss and Waste Awareness Day is celebrated, speaking at a conference on the subject in Lisbon, the official recalled statistics released by the National Statistical Institute and said the situation was “worse than expected.”

The data, official and published for the first time, refers to 2020 and shows that 1.89 million tons of food was wasted in Portugal this year, so each Portuguese wasted an average of 183.6 kilograms of food.

INE statistics show that families spend the most. The figures show that over 1.2 million tons of food was wasted by families this year, followed by catering with over 237 thousand tons, trade and distribution with 214 thousand tons, primary production with over 101 thousand tons and food . industry, about 61 thousand tons.

“We buy too much, we buy bad, we let it go bad. It is unacceptable that a third of what is produced ends up in the trash,” the official said, speaking at a debate organized by the United Movement Against Waste.

Ana Cristina Carrola of the Portuguese Environmental Protection Agency (APA), who also took part in the debate, stressed that the average amount of waste per year per inhabitant in the European Union is 173 kg, less than the 183 kg that is thrown away by the Portuguese.

“This is unthinkable in our day,” he lamented.

See also  COP26: Portuguese activist recognizes the radicalization of environmental movements | Climate

Continue Reading

Top News

Thanks to goals from Evanilson and Pepe, Porto beat Braga in Portuguese; Sporting wins too

Published

on

Thanks to goals from Evanilson and Pepe, Porto beat Braga in Portuguese;  Sporting wins too



Evanilson scored four goals in eight matches in the 2022/23 Portuguese Liga (Photo: MIGUEL RIOPA/AFP)

Photo: Lance!

After the draw in the last round Portuguese Championship, Porto won again. This Friday, the defending champions thrashed Braga 4-1 at the Dragau Stadium. Goals came from Evanilson, Eustaquio, Pepe and Galeno. Defender Pepe, against, got to the opponent.

Ex-Fluminense Evanilson opened the scoring in the 32nd minute of the opening stage. Eustaquio tried to make a cross and the Brazilian forward appeared on the second post to prop up his chest. Two minutes later, Pepe filed Eustaquio, who sent the ball into an empty net.

In the final stage, the Portuguese-Brazilian defender Pepe tried to cut off a low cross, but sent him into his own net. Pepe, the former Gremio who assisted, got it from Taremi after a beautiful move that extended the game in the 18th minute. In addition, the Brazilian Galeno closed the account in the north of Portugal.

– I am very happy to score again and, above all, for this victory. A match we knew would be difficult, against a strong opponent who was in good sequence, but in which we managed to impose our rhythm and win three points in front of our fans. Now it’s time to rest and get back to work, already thinking about the next challenge, which is also very important for us, – said Evanilson after the match.

SPORTING TOO WINS

Another great player to take the field this Friday is Sporting CP. In Lisbon, on José de Alvalade, the Lions beat Gil Vicente 3-1. For Rubén Amorim’s side, Morita, Pote Gonçalves and Rocinha scored. Fran Navarro scored in stoppage time.



Sporting CP are the vice-leaders of Portugal (Photo: PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)

Sporting CP are the vice-leaders of Portugal (Photo: PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)

Photo: Lance!

+The best content in your email for free. Choose your favorite Terra newsletter. Click here!

See also  The Portuguese is on the horizon to replace Lirola
Continue Reading

Top News

Portuguese tennis player Gonçalo Oliveira in the doubles final of the Lisbon Belém Open

Published

on

Portuguese coach praises the development of women's handball after the Iberian duel

Oliveira and Kolar defeated France’s Manuel Guinard and Venezuela’s Luis David Martínez in the semi-finals for first place in the series, in straight sets with partial scores of 6-1 and 6-2 after 58 minutes of play.

In the title match, they will take on the Ukrainian duo of Vladislav Manafov and Oleg Prikhodko, who eliminated Jivan Nedunchezhyan of India and Christopher Rungkat of Indonesia 6-4 and 6-2 in the semi-finals.

For the 27-year-old Portuguese tennis player, this will be his 31st doubles final at the ATP Challenger Tour and third at the Lisboa Belém Open after reaching the final in 2017 with compatriot Frederico Gil and champion in 2020 with Dominican Roberto Cid Subervi.

In singles, Italian Marco Cecchinato, semi-finalist of Roland Garros in 2018, beat Spaniard Carlos Taberner 7-6 (7-2) and 6-4, scheduling a meeting in the semi-final with the “Reserve” Kazakh Timofey Skatov, responsible for eliminating Frenchman Benoit Pera, in three matches, with a score of 6-4, 2-6 and 7-5.

The other semi-final of the Lisbon tournament will be discussed between Austrian Filip Mizolich, who defeated Giulio Zeppieri 6-4 today, and Frenchman Luca van Assche, the executioner of compatriot Alexander Müller, who finished seventh. parts 6-4 and 7-5.

See also  WHO reports the largest increase in coronavirus cases one day
Continue Reading

Trending