Connect with us

Top News

World Bank: Coronavirus crisis can push 60 million people into ‘extreme poverty’

Published

on

A deserted shopping mall in the city centre of Stockholm is pictured on March 17, 2020, as many activities came to a halt or slowed down due to the spread of the novel coronavirus. (Photo by Fredrik SANDBERG / TT News Agency / AFP) / Sweden OUT (Photo by FREDRIK SANDBERG/TT News Agency/AFP via Getty Images)

The warning signaled a deeper pessimism among economists about the scale and duration of the fall from what banks call an “unprecedented crisis.”

The World Bank, which provides loans and grants to the governments of poor countries, predicted a month ago that this year would mark a historic step back for inequality, with a pandemic “likely to lead to the first increase in global poverty since 1998.”
It said in a blog post on April 20 that “best estimate ” is that 49 million people will be forced into extreme poverty, which by definition banks have to live on less than $ 1.90 per day.

The deteriorating outlook is caused by the spread of economic activity and “erasing much of the recent progress in poverty alleviation,” World Bank President David Malpass said in a statement.

The recent surge in cases in several countries has also forced banks to implement what they consider to be the “biggest and fastest crisis response” ever. It said emergency relief efforts had reached 100 developing countries, which are home to 70% of the world’s population.

The World Bank aims to help vulnerable people by giving grants and loans to individuals and businesses, and defer debt payments to some of the world’s poorest countries. Overall, it’s been promised at the very least $ 160 billion to combat the virus so far.

Some of the poorest people in the world have begun to feel the pain.

Migrant workers around the world lost their jobs because the pandemic stopped working in various industries. As a result, the World Bank estimates that global remittances, or money sent home to families, could drop 20%, or around $ 100 billion, this year.
& # 39; I can't send money back home ': How is the lifeline for the poorest people in the world cut off because Covid-19

Tens of millions of people in Africa may become poor as a result of the crisis, human rights leaders warned Wednesday.

See also  "Vagabundo" entered the Portuguese language in the 14th century - Jornal da USP.

“We cannot stand by and hope that this most virulent and deadly disease passes through Africa, which is home to many of the poorest countries in the world who are not in a position to handle such a pandemic,” UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Michelle Bachelet and Chair of the Commission Africa for Human Rights and Society Solomon Dersso said in a joint statement.

Country & # 39; a large pile of debt turned into a disaster
The World Bank said last month that it expected people in sub-Saharan Africa to suffer the most. At present, 39 of the 100 World Bank targeted countries are there, and at least 23 million residents in the region projected to go to the extreme poverty due to coronavirus outbreaks.
South Asia also tends to suffer. In addition to Nigeria and the Democratic Republic of the Congo, World Bank economists the word last month that India, one of the most populous countries in the world, was estimated to see “the biggest change in the number of poor people,” with around 12 million affected.
“The place where the virus takes the highest casualties depends mainly on two factors,” wrote analysts at the bank blog post. “The impact of the virus on economic activity and … the number of people living close to the international poverty line.”

– Sarah Dean from CNN contributed to this report.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

Thiago Monteiro in 14th and 15th before the arrival of the WTCR in Portugal – Observer

Published

on

Thiago Monteiro in 14th and 15th before the arrival of the WTCR in Portugal - Observer

Portuguese driver Thiago Monteiro (Honda) finished 14th and 15th this Sunday in the two World Touring Car Cup (WTCR) races held in Aragon, Spain, which precede the Vila Real race.

The Portuguese rider always rode in the tail, he was hindered by the fact that Honda had more excess weight than his rivals.

“If they told me that I would be in this position, I would not believe it. But the reality is that we have not been able to withstand a number of adversities. From the moment when the pace is much lower than other rivals, we are prepared in advance. It’s heartbreaking,” the Portuguese rider began his explanation after the fourth round of the championship.

The Portuguese rider struggled to find the best balance in his Civic, as did his teammate, Hungarian Attila Tassi.

THE PUB • CONTINUE TO READ BELOW

“We still had problems, and we could not reach the full potential of the car. It was very difficult, unpleasant and discouraging, especially since we are going to Vila Real and this scenario does not suit me. But we will have to continue to look for our own path and believe that everything will work out, ”Thiago Monteiro concluded.

Belgian Giles Magnus (Audi) and Spaniard Mikel Ascona (Hyundai) won both races on Sunday.

Ascona leads the league with 129 points, while Thiago Monteiro is 16th with 12 points.

The WTCR competition in Portugal will take place next weekend in Vila Real.

Continue Reading

Top News

Joao Almeida became the champion of Portugal in cycling

Published

on

Joao Almeida became the champion of Portugal in cycling

This Sunday, Portuguese cyclist João Almeida (UAE-Emirates) became the Portuguese champion in cross-country cycling for the first time, winning the elite national championships held in Mogaduro.

In his first online race since Joao Almeida was forced to pull out of the Vuelta Italia after testing positive for the coronavirus, he won his first national title since becoming time trial champion in 2021.

Almeida crossed the finish line in Mogadora, covering the 167.5 km distance in 4:08.42 hours, 52 seconds behind Thiago Antunes (Efapel) second, Fabio Costa (Glassdrive-Q8-Anicolor) third, and Rui Oliveira (UAE). – Emirates), fourth.

In the end, João Almeida stated that he was “very pleased” with the victory, admitting that the race “went very well” and thanking his teammates.

Former national champion José Neves (W52-FC Porto) did not finish the race, as did Rafael Reis (Glassdrive-Q8-Anicolor) who won the time trial title on Friday.

See also  Ruth Bader Ginsburg hospitalized for attainable infection
Continue Reading

Top News

Portuguese military admits ‘it will take time’ until territory is taken under control

Published

on

Portuguese military admits 'it will take time' until territory is taken under control

The “path” chosen for about a year in the fight against rebel groups in the province of Cabo Delgado in northern Mozambique is “the right one,” Brigadier General Nuno Lemos Pires said in an interview with Lusa.

“Now, while the situation is not fully under control, we all understand that, as in any other counter-terrorism situation in the world, it will take a lot of time,” added the head of the European military training mission, although he acknowledged that this “ does not mean that sometimes there are no fears and failures.

However, “this is part of what constitutes an action taken against terrorists who operate in a very wide area, who in themselves have the initiative and the ability to hide in a very wide area,” he said.

In fact, he stressed, many of the recent attacks that have taken place in the south of Cabo Delgado in recent weeks are due to the fact that Islamist extremist rebels had to “flight from the north” of the province.

“Because this was a consolidated military operation carried out in close cooperation between the Mozambique Defense and Security Forces (FSS), [e com as forças d]Rwanda and SAMIM (Southern African Development Community Mission (SADC) in Mozambique), who were clearing out the intervention areas that existed in the area, the reaction of many terrorists was to flee the area, go further south, where they were not pursued. , and make new attacks,” he explained.

“In such cases, the initiative almost always belongs to the terrorists. There are few of them, they hide among the population, they move over very large territories, with a lot of dense vegetation, it becomes very difficult to find them, but you can easily move,” he continued.

See also  Instructors are so worried about returning to school that they're preparing wills

On the other hand, the Portuguese general emphasized, “it is now difficult for these groups” “to concentrate power and forces for large-scale operations, as was the case three years ago during the conquests, such as Mocimboa da Praia or Palma.” ,” he said.

“They don’t have that ability. Many of these attacks even demonstrate [estratégias] survival [clássicas das guerrilhas]. They’re looking for food, they’re looking for supplies, they’re searching deep down for a place where they can survive, because the area is already under quite a lot of control. [por parte] Mozambique FSS, Rwandan forces and SAMIM,” he explained.

In this context, Nuno Lemos Pires highlighted the “quick response” of the Mozambican authorities to each of these developments, starting with head of state Filipe Nyusi.

“I think it is exemplary that the moment there is a movement or a series of significant attacks in other areas, we immediately see the President of Mozambique heading north, linking up with his Chief of the General Staff of the Armed Forces (CEMGFA). , with the Minister of Defense, with the Minister of the Interior, and outline plans on the ground for a quick change of equipment and the ability to respond to such movements,” he said.

During one such trip to northern Mozambique in mid-June, Mozambican Interior Minister Arsenia Massingue said that Mozambican police were informing the “enemy” – the rebel forces in Cabo Delgado – about the positions of the FDS and allied forces on the ground.

However, Lemos Pires downplayed the situation. “We must be aware that there are infiltrations in any political system. It’s happening everywhere. Ignoring this dimension is tantamount to ignoring what is happening everywhere,” he said.

See also  US coronavirus: More than 940 deaths claimed in a single working day

“I don’t know of a single case of insurgency, counterinsurgency, terrorist or counter-terrorist combat where these leaks didn’t happen frequently. You need to be careful. .

In addition to the vastness of the territory that has been the scene of conflict and the topography favorable to insurgent guerrilla strategies, the porous borders with Tanzania to the north of Cabo Delgado and Malawi to the northwest also pose a danger. challenges the SDF and allied forces of SAMIM and Rwanda.

Lemos Pires also relativized this question. “We are talking about transnational terrorism, and it is good to understand that the situation in the north of Mozambique, in Cabo Delgado, is not limited and is not limited – and has never been limited – exclusively and exclusively to this region. A phenomenon that exists throughout Africa. , namely in Central Africa,” he said.

The UETM commander even took advantage of this circumstance to formulate an “extended response” to “a broad problem, a regional one, and the solution must also be a broad regional one.”

Therefore, “it’s very good what we see here on the ground, in fact, this is the unification of the efforts of regional African forces to try to deal with a problem that really worries everyone,” he concluded.

“What happens in one region can affect another. That is why it is in everyone’s interest that these groups be fought, detained and that the narrative that they are currently spreading can be counteracted – we hope that there are fewer and fewer successes,” the Portuguese general stressed.

NPS // PYAA

See also  "Vagabundo" entered the Portuguese language in the 14th century - Jornal da USP.

Lusa/The End

Continue Reading

Trending