Connect with us

Top News

Fox News published digitally and misleading images of the Seattle demonstration

Published

on

Fox News published digitally and misleading images of the Seattle demonstration

The portrayal of the demonstration by Fox News reflects many attempts by right-wing media to describe it as a threat. Protesters have declared a small slice of Seattle an “autonomous zone” after clashes with authorities prompted police to evacuate a police station. Although there were several sightings of armed men, the area remained largely peaceful with people gathering to eat, give speeches and film screenings.
The narrative that takes place this week in the right-wing circle is the story where an armed member of Antifa seizes part of Seattle. City officials said they had not yet interacted with members of Antifa, a loose network of affiliated groups that had a history of clashing with right-wing organizations.

“This is not an armed takeover,” Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan told CNN late Thursday. “This is not a military junta.”

However, President Trump appears to be making use of reports in right-wing media, calling protesters “domestic terrorists” and threatening to use federal forces to rid them of the area.

Despite the President’s description that contradicts reality on the ground, Fox News continues to present a dangerous situation. The publication of altered and misleading images on a large number of traded websites is the latest example – and arguably the most terrible – of that.

Among the photos published by Fox News on the porch were photos showing a protester running past a burning vehicle and a building with the headline “CRAZY TOWN” blaring on the website. The picture, which accompanied a story about the situation in Seattle, was actually taken from last month’s unrest in Minnesota.

See also  More than 7,000 students failed the Portuguese language exam this year | education

In other photos showing the scene in Seattle, Fox News added digitally a picture of a man armed with an assault rifle.

A spokeswoman for Fox News pointed to CNN on Saturday morning for editor’s notes added to network stories published with misleading images.

“A photo collage on the homepage of FoxNews.com which originally accompanied this story included scenes from Seattle’s ‘Autonomous Capitol Zone’ and ruins after the recent riots,” the note wrote. “Collage does not clearly depict these images, and has since been replaced. In addition, recent slides depicting scenes from Seattle mistakenly included images from St. Paul. Fox News regrets these mistakes. . “

The network also gave comments Friday to The Seattle Times.

“We have replaced our photo illustrations with clear pictures of a gunman and a destroyed display case, both taken this week in the Seattle autonomous zone,” Fox News spokesman told the newspaper.

The Seattle Times, however, reported that the statement was inaccurate. The newspaper showed that “the photograph of the gunman was taken June 10, while the images of the smashed display window were given on May 30 by Getty Images.”

Journalist photo ethics expert said The Seattle Times that Fox News behaved inappropriately when publishing digitally altered images.

“I think it is a shameful propaganda and it is very wrong to represent documentary journalism at a time like this, when disclosure of truth and accountability is very important,” Kenny Irby, photo journalism ethics expert, told the newspaper. “There is no attribution. There is no montage recognition, and that is very misleading.”

See also  Teachers in France petition to develop Portuguese language teaching

Akili Ramsess, executive director of the National Press Photographers Association, told The Seattle Times that “it’s terrible to manipulate this the way they have done it.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

Computer exam | The PLATO mission is looking for another “Earth”. And there is a Portuguese name associated

Published

on

The PLATO observatory will have 26 telescopic cameras to detect planets like ours in size, density and distance from a star orbiting thousands of sun-like stars. Portugal is actively engaged in science, development and processing of observations of this mission and will be able to name one of the cameras that are part of the mission.

The IA has now opened a vote to choose a Portuguese name, which will then be the identification of one of the cameras “during the existence of the mission in space, as a way to honor the astronomers who prepared the science that the PLATO mission will allow to advance,” can be read on the institute’s online page.

Taking into account the criteria that it must be a person who was born somewhere within the current boundaries of the territory, who contributed to astronomy in our country, especially in the study of stars and planetary systems, and who cannot be a living person, the IA proposes the following personalities:

– Teodoro de Almeida (1722-1804)

– José Monteiro da Rocha (1734-1819)

– Campos Rodriguez (1836-1919)

– Francisco de Miranda da Costa Lobo (1864-1945)

– Manuel de Barros (1908-1971)

See a brief biography of each of these personalities here and take the opportunity to vote.

See also  Greene County experiences 527 instances of COVID-19 weekly improve of practically 170
Continue Reading

Top News

Switzerland hosts Portuguese cinema in Locarno

Published

on

Europeus de motas de água vão passar em Entre-os-Rios

The film “Nasao Valente” by Carlos Conceisan is part of Film Festival in Locarnoin Switzerland in August, in an edition containing other Portuguese and co-produced works, out of competition.

According to the schedule for the 75th edition, released this Wednesday, the international feature film competition is hosting “Nacao Valente,” a feature film by Carlos Conceicao that, according to producer Terratreme Filmes, is about “the end of Portuguese colonialism, the independence of Angola.” and the Trauma of Colonial War.

The film features actors such as João Arraes, Anabela Moreira, Gustavo Sumpta and Leonor Silveira and was co-produced with France and Angola, where Carlos Conceição was born in 1979.

Carlos Conceição is the author of films such as Versailles presented in Locarno in 2013, Bad Bunny (2017), Serpentario (2019) and A Thread of Scarlet Spit (2020).

At the Locarno Film Festival, which will be held from 3 to 13 August, other Portuguese films will also be presented out of competition, namely “Where is this street? Or without before and after”, Joao Pedro Rodriguez and Joao Rui Guerra da Mata, also producer of Terratreme.

In Locarno, where they have already received awards, the two directors will present the premiere of a documentary filmed in Lisbon, revisiting the scenes of Paulo Rocha’s Os Verdes Anos (1963) with actress Isabelle Ruth.

Also out of competition and in the program dedicated to the first works will be “Objetos de Luz”, a visual reflection on the importance of light in cinematic creativity, signed by director of photography Acasio de Almeida and Marie Carré, producer of Bando à Part.

See also  Teachers in France petition to develop Portuguese language teaching

The “Pardi di domani” competition for short and medium films features the animated film “L’ombre des papillons” by Moroccan director Sophia El Hyari, co-produced by France, Qatar, Morocco and Portugal. Cola Animation.

Day of Despair (1992), a film by Manoel de Oliveira about the last days of the life of the writer Camilo Castelo Branco, will be screened in Locarno in the Film History(s) section.

On the eve of the Locarno festival, in Piazza Grande, the animated film “No Dogs and Italians” directed by Alain Ughetto, recently awarded in Annecy, a Portuguese co-production with Ocidental Filmes, will be screened. .

Giona A. Nazzaro, second year as Artistic Director of the Locarno Festival, described this year’s program as “broad, varied and comprehensive”.

#portugalpositive

Continue Reading

Top News

Portuguese heritage at the Jewish cemetery in Hamburg

Published

on

Portuguese heritage at the Jewish cemetery in Hamburg

The Jewish-Portuguese cemetery in Hamburg is an outstanding example of the Portuguese presence in the world, where history confirms the well-known ability of the Portuguese to adapt to the most unexpected contexts and situations.

Built in 1611 with over 1,500 graves recorded, according to some sources, the cemetery was officially closed almost a century and a half ago and is today a heavily visited site and the oldest in the city and northern Europe. You pass the gate that protects it, and the visitor is immediately enveloped in tall and scattered trees, which give shade and freshness to the tombstones inscribed in Portuguese, others in Hebrew, many covered with a veil of soot and moss, some fallen vertically.

Fleeing from Portugal due to the Inquisition at the end of the 16th century, the new Christians were well received in Hamburg, where they found a place to live without hiding their religion and Jewish rituals. Located then in one of the most noble districts of the city, the name of the Königstraße, Rua dos Reisis a reflection of this.

The land was acquired by the Portuguese merchants André Falero, Rui Cardoso and Alvaro Dinis, who won the sovereign’s favor and thus managed to ensure that “the Portuguese people could bury their dead,” the Sephardic Jews, according to the little book. Stone Archive – 400th Anniversary of the Jewish Cemetery in Königstraße. Through their actions, they have left to posterity an extraordinary legacy in which to find part of the history of Portugal and Hamburg, which certainly contributed to the fact that this city is today the most Portuguese in Germany, with countless traces of our presence, starting with the “Portuguese Quarter”, crowded with restaurants , to the old school ship Sagres anchored in port, from the ubiquitous custard tarts to the only bust of Vasco da Gama to be found abroad.

See also  The North Carolina coronavirus surged ahead of the GOP convention

Later, the cemetery was expanded through the acquisition of adjacent land by Ashkenazi and German Jews, where members of illustrious families such as the poet Heinrich Heine or the philosopher Mendelssohn were buried.

The cemetery withstood the passage of time, wars and Nazi bombardments. Just as he resisted the theft and anti-Semitic vandalism that hit him several times, apparently on some of the tombstones, broken or damaged.

Continue Reading

Trending