Connect with us

Top News

CIM Group drops plan to buy Baldwin Hills Crenshaw Plaza

Published

on

CIM Group drops plan to buy Baldwin Hills Crenshaw Plaza

Developer CIM Group has backed out of a pending deal to buy Baldwin Hills Crenshaw Plaza in the face of opposition from activists in the mall’s South Los Angeles neighborhood.

The Los Angeles developer said in April that it had agreed to pay more than $100 million for the 40-acre property at Crenshaw and Martin Luther King Jr. boulevards and that it planned to remake the shopping center, one of the largest in the region, into a mixed-use complex that included offices for rent in addition to shops and restaurants.

Opponents of the sale called CIM Group’s plans unwelcome gentrification — particularly objecting to the elimination of housing proposed by a previous owner — and mounted a campaign to pressure CIM and its financial backers into withdrawing from escrow.

“CIM has concluded that the community, the Mall, and CIM are best served by us stepping aside,” the company said Sunday in an Instagram post.

A group called Downtown Crenshaw created a petition to stop the sale to CIM and instead support the proposed acquisition of the mall by an unidentified group of community-centered developers.

Downtown Crenshaw garnered support from more than 150 community organizations and leaders, opposition spokesman Damien Goodmon said, and collected more than 10,000 signatures from people who opposed the sale.

Downtown Crenshaw also said CIM Group is “quietly backed by Donald Trump and Jared Kushner,” which CIM denied in a statement Monday.

“CIM Group does not have business with, nor is it ‘backed’ by Trump or Kushner, a falsehood that was prominent in the petition drive,” CIM said.

See also  “Win the World Cup? There is no Portuguese who would not expect to be at the airport.”

The 869,000-square-foot mall with a Cinemark movie theater has been mostly closed since March because of the COVID-19 pandemic, but the struggling center had previously lost anchors Walmart and Sears, which together occupied about a third of the mall’s total space. Its Macy’s department store and IHOP restaurant were not included in the planned sale.

CIM Group co-founder Shaul Kuba said in April that the company did not plan to move ahead with construction of nearly 1,000 apartments or a 400-room hotel next to the mall that had been approved by the city at the behest of Capri Capital Advisors, a Black-owned Chicago firm that bought the mall for $136 million in 2006 and spent more than $35 million on upgrades, including a makeover of the movie complex formerly operated by retired Lakers basketball star Magic Johnson.

The mall has been controlled since 2019 by a Chicago private equity fund of institutional investors called Capri Urban Investors, which arranged the sale to CIM Group.

CIM’s plan called for converting empty big-box space in the mall previously occupied by Sears and Walmart into offices and bringing its smaller stores back to life.

Opponents set out to pressure CIM and its investors, including unidentified public pension funds, Goodmon said.

“Once it became clear that we were going to apply a lot of pressure on the chief investors of CIM, the public pension funds, by exposing how their treacherous business relationship is harming the very public whose money is being used, I think CIM had to reassess the deal,” Jackie Ryan, the former president of the Leimert Park Village Merchants Assn., said in a statement Monday.

See also  European Commission refrains from extending bazooka deadline

Earlier this month, some local pastors voiced opposition to the sale and declared that CIM said it would build office skyscrapers, which wasn’t in the company’s stated plans.

“What CIM proposes is a hostile takeover of the most iconic African-American retail space west of the Mississippi River and the construction of a project that would ignore the community’s needs and wishes and possibly wipe out dozens of minority-owned businesses that are now tenants in the Baldwin Hills Crenshaw Plaza mail,” Pastor William D. Smart Jr., president of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference of Southern California, said in a June 3 statement.

In dropping out of the deal, CIM said opponents’ “false narrative” about the company had “caused the company to reflect on whether correcting the narrative and moving forward with the purchase of the Mall would be best for South L.A. and CIM at this unique time and place.”

“We have concluded that the community, the mall and CIM are best served by the company stepping aside. Despite our disappointment that falsehoods about CIM were used to rally support, we wish the community great success at the mall.”

The collapse of the deal was hailed by local Black Lives Matter activist Akili, who goes by his last name only.

“When our community comes together we can achieve anything,” Akili said. “The breadth of community support and this incredible community victory is a testament to the power of the vision behind Downtown Crenshaw and our ability to organize both in the streets and in the halls of power.”

See also  A moment of silence in Portuguese football over the tragedy in Indonesia

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

Portuguese historical films will premiere on 29 December.

Published

on

Portuguese historical films will premiere on 29 December.

Method Media Bermuda will present the documentary FABRIC: Portuguese History in Bermuda on Thursday, December 29 at the Underwater Research Institute of Bermuda.

A spokesperson said: “Method Media is proud to bring Bermuda Fabric: Portugal History to Bermuda for its 5th and 6th showing at the Bermuda Underwater Observatory. In November and December 2019, Cloth: A Portuguese Story in Bermuda had four sold-out screenings. Now that Bermuda has reopened after the pandemic, it’s time to bring the film back for at least two screenings.

“There are tickets Ptix.bm For $ 20 – sessions at 15:30 and 18:00. Both screenings will be followed by a short Q&A session.

Director and producer Milton Raboso says, “FABRIC is a definitive account of the Portuguese community in Bermuda and its 151 years of history, but it also places Bermuda, Acors and Portugal in the world history and the events that have fueled those 151 years.

“It took more than 10 years to implement FABRIC. The film was supported by the Minister of Culture, the Government of the Azores and private donors.

Bermuda Media Method [MMB] Created in 2011 by producer Milton Raposo. MMB has created content for a wide range of clients: Bermuda’s new hospital renovation, reinsurance, travel campaigns, international sports and more. MMB pays special attention to artistic, cultural and historical content.

More about

#History of Bermuda #A photo #Portuguese

Model: Everybody, Entertainment, Movies/Movies, History, News

Continue Reading

Top News

CRISTANO RONALDO CAN MAKE UP A GIANT IN CARIOCA AND PORTUGUESE TECHNICIAN SAYS ‘There will be room’

Published

on

CRISTANO RONALDO CAN MAKE UP A GIANT IN CARIOCA AND PORTUGUESE TECHNICIAN SAYS 'There will be room'

News

This is a fact or event of journalistic interest. This may be new or recent information. This also applies to the novelty of an already known situation.

Article

Mostly original text. Expresses the opinion of the author, but not necessarily the opinion of the newspaper. It can be written by journalists or specialists from different fields.

Investigative

A report that contains unknown facts or episodes with a pronounced denunciatory content. This requires special methods and resources.

Content commerce

Editorial content that offers the reader conditions for making purchases.

Analysis

This is the interpretation of the news, taking into account information that goes beyond the facts told. It uses data, brings events and scenario forecasts, as well as past contexts.

Editorial

Analytical text translating the official position of the vehicle in relation to the facts covered.

Sponsored

This is an institutional article on a topic of interest to the company sponsoring the report.

fact checking

Content that confirms the accuracy and authenticity of the disclosed information or facts.

Context

This is an article that brings subsidies, historical data and relevant information to help understand a fact or news.

special

An exciting report that details the various aspects and developments of this topic. It brings data, statistics, historical context, as well as stories of characters that are affected by or directly related to the topic in question.

Criticism

A text with detailed analysis and opinions on products, services and works of art in a wide variety of fields such as literature, music, film and visual arts.

Continue Reading

Top News

Maestro de Braga is the first Portuguese in the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba.

Published

on

Maestro de Braga is the first Portuguese in the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba.

Maestro Filipe Cunha, Artistic Director of the Philharmonic Orchestra of Braga, has been invited to conduct the Cuban National Symphony Orchestra, as announced today.

According to a statement sent by O MINHO, “he will be the first Portuguese conductor to conduct this orchestra in its entire history.”

In addition to this orchestra, the maestro will also work with the Lyceo Mozarteum de la Habana Symphony Orchestra.

The concerts will take place on 4 and 12 March 2023 at the National Theater of Cuba in Havana.

In the words of the maestro, quoted in the statement, “these will be very beautiful concerts with difficult but very complex pieces” and therefore he feels “very motivated”.

From the very beginning, Rachmaninoff’s Piano Concerto No. 2 will be performed by an Italian pianist (Luigi Borzillo), whom the maestro wants to bring to Portugal later this year. In the same concert, Mendelshon’s First Symphony will be performed.

Then, at the second concert, in the company of the Mexican clarinetist Angel Zedillo, he will perform the Louis Sfora Concerto No. 2. In this concert, the maestro also conducts Tchaikovsky’s Fifth Symphony.

“This is an international recognition of my work. An invitation that I accept with humility and great responsibility. I was surprised to learn that I would be the first Portuguese member of the Cuban National Symphony Orchestra. This is a very great honor,” the maestro said in a statement.

“I take with me the name of the city of Braga and Portugal with all the responsibility that goes with it, and I hope to do a good job there, leaving a good image and putting on great concerts. These will be very special concerts because, in addition to performing pieces that I love, especially Rachmaninov and Tchaikovsky, I will be directing two wonderful soloists who are also my friends. It will be very beautiful,” concludes Filipe Cunha.

See also  Lakers vs. Jazz score: Los Angeles clinches the top seed in the West with win over Utah

Continue Reading

Trending