Connect with us

Top News

$ 600 unemployment benefit ends July 31. What is next?

Published

on

$ 600 unemployment benefit ends July 31. What is next?

For many unemployed Americans, an additional $ 600 per week in federal unemployment insurance provides stability during an unstable economic period. But how long does the benefit last?

When the coronavirus pandemic first flared in mid-March, causing the domino effect of an immediate event cancellation and business closure, spending disappeared almost overnight. In a quick step to flush cash through the economy, the federal government approves $ 2-trillion Coronavirus Assistance, Assistance, and Economic Safety Act.

Among other things, the CARES Act meets ordinary state unemployment insurance – which can vary from as low as $ 213 per week in Alabama to $ 555 in Massachusetts (national average is $ 378) – an additional $ 600 per week.

The benefits will end July 31. But with the pandemic still strong, MPs are debating what will happen next. These are some of the several proposals on the table.

In early May, a group of Democratic legislators proposed extending the benefits of $ 600 per week past July 31 and then removing them once the economy stabilized.

Worker Assistance and Safety Act, introduced by Rep. Don Beyer (D-Va.) And Sens. Jack Reed (DR.I.) and Michael Bennet (D-Colo.), Will extend benefits of $ 600 per week for 30 days after the president’s emergency declaration. Then they propose the gradual abolition of funding, with changes triggered by each country’s unemployment rate. Countries with the highest unemployment rates will receive $ 450 per week to start, and then will drop to $ 300. Countries with lower unemployment rates will start with a weekly compensation of $ 350, which will drop to $ 200.

See also  Property Heat: Greg Norman built a Colorado farm for $ 40 million

Eligibility for funding will also be extended by several weeks. Cutting additional benefits at the end of July would be “a human and economic disaster,” Beyer wrote a statement.

“If you [unemployed] in a state with a [lower] unemployment rate, it is frustrating because your benefits are reduced. But you won the lottery because you were more likely to get a job back, “he explained Alix Gould-Werth, Washington director for equitable family economic growth policies.

Another proposal came a month ago, when Democrat House released the $ 3 trillion HEROES Act, which would extend unemployment benefits to January, among other stimulus proposals. But the Republican Party, which holds a majority in the Senate, quickly dropped the law as a progressive “wish list”.

As recently as last month, many Republicans, including President Trump, balking at extending benefits last July. But given the millions of unemployed Americans, many Republican lawmakers have now recognized the need for ongoing assistance.

“With the unemployment rate so high and with a recession that will last until next year, it is very important to maintain generous unemployment insurance, because it helps workers, it helps businesses because workers spend their money on business, and helps the community,” said Peter Ganong, assistant professor at Harris School of Public Policy at the University of Chicago.

Hill reports that several Republicans are starting to merge around the Sen. solution. Rob Portman (R-Ohio): bonus back to work $ 450 per week. Someone who returns to work will receive $ 450 per week for six weeks, above the regular wage. Coupled with federal minimum wages, Portman estimates, a $ 450 weekly bonus will make returning to work more attractive than continuing unemployment insurance. The federal government will save by cutting spending by $ 600 per week down by $ 150, the state will save unemployment and workers will benefit from incentives, Portman said.

See also  "There will be no social distance" at the July 4 Mount Rushmore event attended by Trump, the governor said

“That means that you will make a little more in the workforce than in unemployment,” Portman said on the floor of the Senate. “What’s more, the bonus of returning to this job will put additional money in the hands of people who have lost their jobs due to the health crisis, which should provide additional stimulus to the economy which has experienced a historical decline in consumer spending.”

Some lawmakers worry that people make more money for unemployment than they do in their pre-pandemic work, preventing employers from getting their workers back. A Congressional Budget Office Report shows that if the $ 600 per week allowance continues through January, around five out of six recipients will receive more money from weekly benefits than those who will work during those months. The number of jobs will be lower until next year too, he said.

However, with high unemployment rates, Gould-Werth said, the problem is not getting people out of unemployment to return to work.

“People will really go back to work with $ 600 in benefits,” he said. “It’s very simple – we just don’t have enough work for workers to return.”

Paycheck Security Act, proposed by Sens. Bernie Sanders (D-Vt.), Mark Warner (D-Va.), Doug Jones (D-Ala.) And Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.), Will try to overcome that problem by funding small businesses to re-employ workers who are dismissed or dismissed and cover their health benefits. Proposal, which garnered support Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), Will provide a tax credit that can be returned to eligible small businesses up to $ 90,000 per employee per year, according to a news release.

See also  SoftBank hires Goldman Sachs to discover sale selections for Arm: Sources

Negotiations for future unemployment benefits are likely to heat up in the coming weeks. You can find your representatives and senators in Congress to provide feedback here.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

Portuguese historical films will premiere on 29 December.

Published

on

Portuguese historical films will premiere on 29 December.

Method Media Bermuda will present the documentary FABRIC: Portuguese History in Bermuda on Thursday, December 29 at the Underwater Research Institute of Bermuda.

A spokesperson said: “Method Media is proud to bring Bermuda Fabric: Portugal History to Bermuda for its 5th and 6th showing at the Bermuda Underwater Observatory. In November and December 2019, Cloth: A Portuguese Story in Bermuda had four sold-out screenings. Now that Bermuda has reopened after the pandemic, it’s time to bring the film back for at least two screenings.

“There are tickets Ptix.bm For $ 20 – sessions at 15:30 and 18:00. Both screenings will be followed by a short Q&A session.

Director and producer Milton Raboso says, “FABRIC is a definitive account of the Portuguese community in Bermuda and its 151 years of history, but it also places Bermuda, Acors and Portugal in the world history and the events that have fueled those 151 years.

“It took more than 10 years to implement FABRIC. The film was supported by the Minister of Culture, the Government of the Azores and private donors.

Bermuda Media Method [MMB] Created in 2011 by producer Milton Raposo. MMB has created content for a wide range of clients: Bermuda’s new hospital renovation, reinsurance, travel campaigns, international sports and more. MMB pays special attention to artistic, cultural and historical content.

More about

#History of Bermuda #A photo #Portuguese

Model: Everybody, Entertainment, Movies/Movies, History, News

See also  Hot Property: John Stamos sells romantic retreats
Continue Reading

Top News

CRISTANO RONALDO CAN MAKE UP A GIANT IN CARIOCA AND PORTUGUESE TECHNICIAN SAYS ‘There will be room’

Published

on

CRISTANO RONALDO CAN MAKE UP A GIANT IN CARIOCA AND PORTUGUESE TECHNICIAN SAYS 'There will be room'

News

This is a fact or event of journalistic interest. This may be new or recent information. This also applies to the novelty of an already known situation.

Article

Mostly original text. Expresses the opinion of the author, but not necessarily the opinion of the newspaper. It can be written by journalists or specialists from different fields.

Investigative

A report that contains unknown facts or episodes with a pronounced denunciatory content. This requires special methods and resources.

Content commerce

Editorial content that offers the reader conditions for making purchases.

Analysis

This is the interpretation of the news, taking into account information that goes beyond the facts told. It uses data, brings events and scenario forecasts, as well as past contexts.

Editorial

Analytical text translating the official position of the vehicle in relation to the facts covered.

Sponsored

This is an institutional article on a topic of interest to the company sponsoring the report.

fact checking

Content that confirms the accuracy and authenticity of the disclosed information or facts.

Context

This is an article that brings subsidies, historical data and relevant information to help understand a fact or news.

special

An exciting report that details the various aspects and developments of this topic. It brings data, statistics, historical context, as well as stories of characters that are affected by or directly related to the topic in question.

Criticism

A text with detailed analysis and opinions on products, services and works of art in a wide variety of fields such as literature, music, film and visual arts.

Continue Reading

Top News

Maestro de Braga is the first Portuguese in the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba.

Published

on

Maestro de Braga is the first Portuguese in the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba.

Maestro Filipe Cunha, Artistic Director of the Philharmonic Orchestra of Braga, has been invited to conduct the Cuban National Symphony Orchestra, as announced today.

According to a statement sent by O MINHO, “he will be the first Portuguese conductor to conduct this orchestra in its entire history.”

In addition to this orchestra, the maestro will also work with the Lyceo Mozarteum de la Habana Symphony Orchestra.

The concerts will take place on 4 and 12 March 2023 at the National Theater of Cuba in Havana.

In the words of the maestro, quoted in the statement, “these will be very beautiful concerts with difficult but very complex pieces” and therefore he feels “very motivated”.

From the very beginning, Rachmaninoff’s Piano Concerto No. 2 will be performed by an Italian pianist (Luigi Borzillo), whom the maestro wants to bring to Portugal later this year. In the same concert, Mendelshon’s First Symphony will be performed.

Then, at the second concert, in the company of the Mexican clarinetist Angel Zedillo, he will perform the Louis Sfora Concerto No. 2. In this concert, the maestro also conducts Tchaikovsky’s Fifth Symphony.

“This is an international recognition of my work. An invitation that I accept with humility and great responsibility. I was surprised to learn that I would be the first Portuguese member of the Cuban National Symphony Orchestra. This is a very great honor,” the maestro said in a statement.

“I take with me the name of the city of Braga and Portugal with all the responsibility that goes with it, and I hope to do a good job there, leaving a good image and putting on great concerts. These will be very special concerts because, in addition to performing pieces that I love, especially Rachmaninov and Tchaikovsky, I will be directing two wonderful soloists who are also my friends. It will be very beautiful,” concludes Filipe Cunha.

See also  Property Heat: Greg Norman built a Colorado farm for $ 40 million

Continue Reading

Trending