Connect with us

Top News

California gas taxes will rise again amid coronavirus

Published

on

California gas taxes will rise again amid coronavirus

California gas taxes will rise July 1, but some lawmakers have called for a freeze on higher levies, citing the financial burden of the recession caused by the corona virus on millions of state residents.

The automatic increase pegged to inflation – the third increase in four years – came when a prolonged dispute over the gas tax law that came into effect three years ago flared up again in the Capitol building.

Taxes are set to increase by 3.2 cents, to 50.5 cents per gallon, and state officials expect to bring an additional $ 440 million to state coffers in the coming fiscal year. The increase was triggered by an increase in the consumer price index and was built into SB 1, a law that pushed taxes by 12 cents per gallon in 2017 and 5.6 cents last year.

Overall, the fuel tax is expected to generate $ 7 billion during the new fiscal year to pay for road and bridge repairs. But a group of Republican lawmakers said this was the wrong time to raise taxes in California, more than 6 million of whom had lost their jobs during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Assemblyman Vince Fong (R-Bakersfield), deputy chair of the Assembly Transportation Committee, said the increase was “increasingly rubbing Sacramento salt into the wounds of California citizens who are struggling with uncertainty and real financial distress” during the coronavirus crisis.

Republican Speaker Marie Waldron of Escondido said it was “inconceivable” that the state would raise the cost of California citizens today.

“Unemployment continues to rise and all of California’s ways are not affordable before the pandemic still exists – delaying the gas tax increase is the most doable,” Waldron said.

Delaying or canceling the gas tax increase will require votes from the Legislature, and Democrats who control the Senate and the State Assembly say they have no plans to take action. Newsom has not yet proposed to stop the increase, the governor’s spokesman said.

State Senator Holly Mitchell (D-Los Angeles), chair of the Senate Budget Committee, said that local governments who were financially injured because of the pandemic depend on tax revenue to repair potholes with holes.

“When we talk about stimulating our local economy and how long infrastructure projects are, I don’t think now is the time to take our feet off the pedals,” Mitchell said.

He said the effect of the tax increase on consumer pocketbooks was blunted by the fact that gas prices in California fell from what happened a year ago. The average price of a gallon of gas Friday was $ 2.98, compared with $ 3.86 the average a year earlier, according to American Automobile Assn.

Assemblyman Phil Ting (D-San Francisco), chairman of the Assembly’s Budget Committee, agreed that the Legislature must allow the increase to take effect.

“Annual [consumer price index] adjustments allow us to continue the progress we are making to repair our destroyed roads and bridges, “Ting said.

Newsom’s statewide order in mid-March to keep Californians at home during a significantly reduced pandemic in the state. Analysis by the California Department of Transportation in April showed that the volume of traffic on state roads fell by about 35% compared to the same time last year.

Although having fewer people on the road as long as a home-stay order allows the road construction project to be accelerated, it also negatively impacts the amount of money available.

The country’s estimated gas and diesel tax revenues have declined by almost 7% this year and are projected to fall 7.6% in the fiscal year beginning July 1. This reduction will mean a loss of revenue of around $ 1.2 billion over two years, although the governor’s budget estimates the state will receive $ 7 billion in fuel taxes for the new fiscal year.

For those who drive electric cars and do not pay gas taxes, the cost of upgrading the new road to $ 100 starts on July 1, but only for vehicles with no emissions with the 2020 model or newer.

Although closed business orders are reduced across the state, the prospect that a slow recovery can continue to reduce fuel tax revenues keeps officials watching closely.

“Regarding revenue projections, Caltrans is monitoring every potential impact on maintenance and construction projects going forward,” Caltrans spokesman Matt Rocco said. “However, at the moment, all ongoing projects are expected to continue without delay or cessation.”

Because California has the second highest gas price in the country, after Hawaii, the issue of fuel tax has long been debated. In 2018, voters were recalled from their current position Senator Josh Newman (D-Fullerton) for voting in favor of a gas tax increase.

Voters that year rejected an initiative that would lift the gas tax increase and instead agreed to a separate voting step, Proposition 69, which requires revenues to be spent on transportation projects.

The debate reignited last month when the Senate budget subcommittee rejected a proposal by Newsom to divert $ 130 million in interest from the State Highway Account, which was funded by gas taxes, and instead used the funds to balance the general funding budget.

Mark Monroe, assistant budget manager for the Newsom Ministry of Finance, said in a May 24 legislative hearing that transfers “are an important component of a broader balance of the state budget.”

But after the Office of the Independent Legislative Analyst suggested MPs negotiate with their lawyers for an opinion on whether such transfers are legal, both Democratic and Republican legislators said such actions would be contrary to what was promised to voters in Proposition 69.

“I think this is a broken promise,” Senator Mike McGuire (D-Healdsburg) said of the proposal. “I believe this money can be spent better the intended way, improving California’s roads.”

McGuire noted the reduction in vehicle use during the pandemic had cost the state gas tax by $ 600 million for repairs.

“We have decreased revenue because of the situation we are facing, and we will need every penny to go to the road,” said Senator Brian Dahle (R-Bieber), who opposed the transfer of $ 130 million to public funds. “I don’t think this is the time.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

2021 Ford Bronco website crashed as reservations opened

Published

on

By

2021 Ford Bronco site crashed as reservations opened
  • Reservation textbooks for the 2021 Ford Bronco opened on Monday night.
  • The “stampede of reservations” crashed the reservation internet site.
  • The Bronco’s cult-like subsequent and off-highway capabilities make it a highly expected vehicle for a good several people today.
  • Stop by Enterprise Insider’s homepage for extra stories.

Approximately 25 decades have passed since we’ve gotten a new Ford Bronco. On Monday night, Ford altered that with the 2021 Bronco.

But this time all-around, customers will get 3 body variations to choose from — a two-doorway, four-doorway, or the smallish SUV Sport model — additionally a myriad of trims and possibilities. And the largest kicker of all? The base-model Bronco two-door will have a sub-$30,000 starting selling price

Ford opened its reservation publications on Monday evening, and predictably, the website was immediately flooded by interested customers, proficiently crashing it. 

 

“We were being blown absent by the stampede of reservations last evening,” the official Ford Twitter account tweeted on Tuesday morning, acknowledging the web page complications, “but relaxation assured the site is entirely up and running now.”

 

The enthusiasm helps make feeling.

The really past Bronco arrived off the Michigan Truck Plant assembly line on June 12, 1996, according to Ford. But long just before creation ended, Broncos ended up beloved for their off-road abilities and vintage style and design. They were collector’s things, fashion icons, and every little thing in involving. 

For the next quarter of a century, the Ford lineup remained Bronco-much less. As the automaker tells it, the market place shifted more favorably toward the four-door Expedition and it had to remedy. 

But with the latest surge in recognition of SUVs and pickup vehicles — mainly, the big vehicles — there actually wasn’t a much better time to convey back the Bronco. It seriously would seem like there can by no means be way too numerous SUV choices currently.

Enjoy for off-roading and go-anywhereness under no circumstances went absent, as evidenced by fans and consumers of the off-roading Ford F-150 Raptor pickup truck. Matching that enthusiasm with the return of a system-on-body, cartoonishly boxy 4×4 off-roader with a famed nameplate and a cultish subsequent to obstacle the Jeep Wrangler with? No speculate consumers say the site crashed. 

Now it really is just a matter of seeing how lots of Broncos Ford manages to offer — and if Jeep has anything to get worried about.

Get the most current Ford stock selling price listed here.

Continue Reading

Top News

Florida, Texas and California account for about one-fifth of the world’s new coronavirus cases

Published

on

By

Florida, Texas and California account for about one-fifth of the world's new coronavirus cases

Some one in five new cases of coronavirus reported around the world came from just three U.S. states — Florida, Texas and California, a new NBC News tally revealed Tuesday.

The 27,574 cases recorded in those states Monday accounted for 18.9 percent of the global total and represented more than a third of the 61,751 new cases reported in the U.S.

Meanwhile, the two-week death total in Texas was up 99 percent over the previous two weeks.

In Florida, the two-week death total rose by nearly 84 percent and in California it jumped by nearly 27 percent.

As of Tuesday afternoon, there were 3,407,556 confirmed coronavirus cases in the U.S. and the death toll was 136,832, NBC News figures showed.

Florida reported 9,194 more cases and 133 deaths from Monday. Texas added 7,489 more cases and 59 deaths. California recorded 5,063 more cases and 40 deaths.

Arizona, another state that has seen a big increase in new cases in recent weeks, reported 4,273 more infections and 92 more deaths.

Texas’ Hispanic community has been especially hard hit of late and Rep. Joaquin Castro, a Democrat whose district includes the city of San Antonio, blamed President Donald Trump and Texas Gov. Greg Abbott for being “slow to test people, slow to trace the infection and slow to treat people.”

They “tried to pretend like it wasn’t a big problem because they didn’t want to end up on the news every day the way New York did, and that’s had an incredible effect on this community, and in the last three weeks, it’s really exploded,” Castro told MSBNC’s Garrett Haake.

Trump and Abbott have both been accused to not moving fast enough to combat the coronavirus and it wasn’t until this month that the Texas governor mandated wear a mask in public. Trump wore a mask for the first time in public just two days ago and earlier this month he predicted the pandemic would “just disappear.”

The staggering new sums emerged on the same day that Admiral Brett Giroir, the Assistant Secretary of Health, insisted on “Today” that “we’re turning the corner on the current outbreak.”

“We are all very concerned about the outbreak,” Giroir said. “About half the cases are in four states, Texas, California, Florida, and Arizona. But we are in a much different place now than we were several months ago, a much better place.”

Maybe. But 41 states have seen an increase in cases over the last two weeks and eight states have seen a spike of more than 100 percent over the last 14 days, according to NBC News’ Medical Unit.

And when Vice President Mike Pence arrived Tuesday in Louisiana to meet with local officials about the pandemic, Attorney General Mike Landry was not there to greet him on the tarmac because he has tested positive, local media reported.

“Out of an overabundance of caution with the Vice President coming to our state, I was tested for Cornavirus,” Landry wrote in an email to staffers. “Though experiencing no symptoms, I tested positive for COVID-19.”

In other developments:

  • U.S. Rep. Morgan Griffith, a Virginia Republican and member of the arch-conservative Freedom Caucus, announced he tested positive for the coronavirus. His diagnosis came five days after he and other members of the caucus appeared at a press conference where they stressed the need to reopen schools in the fall despite the pandemic. While Griffith brought a mask along, an NBC News producer who was there noted that Griffith didn’t wear it much.
  • Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan warned that he would shut down bars and eateries that fail to adhere to social distancing requirements or insist that patrons wear face mask while inside. “The vast majority of bars and restaurants in our state and in compliance, but some are flagrantly violating the law and endangering public health,” Hogan wrote. A Republican, Hogan has drawn widespread praise for taking decisive steps — well before the White House acted — to stop the spread of the coronavirus in his state.
  • The National Center for Assisted Living, which represents the nursing home industry, warned that the spike in new COVID-19 cases could “lead to a dramatic increase in cases in long term facilities.” In a letter to the National Governors Association, the group said speeding up testing is key to preventing another calamity.
  • Sen. Lindsay Graham, a South Carolina Republican and Trump ally, warned against any attempt to “undermine” Dr. Anthony Fauci, the the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. NBC News has reported that the White House was seeking to discredit Fauci, whose more sober assessments of the pandemic have been colliding with the rosier outlook that Trump has been pushing.

    “We don’t have a Dr. Fauci problem,” Graham said. “I have all the respect in the world for Doctor Fauci, I think any effort to undermine him is not going to be productive, quite frankly.” Trump has also denied trying to torpedo Fauci.

“The amount of time it is taking to receive testing results is hurting the ability of long term facilities to fight the virus,” the letter states. “For nursing homes and assisted living communities to protect residents and staff, we need on-site testing with reliable and rapid results.

There was also a smidgen of troubling news out of New York, a state that back in April was posting Texas-sized case numbers and since then has succeeded in flattening the coronavirus curve.

Gov. Andrew Cuomo reported that 1.5 percent of the 60,045 COVID-19 tests performed on Monday came back positive.That is the highest positive rate in the state since June 5.

Cuomo also reported five more coronavirus deaths on Monday.

Two days earlier, the New York State Department of Health reporting there were zero COVID-19 deaths on Saturday the first time that has happened since March 13.

Continue Reading

Top News

Chiefs concur to a 4-calendar year offer with star defensive lineman Chris Jones

Published

on

By

The Kansas Town Chiefs have arrived at a four-calendar year offer with offer with star defensive lineman Chris Jones, in accordance to several studies.The information was initially noted by ESPN’s Chris Mortensen.The news on Jones’ offer will come a 7 days after the Chiefs signed a deal with quarterback Patrick Mahomes to make him the best paid out player in sporting activities background.Jones explained from the beginning he wanted a very long-term deal with the Chiefs, but the club applied a non-exclusive franchise tag on him in March and the two sides had right up until July 15 to do the job out a new offer. As negotiations progressed into July, Jones signaled he was not pleased with the group by tweeting he may well sit out the 2020 time. When requested on Twitter about signing the franchise tag that would have tied him to the Chiefs on a a single-yr, $16 million deal, Jones responded, “Or I will not play. Leveon Bell instructed me about this.” Jones was chatting about his mate and star running again, who refused to signal a franchise tag and sat out an whole year.But that’s all in the previous now, immediately after the Chiefs have signed Jones to a deal that retains one particular of the crucial figures in the Super Bowl victory in Kansas Metropolis for quite some time.Jones was a Pro Bowl selection in 2019 and by means of 61 video games he has 33 sacks and 97 solo tackles. He’s greatly thought of as a person of the top defensive linemen in the NFL.

The Kansas Metropolis Chiefs have achieved a 4-12 months offer with deal with star defensive lineman Chris Jones, in accordance to several stories.

The information was to start with documented by ESPN’s Chris Mortensen.

The information on Jones’ deal arrives a 7 days after the Chiefs signed a offer with quarterback Patrick Mahomes to make him the maximum paid out player in athletics background.

Jones mentioned from the starting he wished a prolonged-time period deal with the Chiefs, but the club utilized a non-special franchise tag on him in March and the two sides experienced until finally July 15 to get the job done out a new deal.

As negotiations progressed into July, Jones signaled he wasn’t happy with the team by tweeting he could possibly sit out the 2020 period.

When questioned on Twitter about signing the franchise tag that would have tied him to the Chiefs on a just one-year, $16 million deal, Jones responded, “Or I won’t enjoy. Leveon Bell instructed me about this.” Jones was talking about his close friend and star managing back again, who refused to sign a franchise tag and sat out an full time.

But that’s all in the past now, right after the Chiefs have signed Jones to a deal that keeps a single of the important figures in the Super Bowl victory in Kansas City for rather some time.

Jones was a Professional Bowl assortment in 2019 and by means of 61 games he has 33 sacks and 97 solo tackles. He’s commonly deemed as a single of the top defensive linemen in the NFL.

Continue Reading

Trending