Connect with us

Top News

Memorial Day is even more heartbreaking for veteran relatives in the midst of coronavirus

Published

on

Memorial Day is even more heartbreaking for veteran relatives in the midst of coronavirus

Memorial Day is becoming increasingly heartbreaking amid coronavirus.

With most countries confined, relatives who were late military veterans were allowed to respect their relatives without the support of traditional parades or the memories of grave groups.

And for some veteran families, contagion will not only prevent special public warnings on Monday, but also what actually kills their loved ones.

“Veterans should be treated, and they don’t. This is despicable,” said Rosemarie Rado, whose father, Korean War veteran Daniel Rado, 92, died of COVID-19 at Paramus Veterans Home in New Jersey about three weeks ago.

The government-run nursing home has become a famous epicenter for the virus in the country, with at least 79 deaths from the corona virus.

Louise Lombardi, 61, from Baldwin, LI, said she usually participates every year in the Across America Flags event, where volunteers place small Old Glories on tombstones in military cemeteries for holidays.

But this year, because of social rules that keep away from deadly pandemics, he wore a mask on Sunday – and personally stuck a flag to the ground in his father’s grave, World War II veterinarian Joseph Lombardi, at the Long Island National Cemetery in Farmingdale.

“There are many veterinarians there today who are disappointed because this event cannot take place,” Lombardi told The Post of the Flag-Group.

“For the people we remember, things don’t matter to them,” said the Long Island woman, whose father died 55 years ago. “They still have to fight for our freedom.

“Nothing is locked for them.”

Louise Lombardi respected his father with his fiancé Dan Bailey.
Louise Lombardi respected his father with his fiancé Dan Bailey.Photo by Al Bello / Getty Images

Kristie Espinal’s 94-year-old grandfather, Joseph Guagenti, a Purple Heart recipient from Queens who served in World War II, died of suspected coronavirus at the end of April.

See also  Hot Property: Kelly Clarkson sells the Encino house for $ 10 million

He said the holiday would be very difficult this year due to the death of his grandfather – and the lack of public meetings to honor heroes like him.

“They usually hold a small Memorial Day parade in our neighborhood, but unfortunately, it was canceled,” said Espinal, who is like her grandfather from Howard Beach.

“So [Monday], we will respect other veterans who are still alive and 99 years old, and people will drive and pass his house because he is stuck at home and very sad.

“I will take my two sons … [and] in honor of Grampa, we will pass, we will wave. What else can you do? ” she says.

Espinal, 38, said that fortunately, his grandfather was laid in a mausoleum, and his family was still able to visit the site.

“I cannot imagine being told that you cannot go and see your loved ones at this time, when you want to remember, ” he said of other families and their friends who had been told not to gather in large groups on grave sites .

“They play a very important role for this country, and not being able to respect them as they should be respected is terrible,” he said of late service members. “For me, veterans are No. 1. ‘

Arnold Haber’s son, Mitchel, whose Bronx-born father served in the Korean War and died of a corona virus in the Paramus nursing home in April, told The Post that veterans still living at the facility must despair because of a devastated holiday.

See also  The Portuguese Championship is here! :: zerozero.pt

“This is their vacation, and there is no one there to celebrate,” he said.

On a regular Remembrance Day, “We will be in a nursing home throwing a party. They always have a great party, with entertainment, “said Mitchel Haber.

“They didn’t do it this year because of a virus,” he said.

“That [veterans] who remember, they look forward to this day. That would be very quiet for them. ‘

His son added that his father was very proud of his ministry and would wear an American flag baseball cap every day and fly the flag on his wheelchair.

“He is a staff photographer for his unit. … He will always tell stories, he remembers everything, “Mitchel said.

“He could not get military forces because of a pandemic,” his son said. “But it will be” something he will love. “

Another Paramus veteran home resident and veteran, Robert Hopp, died of COVID-19 in April.

Vietnam War veterinarian and 70 year old Purple Heart recipient.

His family said they did not know how they would commemorate his heroism on this Remembrance Day.

“We haven’t even been able to hold a funeral for him,” J.J’s stepson. Said Brania-Hopp. “Actually there is nothing we can do at this time. All we might do is talk about him, maybe walk in the sun. “

According to the federal Veterans Affairs Department, more than 1,000 veterans have died from viruses throughout the country – although that number does not include hundreds who surrendered to facilities such as the Paramus nursing home.

With AP

See also  Brian Winters faces an uphill battle to list Week 1

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

Who is Paulo Bento, the Portuguese coach from South Korea who coached Cruzeiro?

Published

on

Goal.com

The coach commanded the Portuguese national team at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil and left the South Korean national team after being eliminated in Qatar.

Portuguese coach Paulo Bento qualified South Korea for the playoffs of the World Cup, something the team had not achieved since 2010, when the South Korean team reached the 1/8 finals of this championship. But 4-1 rout against Brazil as a result, shortened the path of the Asian team, as well as put an end to the work of Paulo Sousa in the national team.

Paulo Bento started his career as a coach with the youth team of Sporting Clube Portugal in 2004. At the club, he commanded the youth team for two seasons, winning the junior national tournament in his first year. Incidentally, the coach took over the first team shortly after he announced his retirement as a player.

Given his prominence in the youth categories, Paulo was chosen to replace José Peseiro, who was eliminated in European competition, in the professional team of Sporting CP for the 2005 season./2006.

Professionally, Bento was runner-up for four seasons in a row in the Portuguese Championship. Despite this, the coach won two Portuguese Cups and two Candido de Oliveira Super Cups. On November 6, 2009, the coach resigned.

Having distinguished himself at Sporting, Paulo Bento was announced as Portugal’s coach on 21 September 2010 after the World Cup in South Africa, where the then-champion Spain was selected in the round of 16.

Gettyimages

In qualifying, the coach managed to show good results in the first games, plus, of course, take Portugal to the semi-finals of Euro 2012, taking off from Spain on penalties. Having stood out in competitions, the coach extended the contract until Euro 2016.

See also  The Portuguese Championship is here! :: zerozero.pt

However, after losing to Albania in qualifying for Euro 2016, the coach could not resist and was fired in September 2014. The unsuccessful campaign at the World Cup of the same year in Brazil also affected.

After the Portugal national team, Paulo Bento returned to Brazil in May 2016, but this time to coach the Cruzeiro club. With a contract until December 2017, the coach made his debut in the second round of the Brasileirão the same year.

Paulo Bento Cruzeiro Brazilian Championship in Sao Paulo 05062016Washington Alves/Light Press/Cruzeiro

However, Bento only lasted 17 matches in power with six wins, three draws and eight losses, leaving the team in second-to-last place in the tournament.

On 11 August 2016, the coach was announced as the new commander of Olympiacos, Greece, where he remained until 6 March 2017, winning the Greek title. Following this, Paulo Bento was announced as Chongqing Dangdai of China leading the team for only 15 matches.

20221124 Paulo BentoGetty Images

On August 16, 2018, Paulo Bento was announced as the new coach of South Korea following the departure of Shin Tae-yong, who lost in the group stage of the 2018 World Cup.

As part of the South Korean national team, the coach has 55 wins, 12 draws and eight losses, having won the East Asian Cup title and classified the team at the 2022 World Cup in Qatar. After being knocked out against Brazil in the 1/8 finals, the Portuguese announced his retirement from the national team.

Continue Reading

Top News

Pioli ‘pulls’ Leao by the ears and says the Portuguese ‘must make a dash’

Published

on

Pioli 'pulls' Leao by the ears and says the Portuguese 'must make a dash'

FROMTefano Pioli, Milan coach, gave an interview on the Italian radio program Sky Calcio Club on Sunday in which he talked about Rafael Leao’s participation in the 2022 Mundial, a test in which the Portuguese striker was a replacement for Fernando Santos. ‘, indicating that he has been talking to his player over the past few days.

“If we talk? They have an obligation to call me at the end of the game. He is happy because Portugal is doing well. It is clear that he would like to play more. I can take advantage of this for a contract extension,” said Pioli, who also spoke about the Portuguese’s renewal process.

“He is fine with us and management and Rafael are talking. We are waiting for good news,” the Transalpine coach fired.

Looking at his player’s short playing time at this 2022 World Cup, Pioli admitted that Rafael Leau would like to have more playing time for the national team, but hinted that the Portuguese striker is not unhappy.

“If he plays a little? It’s hard to judge because Portugal has a very high quality team. Rafael is happy because Portugal is having a good World Cup, but there is a lot of quality and competitiveness in the attacking sector of the Portuguese team. “, – stressed the coach of the Italian, who also left a small warning to Rafael Leau.

“When you see him in training, you immediately understand that he has incredible potential. He has technique and speed that few others have. Over the course of a period, he had to develop and adapt to the reality at Milan, where the pressure is different from what he is. he was in Lille. It took time, but his potential to become a great player was always there. But he still needs to make the leap to become a champion because he can be even more decisive in the opponent’s zone,” he stressed.

See also  Trump's reluctance to wear face masks sends fatal messages (opinions)

“If you think about Rafael from two years ago, he has made tremendous progress. He’s missing a few things, but he’s smart and approachable. I can give him all the ideas he wants, but his talent must be left free. should improve his heading, given his physique,” he concluded.

Read also: Spaniards say Carlo Ancelotti is “in love” with Rafael Leao

Always be the first to know.
Sixth year in a row Consumer Choice and Five Star Online Press Award.
Download our free app.

Apple Store Download

Continue Reading

Top News

Portugal, nuts and the Portuguese consumer: a successful trilogy

Published

on

Portugal, nuts and the Portuguese consumer: a successful trilogy

Nuts have become part of a limited group of Portuguese agri-food sectors that manage to achieve much-desired food self-sufficiency. In the case of almonds it is 170% and in the case of chestnuts it is 116% in relation to the national consumption.

The value of Portuguese agricultural production in 2021 was 9.6 billion euros, representing a growth rate of 14.6% compared to 2020, and therefore it is fair to say that dried fruits today, with a production of 80,000 tons and exports reaching 100 million euros contributed. to this success.

Continue Reading

Trending