Connect with us

Top News

ASU withdrew a job offer to the new dean of journalism for racism

Published

on

PHOENIX – Arizona State University canceled a job offer to the dean of a newly hired prestigious journalism school following allegations of racism and ill-treatment of students.

Mark Searle University Provost said in an email on Sunday that Sonya Forte Duhé would not lead Walter Cronkite’s School of Journalism and Mass Communication in Phoenix, Republic of Arizona reported.

Duhé is scheduled to take over July 1 as dean of the school and CEO of Arizona PBS.

Duhé faces charges from nearly two dozen students at Loyola University in New Orleans, where he is director of the School of Communication and Design.

The students told State Press, the Arizona State student newspaper, that he was involved in behavior that they found racist and discriminatory against colored students and LGBTQ students.

More than two dozen of the most prominent faculties on campus signed a letter to President of the University of Michael Crow over the weekend saying Duhé being the dean would damage the reputation and finances of the school and affect the ability of students to succeed.

A online petition started by students who called on the university to revoke Duhé’s job offer to collect nearly 4,000 signatures.

Duhé hasn’t responded to requests for comment during the past week.

Committee members had “high confidence” they chose the right person for the job when the search committee chose Duhé, Searle said.

“I now find that the future of Walter Cronkite’s School of Journalism and Mass Communication and our public television stations will be better served by not progressing with Dr. Duhé as their leader,” Searle wrote in an email to the Cronkite community.

See also  Ex-Honolulu officer sentenced to 4 a long time for forcing homeless male to lick urinal

Searle said he would announce a temporary dean this week.

Cronkite’s old school dean, Christopher Callahan, accepted the position of president of Pacific University in California.

Continue Reading
Click to comment