Connect with us

Top News

Inside the cleared obstacle course

Published

on

Inside the cleared obstacle course

Rick Schosberg starts Monday at 4:15 am when he arrives at Belmont Park to train his horses and help nearly 600 backstretch workers who call home to stay safe during the coronavirus era.

The race will finally return to Belmont on Wednesday, but the work of training and caring for horses never stops, even when the pandemic begins to close the country in March.

“This is a totally new world out there, but I think everyone really shows an incentive to do everything they can to show that there is power and the governor’s office that we are really serious about making sure everyone stays healthy while we will do business everyday, “Schosberg, veteran trainer and chair of the Horsemen’s New York Thoroughbred Association backstretch / safety committee, told The Post on Friday.

“I think the backstretch community and all organizations, working together in one step for one single initiative, not only helped us so far but also moved forward, it shows we can communicate and we can work together on all initiatives to improve our industry. As our governor said, we don’t want to go back to where we were before, we want to be better. “

Rick Schosberg
Coach Rick SchosbergN.Y. Post: Charles Wenzelberg

So Schosberg gets up early. Monday is the distribution day for masks and gloves and other personal protective equipment, and Schosberg is part of a group that helps facilitate it. He checked the barns around his barn and made sure everything was complete for the next week.

When he gets to the warehouse, it’s time to check the temperature. In addition to what is done for anyone who enters through Gate 6, each trainer now has a thermal thermometer and is asked to measure the temperature of all working staff. If the barn has 40 horses, there may be eight grooms and eight hot pedestrians and five sports racers and assistant coaches to check in, each playing an important role in the day-to-day care of the race horses, no matter whether there is a race to run or not.

See also  Withdrawal of German troops highlights the increasing wealth of the two White House allies amidst Esper's isolation

“We run our business in new, more creative ways,” Schosberg said. “Like when a horse returns from the track, instead of having three people in the stall, there are two people in the stall. So they stay far apart. … And then the groom will drive the horse into the barn or go out to the washing area for aids. the road was hot, so they stayed far apart, and then during the washing period, there was a lot of safe distance between the two people while they were still keeping their faces covered.

“So it’s a little different, it looks a little different, but it works.”

Working in a warehouse can be a dirty job, so washing your hands early and often has become part of the daily routine for the groom. Now there is even more cleaning – everything from pitchforks and rakes to pens is cleaned and removed with either bleach products or washing isopropyl alcohol every morning, Schosberg said.

It took the efforts of the team from NYTHA, the New York Racing Association, the Backstretch Employee Service Team and the New York Race Track Chaplaincy – led by “heroic” captain Humberto Chavez, Schosberg said – to adapt to the new normal, which began by establishing quarantine facilities when COVID-19 start attacking the country. The Belmont backstretch community did indeed lose one of its belongings in April, when a 63-year-old groom, Martin Zapata, died of complications from a coronavirus.

But Schosberg said health protocols and the use of protective equipment had helped make a “big difference” in keeping people safe, paving the way for Wednesday’s opening race day.

See also  Lute Olson, Who Place Arizona on Higher education Basketball Map, Dies at 85

“I don’t think you need to be a rocket scientist to find out the fact that this thing works if it’s used properly,” Schosberg said. “If we are going to reach our goal, to get back racing and hopefully someday with our owners to be able to see their horses and maybe a limited size crowd at some point in the future, don’t take our feet off the accelerator. “

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

Portuguese historical films will premiere on 29 December.

Published

on

Portuguese historical films will premiere on 29 December.

Method Media Bermuda will present the documentary FABRIC: Portuguese History in Bermuda on Thursday, December 29 at the Underwater Research Institute of Bermuda.

A spokesperson said: “Method Media is proud to bring Bermuda Fabric: Portugal History to Bermuda for its 5th and 6th showing at the Bermuda Underwater Observatory. In November and December 2019, Cloth: A Portuguese Story in Bermuda had four sold-out screenings. Now that Bermuda has reopened after the pandemic, it’s time to bring the film back for at least two screenings.

“There are tickets Ptix.bm For $ 20 – sessions at 15:30 and 18:00. Both screenings will be followed by a short Q&A session.

Director and producer Milton Raboso says, “FABRIC is a definitive account of the Portuguese community in Bermuda and its 151 years of history, but it also places Bermuda, Acors and Portugal in the world history and the events that have fueled those 151 years.

“It took more than 10 years to implement FABRIC. The film was supported by the Minister of Culture, the Government of the Azores and private donors.

Bermuda Media Method [MMB] Created in 2011 by producer Milton Raposo. MMB has created content for a wide range of clients: Bermuda’s new hospital renovation, reinsurance, travel campaigns, international sports and more. MMB pays special attention to artistic, cultural and historical content.

More about

#History of Bermuda #A photo #Portuguese

Model: Everybody, Entertainment, Movies/Movies, History, News

See also  North Korea sends troops to inter-Korean cooperation locations
Continue Reading

Top News

CRISTANO RONALDO CAN MAKE UP A GIANT IN CARIOCA AND PORTUGUESE TECHNICIAN SAYS ‘There will be room’

Published

on

CRISTANO RONALDO CAN MAKE UP A GIANT IN CARIOCA AND PORTUGUESE TECHNICIAN SAYS 'There will be room'

News

This is a fact or event of journalistic interest. This may be new or recent information. This also applies to the novelty of an already known situation.

Article

Mostly original text. Expresses the opinion of the author, but not necessarily the opinion of the newspaper. It can be written by journalists or specialists from different fields.

Investigative

A report that contains unknown facts or episodes with a pronounced denunciatory content. This requires special methods and resources.

Content commerce

Editorial content that offers the reader conditions for making purchases.

Analysis

This is the interpretation of the news, taking into account information that goes beyond the facts told. It uses data, brings events and scenario forecasts, as well as past contexts.

Editorial

Analytical text translating the official position of the vehicle in relation to the facts covered.

Sponsored

This is an institutional article on a topic of interest to the company sponsoring the report.

fact checking

Content that confirms the accuracy and authenticity of the disclosed information or facts.

Context

This is an article that brings subsidies, historical data and relevant information to help understand a fact or news.

special

An exciting report that details the various aspects and developments of this topic. It brings data, statistics, historical context, as well as stories of characters that are affected by or directly related to the topic in question.

Criticism

A text with detailed analysis and opinions on products, services and works of art in a wide variety of fields such as literature, music, film and visual arts.

Continue Reading

Top News

Maestro de Braga is the first Portuguese in the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba.

Published

on

Maestro de Braga is the first Portuguese in the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba.

Maestro Filipe Cunha, Artistic Director of the Philharmonic Orchestra of Braga, has been invited to conduct the Cuban National Symphony Orchestra, as announced today.

According to a statement sent by O MINHO, “he will be the first Portuguese conductor to conduct this orchestra in its entire history.”

In addition to this orchestra, the maestro will also work with the Lyceo Mozarteum de la Habana Symphony Orchestra.

The concerts will take place on 4 and 12 March 2023 at the National Theater of Cuba in Havana.

In the words of the maestro, quoted in the statement, “these will be very beautiful concerts with difficult but very complex pieces” and therefore he feels “very motivated”.

From the very beginning, Rachmaninoff’s Piano Concerto No. 2 will be performed by an Italian pianist (Luigi Borzillo), whom the maestro wants to bring to Portugal later this year. In the same concert, Mendelshon’s First Symphony will be performed.

Then, at the second concert, in the company of the Mexican clarinetist Angel Zedillo, he will perform the Louis Sfora Concerto No. 2. In this concert, the maestro also conducts Tchaikovsky’s Fifth Symphony.

“This is an international recognition of my work. An invitation that I accept with humility and great responsibility. I was surprised to learn that I would be the first Portuguese member of the Cuban National Symphony Orchestra. This is a very great honor,” the maestro said in a statement.

“I take with me the name of the city of Braga and Portugal with all the responsibility that goes with it, and I hope to do a good job there, leaving a good image and putting on great concerts. These will be very special concerts because, in addition to performing pieces that I love, especially Rachmaninov and Tchaikovsky, I will be directing two wonderful soloists who are also my friends. It will be very beautiful,” concludes Filipe Cunha.

See also  North Korea sends troops to inter-Korean cooperation locations

Continue Reading

Trending