Connect with us

Top News

The US is demanding North Korea in a $ 2.5 billion sanction scheme

Published

on

The US is demanding North Korea in a $ 2.5 billion sanction scheme

The Ministry of Justice has accused the North Korean and Chinese networks of secretly advancing North Korea’s nuclear weapons program by channeling at least 2.5 billion US dollars in illicit payments through hundreds of front companies.

The indictment, which was sealed Thursday in Washington federal court, is believed to be the largest criminal enforcement act ever committed against North Korea.

The 33 defendants included executives of the North Korean state-owned Foreign Trade Bank, which in 2013 were added to the Ministry of Finance’s list of sanctioned institutions for transactions that facilitated the nuclear proliferation network, and were cut off from the U.S. financial system.

According to the indictment, bank officials – one of whom served in North Korea’s main intelligence bureau – set up branches in countries around the world, including Thailand, Russia and Kuwait, and used more than 250 front companies to process US dollar payments. to further the country’s nuclear proliferation program.

The defendants used various tactics to cover their tracks, including code conversations; fake destination and customer lists on contracts and invoices; and created a new company after the bank caught an association with North Korea, the indictment said. Banks are routinely tricked into processing transactions that they don’t normally do, according to prosecutors.

Five of the defendants were Chinese citizens who operated covert branches in China or Libya. Others that are billed include individuals who sometimes serve as bank presidents or vice presidents.

“Through this indictment, the United States has signaled its commitment to hamper North Korea’s ability to illegally access the US financial system and (to limit) its ability to use the results of illicit actions to increase illegal WMD and ballistic missile programs,” acting US Attorney Michael Sherwin for the District of Columbia said in a statement.

See also  The artist's rainbow house in California brings her excitement but her neighbor is charming

The US has frozen and seized about $ 63 million from the scheme since 2015, according to the indictment.

This case was filed during a difficult relationship between the US and North Korea. The restoration of relations that President Donald Trump has been trying to try for the past two years has stalled, with the last face-to-face meeting between senior officials from both countries taking place in October in Stockholm.

Despite recent speculation about the health of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, which has prompted public expressions of concern from Trump, the government has been almost completely silent about North Korea. U.S. officials said they remained eager to restart negotiations but did not get an indication from North Korea that any continuation would happen soon.

The indictment also reflects ongoing concerns about sanctions violations related to North Korea. Last month, for example, United Nations experts recommended a blacklist of 14 vessels for violating sanctions against North Korea, accusing the country in reports of increasing illegal coal exports and imports of petroleum products and continuing cyber attacks on financial institutions and crypto currency exchanges for get illegal income.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

Portuguese MNEs defend that Mercosur is a “natural partner” of the European Union at the moment – Observer

Published

on

Portuguese MNEs defend that Mercosur is a "natural partner" of the European Union at the moment - Observer

This Thursday, Portugal’s foreign minister said that at a time when the European Union (EU) seeks to diversify suppliers and markets, MERCOSUR is a natural partner whose importance cannot be “underestimated”.

For Portugal, “the current delicate context makes us appreciate even more the mutual advantages of the Agreement between the EU and MERCOSUR,” João Gomes Cravinho said, without directly referring to the conflict between Russia and Ukraine.

“At a time when the EU is seeking to diversify suppliers and markets in order to ensure greater strategic autonomy, MERCOSUR is a natural partner, whose importance we cannot underestimate“, the minister added at a conference entitled “Brazil and Portugal: perspectives for the future”, which takes place from Thursday to Friday at the Gulbenkian Foundation in Lisbon.

The Southern Common Market (MERCOSUR) is a South American economic bloc created in 1991, whose founding members are Brazil, Argentina, Paraguay and Uruguay.

THE PUB • CONTINUE TO READ BELOW

But still, within the framework of the European Union, Joao Gomes Cravinho believed that EU strategic partnership with Brazil left ‘untapped’.

The Minister stressed that in the context of the EU, Portugal “always knew how to use its position in favor of strengthening relations with Brazil.”

Therefore, it was during the Portuguese presidency, in 2007, that a “strategic partnership with Brazil” was established, he stressed.

However, according to the head of Portuguese diplomacy, this is “a partnership that has clearly not been used for a variety of reasons and which still retains the ability to position Brazil as Europe’s great interlocutor for South America.”

See also  The artist's rainbow house in California brings her excitement but her neighbor is charming

With regard to bilateral relations between the two countries, the minister emphasized that “in this context of global turmoil, the wisdom of the central characteristic common to the foreign policy of Brazil and Portugal, which is active participation in many multilateral structures, in recognition of the indispensability of multilateralism, international cooperation and global rules based order.

Portugal meets with Brazil in all areas of Portuguese foreign policy. We are Atlantic, we are Ibero-American and Portuguese-speaking,” he said.

In the Atlantic dimension, “Portugal and Brazil are united by an ocean, which we recognize as growing in importance in the context of new, complex and truly existential issues,” he said.

According to João Gomes Cravinho, “Some of these problems can be answered in the Atlantic Center, co-founded by Portugal and Brazil”, and “the other part of the huge ocean problems will be addressed in detail at the great Summit.” Oceans”, which will be held in Lisbon next week.

“In any of the areas, new prospects are opening up for Portuguese-Brazilian relations,” he stressed.

With regard to Ibero-America, the minister believes that Portugal and Brazil share “an enormous strategic space with the Castilian-speaking countries, where a joint Portuguese-Brazilian reflection is undoubtedly recommended on the potential to exploit opportunities and create synergies”.

“Value of CPLP [Comunidade de Países de Língua Portuguesa] is gaining more and more recognition at the international level – and the evidence of this is the growing number of states that become associate observers” of the organization, he believes.

“Because they want to engage with us and reinforce the value of the linguistic, cultural and historical ties that unify lusophony and create a unique dynamic for relationships with third parties,” he stressed.

See also  The British group warns "a significant proportion" of Covid-19 patients will develop PTSD

But even at this level, he argued that there was an urgent need to find a “convergence of visions and desires” that “allows us to enhance” our “separate realities.”

The minister also mentioned that “despite the break caused by the pandemic”, Portugal has a “real air bridge” with Brazil, consisting of more than 74 weekly TAP flights, which is a cause and effect of “a dynamic that is being updated and reinvented”. relations between the two countries.

This dynamic, according to Gomes Cravinho, is also reflected in economic and commercial relations.

Thus, “Brazil is the first Latin American export market for Portuguese merchandise and is already the fourth largest merchandise export destination (outside the EU).

“However, the conviction remains that the potential is far from being realized, and that nostalgia for the future entails a vision of a different profile of our exchanges, a technological, creative profile that corresponds to global geo-economic transformations,” he defended. .

At this stage, João Gomes Cravinho also underlined the potential of the port of Sines, “whose strategic importance, which has long been noted, takes on new importance in the troubled times that we are going through.”

Continue Reading

Top News

A cycle of Portuguese cinema will be held in New York from Friday.

Published

on

A cycle of Portuguese cinema will be held in New York from Friday.

Dand from June 24 to 30, an event called “New Stories from Portuguese Cinema” will present the perspectives of a new generation of filmmakers “whose films embody the artistic, social and political reflections that mark the 21st century,” according to the organization in a statement.

Balad o batrachio by Leonor Teles, Amor, Avenidas Novas by Duarte Coimbra and O Cordeiro de Deus by David Pinheiro Vicente are three of the 20 films that are part of this cinematic cycle.

Pedro Cabeleira, Laura Carreira, Susana Nobre, Joao Rosas, Tomas Paula Marquez, Catarina de Souza and Nick Tyson, Maya Cosa and Sergio da Costa, Christel Alves Meira, Paulo Carneiro, Pedro Peralta, Diogo Salgado, Catarina Vasconcelos and Aya Korezli other directors integrated into this movie cycle.

In addition to FLAD, this event is also the result of a partnership with New York-based Anthology Film Archives, an iconic venue for independent and experimental filmmaking, hosting a Portuguese film cycle featuring Francisco Valente.

“Anthology Film Archives has been a reference space for over 50 years. It seemed to us ideal to promote the works of these directors, emphasizing their uniqueness and quality. We believe that Portuguese cinema can gain more space in the United States and we want to do our part to internationalize it,” said FLAD President Rita Faden.

Francisco Valente, guest programmer, explained that the 18 selected directors are distinguished by “their unwavering commitment to using the screen to express their personal freedom, reflect their racial and gender identity, and develop narratives that comment on and expand our reality.” – in Portugal, in the United States, or in that beautiful and imaginary country called cinema.

See also  The British group warns "a significant proportion" of Covid-19 patients will develop PTSD

This connection between Portugal and the United States of America is also expressed in the documentary “In the Footsteps of Utopia”, based on the testimonies of “weird” teenagers from Queens, filmed by Catarina de Souza and Nick Tyson, who will come to New York to find out their joint production, which closes this cycle.

The program of the cycle is available in the Screenings section of the Anthology Film Archives “website” (anthologyfilmarchives.org) and on the FLAD “website” (https://www.flad.pt/wp-content). /uploads/2022/02/new_tales_final_bx.pdf).

See also: Michael J. Fox received a humanitarian “Oscar”, and Diane Warren – an honorary “Oscar”.

Always be the first to know.
6th year in a row Consumers Choice and Five Star Award for Online Press.
Download our free app.

Continue Reading

Top News

“Take off my pussy,” shoots the Portuguese at United’s Brazilians.

Published

on

"Take off my pussy," shoots the Portuguese at United's Brazilians.

A behind-the-scenes video of the day-to-day life of the Manchester United team, Alex Telles, captured an unusual situation. The player appears alongside another Brazilian, midfielder Fred, until they are taken by surprise by Portuguese Bruno Fernandez, who “scolds” them, ordering them to stop filming and go to training.

In the video, Alex and Fred appear in the parking lot of Carrington, the Red Devils’ training facility, when they are caught off guard by the Portuguese. In the distance, Bruno starts yelling at the two of them to stop filming and go to practice.

“Stop being a bully. You are here to play football, not to make films. Take off my pussy,” exclaims Fernandez.

Fred discount.

“Be patient,” says the Brazilian.

The video is part of a campaign in cooperation with a marketing agency that filmed a day in the life of Telles.

Although the atmosphere at United was not the best last season due to lack of titles and no Champions League qualification, the dialogue between the three players who have a good relationship is a joke.

Alex and Fred could end up in the 2022 World Cup. Fred is more right and he is constantly featured in coach Tite’s challenges. Alex Telles has been called up for the last matches in Brazil and is now fighting for a place on the left flank.

Do you want to be aware of everything that happens in the world of sports and receive news directly to your mobile phone? Enter the channel metropolitan areas No Telegram and don’t forget to subscribe to us Instagram!

See also  The last Blockbuster is hosting an Airbnb sleepover in September

Continue Reading

Trending