Connect with us

Top News

Trump threatened to withdraw the Republican convention from North Carolina

Published

on

Brian Stelter: How will history remember this moment?

Trump argues that Cooper “cannot guarantee” that the arena can be filled according to capacity.

“I love the State of North Carolina, so I insist on holding a Republican National Convention in Charlotte at the end of August,” Trump said in a series of tweets. “Unfortunately, the Democratic Governor, @RoyCooperNC is still in a Shutdown mood & cannot guarantee that in August we will be allowed to be fully present at the Arena. In other words, we will spend millions of dollars building the Arena to a very high standard without even knowing if the Governor Democrats will allow Republicans to fully occupy this space. “

He continued, “Plans are being made by thousands of enthusiastic Republican supporters, and others, to head to beautiful North Carolina in August. They must be immediately answered by the Governor, whether the space will be left completely or not. If not, we will be forced to search, with all the work and economic development it carries, other Republican National Convention sites. This is not something I want to do. Thank you, and I LOVE the people of North Carolina! “

The tweak really closes the eyes of party officials and those involved in convention planning, who have repeatedly argued that health and safety will take precedence. Officials insist planning for the convention is on track.

However, Vice President Mike Pence echoed Trump on Monday, telling Fox News that the convention could be moved “if necessary” and listed several states that could be alternative locations.

“This is an issue that we have been discussing because this national convention really takes months to organize and prepare and there are states across the country – we think of Texas, we think of Florida, Georgia, the last two countries I visited last week who have made extraordinary progress in reopening their communities and reopening their economies, “Pence said.

See also  Fireplace continue to burns on USS Bonhomme Richard, result in mysterious

Pence said Trump’s request for Cooper was “very reasonable.”

“We all want to be in Charlotte, we love North Carolina, but having a feeling now is really important because of the rules and regulations involved, and we look forward to working with Governor Cooper, getting quick responses, and, if necessary, moving national conventions “to a country that is further about reopening and can say with confidence that we can gather there,” he said.

The National Committee and Republican conventions did not immediately respond to CNN’s request to provide comments and questions, whether other location prospects had been discussed. A Trump campaign official referred CNN to the President’s tweet and the vice president’s comments on the topic, refused to respond to CNN’s question about whether the campaign was informed that Trump’s tweet was coming.

While the President called for “guarantees” from North Carolina, the suggestion ignored uncertainties surrounding the summer level of coronavirus.

Cooper, who is ready to be re-elected in November, announced last week that the country would advance to the next stage of the reopening plan, with restaurants, barber shops and salons among places that could be opened with restrictions on Friday night, while the gym , bars and film theaters will remain closed.

Both Cooper and Charlotte Democrat mayor Vi Lyles said their recommendations and decisions about the convention would be guided by science, not politics. Business owners see conventions as a potential lifeline after more than two months of economic disaster.

“This is not politics. It is not emotional. It is based on health experts, data and science and that’s all for everyone to see,” Cooper told CNN. “Nobody likes or dislikes the others.”

The Republican Convention, which is scheduled to be held in the same city arena where President Barack Obama accepted his candidacy for a second term in 2012, was flooded with uncertainty as party officials determine how to navigate the presidential campaign during a public health crisis.

See also  Renamed Bear Fire to the Western Zone of the North Complex 2,000 buildings destroyed or damaged according to Cal Fire - CBS Sacramento

Cooper said the Republican meeting would be treated like another big event and it was still unclear whether the concert or the NFL would return this summer and this fall. The crowd was still limited to 10 people, under the governor’s orders, with the reopening phase still to come.

Last month, GOP Chair Ronna McDaniel told reporters the Republican National Committee, Trump’s campaign, and the host committee were moving “eagerly” in planning conventions, but would assess in late June or early July whether contingencies were needed due to the corona virus.

“We do not think at this time we should turn to alternative plans, but of course, we will monitor the situation and adjust it,” he said at a briefing briefing. McDaniel also said, “We will not hold a virtual convention.”

It remains unclear what the adjusted GOP conventions can look like and how social distance guidelines will be observed in the coming months. A “traditional convention” usually consists of thousands of supporters packed into the arena, including key party officials, during the formal nomination process.

Trump’s chirp comes amid criticism because his weekend spends golf at his club in Virginia and a few hours before he is set to commemorate the Memorial Day holiday by participating in a bouquet placed at the Arlington National Cemetery and a ceremony at Fort McHenry in Baltimore.

This story has been updated with additional developments Monday.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

Domestic consumption rises and supports Portugal’s GDP growth

Published

on

Domestic consumption rises and supports Portugal's GDP growth

Despite inflation, private household consumption increased between July and September this year. This increase allowed the Portuguese economy to continue growing in the third quarter. The growth was 4.9% compared to the same period last year.

The past few months have confirmed a trend towards sharp inflation and rising costs such as mortgage payments for those with mortgages. Difficulties that are currently forcing families to consume less than a year ago. But, compared to the second quarter of 2022, from July to September this year, private consumption increased by 1.1%. Domestic demand supported the slight growth of the Portuguese economy recorded in the third quarter.

Even with the fall in exports and investment, GDP grew by 0.4% compared to the previous quarter and by 4.9% compared to the same period last year. The numbers that need to be produced to ensure that 2022 ends with a booming economy, even during a downturn and international uncertainty.

This instability still does not affect the unemployment rate, which remained at 6.1% in October. Compared to September, the number of unemployed has decreased by 2,000. The active population has also declined and there are still 285,000 people who are not considered unemployed but are out of the labor market or only work a few hours a week.

See also  India-China border tensions: Minister of Defense reveals major Chinese troop movements
Continue Reading

Top News

5-star hotels lead the way in the restoration of Portuguese tourist sites

Published

on

5-star hotels lead the way in the restoration of Portuguese tourist sites

In October, the number of overnight stays in 5-star hotels increased by 15.9% compared to the same month in 2019, which, according to additional information, namely from the DMC (Tourist Inception Agency), is associated with a strong increase in tourism from the United States. states.

Information published today by INE indicates that in October, compared to the same month before the pandemic, the number of overnight stays in tourist establishments in Portugal increased by 6.2%, with the strongest increase in hotels, at 8.2%. in which, therefore, 62.1% is concentrated. overnight stays.

The information shows that 4-star hotels, where the largest number of beds are concentrated, had 48.9% of overnight stays in October, totaling 2.05 million, which is +7.6% or more than 144.7 thousand than in October 2019.

This was followed by 3-star hotels with 927.3k, but this increase was about half of 5-star hotels, by 7.6% or 65.5k, to 927.3k, and then 5-star hotels with 857. 4 thousand overnight stays, an increase of 15.9%. or 117.6 thousand compared to the same pre-pandemic month.

In contrast to the evolution in these categories, there were 2- and 1-star hotels, in which the number of overnight stays decreased by 2.7%, or ten thousand, to 360.8 thousand.

The cheapest apart-hotels (three and two stars) also saw a decrease in overnight stays, from -20.9% or less than 24.4 thousand, in hotels and farms in Madeira, from -0.4% or less, to about 300, and in tourist settlements, from -7.7. % or less than 17.5 thousand.

At the same time, the number of apart-hotels increased by 1.2%, or 8.5 thousand, to 717.5 million, due to the increase in 5-star hotels by 6.7%, or 6.6 thousand, to 104.9 thousand, and 4-star, by 5.4 thousand% or 26.4 thousand to 519.9 thousand.

See also  Public school students begin their Portuguese language classes through Plataforma Aprimora.

Overnight stays in tourist apartments also increased by 3.2%, or 13.6 thousand, to 437.8 million, local accommodation, by 0.6%, or 5.5 thousand, to 901.2 thousand, and , primarily tourism in rural areas and housing, with an increase of 45.2% or 67.3 thousand to 216.5 thousand people.

The INE data also shows that Portuguese tourist sites were the best in October in terms of overnight stays this year, with peaks achieved by 5-, 4- and 3-star hotels, 5- and 4-star apartment hotels, accommodation . and rural tourism and housing development.

See also:

The US market is already setting new annual records in Portuguese hotels

The Portuguese hospitality industry experienced the best October in terms of number of guests and overnight stays.

Continue Reading

Top News

Government approves strategy to combat “Portuguese underrepresentation” in Brussels

Published

on

Government approves strategy to combat "Portuguese underrepresentation" in Brussels

This afternoon the Council of Ministers will approve a national strategy to combat what it considers “underrepresentation de Portugal” in European institutions, in particular the European Commission.

“There is a significant shortage of Portuguese, especially those working for the Commission,” explains the Secretary of State for European Affairs in statements to Renaissance🇧🇷 The problem, according to Thiago Antunes, is not limited to middle management: “This is the first time Portugal does not have a CEO in the European Commission”.

The government wants to “correct this imbalance and fight this deficit in order to win.”ability to influence in decisions.” But it is not possible to increase the number of vacancies for the Portuguese, if only because there are no national quotas for employees working in institutions.

To go to Brussels or even work in Portugal on a full-time basis, you need to pass a series of tests prepared by EPSO (European Personnel Selection Office). 🇧🇷These are very difficult competitions.with very concrete evidence,” the official explains.

The strategy will be based on several pillars: training, increasing grants and encouraging the mobility of civil servants. The Portuguese government is going to create a national training center to “better prepare our candidates for competitions”; to bet on “dissemination of opportunities; increase the balls (by quantity and value); and create a statute that allows those who work in the public administration of Portugal to move into the European public administration.

The aim is to achieve “greater representation” in the European Commission in order to have “greater influence” on the decision. Although the strategy is to strengthen the Portuguese presence in Brussels and the employees do not work for Portugal.it doesn’t matter that they are portuguese“, he defends.

See also  Portuguese surfer to stop competing due to mental health issues

Fruits may not appear early or may not even be measurable. “It will take some time until we see results,” admits the former secretary of state to the prime minister. But the wait does not stop the Portuguese government. “We have to start right now,” Thiago Antunes insists, pointing to the demographic problem among those working in Brussels. “There are a lot of Portuguese who came in at the time of our accession and are now retiring.”

The strategy aims to reverse the cycle of loss of Portuguese representation among the 27. The diploma will be approved this Wednesday in the Council of Ministers.

Continue Reading

Trending