Connect with us

Top News

New York Times: Pompeo has answered a written question in the Saudi watchdog’s investigating investigations

Published

on

New York Times: Pompeo has answered a written question in the Saudi watchdog's investigating investigations

The revelation came after House Foreign Affairs Chair Eliot Engel claimed the State Department’s inspector general who was fired by President Donald Trump late Friday, Steve Linick, almost completed an investigation into Pompeo’s controversial decision to accelerate the sale of the same weapon. CNN had previously reported that Pompeo refused to take part in the interview as part of the investigation.
“I have learned that there may be other reasons for Mr. Linick’s dismissal. His office is investigating – at my request – Trump’s fake emergency declaration so he can send weapons to Saudi Arabia,” Engel, a New York Democrat, said in a statement to CNN , Monday.

“We don’t have the full picture yet, but it is troubling that Secretary Pompeo wants Mr. Linick to push before this work can be completed.”

Pompeo told The Washington Post on Monday that he asked Trump to remove Linick because independent monitors “damaged” the department and did not do it the way the top US diplomat wanted. He did not elaborate on what specifically made him unhappy about Linick’s job performance.

“I went to the President and explained to him that Inspector General Linick did not function in the way we tried to do for him, which was in addition to the Department of Foreign Affairs, very consistent with what the law was supposed to do,” he told the Post. “The type of activity he should be doing to make us better, to improve us.”

Last May, the Trump administration declared a state of emergency to bypass Congress and speed up arms sales to billions of dollars to various countries – including Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates – on the grounds of the need to block what he called Iran’s “evil influence”. throughout the Middle East.

“This sale will support our allies, increase the stability of the Middle East, and help these countries to deter and defend themselves from the Islamic Republic of Iran,” Pompeo said in a statement at the time, which put the sales value at $ 8.1 billion.

See also  Portuguese Style Cancel and Silence - Observer

But the move drew bipartisan criticism, with lawmakers criticizing the precedent to be set.

CNN had previously reported that Linick was also investigating whether Pompeo made a staff member perform various personal tasks, including taking his dog for a walk, taking dry cleaning, and making dinner reservations for him and his wife, according to a Democratic aide.

Even so, Pompeo claimed he was not aware that Linick was investigating him at the time he recommended that IG be removed.

According to the Post, he only knew about one case “involving national security matters.”

“It is unlikely that this decision, or my recommendation, more precisely, to the President, is based more on efforts to retaliate for any investigation that is taking place, or is in progress,” Pompeo said.

“Because I really don’t know. I wasn’t briefed about it. I usually see this investigation in the form of a final draft 24 hours, 48 ​​hours, before the IG is ready to release it.”

Zachary Cohen from CNN, Jennifer Hansler, Nicole Gaouette and Kylie Atwood contributed to this report.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

Portuguese historical films will premiere on 29 December.

Published

on

Portuguese historical films will premiere on 29 December.

Method Media Bermuda will present the documentary FABRIC: Portuguese History in Bermuda on Thursday, December 29 at the Underwater Research Institute of Bermuda.

A spokesperson said: “Method Media is proud to bring Bermuda Fabric: Portugal History to Bermuda for its 5th and 6th showing at the Bermuda Underwater Observatory. In November and December 2019, Cloth: A Portuguese Story in Bermuda had four sold-out screenings. Now that Bermuda has reopened after the pandemic, it’s time to bring the film back for at least two screenings.

“There are tickets Ptix.bm For $ 20 – sessions at 15:30 and 18:00. Both screenings will be followed by a short Q&A session.

Director and producer Milton Raboso says, “FABRIC is a definitive account of the Portuguese community in Bermuda and its 151 years of history, but it also places Bermuda, Acors and Portugal in the world history and the events that have fueled those 151 years.

“It took more than 10 years to implement FABRIC. The film was supported by the Minister of Culture, the Government of the Azores and private donors.

Bermuda Media Method [MMB] Created in 2011 by producer Milton Raposo. MMB has created content for a wide range of clients: Bermuda’s new hospital renovation, reinsurance, travel campaigns, international sports and more. MMB pays special attention to artistic, cultural and historical content.

More about

#History of Bermuda #A photo #Portuguese

Model: Everybody, Entertainment, Movies/Movies, History, News

Continue Reading

Top News

CRISTANO RONALDO CAN MAKE UP A GIANT IN CARIOCA AND PORTUGUESE TECHNICIAN SAYS ‘There will be room’

Published

on

CRISTANO RONALDO CAN MAKE UP A GIANT IN CARIOCA AND PORTUGUESE TECHNICIAN SAYS 'There will be room'

News

This is a fact or event of journalistic interest. This may be new or recent information. This also applies to the novelty of an already known situation.

Article

Mostly original text. Expresses the opinion of the author, but not necessarily the opinion of the newspaper. It can be written by journalists or specialists from different fields.

Investigative

A report that contains unknown facts or episodes with a pronounced denunciatory content. This requires special methods and resources.

Content commerce

Editorial content that offers the reader conditions for making purchases.

Analysis

This is the interpretation of the news, taking into account information that goes beyond the facts told. It uses data, brings events and scenario forecasts, as well as past contexts.

Editorial

Analytical text translating the official position of the vehicle in relation to the facts covered.

Sponsored

This is an institutional article on a topic of interest to the company sponsoring the report.

fact checking

Content that confirms the accuracy and authenticity of the disclosed information or facts.

Context

This is an article that brings subsidies, historical data and relevant information to help understand a fact or news.

special

An exciting report that details the various aspects and developments of this topic. It brings data, statistics, historical context, as well as stories of characters that are affected by or directly related to the topic in question.

Criticism

A text with detailed analysis and opinions on products, services and works of art in a wide variety of fields such as literature, music, film and visual arts.

Continue Reading

Top News

Maestro de Braga is the first Portuguese in the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba.

Published

on

Maestro de Braga is the first Portuguese in the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba.

Maestro Filipe Cunha, Artistic Director of the Philharmonic Orchestra of Braga, has been invited to conduct the Cuban National Symphony Orchestra, as announced today.

According to a statement sent by O MINHO, “he will be the first Portuguese conductor to conduct this orchestra in its entire history.”

In addition to this orchestra, the maestro will also work with the Lyceo Mozarteum de la Habana Symphony Orchestra.

The concerts will take place on 4 and 12 March 2023 at the National Theater of Cuba in Havana.

In the words of the maestro, quoted in the statement, “these will be very beautiful concerts with difficult but very complex pieces” and therefore he feels “very motivated”.

From the very beginning, Rachmaninoff’s Piano Concerto No. 2 will be performed by an Italian pianist (Luigi Borzillo), whom the maestro wants to bring to Portugal later this year. In the same concert, Mendelshon’s First Symphony will be performed.

Then, at the second concert, in the company of the Mexican clarinetist Angel Zedillo, he will perform the Louis Sfora Concerto No. 2. In this concert, the maestro also conducts Tchaikovsky’s Fifth Symphony.

“This is an international recognition of my work. An invitation that I accept with humility and great responsibility. I was surprised to learn that I would be the first Portuguese member of the Cuban National Symphony Orchestra. This is a very great honor,” the maestro said in a statement.

“I take with me the name of the city of Braga and Portugal with all the responsibility that goes with it, and I hope to do a good job there, leaving a good image and putting on great concerts. These will be very special concerts because, in addition to performing pieces that I love, especially Rachmaninov and Tchaikovsky, I will be directing two wonderful soloists who are also my friends. It will be very beautiful,” concludes Filipe Cunha.

See also  Portugal will return the key corona virus to some areas in Lisbon, the prime minister said

Continue Reading

Trending