Connect with us

Top News

Gilbert Burns whipped Tyron Woodley unanimously

Published

on

Gilbert Burns whipped Tyron Woodley unanimously

LAS VEGAS – Gilbert Burns dominated former UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley to win a unanimous decision on Saturday night in returning a mixed martial arts promotion to Las Vegas.

Brazilian heavyweight Augusto Sakai used an unpunished game to increase victory over Blagoy Ivanov’s double decision from Bulgaria in the final battle of the first UFC show in his hometown since the coronavirus pandemic began.

The event was held without fans at UFC Apex, a fitness center with broadcast facilities on the company’s promotional campus. UFC uses minimal personnel to hold battles, and the promotion says everyone involved is subject to strict health and safety protocols.

33-year-old Burns (19-3) dominates with his feet and on the ground, completing his first major event battle with the biggest possible win of his career and sixth consecutive victory since July 2018. The Florida-based Brazilian player out loud beat one one of the most successful welterweight classes in UFC history and made his case for shooting champion Kamaru Usman in the crowded 170-pound division.

All judges give all rounds to Burns, with a score of 50-45, 50-44 and 50-44.

Burns came out with great energy against Woodley, dropping the former champion in the opening seconds and getting a full ride. A gaping cut was opened in Woodley’s left eyebrow in the opening minutes, and Burns again overcame the famously strong Wooded defense to bring down Woodley again in the second half.

Woodley (19-5-1) has not fought since losing his title in a one-sided blow from Usman in March 2019. Woodley has ruled the division for nearly three years, and a 38-year-old University of Missouri graduate. said he was dealing with depression while debating whether to remain at MMA or to pursue a music career.

See also  Coronavirus survivor shares shocking photo of his body in hospital

Burns victory ended an entertaining performance at Apex, where the octagon was only 25 feet in diameter, compared to 30 feet in the most competitive cage. The compact dimensions usually lead to more aggressive battles, and this card shows six resolutions in 11 battles.

Gilbert Burns celebrates his victory over Tyron Woodley on Saturday.
Gilbert Burns celebrates his victory over Tyron Woodley on Saturday.Getty Images

Burns fought in the fanless arena for the second time in 2 1/2 months. He stopped veteran Demian Maia in Brasilia on March 14 at the UFC final event before stopping the competition.

After an eight-week break, the UFC returned to competition earlier this month with three eight-day shows in Jacksonville, Florida. With the ambition to hold cards almost weekly throughout the summer as part of its broad broadcast agreement with ESPN, the promotion moved its operations to its own facilities after the Nevada Athletics Commission agreed three days ago to allow the return of combat sports.

Although this card is quite light on the power of the stars, promotion will hold the UFC 250 next Saturday night from the same gym. Second division winner, Amanda Nunes featherweight defense against Canadian Felicia Spencer hit pay-per-view headlines.

UFC President Dana White continues to promise additional performances this summer from the so-called “Fight Island,” an undisclosed private island where promotions intend to host battles between fighters who cannot enter the U.S. due to health restrictions.

Sakai (15-1-1) remained unbeaten at the UFC with his fourth successive win when the two judges sided with him 29-28 after a fierce fight with Ivanov (18-4), who won 30-27 on the third judge card.

See also  Texas jury walks from Zoom court to receive phone call

Sakai escaped punishment from referee Jason Herzog in the third round when he blatantly grabbed the wall of the cage chain while trying to avoid Ivanov’s takedown.

Grabbing a cage is illegal and is punished with point deductions, but Herzog only warned Sakai verbally. The decision was greeted with distrust heard by Daniel Cormier, a former UFC heavyweight champion who worked in the lonely arena as a color commentator.

Heavyweight competitor Mackenzie Dern opened the main card by finishing Hannah Cifers with a knee bar which was the first leg-locking victory victory by a woman in UFC history. Dern (8-1) won his first victory since giving birth to his daughter last year.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

Who is Paulo Bento, the Portuguese coach from South Korea who coached Cruzeiro?

Published

on

Goal.com

The coach commanded the Portuguese national team at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil and left the South Korean national team after being eliminated in Qatar.

Portuguese coach Paulo Bento qualified South Korea for the playoffs of the World Cup, something the team had not achieved since 2010, when the South Korean team reached the 1/8 finals of this championship. But 4-1 rout against Brazil as a result, shortened the path of the Asian team, as well as put an end to the work of Paulo Sousa in the national team.

Paulo Bento started his career as a coach with the youth team of Sporting Clube Portugal in 2004. At the club, he commanded the youth team for two seasons, winning the junior national tournament in his first year. Incidentally, the coach took over the first team shortly after he announced his retirement as a player.

Given his prominence in the youth categories, Paulo was chosen to replace José Peseiro, who was eliminated in European competition, in the professional team of Sporting CP for the 2005 season./2006.

Professionally, Bento was runner-up for four seasons in a row in the Portuguese Championship. Despite this, the coach won two Portuguese Cups and two Candido de Oliveira Super Cups. On November 6, 2009, the coach resigned.

Having distinguished himself at Sporting, Paulo Bento was announced as Portugal’s coach on 21 September 2010 after the World Cup in South Africa, where the then-champion Spain was selected in the round of 16.

Gettyimages

In qualifying, the coach managed to show good results in the first games, plus, of course, take Portugal to the semi-finals of Euro 2012, taking off from Spain on penalties. Having stood out in competitions, the coach extended the contract until Euro 2016.

See also  Petclik promotes equality in Portuguese basketball sponsorship

However, after losing to Albania in qualifying for Euro 2016, the coach could not resist and was fired in September 2014. The unsuccessful campaign at the World Cup of the same year in Brazil also affected.

After the Portugal national team, Paulo Bento returned to Brazil in May 2016, but this time to coach the Cruzeiro club. With a contract until December 2017, the coach made his debut in the second round of the Brasileirão the same year.

Paulo Bento Cruzeiro Brazilian Championship in Sao Paulo 05062016Washington Alves/Light Press/Cruzeiro

However, Bento only lasted 17 matches in power with six wins, three draws and eight losses, leaving the team in second-to-last place in the tournament.

On 11 August 2016, the coach was announced as the new commander of Olympiacos, Greece, where he remained until 6 March 2017, winning the Greek title. Following this, Paulo Bento was announced as Chongqing Dangdai of China leading the team for only 15 matches.

20221124 Paulo BentoGetty Images

On August 16, 2018, Paulo Bento was announced as the new coach of South Korea following the departure of Shin Tae-yong, who lost in the group stage of the 2018 World Cup.

As part of the South Korean national team, the coach has 55 wins, 12 draws and eight losses, having won the East Asian Cup title and classified the team at the 2022 World Cup in Qatar. After being knocked out against Brazil in the 1/8 finals, the Portuguese announced his retirement from the national team.

Continue Reading

Top News

Pioli ‘pulls’ Leao by the ears and says the Portuguese ‘must make a dash’

Published

on

Pioli 'pulls' Leao by the ears and says the Portuguese 'must make a dash'

FROMTefano Pioli, Milan coach, gave an interview on the Italian radio program Sky Calcio Club on Sunday in which he talked about Rafael Leao’s participation in the 2022 Mundial, a test in which the Portuguese striker was a replacement for Fernando Santos. ‘, indicating that he has been talking to his player over the past few days.

“If we talk? They have an obligation to call me at the end of the game. He is happy because Portugal is doing well. It is clear that he would like to play more. I can take advantage of this for a contract extension,” said Pioli, who also spoke about the Portuguese’s renewal process.

“He is fine with us and management and Rafael are talking. We are waiting for good news,” the Transalpine coach fired.

Looking at his player’s short playing time at this 2022 World Cup, Pioli admitted that Rafael Leau would like to have more playing time for the national team, but hinted that the Portuguese striker is not unhappy.

“If he plays a little? It’s hard to judge because Portugal has a very high quality team. Rafael is happy because Portugal is having a good World Cup, but there is a lot of quality and competitiveness in the attacking sector of the Portuguese team. “, – stressed the coach of the Italian, who also left a small warning to Rafael Leau.

“When you see him in training, you immediately understand that he has incredible potential. He has technique and speed that few others have. Over the course of a period, he had to develop and adapt to the reality at Milan, where the pressure is different from what he is. he was in Lille. It took time, but his potential to become a great player was always there. But he still needs to make the leap to become a champion because he can be even more decisive in the opponent’s zone,” he stressed.

See also  Mark Cuban tried to recruit Michael Jordan to Mavericks when they first met

“If you think about Rafael from two years ago, he has made tremendous progress. He’s missing a few things, but he’s smart and approachable. I can give him all the ideas he wants, but his talent must be left free. should improve his heading, given his physique,” he concluded.

Read also: Spaniards say Carlo Ancelotti is “in love” with Rafael Leao

Always be the first to know.
Sixth year in a row Consumer Choice and Five Star Online Press Award.
Download our free app.

Apple Store Download

Continue Reading

Top News

Portugal, nuts and the Portuguese consumer: a successful trilogy

Published

on

Portugal, nuts and the Portuguese consumer: a successful trilogy

Nuts have become part of a limited group of Portuguese agri-food sectors that manage to achieve much-desired food self-sufficiency. In the case of almonds it is 170% and in the case of chestnuts it is 116% in relation to the national consumption.

The value of Portuguese agricultural production in 2021 was 9.6 billion euros, representing a growth rate of 14.6% compared to 2020, and therefore it is fair to say that dried fruits today, with a production of 80,000 tons and exports reaching 100 million euros contributed. to this success.

Continue Reading

Trending