Connect with us

Top News

The State Department’s Inspector General became the latest overseer to be fired by Trump

Published

on

U.S. State Department Inspector General Steve Linick departs the U.S. Capitol October 02, 2019 in Washington, DC. Linick reportedly met with congressional officials to brief them on information related to the impeachment inquiry centered around U.S. President Donald Trump.

“It is very important that I have full trust in the appointees acting as Inspector General. That is no longer a problem for this Inspector General,” Trump said in a letter sent Friday night to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi. The letter stated that the dismissal was effective in 30 days.

Friday’s announcement reflected the dismissal of former Inspector General of the Intelligence Community Michael Atkinson last month and came when Trump continued his attacks on the government’s internal surveillance. The president has repeatedly shown hostility to independent oversight from within the government, often targeting officials he sees as a legacy from President Barack Obama’s administration or part of the so-called “internal state,” which he believes is in harmony with him.

Linick, who was first appointed as inspector general by Obama, had a small role in the investigation of impeachment.

Linick gave personal guidance to bipartisan staff from eight DPR and Senate committees and gave them documents received by the State Department from Trump’s personal lawyer, Rudy Giuliani. The documents include baseless accusations against Biden and former US Ambassador to Ukraine Marie Yovanovitch. By doing this, he severed relations with the leadership of the State Department who vowed not to cooperate with the investigation.

READ: Trump announced that he would fire the State Department’s inspector general
A State Department spokesman confirmed Linick’s dismissal and said that Ambassador Stephen Akard, an ally of Vice President Mike Pence, would take on the role. Akard’s relationship with Pence, which originated from when he worked under the then Indiana Governor, Pence as the head of the Indiana Economic Development Corporation, had previously placed former diplomats who saw him as part of the State Department’s politicization.

“On September 11, 2019, Ambassador Akard was confirmed by the Senate, 90-2, to lead the Department’s Foreign Mission Office and we look forward to him leading the Office of the Inspector General,” said a Foreign Ministry spokesman. Akard is a former career Foreign Service Officer who served as a special assistant in the Executive Secretariat, as a political official and general official at the Brussels Embassy, ​​and served as a consular officer at the US Consulate General in Mumbai.

See also  Ann Taylor dad or mum Ascena data files for bankruptcy as pandemic crushes now troubled retailer

A senior State Department official confirmed that State Secretary Mike Pompeo made a recommendation for Linick to be transferred, but the official did not know the reason. The decision to choose Akard as his successor was made in consultation with his management team, but Pompeo finally made the decision, the official said.

“This is frightening and completely unexpected,” a State Department source close to Linick told CNN.

This source does not know anything that seems to trigger Trump’s general outrage with what he considers a deep state.

Another source said that senior staff at the State Department’s Inspector General’s office were blind. Akard had been named under a job vacancy to cut Linick’s deputy, Diana Shaw, who had just taken on a role this month after moving from the Inspector General’s office of the Department of Homeland Security. CBS first reported the role of Pompeo.

Linick began his work in September 2013. He was previously a prosecutor of the Department of Justice and worked as a high-ranking official of the Department of Justice fraud. He also served as the first Inspector General of the Federal Housing Finance Agency.

At the State Department, Linick oversaw an investigation into the use of former State Secretary Hillary Clinton’s private email server. His May 2016 report on the investigation criticized Clinton, saying that the former secretary failed to follow the rules or inform key department staff about their use on private servers.

He is also a US assistant lawyer in California and Virginia. Linick served as executive director of the Justice Department’s National Procurement Fraud Task Force and deputy chief of fraud in the DOJ Criminal Division from 2006 to 2010.

See also  Coronavirus: Uk advises against non-vital journey to Spanish islands

“During his tenure at the Department of Justice, he oversaw and participated in cases of white-collar fraud involving, inter alia, corruption and contract fraud against the US in Iraq and Afghanistan,” according to the State Department biography.

The dismissal immediately drew criticism from members of the Democratic Congress.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi called the “late-night, weekend dismissal” from Linick an “acceleration of the President’s dangerous pattern of retaliation against patriotic public servants accused of overseeing on behalf of the American people.”

Pelosi added that the shooting would “reverse the important work of the Office of the Inspector General to carry out critical audits, investigations and inspections of US embassies and programs around the world” during the coronavirus crisis.

Senator Robert Menendez, a New Jersey Democrat who is a ranking member on the Foreign Relations Committee, called the shooting “embarrassing” in a tweet.

Trump has now fired several inspectors general after the Senate acquitted him of two articles of impeachment in early February, because of the country’s attention to fighting the corona virus. The president, CNN previously reported, had been fixated on cleaning up his government from government overseers who he saw as Obama’s loyalists.

In early April, Trump dismissed the intelligence community’s inspector general, Atkinson, who had told Congress about complaints that led to Trump’s impeachment.

Within a week, Trump removed the acting inspector general for the Department of Defense, Glenn Fine, from his post. Fine’s removal from top office made him no longer eligible to lead an accountability committee tasked with overseeing coronavirus emergency funds.

See also  The remnants of George Floyd arrived in Houston

Trump also openly attacked high-ranking officials in the office of the inspector general of the Department of Health and Human Services over reports of hospitals facing shortages.

Representative Gerry Connolly, a Democrat from Virginia, condemned a series of dismissals on Friday.

“IG shooting (fourth) is intended to intimidate and silence those who want to hold corruption accountable,” Connolly said on Twitter. “This is an attack on our democracy and should trouble all members of Congress. The Republican silence over this is negligence of duty.”

This is an extraordinary story and will be updated.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

Thomas Gouveia remains the best Portuguese in the Swiss Challenge

Published

on

Thomas Gouveia remains the best Portuguese in the Swiss Challenge

Writing with Lusa

Tournament of the second European circuit.

Thomas Gouveia solidified his status as the best Portuguese in the Swiss Challenge this Saturday by finishing the penultimate day of the second European round robin in a group of 31st placed golfers.

Thomas Gouveia hit the card with 73 shots, one over par on the course, after two birdies (one under par hole) and three bogeys (one over), after making 71 shots in the previous two days for a total of 215.

Thomas Bessa needed 75 hits, three over par and tied for scarecrows, he finished 48th with 218 total, five short of Vitor Lopez, 60th with 223, after today needs 78, with just one bird . to fit five scarecrows and a double scarecrow.

The Swiss Challenge, which concludes on Sunday in Folgensburg, France, is still led by France’s Chung Veon Ko with a total of 206 shots, one short of Denmark’s Martin Simonsen in second place.

See also  New York City reports no deaths; Florida sets daily record
Continue Reading

Top News

Miguel Oliveira qualified eighth for the Japanese Grand Prix.

Published

on

Miguel Oliveira qualified eighth for the Japanese Grand Prix.

Portuguese rider Miguel Oliveira (KTM) qualified this Saturday in eighth position at the Japanese MotoGP Grand Prix, 16th of 20 races of the season, despite a last-minute crash.

The Portuguese from the Austrian brand set his best lap of 1.55.895 minutes, finishing 0.681 seconds behind fastest Spaniard Marc Marquez (Honda). France’s Johann Zarco (Ducati) was second with 0.208 seconds and South African Brad Binder (KTM) was third with 0.323 seconds.

“I had good speed and potential in the second quarter and on this particular lap. [a última], but I was on the floor in the ninth turn. It was a shame, but I have confidence in tomorrow (Sunday),” commented the Portuguese rider in statements released by the KTM team. “It was difficult to prepare for the race, but we’ll see.” [o que vai acontecer]”- concluded Miguel Oliveira.

The Portuguese left the third row of the grid after falling just three minutes before the end of the session, marred by rain that caused a delay of more than an hour and had already forced the cancellation of the third free game. training session, at night. The fall of the Portuguese rider occurred in the third sector of the track, at a time when his results were improving. When 15 minutes of this second qualifying stage (Q2) ended, Oliveira finished in fourth place.

However, several riders were still halfway to the last lap and the Almada rider ended up being overtaken by Spaniards Jorge Martin (Ducati), Brad Binder and Aprilia Spaniards Aleix Espargaro and Maverick Viñales.

See also  When the NYC restaurant reopens, what will be the 'new normal'?

Pole position was won by Marc Marquez 1,071 days after he was the fastest in qualifying for the MotoGP World Championship, namely the 2019 Japanese Grand Prix.

“I am very pleased with the pole position. This morning I felt very strong on the wet track and decided to give it a try. This is very important for us and for the future. Tomorrow, on a dry surface, everything will be different. history,” said the Spanish rider, who has already become world champion eight times.

The rain that hit the Motegi track became a headache for the riders and the organization, which was forced to interrupt the Moto2 qualifying nine minutes before the end and cancel the third free practice in MotoGP.

Traffic on the track only resumed after more than an hour, and the wet track was the cause of several accidents, including that of a Portuguese KTM rider who slid off the pavement without physical consequences.

Johann Zarco’s Ducati was the fastest today, reaching 302 kilometers per hour, while Oliveira’s KTM lost 30 kilometers per hour in a straight line (the maximum speed achieved by the Portuguese was 270 kilometers per hour). Luca Marini’s Ducati was the slowest, reaching 255.9 kilometers per hour, leaving the Italian in 10th place.

Champion and championship leader Fabio Quartararo (Yamaha) of France finished ninth behind Miguel Oliveira, while World Cup runner-up Francesco Bagnaia (Ducati) of Italy finished 12th and last in the second quarter, bringing together the top 10 fastest in free practice and the top two in the first quarter.

See also  Ann Taylor dad or mum Ascena data files for bankruptcy as pandemic crushes now troubled retailer

Already the Italian Enea Bastianini (Ducati), the winner of the previous stage in Aragon, remained in Q1, where he fell without physical consequences.

Continue Reading

Top News

Arapiraquense makes humorous videos to give Portuguese advice: “You learn and laugh” | alagoas

Published

on

Arapiraquense makes humorous videos to give Portuguese advice: "You learn and laugh" |  alagoas

“You learn and you laugh” is how Erivaldo Amancio defines the Portuguese language content he offers online. Born in Arapiraque, Alagoas, he humorously gives advice and answers questions about the Portuguese language.

  • Share on whatsapp
  • Share on Telegram

Erivaldo has 767k followers on Instagram and over 17.5k followers on YouTube. It all started a year and a half ago when he got scolded in a comment on social media.

Because the swearing contained several grammatical errors, Erivaldo responded by posting a video teaching a “lesson” to the hater.

“It happened more than once. Some of these videos were posted on humorous Instagram profiles. It made me stand out,” he said.

A literature student at the Federal University of Alagoas (Ufal), Erivaldo wants to prepare even more for face-to-face classes when he is near the end of the course. He says the purpose of the profile is to encourage followers to seek out more knowledge.

“Tips on the web are just a seed, the fruit of which can be curiosity about objects,” he explained.

Through social media, Erivaldo responds to his followers’ doubts about the Portuguese language.

Erivaldo’s profile is also in demand by contestants and students preparing for Enem.

“[Os seguidores] it is said to be a very interesting way of learning. Many regret not learning from teachers who use humor in the classroom,” he said.

Watch the latest videos of g1 AL

Continue Reading

Trending