Connect with us

Top News

California gives an extension to a $ 1 billion mask order

Published

on

California gives an extension to a $ 1 billion mask order

Two months after Governor Gavin Newsom announced a $ 1 billion deal with Chinese car maker BYD to buy respirators, California has not yet received the much-needed N95 mask. And on Friday, state officials announced that they would give the company a second extension to fulfill its promise.

This is the latest complication in an agreement with BYD, which has a US subsidiary headquartered in Los Angeles County, to supply 300 million highly protective respirators during the COVID-19 pandemic. The electric car maker has struggled to have an N95 mask certified by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health. BYD first failed to meet the April 30 contract deadline for its N95 mask to be certified, forcing the company to return half of California’s $ 495 million down payment.

State officials changed the agreement to grant BYD until May 31 so that the N95 mask was approved by federal regulators. The amendments allow the state to extend the deadline or for BYD to return the remaining California $ 247.5 million down payment on Friday. State officials announced Friday that they will now give BYD until June 12 to have a certified mask. The new amendment notes that if the respirator is certified by the new timeline, the country plans to buy 150 million masks, which will be shipped this month and next.

“If a vendor fails to get NIOSH certification in the new timeline, unpaid payments to the vendor will be returned to the country,” Brian Ferguson, a spokesman for the Governor’s Emergency Services Office, said in a statement.

See also  Trump reschedules Tulsa rally 'out of respect' for Juneteenth

On Friday, BYD declined to comment on this issue.

In April, California agreed to pay $ 990 million to BYD for 300 million N95 protective masks at a cost of $ 3.30 each. Even though the price was higher than the cost of masks in the non-pandemic period, countries signed contracts during mask shortages throughout the world. Respirators filter 95% of particles, providing important protection for nurses and other important workers.

While state lawmakers said they understood the country’s desire to buy critical supplies, the governor received a bipartisan backlash over how his government handled the agreement.

MPs said they learned about a $ 1 billion contract at the same time as the public, when Newsom continued MSNBC’s “The Rachel Maddow Show” to announce the agreement. Then, the contract itself is kept hidden for a month. The governor’s office at first refused to reveal documents for lawmakers and journalists – although government contracts are public under state law – citing fears that masks might be confiscated if the information was released.

In recent weeks, Newsom has underestimated the delay and said California taxpayers would not shell out if BYD did not arrive.

“We pay for what we get,” Newsom said on Friday. “We don’t pay for things we don’t get.”

Newsom added that the country was working with other suppliers and would “have reserves.”

In a statement last month to The Times, NIOSH said it told BYD on May 4 that on-site visits to factories and company production facilities in China had resulted in an “unacceptable” rating. The agency also said “the review of the documentation provided to NIOSH for the design, manufacture and quality inspection of the device is cause for concern.”

See also  North Korea no longer talks with South Korea. Experts say it can try to make a crisis

NIOSH declined to elaborate on the specific reasons for his refusal, saying the information was confidential under federal rules, but added in a statement that the decision was “based on a number of factors.”

BYD submitted a total of four applications for N95 respirators, according to a letter from the regulatory body. Three applications were rejected and the fourth was withdrawn, an NIOSH official told The Times.

Federal regulators did not respond to requests for comment Friday about the status of BYD mask certification.

Although the state has not yet received an N95 mask from BYD, the company has provided millions of surgical masks to California.

The state agreed to pay BYD $ 54.9 million to buy 100 million surgical masks. So far, more than 90 million have been sent to California, Newsom said. Over the next two months, BYD’s contract with California also gave the country the option to buy an additional 250 million N95 respirators for $ 825 million and 112.5 million surgical masks for $ 61.8 million.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

PAN wants to abolish fees for teaching Portuguese abroad

Published

on

PAN wants to abolish fees for teaching Portuguese abroad

O PAN has submitted a draft to Parliament to stop collecting tuition/entry fees for young Portuguese and descendants of Portuguese who attend or will attend Portuguese language teaching abroad.

The diploma, which was presented this Wednesday to the Assembly of the Republic, refers to a petition signed by 4,524 people that was delivered to Parliament in the previous legislature. Petition titled “Portuguese for all! Concerning the right of our children and young people to study Portuguese abroad, it proposes to “protect and strengthen the teaching of Portuguese among children and young people of Portuguese and Portuguese living abroad”.

PAN understands that the formal learning of the Portuguese language by Portuguese children and young people living abroad is “more than the right of these children and young people, is the responsibility of the state” and is a way to ensure the continuity of “Portuguese across borders”.

“Petition No. 168/XIV/2.ª gives the Assembly of the Republic the opportunity to review the state of the official network of teaching Portuguese abroad for the Portuguese and the descendants of the Portuguese, as well as to consider its problems and the causes of these problems. “, – says PAN.

The party, led by Inés Sousa Real, warns of “a small number of students studying Portuguese abroad” and justifies this fact with “mandatory attendance rates applicable to all students”.

“Currently, the school has about 20,000 students, which is a third of what it was in 2008. This situation is largely justified by the fact that in the 2012/2013 academic year there was a mandatory attendance rate for all students, which meant revenge on the idea that there are constitutional rights for the Portuguese community abroad, but they can only be exercised if they are paid, which is regrettable,” the document says.

See also  Citing coronavirus, US weighs more limits on border with Mexico that could involve citizens

PAN also reports that even during the pandemic, students had to continue paying tuition fees “despite being unable to attend remote classes due to a lack of necessary resources.”

“In the previous legislature, the PAN at the headquarters of the Education Commission requested the Minister of Education for the designation of the revenues generated from the collection of tuition fees, but never received a clear answer,” the party points out, also mentioning that he had already submitted a draft resolution about the abolition of tuition/registration fees for these young people who are “only not moving forward due to the dissolution of the Assembly of the Republic”.

“As part of this initiative, PAN, in an effort to address this clearly defined problem, is proposing to abolish tuition fees for all Portuguese and Portuguese young people who attend or will attend Portuguese language teaching, from January 1, 2023, as this makes no sense in constitutional law payable, and that students have to pay for what is already funded by the Portuguese state,” the document says.

See also: BE wants to irrigate golf courses only by reusing wastewater

Always be the first to know.
6th year in a row Consumers Choice and Five Star Award for Online Press.
Download our free app.

Continue Reading

Top News

What Makes Professional AV Solutions the Top Priority in Business Meetings

Published

on

Do you need someone to get you the most promising professional AV control solutions but don’t know specifically when the market is overflowing with choices? Well, don’t you worry anymore because we have tons of choices right at your disposal for the best experience, be it for your office or even for educational purposes.

A professional AV solution’s major work is to ensure that you can have a one-of-a-kind experience, and this stands not only for meetings but even for presentations.

The AV solution is one where there is a huge display, and each of the members in the room can see and hear the deeds of the presentation very easily. Not only that, it is different from the monotonous lectures and adds a bit of spark, making people more engaged. After all, visual aids are always great for a better impact.

Affordable AV Solutions with Biamp Systems

However, the problem many people face at this juncture is that they do not end up finding someone who offers quality services and that too by not charging a bomb. It could be difficult to shell out a lot of money for the initial setup or maintenance; hence, finding someone affordable is very important. Biamp Systems ensures you have the most amazing experience, and that too by not having to spend too much.

The idea always has been to provide the best of services close price range. However, this has not come in the way of the high quality; that is what they have taken up as a motto. If you want good services at a price range that is convenient for everyone, then Biamp Systems is the name that you should believe in.

See also  Asian stocks strengthen, boosted by 'reopening optimism'

Conclusion

So, if you want to offer a great audio-visual meeting experience to all the participants from different geographical locations, you must opt for professional AV Solutions today. Connect with team Biamp Systems and place your order.

Continue Reading

Top News

Portuguese club sign Matheus Pereira from Cruzeiro

Published

on

Portuguese club sign Matheus Pereira from Cruzeiro

Credit: Bruno Haddad / Cruzeiro

Boavista received a positive response from Cruzeiro for the final transfer of Matheus Pereira. The left-back, first of all, is the request of coach Armando Petit to replace Janis Amas, who is due to leave the club in the coming days.

O Torcedores.com It turned out that the clubs started the exchange of documents this Wednesday morning (29) and the purchase of the defender is in full swing. Now Boavista is looking to get past the red tape to finally announce the signing of the player.

Mateus Pereira has a contract with Cruzeiro until June 2023 and is on loan from Guarani until the end of the current season. The club from Sao Paulo has already been informed that it will lose the left-back in the next transfer window.

Also according to the report, Boavista will invest 3 million euros (16.6 million reais at the current price) to get 60% of the economic rights for four seasons. Cruzeiro, in turn, will keep 40% of the season ticket for future sale.

Mateus Pereira was one of the full backs, according to the Boavista Market Analysis Center, since 2021 I have kept a player in my field of vision. At first, the deal will be on a season-long lease.

However, the Minas Gerais club eventually agreed to negotiations when the Portuguese made the final choice in favor of buying the athlete. Recently, Mateus Pereira received a poll from Braga. However, Cruzeiro was not enthusiastic about this business model.

Matheus Pereira held talks with the club from Rio de Janeiro

Having failed to return to Serie A of the Brazilian championship, Cruzeiro placed Matheus Pereira on the list of “fixed” players. In January, for example, he appeared on the radar to protect Fluminense.

See also  Hot Property: Ariana Grande bought a Hollywood Hills home for $ 13.7 million

At the direction of Abel Braga, the then tricolor coach, the defender even had a verbal agreement with Fluminense. However, the board backed out of the deal shortly after signing Chris Silva from Sheriff Moldova and Mauricio Pineyda, who was at Barcelona, ​​Ecuador.

Out of coach Paulo Pezzolano’s plans, the left-back was loaned out to Guarani until the end of the current season. Bugre has 23 matches, three goals and one assist. In addition, he is one of the best players in the Brazilian Serie B position.

Matheus Pereira figures

Matheus Pereira, based on the basic categories of Cruzeiro, arrived at Toca da Raposa II in 2017. He belongs to the same generation as goalkeeper Gabriel Braçao, defender Kaka, right-back Vitinho, midfielder Mauricio, striker Cayo Rosa and others.

With these players, Matheus Pereira won the 2018 Under-20 Mineiro Championship. Two years later, coach Adilson Batista promoted the player to the first team, who decided to bet on the first team to form a squad that would play for the first time. in series B.

In two seasons, he established himself as the owner of the left back of Rapos. At the same time, he represented the club in 61 matches, scored one goal and made three assists.

This season, for example, 21-year-old Mateus Pereira has made 23 appearances for Guarani: 12 in Brazil’s Serie B, two in the Brazilian Cup and nine in the Campeonato Paulista. In addition, he scored three goals, provided an assist and spent 2033 minutes on the field.

Highlights: Cruzeiro 2 x 0 Ponte Preta (Serie B). Watch the video!

Continue Reading

Trending