Connect with us

Top News

Don’t let the riots thwart America’s search for justice

Published

on

Don't let the riots thwart America's search for justice

“That’s not a protest. That is not a statement. That people, a handful of people, take advantage of the situation for their own ends – and they need to be treated as criminals, “said the commander in chief …” … a number of criminals and thugs tore up the place. “

The president, of course, is Barack Obama, speaking of the riots that followed the protest over the 2015 death of Freddie Gray in Baltimore. The difference is that Obama faces a small reaction from the liberal media as Donald Trump did because he tweeted the same word to describe the looters: Thugs.

Both presidents are right. A thug is not black or white, a thug is a person who takes the anger of righteous people for injustice like George Floyd and burns an affordable housing complex. A thug is someone who uses protest to rob a Scores Sports Bar in Minneapolis, which is owned by a black firefighter, KB Balla, who pours every penny he has into the business.

A thug is someone who destroys a city, which led Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms to plead, “What I saw happening on the streets in Atlanta is not Atlanta. This is not a protest. This is not in the spirit of Martin Luther King, Jr. “

A thug is someone who just wants to see him burn, as Minnesota Governor Tim Walz said yesterday. “The situation in Minneapolis is not about the murder of George Floyd, it’s about attacking civil society, instilling fear, and disturbing our big cities. When you see this widespread throughout the United States, and you begin to see whether it is domestic terrorism, whether it is ideological extremists to fan groups, or whether it is international destabilization of the workings of our country. “

See also  AEK announced the departure of the Portuguese Andre Simoes

The way our country works. Slowly, sometimes frustrating. It is a measure of justice that Derek Chauvin, a police officer who had knelt on George Floyd’s neck for eight minutes, had been arrested and charged with third-degree murder. His fellow officers will also face charges. We hope to live on a day where men like George Floyd and Freddie Gray don’t die at first.

The American project continues, and the country is grappling with racism and justice every day. There will be protests to make things better, as they should, and we believe that in us as a nation to be better. We have to get better. And we cannot let the criminals frustrate that.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

Switzerland hosts Portuguese cinema in Locarno

Published

on

Europeus de motas de água vão passar em Entre-os-Rios

The film “Nasao Valente” by Carlos Conceisan is part of Film Festival in Locarnoin Switzerland in August, in an edition containing other Portuguese and co-produced works, out of competition.

According to the schedule for the 75th edition, released this Wednesday, the international feature film competition is hosting “Nacao Valente,” a feature film by Carlos Conceicao that, according to producer Terratreme Filmes, is about “the end of Portuguese colonialism, the independence of Angola.” and the Trauma of Colonial War.

The film features actors such as João Arraes, Anabela Moreira, Gustavo Sumpta and Leonor Silveira and was co-produced with France and Angola, where Carlos Conceição was born in 1979.

Carlos Conceição is the author of films such as Versailles presented in Locarno in 2013, Bad Bunny (2017), Serpentario (2019) and A Thread of Scarlet Spit (2020).

At the Locarno Film Festival, which will be held from 3 to 13 August, other Portuguese films will also be presented out of competition, namely “Where is this street? Or without before and after”, Joao Pedro Rodriguez and Joao Rui Guerra da Mata, also producer of Terratreme.

In Locarno, where they have already received awards, the two directors will present the premiere of a documentary filmed in Lisbon, revisiting the scenes of Paulo Rocha’s Os Verdes Anos (1963) with actress Isabelle Ruth.

Also out of competition and in the program dedicated to the first works will be “Objetos de Luz”, a visual reflection on the importance of light in cinematic creativity, signed by director of photography Acasio de Almeida and Marie Carré, producer of Bando à Part.

See also  Cristiano Ronaldo fell victim to a coup by millionaires, Portuguese newspaper reports

The “Pardi di domani” competition for short and medium films features the animated film “L’ombre des papillons” by Moroccan director Sophia El Hyari, co-produced by France, Qatar, Morocco and Portugal. Cola Animation.

Day of Despair (1992), a film by Manoel de Oliveira about the last days of the life of the writer Camilo Castelo Branco, will be screened in Locarno in the Film History(s) section.

On the eve of the Locarno festival, in Piazza Grande, the animated film “No Dogs and Italians” directed by Alain Ughetto, recently awarded in Annecy, a Portuguese co-production with Ocidental Filmes, will be screened. .

Giona A. Nazzaro, second year as Artistic Director of the Locarno Festival, described this year’s program as “broad, varied and comprehensive”.

#portugalpositive

Continue Reading

Top News

Portuguese heritage at the Jewish cemetery in Hamburg

Published

on

Portuguese heritage at the Jewish cemetery in Hamburg

The Jewish-Portuguese cemetery in Hamburg is an outstanding example of the Portuguese presence in the world, where history confirms the well-known ability of the Portuguese to adapt to the most unexpected contexts and situations.

Built in 1611 with over 1,500 graves recorded, according to some sources, the cemetery was officially closed almost a century and a half ago and is today a heavily visited site and the oldest in the city and northern Europe. You pass the gate that protects it, and the visitor is immediately enveloped in tall and scattered trees, which give shade and freshness to the tombstones inscribed in Portuguese, others in Hebrew, many covered with a veil of soot and moss, some fallen vertically.

Fleeing from Portugal due to the Inquisition at the end of the 16th century, the new Christians were well received in Hamburg, where they found a place to live without hiding their religion and Jewish rituals. Located then in one of the most noble districts of the city, the name of the Königstraße, Rua dos Reisis a reflection of this.

The land was acquired by the Portuguese merchants André Falero, Rui Cardoso and Alvaro Dinis, who won the sovereign’s favor and thus managed to ensure that “the Portuguese people could bury their dead,” the Sephardic Jews, according to the little book. Stone Archive – 400th Anniversary of the Jewish Cemetery in Königstraße. Through their actions, they have left to posterity an extraordinary legacy in which to find part of the history of Portugal and Hamburg, which certainly contributed to the fact that this city is today the most Portuguese in Germany, with countless traces of our presence, starting with the “Portuguese Quarter”, crowded with restaurants , to the old school ship Sagres anchored in port, from the ubiquitous custard tarts to the only bust of Vasco da Gama to be found abroad.

See also  Duchess of Sussex speaks: "George Floyd's life is important"

Later, the cemetery was expanded through the acquisition of adjacent land by Ashkenazi and German Jews, where members of illustrious families such as the poet Heinrich Heine or the philosopher Mendelssohn were buried.

The cemetery withstood the passage of time, wars and Nazi bombardments. Just as he resisted the theft and anti-Semitic vandalism that hit him several times, apparently on some of the tombstones, broken or damaged.

Continue Reading

Top News

Striker on loan to Corinthians must be agreed with Portuguese football; to know everything

Published

on

Striker on loan to Corinthians must be agreed with Portuguese football;  to know everything

Forward Madson is close to an exchange with Portuguese football. Loaned to Portugal’s Estrela da Amadora last European season, the player is in talks with teams in the country and is set to be released by the board – Corinthians’ idea is to keep a percentage of the rights open for future negotiations.

Madson was promoted to the Corinthians professional team after excelling in the youth scene. Having failed to establish himself in the first team due to a manager change at the time, the young man was loaned out to Fortaleza and then to Santa Cruz before heading to Europe.

According to the club’s latest balance sheet, Madson owns 50% of the economic rights associated with Timao. That is, it is possible that there will be a free release and preservation of this percentage in order to increase the rating of the 22-year-old athlete.

The procedure is similar to what has been done with other names recently out of Timão, such as midfielders Sornoza, transferred to Independiente del Valle, and Araos, now in Necas, Mexico.

Madson should not even be reinstated, unlike the trio who are also returning from loan to other clubs. His contract with Corinthians runs until December 2023.

For more information see: Madson de Souza, Base Corinthians and Loan Players.

See also  UCLA suspended the professor for rejecting leniency for black students
Continue Reading

Trending