Connect with us

Top News

Italy coronavirus: Covid-19 ‘tsunami’ engulfed a whole generation. Now their family wants an answer

Published

on

italy lombardy coronavirus covid 19 pandemic hospitals care homes deaths wedeman pkg intl ldn vpx _00004101

Simple white plastic crosses mark each grave. Signed on each cross is a piece of paper bearing the family name, sometimes with the initials, sometimes with the first name. There is no date of birth. There is no date of death. Grave workers have placed a single plastic flower in each grave.

Herein lies those who surrender to the coronavirus in Milan, but whose bodies cannot yet be claimed.

An official at the funeral, who asked that his name not be used, told me that most of them were old and in nursing homes. Many, he continued, do not have a family. In some cases, the victim’s family cannot claim the body because it was locked.

With the gorges fully filled, and more and more dying every day at the peak of the plague, the authorities at the Italian coronavirus hotspot have little choice but to bury unclaimed dead like this. If their families come forward to claim the corpse after the epidemic is over, their bodies will be dug up and buried again.

Those who are laid here die alone. Then again, with coronavirus, almost everyone dies alone.

Carla Porfirio really wants to be with her mother at the last moment.

Before the coronavirus outbreak, he visited his mother Michela, 85, who has Alzheimer’s disease, every day at the extensive Palazzolo-Don Gnocchi Institute nursing home in Milan.

When a nursing home suddenly stopped relatives from visiting their loved ones when the virus spread, Porfirio said he called every day to ask about his mother. Every day the staff convinced him that Michela was fine.

Porfirio worried that he was not told when his mother became ill. When he called home on Sunday 5 April, he was told that Michela had been given oxygen and given morphine.

He died the next day.

Carla Porfirio's 85-year-old mother died in a nursing home in Italy.

“What is very tragic for those of us who lost their loved ones,” Porfirio told CNN, his voice breaking with emotion, is that “we cannot get close to them in their last days when they suffer. They need their hands. loved. “

At the height of the raging pandemic in northern Italy, the regional government of Lombardy asked nursing homes to provide space for uncritical Covid-19 patients, to ease the huge burden on hospitals.

Porfirio said the Palazzolo-Don Gnocchi nursing home put one patient in the same room as his mother and two other elderly women.

When Porfirio protested, he said a staff member told him that the house had no choice; it’s running out of space.

The Palazzolo-Don Gnocchi Institute told CNN in a statement that “starting with the detection of the first case … at the Palazzolo Institute, the Don Gnocchi Foundation began the procedure of isolation, mapping, and swab testing on contacts exposed to the risk of transmission. … All positive cases Covid-19 is handled in accordance with the protocol provided by the authorities, and in coordination with the authorities themselves. “

See also  Parties vote against free Portuguese language education abroad | Assembly of the Republic

The agency did not respond to Carla Porfirio’s claim about her mother’s care.

The Italian government is investigating a series of health violations in nursing homes across the country during the Covid-19 crisis.

The Palazzolo-Don Gnocchi Institute believes the investigation will show that their work is feasible.

“We are sure that the brief report submitted by the Foundation’s attorney at the Milan Public Prosecutors Office and documents which were later obtained by the judiciary will confirm the truth of the Foundation’s work in the context of this health emergency,” he said.

Two countries that show life outside lockdown are not what people think they are

The Lombardy regional government told CNN that they did not give interviews about “the problem of nursing homes,” because of ongoing investigations.

At least 15 facilities have been closed and their patients moved after inspection by the Italian Police health force – Nuclei Antisofisticazione e Sanita (NAS) – found that many failed to follow the coronavirus protocol, including providing adequate protective equipment for staff and special quarantine areas. for suspected coronavirus patients.

Sixty-one people have been referred to judicial authorities. Another 157 people have been fined a total of more than $ 78,500 (72,000 euros).

Like many people who have lost loved ones in nursing homes due to coronavirus, Carla Porfirio is angry.

“This is uncivilized,” he said. “We are in 2020 and this is still happening? The pictures are like the Spanish flu epidemic 100 years ago. And are we in the same condition?” he asked.

Asking for answers

Not long ago, Alessandro Azzoni said that his mother, 75-year-old Marisa was physically strong and responsive, despite suffering from Alzheimer’s. He regularly took her for walks, for ice cream, dancing in the park.

Now Marisa is in critical condition, at life support, in a Milan hospital after being transferred from the Pio Albergo Trivulzio nursing home.

The Pio Albergo Trivulzio nursing home also received Covid-19 patients, and the virus spread.

Azzoni presented the diagram on his telephone at his mother’s nursing home, based on information from doctors and nurses who were said to be working at home. Most of the maps are red in color, showing wards which now hold 19 patients.

The house is being investigated for various homicide complaints filed by staff and relatives of patients who say it failed to protect residents and medical workers against infections.

Just out of medical school, young Italian doctors are being tracked quickly to the forefront of coronavirus

Milan Public Prosecutor Mauro Clerici said last month he was looking for “more than 100 deaths,” at home during the Covid-19 epidemic.

See also  The Mississippi state legislature passed a bill to remove the confederate symbol from the state flag in a historic vote

Clerici said the investigation would focus on “what crimes might have been committed in accordance with existing laws as applied to the pandemic.”

No arrests were made and no one was charged in this case.

A spokesman for the nursing home Pio Albergo Trivulzio declined to comment out of respect for investigators, saying that they needed to “work freely and without any pressure.”

Last month, a spokesman for the house told CNN that “rules on masks were followed,” adding that the number of deaths in the first quarter of 2020 was in line with those in the same period last year.

Azzoni, who founded the group demanding a criminal investigation into what happened at Pio Albergo Trivulzio, described it as “a massacre.”

With the investigation, he said, “We have the opportunity to completely change things, to bring people back to the center.”

The Lombardy region accounted for about half of Italy 32,169 people died from the virus.

The main nursing home of Nembro, where in just a few weeks many of its inhabitants died from the virus.

One of the hardest hit communities in Lombardy is the city of Nembro, at the foot of the Alps.

Of the 87 residents in the main nursing home of Nembro, the Nembro Nursing Home Foundation, 34 died of the virus.

While law enforcement will not comment on whether the house is being investigated, its director, Barbara Codalli, told CNN there were no allegations of making a mistake on the house which, he said, had never taken a Covid patient.

As soon as staff realized that the virus had spread to the house, Codalli said: “We decided to close the structure to the family and to close child care, even if we did not know at the time what was really happening, but with the feeling that something unusual was being happen. ”

“We started using PPE, masks, it wasn’t easy because finding them was difficult, we found them at unreasonable prices,” he added.

When northern Italy was damaged by a coronavirus, a problem arose in the south

But still, the house was overwhelmed by a virus, which, according to Codalli, severely beat its staff, killed its president and one of its doctors.

He blamed the provincial health authority for being late in testing nursing home residents.

The regional government of Lombardy, which oversees health authorities, will not comment citing ongoing investigations.

Barbara Codalli notes that when the first case becomes clear in the third week of February, it takes weeks for the swabs to be done.

“The first swabs were made on April 10,” he said, “regardless of what some people claim on television.”

The Mayor of Nembro, Claudio Cancelli, confirmed to CNN that the first swabs, from the most severe patients at home, were taken starting on April 10; he said that testing of all remaining staff and patients only began on April 23.

Fresh tombs at Nembro cemetery. The city is suffering from one of the highest per capita fatalities in Italy as a result of coronavirus. The caretaker and funeral worker are busy.

At Nembro, we looked for death notices – but only found the last two notices. We called the funeral home to ask where we could find more. The caretaker explained that the city of Nembro had deleted everything except the latest, to avoid moral damage in the city.

See also  Portuguese elected general secretary of the Federation of Catholic Doctors

Mayor Cancelli confirmed that the death notification had been removed, but denied that there was an official order to do so in order to increase the morale of the residents. He insisted the decision was based on common sense, adding that if it improved morale, he was satisfied with it.

A series of notices from early March were found next to Nembro’s funeral which showed that in only three days – 7 to 9 March – five elderly men and women had died.

The funeral was finally held again at Nembro when the lockdown in Italy died down.

‘The tsunami overwhelmed us’

Giacomo Boffelli, 84, died on March 11. Friends and family were finally able to say goodbye two months later, at a simple ceremony near the entrance to the city cemetery.

His daughter, Nicoletta, read a statement. “We have never left you. We will never do it, because you will always be in our hearts.”

& # 39; The sea is noisy and the captain dances on the deck. & # 39; One view of the US from Italy during the coronavirus

Giacomo’s widow, Margherita, sat and listened, the mask covering her nose and mouth wet from tears.

After the ceremony, when Giacomo’s ashes were placed in the family grave, Nicoletta told me: “The woman who worked here at the funeral said that all these parts were empty before, and now they are full.”

Indeed fresh images mark the graves of people who have just died. Undertaker and grave digger are the busiest people in Nembro now.

“It’s as if the tsunami hit us, especially the oldest people,” Nicoletta said.

Spring has arrived in Lombardy. In the cities and towns of the region, people roam outside to enjoy the weather and their first signs of freedom, as the lockdown subsides.

But unlike other parts of Italy where coronavirus victims are lighter, in Lombardy a little sadness hangs in the air.

Beppe Severgnini, a daily columnist for Corriere della Sera, who lives in the devastated city of Crema, explained: “Very sad. Every time I open the death news page from a local newspaper, I find so many people I know have died. An entire generation is being annihilated.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

Who is Paulo Bento, the Portuguese coach from South Korea who coached Cruzeiro?

Published

on

Goal.com

The coach commanded the Portuguese national team at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil and left the South Korean national team after being eliminated in Qatar.

Portuguese coach Paulo Bento qualified South Korea for the playoffs of the World Cup, something the team had not achieved since 2010, when the South Korean team reached the 1/8 finals of this championship. But 4-1 rout against Brazil as a result, shortened the path of the Asian team, as well as put an end to the work of Paulo Sousa in the national team.

Paulo Bento started his career as a coach with the youth team of Sporting Clube Portugal in 2004. At the club, he commanded the youth team for two seasons, winning the junior national tournament in his first year. Incidentally, the coach took over the first team shortly after he announced his retirement as a player.

Given his prominence in the youth categories, Paulo was chosen to replace José Peseiro, who was eliminated in European competition, in the professional team of Sporting CP for the 2005 season./2006.

Professionally, Bento was runner-up for four seasons in a row in the Portuguese Championship. Despite this, the coach won two Portuguese Cups and two Candido de Oliveira Super Cups. On November 6, 2009, the coach resigned.

Having distinguished himself at Sporting, Paulo Bento was announced as Portugal’s coach on 21 September 2010 after the World Cup in South Africa, where the then-champion Spain was selected in the round of 16.

Gettyimages

In qualifying, the coach managed to show good results in the first games, plus, of course, take Portugal to the semi-finals of Euro 2012, taking off from Spain on penalties. Having stood out in competitions, the coach extended the contract until Euro 2016.

See also  ASUS ZenFone 7 Pro review: triple flip camera

However, after losing to Albania in qualifying for Euro 2016, the coach could not resist and was fired in September 2014. The unsuccessful campaign at the World Cup of the same year in Brazil also affected.

After the Portugal national team, Paulo Bento returned to Brazil in May 2016, but this time to coach the Cruzeiro club. With a contract until December 2017, the coach made his debut in the second round of the Brasileirão the same year.

Paulo Bento Cruzeiro Brazilian Championship in Sao Paulo 05062016Washington Alves/Light Press/Cruzeiro

However, Bento only lasted 17 matches in power with six wins, three draws and eight losses, leaving the team in second-to-last place in the tournament.

On 11 August 2016, the coach was announced as the new commander of Olympiacos, Greece, where he remained until 6 March 2017, winning the Greek title. Following this, Paulo Bento was announced as Chongqing Dangdai of China leading the team for only 15 matches.

20221124 Paulo BentoGetty Images

On August 16, 2018, Paulo Bento was announced as the new coach of South Korea following the departure of Shin Tae-yong, who lost in the group stage of the 2018 World Cup.

As part of the South Korean national team, the coach has 55 wins, 12 draws and eight losses, having won the East Asian Cup title and classified the team at the 2022 World Cup in Qatar. After being knocked out against Brazil in the 1/8 finals, the Portuguese announced his retirement from the national team.

Continue Reading

Top News

Pioli ‘pulls’ Leao by the ears and says the Portuguese ‘must make a dash’

Published

on

Pioli 'pulls' Leao by the ears and says the Portuguese 'must make a dash'

FROMTefano Pioli, Milan coach, gave an interview on the Italian radio program Sky Calcio Club on Sunday in which he talked about Rafael Leao’s participation in the 2022 Mundial, a test in which the Portuguese striker was a replacement for Fernando Santos. ‘, indicating that he has been talking to his player over the past few days.

“If we talk? They have an obligation to call me at the end of the game. He is happy because Portugal is doing well. It is clear that he would like to play more. I can take advantage of this for a contract extension,” said Pioli, who also spoke about the Portuguese’s renewal process.

“He is fine with us and management and Rafael are talking. We are waiting for good news,” the Transalpine coach fired.

Looking at his player’s short playing time at this 2022 World Cup, Pioli admitted that Rafael Leau would like to have more playing time for the national team, but hinted that the Portuguese striker is not unhappy.

“If he plays a little? It’s hard to judge because Portugal has a very high quality team. Rafael is happy because Portugal is having a good World Cup, but there is a lot of quality and competitiveness in the attacking sector of the Portuguese team. “, – stressed the coach of the Italian, who also left a small warning to Rafael Leau.

“When you see him in training, you immediately understand that he has incredible potential. He has technique and speed that few others have. Over the course of a period, he had to develop and adapt to the reality at Milan, where the pressure is different from what he is. he was in Lille. It took time, but his potential to become a great player was always there. But he still needs to make the leap to become a champion because he can be even more decisive in the opponent’s zone,” he stressed.

See also  The Mississippi state legislature passed a bill to remove the confederate symbol from the state flag in a historic vote

“If you think about Rafael from two years ago, he has made tremendous progress. He’s missing a few things, but he’s smart and approachable. I can give him all the ideas he wants, but his talent must be left free. should improve his heading, given his physique,” he concluded.

Read also: Spaniards say Carlo Ancelotti is “in love” with Rafael Leao

Always be the first to know.
Sixth year in a row Consumer Choice and Five Star Online Press Award.
Download our free app.

Apple Store Download

Continue Reading

Top News

Portugal, nuts and the Portuguese consumer: a successful trilogy

Published

on

Portugal, nuts and the Portuguese consumer: a successful trilogy

Nuts have become part of a limited group of Portuguese agri-food sectors that manage to achieve much-desired food self-sufficiency. In the case of almonds it is 170% and in the case of chestnuts it is 116% in relation to the national consumption.

The value of Portuguese agricultural production in 2021 was 9.6 billion euros, representing a growth rate of 14.6% compared to 2020, and therefore it is fair to say that dried fruits today, with a production of 80,000 tons and exports reaching 100 million euros contributed. to this success.

Continue Reading

Trending