Connect with us

Top News

Susan Rice’s email shows Comey debating cutting information from Flynn

Published

on

Susan Rice's email shows Comey debating cutting information from Flynn

Then-FBI director James Comey suggested that President Barack Obama might want to keep information about Russia from National Security Adviser Michael Flynn in January 2017, according to the newly declassified e-mail sent by Flynn’s predecessor Susan Rice to himself on the day President Trump sworn to the office.

Rice’s e-mail was declassified by Acting Director of National Intelligence Richard Grenell and sent to the Department of Justice. Fox News get a copy of the email from the office of Senator Ron Johnson (R-Wisc.).

In an unclassified e-mail, which Rice sent to himself on January 20, 2017, he documented the January 5 meeting he attended with President Obama at the time, Vice President Biden, then FBI Director James Comey and Deputy Attorney General Sally Yates about Flynn.

“President Obama began the talks by emphasizing his ongoing commitment to ensure that every aspect of the issue is handled by the intelligence and law enforcement community ‘based on books,'” Rice wrote to herself, referring to Flynn’s call to the Russian ambassador to Sergey Kislyak of the ambassador big Russian.

“The president stressed that he did not ask about, initiate or instruct anything from a law enforcement perspective. He stressed that our law enforcement team needed to proceed as the book normally does. “

Rice wrote that Obama “wants to ensure that, when we are involved with the incoming team, we take care to ascertain whether there is a reason that we cannot share information fully because it is related to Russia.”

Rice later wrote that Comey expressed some concern about the frequency with which Flynn communicated with Kislyak, saying that it could cause problems when having to share sensitive information.

See also  Premarket Shares: The Fed now has Walmart debt. This is why it is important

Rice alleged that Obama later asked if Comey said that the NSC should not provide sensitive information to Flynn regarding Russia, which Comey answered “potentially.”

“[Comey] added that he had no indication so far that Flynn had provided confidential information to Kislyak, but he noted that levels of communication were unusual, ‘”he wrote.

He added: “The president asked [FBI Director James] Come to let him know if there are changes in the next few weeks that will affect the way we share confidential information with the incoming team. Comey said he would do it. “

Sergei Kislyak
Sergei KislyakThe AP

Rice’s statement stressed that the e-mail “made it clear that the Obama administration did not change the way it was directed to Michael Flynn – but rather that President Obama asked Director Comey‘ to inform him of changes in the next few weeks. “

Flynn was fired in early 2017 for lying to Vice President Pence about his contact with the Russian ambassador, causing Pence to lie in an unknowingly interview. Flynn pleaded guilty at the end of 2017 to lying to the FBI about their conversation with Kislyak.

In April, documents were released as part of a re-examination of the Flynn case which showed the director of the counterintelligence bureau at the time openly questioned whether the agency’s “aim” was to “get [Flynn] lie.”

The four-page document includes a one-page handwritten note, believed to have been written by former FBI counterintelligence director Bill Priestap. Records were taken in January 2017, after a meeting with former FBI Director James Comey and Deputy Director Andrew McCabe, according to Fox News.

See also  UFC 252 success: Sean O’Malley stopped by Marlon Vera in initial spherical after suffering weird leg injury

Priestap’s handwritten statement was revealed during a critical interview with the newly installed national security adviser regarding Flynn’s contacts a few weeks earlier with Kislyak.

“What is our goal? Truth / acceptance or to make him lie, so we can sue him or get him fired?” Priestap wrote. “If we make him admit to violating the Logan Act, give the facts to the DOJ & ask them to decide. Or, if he initially lied, then we offer [redacted] & he admitted it, documented it to the DOJ, & let them decide how to deal with it. “

Flynn’s lawyer said they believed the document supported their case to reverse his request, citing an investigation error.

In a statement released through a spokesman, Rice said on Tuesday that he was renewing his call for a transcript of the conversation between Flynn and Kislyak that would be released to the public by Grenell.

“In the interest of transparency, Ambassador Rice again called on the Director of National Intelligence to release an irreducible transcript of all Kislyak-Flynn summons,” Rice said.

“Americans deserve a complete transcript so they can judge for themselves Michael Flynn’s behavior.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

Thiago Monteiro in 14th and 15th before the arrival of the WTCR in Portugal – Observer

Published

on

Thiago Monteiro in 14th and 15th before the arrival of the WTCR in Portugal - Observer

Portuguese driver Thiago Monteiro (Honda) finished 14th and 15th this Sunday in the two World Touring Car Cup (WTCR) races held in Aragon, Spain, which precede the Vila Real race.

The Portuguese rider always rode in the tail, he was hindered by the fact that Honda had more excess weight than his rivals.

“If they told me that I would be in this position, I would not believe it. But the reality is that we have not been able to withstand a number of adversities. From the moment when the pace is much lower than other rivals, we are prepared in advance. It’s heartbreaking,” the Portuguese rider began his explanation after the fourth round of the championship.

The Portuguese rider struggled to find the best balance in his Civic, as did his teammate, Hungarian Attila Tassi.

THE PUB • CONTINUE TO READ BELOW

“We still had problems, and we could not reach the full potential of the car. It was very difficult, unpleasant and discouraging, especially since we are going to Vila Real and this scenario does not suit me. But we will have to continue to look for our own path and believe that everything will work out, ”Thiago Monteiro concluded.

Belgian Giles Magnus (Audi) and Spaniard Mikel Ascona (Hyundai) won both races on Sunday.

Ascona leads the league with 129 points, while Thiago Monteiro is 16th with 12 points.

The WTCR competition in Portugal will take place next weekend in Vila Real.

Continue Reading

Top News

Joao Almeida became the champion of Portugal in cycling

Published

on

Joao Almeida became the champion of Portugal in cycling

This Sunday, Portuguese cyclist João Almeida (UAE-Emirates) became the Portuguese champion in cross-country cycling for the first time, winning the elite national championships held in Mogaduro.

In his first online race since Joao Almeida was forced to pull out of the Vuelta Italia after testing positive for the coronavirus, he won his first national title since becoming time trial champion in 2021.

Almeida crossed the finish line in Mogadora, covering the 167.5 km distance in 4:08.42 hours, 52 seconds behind Thiago Antunes (Efapel) second, Fabio Costa (Glassdrive-Q8-Anicolor) third, and Rui Oliveira (UAE). – Emirates), fourth.

In the end, João Almeida stated that he was “very pleased” with the victory, admitting that the race “went very well” and thanking his teammates.

Former national champion José Neves (W52-FC Porto) did not finish the race, as did Rafael Reis (Glassdrive-Q8-Anicolor) who won the time trial title on Friday.

See also  Trump said intelligence about the Russian-Taliban bounty plan cannot be trusted
Continue Reading

Top News

Portuguese military admits ‘it will take time’ until territory is taken under control

Published

on

Portuguese military admits 'it will take time' until territory is taken under control

The “path” chosen for about a year in the fight against rebel groups in the province of Cabo Delgado in northern Mozambique is “the right one,” Brigadier General Nuno Lemos Pires said in an interview with Lusa.

“Now, while the situation is not fully under control, we all understand that, as in any other counter-terrorism situation in the world, it will take a lot of time,” added the head of the European military training mission, although he acknowledged that this “ does not mean that sometimes there are no fears and failures.

However, “this is part of what constitutes an action taken against terrorists who operate in a very wide area, who in themselves have the initiative and the ability to hide in a very wide area,” he said.

In fact, he stressed, many of the recent attacks that have taken place in the south of Cabo Delgado in recent weeks are due to the fact that Islamist extremist rebels had to “flight from the north” of the province.

“Because this was a consolidated military operation carried out in close cooperation between the Mozambique Defense and Security Forces (FSS), [e com as forças d]Rwanda and SAMIM (Southern African Development Community Mission (SADC) in Mozambique), who were clearing out the intervention areas that existed in the area, the reaction of many terrorists was to flee the area, go further south, where they were not pursued. , and make new attacks,” he explained.

“In such cases, the initiative almost always belongs to the terrorists. There are few of them, they hide among the population, they move over very large territories, with a lot of dense vegetation, it becomes very difficult to find them, but you can easily move,” he continued.

See also  WHO reports the largest increase in coronavirus cases one day

On the other hand, the Portuguese general emphasized, “it is now difficult for these groups” “to concentrate power and forces for large-scale operations, as was the case three years ago during the conquests, such as Mocimboa da Praia or Palma.” ,” he said.

“They don’t have that ability. Many of these attacks even demonstrate [estratégias] survival [clássicas das guerrilhas]. They’re looking for food, they’re looking for supplies, they’re searching deep down for a place where they can survive, because the area is already under quite a lot of control. [por parte] Mozambique FSS, Rwandan forces and SAMIM,” he explained.

In this context, Nuno Lemos Pires highlighted the “quick response” of the Mozambican authorities to each of these developments, starting with head of state Filipe Nyusi.

“I think it is exemplary that the moment there is a movement or a series of significant attacks in other areas, we immediately see the President of Mozambique heading north, linking up with his Chief of the General Staff of the Armed Forces (CEMGFA). , with the Minister of Defense, with the Minister of the Interior, and outline plans on the ground for a quick change of equipment and the ability to respond to such movements,” he said.

During one such trip to northern Mozambique in mid-June, Mozambican Interior Minister Arsenia Massingue said that Mozambican police were informing the “enemy” – the rebel forces in Cabo Delgado – about the positions of the FDS and allied forces on the ground.

However, Lemos Pires downplayed the situation. “We must be aware that there are infiltrations in any political system. It’s happening everywhere. Ignoring this dimension is tantamount to ignoring what is happening everywhere,” he said.

See also  Respect, Portuguese and a language for everyone

“I don’t know of a single case of insurgency, counterinsurgency, terrorist or counter-terrorist combat where these leaks didn’t happen frequently. You need to be careful. .

In addition to the vastness of the territory that has been the scene of conflict and the topography favorable to insurgent guerrilla strategies, the porous borders with Tanzania to the north of Cabo Delgado and Malawi to the northwest also pose a danger. challenges the SDF and allied forces of SAMIM and Rwanda.

Lemos Pires also relativized this question. “We are talking about transnational terrorism, and it is good to understand that the situation in the north of Mozambique, in Cabo Delgado, is not limited and is not limited – and has never been limited – exclusively and exclusively to this region. A phenomenon that exists throughout Africa. , namely in Central Africa,” he said.

The UETM commander even took advantage of this circumstance to formulate an “extended response” to “a broad problem, a regional one, and the solution must also be a broad regional one.”

Therefore, “it’s very good what we see here on the ground, in fact, this is the unification of the efforts of regional African forces to try to deal with a problem that really worries everyone,” he concluded.

“What happens in one region can affect another. That is why it is in everyone’s interest that these groups be fought, detained and that the narrative that they are currently spreading can be counteracted – we hope that there are fewer and fewer successes,” the Portuguese general stressed.

NPS // PYAA

See also  Friend Lori Vallow says 'mother of doomsday' has turned off 'vision'

Lusa/The End

Continue Reading

Trending