Connect with us

Top News

Chinese telecommunications companies operate for decades in the US without supervision

Published

on

Chinese telecommunications companies operate for decades in the US without supervision

The trio of Chinese telecommunications companies have been operating in the US for more than two decades without proper supervision from government agencies, according to a report on Tuesday.

The bipartisan Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations found failure to respond to national security threats posed by three companies – China Telecom Americas, China Unicom Americas and ComNet USA, The Hill reports.

Since 2002, the three companies have built relationships with major US operators and established a presence throughout the country.

The Federal Communications Commission uses Team Telecom, which consists of officials in the Department of Justice, Security and Defense of the Homeland, to oversee foreign telecommunications companies, the report said.

But the Senate report noted that Team Telecom did not have the authority and legal resources to carry out that role.

He visited China Telecom Americas and ComNet USA twice in a decade and has never interacted with China Unicom Americas.

The Senate Report asked the FCC to review the three companies and make a process to revoke the authorization if necessary.

It also urges Congress to give Team Telecom the authority needed to carry out its responsibilities.

“Since the Subcommittee launched its investigation, the agencies have increased their oversight of Chinese state-owned airlines,” the report said. “The government also recently issued an executive order that established a formal committee to review national security and law enforcement risks posed by foreign operators operating in the United States.”

The report warns that because Team Telecom has limited authority, “our country, our privacy, and our information remain at risk.”

See also  Armindo Araujo became the best Portuguese for the 10th time

Senator Rob Portman (R-Ohio), chairman of the panel, said that he and Senator Tom Carper (D-Del.) Of the Democratic Party on the committee, will introduce legislation to ensure federal institutions have “the necessary monitoring and enforcement tools needed. to protect our telecommunications network going forward. “

“The Chinese Communist Party uses state-owned companies to advance cyberspace and espionage efforts against the United States, and they have been exploiting our telecommunications network for almost two decades while the federal government has historically made little effort to stop it,” Portman said in a statement.

The Trump administration has issued warnings about security threats posed by telecommunications companies and how they assisted in espionage efforts for Chinese intelligence agents.

In April, the Department of Justice, Homeland Security, Defense, State and Trade recommended that the FCC remove China Telecom from its federal authorization.

The FCC chose last year to block China Mobile from the American market.

The agency also put China’s telecommunications giant, Huawei, on the “Entity List,” a blacklist of 5G equipment makers.

President Trump signed a law banning federal agents from buying equipment from Huawei because of national security concerns.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

Racism is back on the agenda in Portuguese football

Published

on

Racism is back on the agenda in Portuguese football

See also  Hot Property: composer 'Good Wife' registered Santa Monica at home
Continue Reading

Top News

Banco de Fomento lança programas de investimento do Fundo de Capitalização e Resiliência de 650 ME

Published

on

Banco de Fomento lança programas de investimento do Fundo de Capitalização e Resiliência de 650 ME

O Banco Português de Fomento lançou esta terça-feira os dois primeiros programas de investimento do Fundo de Capitalização e Resiliência com uma dotação global de 650 milhões de euros, anunciou em comunicado.

Segundo o Banco de Fomento, o Programa de Recapitalização Estratégica eo Programa Consolidar visam “apoiar a solvabilidade e resiliência financeira de empresas nacionais estratégicas eo investimento produtivo, em crescimento e consolidação empresarial”.

O Programa de Recapitalização Estratégica tem uma dotação de até 400 milhões de euros e uma duração de até 10 anos. Através desse programa, o Banco de Fomento irá financiar empresas nacionais estratégicas não financeiras que desenvolvam atividade em Portugal.

O objetivo deste programa, afirma o Banco de Fomento, é “estimular o crescimento sustentável de longo prazo da economia portuguesa, o qual terá de responder simultaneamente à prioridade europeia da dupla transição para uma sociedade mais ecológica e mais digital, “reduzir o défice estrutural de capitalização do tecido empresarial português” e “colmatar a delapidação de capitais próprios ocorrida durante a crise pandémica em empresas não-financeiras relevantes e de potencial impacto futuro significativo”.

O Banco de Fomento poderá investir nas empresas a par com investidores privados e isso pode ser feito através de instrumentos de capital (ações ordinárias ou preferenciais), não tomando o Banco de Fomento participações iniciais iguais ou superiores a 50% do capital social ou dos direitos de voto da empresa em que investe. O investimento pode ser ainda feito em instrumentos de quase-capital (incluindo obrigações convertíveis ou outros instrumentos híbridos, como empréstimos participativos).

Já o Programa Consolidar tem uma dotação de 250 milhões de euros e visa o investimento em Pequenas e Médias Empresas e Empresas de Média Capitalização “impactadas pela pandemia de covid-19, mas economicamente viáveis ​​e com potencial de recuperação, através de fundos de capital de risco onde exista também capital privado”.

See also  Remember Brexit? Why Britain can really struggle to get out of recession

Continue Reading

Top News

Glovo puts Spanish at the head of the Portuguese market

Published

on

Glovo puts Spanish at the head of the Portuguese market

Glovo has a new leader in the Portuguese market. The food and grocery delivery platform has appointed Spaniard Joaquín Vazquez as CEO of the Portuguese market, according to an announcement made on Tuesday.

Joaquín Vazquez has so far been the CEO of the company in central and southern Spain. In his new position, a manager with a degree in sales and marketing management will lead Glovo’s next phase of growth in Portugal.

The company intends to hire more people, reach 75% of the Portuguese population and ship products outside of 90 national cities.

“Glovo is entering its fifth year of operations in Portugal and continues to grow year on year in the country – 2021 recorded growth of over 100% across all categories. We want to further diversify the products available in the app, think outside the box. and thus realize our vision: to give everyone and everyone access to everything in their cities,” says the new official, quoted in a press release.

Since 2021, technology has begun to rely on three delivery verticals: within 15 minutes (ultra-fast food and grocery delivery), within 30 minutes (food delivery), or within hours (planned purchases). Portuguese Mercadan and Spanish market Lola).

Continue Reading

Trending