Connect with us

Top News

De Blasio, the Board is close to a budget deal with a NYPD $ 1 billion cut

Published

on

De Blasio, the Board is close to a budget deal with a NYPD $ 1 billion cut

Mayor de Blasio and Board Chair Corey Johnson are finalizing a $ 87 billion budget agreement that will avoid city layoffs while cutting $ 1 billion from the Police Department’s budget through transfers and spending cuts, The Post has learned.

The agreement – which the City Council was briefing on Monday night – largely returned the cuts made by Hizzoner to the summer youth employment program, advisers for high-need schools and tuition assistance for low-income City University students.

But it also kept most of the other spending cuts proposed by de Blasio in April intact as officials sought to navigate the Big Apple deficit estimated at $ 9 billion, caused by a coronavirus pandemic outbreak and subsequent economic closure.

April Hizzoner’s budget – when the deficit was estimated at only $ 7 billion – continues the city’s tradition to save the NYPD from the budget ax even in difficult times.

Only a few weeks later, the brutal death of the police in the arrest of George Floyd in Minneapolis skyrocketed on social media, sending tens of thousands of New Yorkers to the streets in protest – the first in a series of imminent dominoes – making Hizzoner politically besieged and fully improving the debate the budget.

The latest spending plan hopes to answer calls from protesters to ‘thwart’ the NYPD by cutting and transferring $ 1 billion from its budget, four sources confirmed. However, City Hall uses accounting standards which critics call ‘tricks’.

This transferred school security officers back to the Department of Education, moving $ 307 million from the NYPD budget in the first year. He also asked the school’s security agent to be transferred to another agent that was still undetermined, accounting for $ 42 million.

See also  For sale 105 hectares of land in Hollister Ranch

Controversially, sources told The Post, City Hall also calculated $ 134 million in additional benefits – such as health, dental and eye care – related to the employee to another agency, and calculated the savings toward the $ 1 billion goal.

The NYPD should also cut its overtime expenditure by $ 352 million by 2021 – roughly half of its annual expenditure, which exceeds $ 700 million in each of the last three budgets completed.

Most of the remaining savings came from reducing the number of departmental employees through reductions and by delaying cadet classes, the source added.

However, several popular programs cut by de Blasio in April have seen their funds partially or completely recovered, three sources said:

  • The ‘Student Fair’ program that helps equalize funding between richer and poorer school districts in Gotham will keep funding flat, instead of facing a $ 100 million cut
  • The popular ‘Single Sheperd’ counseling program from the Ministry of Education for high needs schools faces challenges but now has a $ 11 million budget back
  • The ASAP CUNY assistance program for low-income students at community colleges also saw many of its deductions, returning funds to levels close to last year

And there was $ 100 million included to provide programming and jobs for urban youth during the summer, largely reversing one of the most controversial cuts from the April de Blasio budget.

In addition, sources say that the agreement between de Blasio and Johnson also avoids layoffs in the city workforce.

The mayor has publicly warned that 22,000 employees could be fired unless state lawmakers in Albany approve the emergency loan authority, only to see the state Senate reject his request twice.

See also  The former Missouri police officer was charged after hitting a man in his car

However, the budget – which must be passed on Tuesday – will not be easy to sell.

One calculation seen by The Post shows that 15 out of 50 city MPs can oppose the agreement. The board has 51 seats, although currently one seat is empty.

“The Mayor has two objectives for this budget: maintaining security, and investing in the hardest-hit youths and our communities – all facing the toughest fiscal situation the city has seen in decades,” said City Hall press secretary Freddi Goldstein, who refused to comment on the details. “We believe that we have presented a plan that completes that mission and look forward to working with the Council to issue a budget that helps the city rebuild more strongly.”

Johnson’s office declined to comment.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

Every Portuguese wastes 183 kg of food a year, and this is “inconceivable”.

Published

on

Every Portuguese wastes 183 kg of food a year, and this is "inconceivable".

President of the Portuguese Federation of Food Banks Against Hunger Isabelle Jonet considers food waste unacceptable and absurd, as every Portuguese wastes 183 kg of food a year.

As World Food Loss and Waste Awareness Day is celebrated, speaking at a conference on the subject in Lisbon, the official recalled statistics released by the National Statistical Institute and said the situation was “worse than expected.”

The data, official and published for the first time, refers to 2020 and shows that 1.89 million tons of food was wasted in Portugal this year, so each Portuguese wasted an average of 183.6 kilograms of food.

INE statistics show that families spend the most. The figures show that over 1.2 million tons of food was wasted by families this year, followed by catering with over 237 thousand tons, trade and distribution with 214 thousand tons, primary production with over 101 thousand tons and food . industry, about 61 thousand tons.

“We buy too much, we buy bad, we let it go bad. It is unacceptable that a third of what is produced ends up in the trash,” the official said, speaking at a debate organized by the United Movement Against Waste.

Ana Cristina Carrola of the Portuguese Environmental Protection Agency (APA), who also took part in the debate, stressed that the average amount of waste per year per inhabitant in the European Union is 173 kg, less than the 183 kg that is thrown away by the Portuguese.

“This is unthinkable in our day,” he lamented.

See also  The former Missouri police officer was charged after hitting a man in his car

Continue Reading

Top News

Thanks to goals from Evanilson and Pepe, Porto beat Braga in Portuguese; Sporting wins too

Published

on

Thanks to goals from Evanilson and Pepe, Porto beat Braga in Portuguese;  Sporting wins too



Evanilson scored four goals in eight matches in the 2022/23 Portuguese Liga (Photo: MIGUEL RIOPA/AFP)

Photo: Lance!

After the draw in the last round Portuguese Championship, Porto won again. This Friday, the defending champions thrashed Braga 4-1 at the Dragau Stadium. Goals came from Evanilson, Eustaquio, Pepe and Galeno. Defender Pepe, against, got to the opponent.

Ex-Fluminense Evanilson opened the scoring in the 32nd minute of the opening stage. Eustaquio tried to make a cross and the Brazilian forward appeared on the second post to prop up his chest. Two minutes later, Pepe filed Eustaquio, who sent the ball into an empty net.

In the final stage, the Portuguese-Brazilian defender Pepe tried to cut off a low cross, but sent him into his own net. Pepe, the former Gremio who assisted, got it from Taremi after a beautiful move that extended the game in the 18th minute. In addition, the Brazilian Galeno closed the account in the north of Portugal.

– I am very happy to score again and, above all, for this victory. A match we knew would be difficult, against a strong opponent who was in good sequence, but in which we managed to impose our rhythm and win three points in front of our fans. Now it’s time to rest and get back to work, already thinking about the next challenge, which is also very important for us, – said Evanilson after the match.

SPORTING TOO WINS

Another great player to take the field this Friday is Sporting CP. In Lisbon, on José de Alvalade, the Lions beat Gil Vicente 3-1. For Rubén Amorim’s side, Morita, Pote Gonçalves and Rocinha scored. Fran Navarro scored in stoppage time.



Sporting CP are the vice-leaders of Portugal (Photo: PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)

Sporting CP are the vice-leaders of Portugal (Photo: PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)

Photo: Lance!

+The best content in your email for free. Choose your favorite Terra newsletter. Click here!

See also  “History has been made. Every Portuguese knows your names one by one. " Marcelo has already graced the Futsal World Champions - Observer
Continue Reading

Top News

Portuguese tennis player Gonçalo Oliveira in the doubles final of the Lisbon Belém Open

Published

on

Portuguese coach praises the development of women's handball after the Iberian duel

Oliveira and Kolar defeated France’s Manuel Guinard and Venezuela’s Luis David Martínez in the semi-finals for first place in the series, in straight sets with partial scores of 6-1 and 6-2 after 58 minutes of play.

In the title match, they will take on the Ukrainian duo of Vladislav Manafov and Oleg Prikhodko, who eliminated Jivan Nedunchezhyan of India and Christopher Rungkat of Indonesia 6-4 and 6-2 in the semi-finals.

For the 27-year-old Portuguese tennis player, this will be his 31st doubles final at the ATP Challenger Tour and third at the Lisboa Belém Open after reaching the final in 2017 with compatriot Frederico Gil and champion in 2020 with Dominican Roberto Cid Subervi.

In singles, Italian Marco Cecchinato, semi-finalist of Roland Garros in 2018, beat Spaniard Carlos Taberner 7-6 (7-2) and 6-4, scheduling a meeting in the semi-final with the “Reserve” Kazakh Timofey Skatov, responsible for eliminating Frenchman Benoit Pera, in three matches, with a score of 6-4, 2-6 and 7-5.

The other semi-final of the Lisbon tournament will be discussed between Austrian Filip Mizolich, who defeated Giulio Zeppieri 6-4 today, and Frenchman Luca van Assche, the executioner of compatriot Alexander Müller, who finished seventh. parts 6-4 and 7-5.

See also  The former Missouri police officer was charged after hitting a man in his car
Continue Reading

Trending