Connect with us

Top News

Dozens of Republicans urged Trump not to reduce the number of US troops in Germany

Published

on

Dozens of Republicans urged Trump not to reduce the number of US troops in Germany

Mac Thornberry’s representative, the top Republican on the panel, joined the other 21 Republicans on the committee in urging Trump not to significantly reduce the number of US troops in Germany.

The letter came after a defense official told CNN last week that the White House had requested a large reduction in US military personnel stationed in the country. The official said that the exact size of the reduction had not yet been decided but the 9,500 cut was the current interim planning figure. A formal order to start moving troops has not been given but is expected soon.

There are around 34,000 US troops currently stationed in Germany.

“We strongly believe that NATO allies, like Germany, must do more to contribute to our joint defense efforts. At the same time, we also know that the deployment of American troops since the end of World War II has helped prevent another world war and, which most importantly, has helped make America safer, “the MP wrote.

“In Europe, the threat posed by Russia has not diminished, and we believe that the signs of weakening US commitment to NATO will encourage further Russian aggression and opportunism. In addition, the overall limit of troops will prevent us from doing the training necessary for training and the readiness of our troops and our allies, “they added.

“The troop limit will also significantly reduce the number of US troops that can flow through Germany to be placed in bases around the world, which causes serious logistical challenges,” the letter wrote.

See also  Vils sculpture in Lisbon commemorating the first Portuguese to arrive in Korea will have a sister in the city of Tongyeong

While defense officials have considered moving troops from Germany in the past, US and NATO officials told CNN last week that the size and timing of the reduction was unexpected.

This is not the first time that Trump has clashed with congressional Republicans on military matters, due to the isolationist tendency of the President to break up with typical Republican foreign policy. Republicans Congress urged him to avoid withdrawing all US troops from Afghanistan, for example, and criticized his decision last year to withdraw US troops from Syria.

Republicans also encouraged Trump to remain committed to NATO even though he had railed against the alliance for years, complaining that European countries were not paying enough to support NATO. In particular, Trump has been critical of Germany for not meeting NATO’s 2% defense spending target.

Rep. Republican Wyoming from Liz Cheney said in a statement Tuesday that withdrawing US troops from Germany “would be a serious mistake” that would “undermine our national security.”

“The American presence in the future has never been as important as today, because our country faces threats to freedom and security throughout the world posed by Russia and the Communist Party Vladimir Putin. Our presence abroad is very important to deter these enemies, strengthen alliances, maintain peace through force, and maintain American leadership, “he said.

“Withdrawing our troops and leaving our allies will have big consequences, embolden our enemies and make war more – no less – a possibility,” Cheney added.

The US military has stationed troops in Germany since the end of the Second World War and their presence on the front lines of the Cold War helped prevent the Soviet Union from launching attacks on NATO members.

See also  Frances Tiafoe tested positive for the corona virus after the tennis exhibition

While the number of US troops in Germany has declined in recent years, US bases in the country continue to be used by the military because of their strategic location and the presence of US defense infrastructure such as air bases and medical facilities.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

Portuguese historical films will premiere on 29 December.

Published

on

Portuguese historical films will premiere on 29 December.

Method Media Bermuda will present the documentary FABRIC: Portuguese History in Bermuda on Thursday, December 29 at the Underwater Research Institute of Bermuda.

A spokesperson said: “Method Media is proud to bring Bermuda Fabric: Portugal History to Bermuda for its 5th and 6th showing at the Bermuda Underwater Observatory. In November and December 2019, Cloth: A Portuguese Story in Bermuda had four sold-out screenings. Now that Bermuda has reopened after the pandemic, it’s time to bring the film back for at least two screenings.

“There are tickets Ptix.bm For $ 20 – sessions at 15:30 and 18:00. Both screenings will be followed by a short Q&A session.

Director and producer Milton Raboso says, “FABRIC is a definitive account of the Portuguese community in Bermuda and its 151 years of history, but it also places Bermuda, Acors and Portugal in the world history and the events that have fueled those 151 years.

“It took more than 10 years to implement FABRIC. The film was supported by the Minister of Culture, the Government of the Azores and private donors.

Bermuda Media Method [MMB] Created in 2011 by producer Milton Raposo. MMB has created content for a wide range of clients: Bermuda’s new hospital renovation, reinsurance, travel campaigns, international sports and more. MMB pays special attention to artistic, cultural and historical content.

More about

#History of Bermuda #A photo #Portuguese

Model: Everybody, Entertainment, Movies/Movies, History, News

See also  The US reports more than 38,000 new Covid-19 cases
Continue Reading

Top News

CRISTANO RONALDO CAN MAKE UP A GIANT IN CARIOCA AND PORTUGUESE TECHNICIAN SAYS ‘There will be room’

Published

on

CRISTANO RONALDO CAN MAKE UP A GIANT IN CARIOCA AND PORTUGUESE TECHNICIAN SAYS 'There will be room'

News

This is a fact or event of journalistic interest. This may be new or recent information. This also applies to the novelty of an already known situation.

Article

Mostly original text. Expresses the opinion of the author, but not necessarily the opinion of the newspaper. It can be written by journalists or specialists from different fields.

Investigative

A report that contains unknown facts or episodes with a pronounced denunciatory content. This requires special methods and resources.

Content commerce

Editorial content that offers the reader conditions for making purchases.

Analysis

This is the interpretation of the news, taking into account information that goes beyond the facts told. It uses data, brings events and scenario forecasts, as well as past contexts.

Editorial

Analytical text translating the official position of the vehicle in relation to the facts covered.

Sponsored

This is an institutional article on a topic of interest to the company sponsoring the report.

fact checking

Content that confirms the accuracy and authenticity of the disclosed information or facts.

Context

This is an article that brings subsidies, historical data and relevant information to help understand a fact or news.

special

An exciting report that details the various aspects and developments of this topic. It brings data, statistics, historical context, as well as stories of characters that are affected by or directly related to the topic in question.

Criticism

A text with detailed analysis and opinions on products, services and works of art in a wide variety of fields such as literature, music, film and visual arts.

Continue Reading

Top News

Maestro de Braga is the first Portuguese in the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba.

Published

on

Maestro de Braga is the first Portuguese in the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba.

Maestro Filipe Cunha, Artistic Director of the Philharmonic Orchestra of Braga, has been invited to conduct the Cuban National Symphony Orchestra, as announced today.

According to a statement sent by O MINHO, “he will be the first Portuguese conductor to conduct this orchestra in its entire history.”

In addition to this orchestra, the maestro will also work with the Lyceo Mozarteum de la Habana Symphony Orchestra.

The concerts will take place on 4 and 12 March 2023 at the National Theater of Cuba in Havana.

In the words of the maestro, quoted in the statement, “these will be very beautiful concerts with difficult but very complex pieces” and therefore he feels “very motivated”.

From the very beginning, Rachmaninoff’s Piano Concerto No. 2 will be performed by an Italian pianist (Luigi Borzillo), whom the maestro wants to bring to Portugal later this year. In the same concert, Mendelshon’s First Symphony will be performed.

Then, at the second concert, in the company of the Mexican clarinetist Angel Zedillo, he will perform the Louis Sfora Concerto No. 2. In this concert, the maestro also conducts Tchaikovsky’s Fifth Symphony.

“This is an international recognition of my work. An invitation that I accept with humility and great responsibility. I was surprised to learn that I would be the first Portuguese member of the Cuban National Symphony Orchestra. This is a very great honor,” the maestro said in a statement.

“I take with me the name of the city of Braga and Portugal with all the responsibility that goes with it, and I hope to do a good job there, leaving a good image and putting on great concerts. These will be very special concerts because, in addition to performing pieces that I love, especially Rachmaninov and Tchaikovsky, I will be directing two wonderful soloists who are also my friends. It will be very beautiful,” concludes Filipe Cunha.

See also  Russian intelligence officers offered cash prizes to Taliban fighters to kill US, British troops in Afghanistan, sources said

Continue Reading

Trending